Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 42 votes, 4.57 average. Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #1441
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,070
Epic dude.

Your productivity is the death of mine. There goes half a day.

Great work, I'm looking forward to seeing the continued evolution. Vans rule! Just don't forget about that poor 950...
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:49 AM   #1442
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
No 110 power.

i want this thing as simple as possible considering how much use it (won't) will get. It also has to be super compact as I think it is giong to end up in the island in the doorway (and be a removable module) . Similar to this (although I don't know if this is removeable):

Sink: is going to hook to a 5 gallon water bottle under the sink. Little 12 volt pump
Stove: I want to run off of portable camping bottles of propane.
Mr. Geek, where are you sourcing your modular/mobile ideas from? I would like to build some removable components to go from trailer to trailer. It would be nice to have each system in its own portable module that could be taken along in a as-needed basis.

Here is a crude endless hot water setup I made to throw in the horse trailer for remote use. It could be integrated into a nice cabinet module, I think.

dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:59 AM   #1443
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,151
Random photos off the internet

I got that pic from a facebook page for flarespace and the other pics from myvan.com. I'm going to make my modules using the same 8020 the rest is built out of.

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #1444
difuser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
While you are making the doors sliders can you also work with the track so that you can lift the doors up and out and then easily removed for larger item storage ingress egress?

difuser screwed with this post 01-24-2012 at 04:20 PM
difuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #1445
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,931
Dear Geek:

You what would make this van REALLY cool? Three words.

v

v

v

Gull wing doors.

Just sayin'

Now try to get THAT image out of your brain!

PS - love this thread.

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #1446
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Anyone know where I can buy a SMEV 8302 series in the US?

Specifically looking for the MO832207D000000

...or something equivelent/similar

Old 01-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #1447
Geek OP
oot & aboot

I ordered my 600/6000 hitch for the van on Monday afternoon.

I received an email saying "5-7 days processing" after I ordered it.

It just showed up via UPS.... something like 64 hours after I ordered it

Old 01-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #1448
Cycle61
wannabe

Oddometer: 325
Towing capacity on your rig?

I love towing stuff. Done it with every vehicle I've ever owned. Including my Yamaha Roadstar, and now, the Prelude.
Cycle61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #1449
Geek OP
oot & aboot

5K lbs
Old 01-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #1450
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,263
Quote:
Towing capacity on your rig?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek
6 bikes on a 10' trailer
Fixed.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #1451
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Not much to it...

Step 1 is remove the tow loop on the left side... the right tool helps save on the carpel tunnel while laying on your back with your arms over your head.

The first part is easy.. hold the thing up and put 6 bolts in, 3 on each side. Everything aligned perfectly with minimal fuss. I laid on my back and actually held the thing up with my knees while I algined/inserted the bolts with my hands

Someone had mentioned having trouble with their exhaust.. I don't know if the 2011's exhaust is different but there was no issue

Then comes the PITA part :censored:

If you have a 2500 you need to drill the holes in the frame for the vertical bolts.
Easy enough...

but now you have to get the bolt and re-inforcement plate into that hole without any access...

If you look at the photo below.. that's what the "wire snake" is for. the bolts and plates right above the snake in the photo are what need to end up on the inside of the frame. :crazy:

You are supposed to wrap the snake around the threads and feed the wire through the hole and then pull it through (along with the plate ahead of it) :crazy:

I didn't like how short the snake was so I extended it with some safetywire

Then you need to feed the plate onto the wire (hold it place with some kinks) and thread the bolt on. Make sure you think out how when you pull the wire it is going to pull the bolt INTO the plate and then into the hole...

so here's what you need to do (front of van is toward bottom of image).

referencing the photo above: Feed the wire in the lower hole and out the upper hole that the bracket covers... then very carefully feed the plate into the hole and then the bolt into the hole, pulling them all toward the other end and hoping that somehow the entire things holds together, lines up, and drops out the hole.

There has to be many the vehicle with a bolt and a plate floating around in the frame. I was pretty shocked when it actually all lined up and came through the hole. I consider it fluke luck.

Voila... all cinched down.

The other side works the same except is even a bigger PITA because the exhaust gets in the way :censored:

...eventually here we are

...now I just need to do the wiring

Old 01-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #1452
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,207
When I put a hitch on my wife's Corolla it had the same wire-fished nuts, but the instructions called for drilling a big-assed hole in the subframe to push them through. Screw that. I removed the bumper fascia and unbolted the steel bumper and supports, which exposed the open ends of the subframe rails. Then I reached inside and placed the nuts. No drilling, no fishing, no cussing. No wiring, either, but that's because hers is only to hold a bike rack.

If you want nice electrics, look here:

http://www.bertelshofer.com/e-satz-1...er-7821-7.html

You'll need an adapter to knock it down to flat-4 for typical US trailers, but if you want to wire your own trailer(s), the 13-pin Euro plug will give you 5-function signaling (brake, tail, turn, reverse, fog) plus RV power for refrigerators and whatnot.
troidus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #1453
KrustyKustom
Lets Go....

Oddometer: 577
Export?

Troidus,

This is exactly what I have been scouring the net for. I have a 2012 Sprinter and we are left in the states in the cold with respect to a trailer wiring harness unless you want to use a scotch lock special and a converter.

Do you know if you can ship to the states from these guys? I sent them an email in German to see if they will. Thanks for the link!
KrustyKustom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #1454
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrustyKustom View Post
Troidus,

This is exactly what I have been scouring the net for. I have a 2012 Sprinter and we are left in the states in the cold with respect to a trailer wiring harness unless you want to use a scotch lock special and a converter.

Do you know if you can ship to the states from these guys? I sent them an email in German to see if they will. Thanks for the link!
They were willing to ship to the U.S. when I bought a rig for my Camry, but shipping was steeper than I wanted to pay. I was going over there in a couple of months anyway, so I had it shipped to my MIL's house and brought it back in my carryon. IIRC shipping was 67 euros to the U.S., or 9 euros to my MIL's house near Freiburg. I'm gonna guess that there was some Customs fee mixed in there somewhere, but maybe not. My MIL is never happy about the cost of sending things to the U.S.
troidus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:33 AM   #1455
KrustyKustom
Lets Go....

Oddometer: 577
Dang it, just got an email back and they wont ship to the US of A. I would have paid whatever for shipping. I have an amigo in the UK, gonna see if I could ship it to him.

I have always wondered why we can't get certain stuff in the USA?
KrustyKustom is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: