Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2014, 07:00 AM   #1
lesman OP
Live easy, Brake Hard

Oddometer: 501
Plumbing an Aux Gas Tank on a Quota(Help Needed)

A buddy is building an aux aluminum tank for my quota. It will be mounted on the left side between the pannier frame. Tentatively the capacity will be 2.25 to 2.5 gallons. The tank build is pretty straight forward.
I looked at another inmates setup for an aux tank. His is mounted on the rear rack area. It would be considered "gravity fed". Please forgive my dumbass/simplistic explantion. My aux tank fuel is lower than the existing gas tank fuel lines. On a Quota, you have an external electric fuel pump. I have two petcocks that tee together to form one gas line to the electric fuel pump. It also has one line to the fuel pressure regulator that goes to injector one.
So placing a tee valve in the fuel line going to the fuel pump(between the tee from the existing petcocks and the fuel pump and a tee valve in the line from the main tank and pressure regulator). This setup should work.
What I wanted was my aux tank to be"on" all the time. It would be a additonal 2.25-to 2.5 gallons capacity. Under this setup that I described, I would need to turn off my 2 petcocks on the main fuel tank and switch a valve on the line to the fuel pressure regulator and "turn on" a petcock on the aux gas tank /a valve to the pressure regulator. I believe if I don't turn off the petcocks of the main tank /switch valve on the pressure regulator the fuel pump would "suck air" if the main tank was empty and the bike would not run
My buddy and I came up with an idea to use 4 electric valves to accomplish this feat with a flip of a switch as a way simply/complicate this situation.
So the question is: Is there a much simplier method to either switch tanks or add capacity? Am I wrong about the pump sucking air if the main tank is empty?
I am currently running 2 Rotopax cans on my pannier racks. Having to manually turnoff valves is not an upgrade situation in my opinion.

Please be kind,
Les
Old 10-27-2014, 05:20 AM   #2
lesman OP
Live easy, Brake Hard

Seriously 143 looks and not a single voice of hope. Let's pretend that a pretranny nanny needed to add an aux gas tank to her quota. How would the shemale plumb the tank in the most simplistic manner?
Old 10-27-2014, 08:26 PM   #3
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,648
Would it be a better option to use a fuel pump to push gas from the aux into the main tank to fill (with switch). Turn off when you pump it dry. You could use an electric valve to run with the pump.

Not familiar with the Quota under the tank, so thinking outside the box is called for here.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:39 PM   #4
quota
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
I'm probably the 144th look. I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question. I'm guessing that the other Quota you are referring to might belong to John S. His tank if mounted on the rear rack. I'll be following the thread with interest.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:20 AM   #5
bigtex
Rocky Mountain High

Oddometer: 692
I can't really add much to your proposed solution, but I can mention how I solved it on my Stelvio. My aux tank sat on a platform replacing the passenger seat and was too low for gravity feed. I plumbed the line from the aux tank to a right angle fitting I inserted in to the top of the main tank (hidden under the plastic). Added a cheapo electric pump and a handlebar switch. If the main tank got low, I flipped the switch and essentially did an inflight refueling. I had to manually turn the switch off, and my next plan was to add a timing circuit to do an auto shutoff.

So my aux wasn't always on, as you are shooting for, but it worked just fine.

bigtex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:14 AM   #6
lesman OP
Live easy, Brake Hard

The Quota has an external fuel pump. If I use the external fuel pump I would need to close the the existing petcocks plus a valve to the pressure regulator. The "easiest " solution was 4 electric solenoid valves. They are quite cheap and but would take up lots of real estate plus a hornet's nest of additional hoses.
Honestly I did not look at the idea of another electric fuel pump but the T valve would be between one petcock and T joining the two lines from petcocks.
I'm trying(not very hard) to address the fuel injection issues with this bike. MPG ranges from 22 to 37 mpg. I never beat the bike. It's only got maybe 60 shetland ponies at the rear wheel. It handles great for a heavy high centered bike. I can never tell what the gas mileage will be. I get pretty anxious at 120 miles on the OD when I'm nearly 25 miles from a gas station.
My only other issue right now is a filler tube. I was trying to buy an inlet pipe of 4-6 " with a 2" cap. The longest that I found is 3". probably going to buy a bung weld it on top of a 4-5" inlet. My buddy is a tig welding g-d.

Thanks,
Les
Old 10-28-2014, 10:37 AM   #7
kohburn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
i would set it up more like the stomachs of a cow. the main tank feed into the second tank feed into the third tank. gravity will start it but then suction will take over as long as you draw form the bottom of each and feed to the top to make sure it pulls fuel from the previous tank.

you can use larger (3/8") lines between tanks to speed up gravity feed when fueling up from empty.

then you can have air purge lines (with check valves)from the top of the secondary tanks that a recirculation pump to the top of the main tank during filling only during filling. this would remove any air from the secondary tanks during filling and make sure they had proper passive syphon function during use. (low pressure diaphram type fuel pump for carburated cars -$10)

sorry if that was confusing - it would be more clear on paper.
kohburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:01 AM   #8
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,044
Don't know about your bikes set up but most elec pumps are pusher pumps unlike mechanical pumps that will suck fluid from the rank. Point being an elec pump still relies on gravity to prime and feed it fuel. I'm not big on over complicating things so sorry if twisting a valve open/closed isn't what you want to hear. Is your aux tank hard mounted/bolted to the bike or does it sit in a rack/cradle? If'n were me I'd mount it into a rack so I could lift it out. With a drain-transfer line plumbed into the main and a proper aux vent installed I would just open the transfer valve, open the vent and lift the aux tank high enough and let it gravity feed into the main tank. It's only a couple gallons and likely quicker than your stock pump can transfer, a lot less stuff to plumb, maintain or go wrong too.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:10 AM   #9
auto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
I just bought a Quota.I also am puzzeled over the poor mpg.Check out the yahoo quota if you haven't already.I can manage high 30's but that with easy on gas style.
auto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:19 AM   #10
lesman OP
Live easy, Brake Hard

I found a cheap electric fuel pumps for $16-20 for the alternative strategy. Wow, I never even thought about running the main tank into the aux tank. Run the electric pump line to the aux tank. Run the line from the fuel regulator from the aux tank instead of the main tank( I think because I a little foggy on the concept). Thanks for the out of the box thought. It would allow both tanks to be "on" all the time. Does anyone see where this idea won't work or would work poorly? What are the downsides that I might not see?

Thanks,
Les
Old Yesterday, 08:21 AM   #11
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,285
I'm the wrong guy to ask on your set up but usually get 40-45 mpg out of my quota, including travel over 5K passes. usually mid range load, guessing 25lbs of crap plus me at 190 w gear. seems the same w two up though. speed range usually 10-15 over when on highway if some damn motorhome isn't in the way. I hate freeway so mpg is two lane.

there was a FI update that most received maybe yours didn't ? not sure what the diff was but it was out when these were still in the showroom.

one thing I can tell you these do not like old ethanol gas. Ive also heard ethanol can bugger up fuel filters on any bike so replace em more often
Old Yesterday, 08:23 AM   #12
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

be sure to remove any filter on fuel tank vent, they can clog
Old Yesterday, 08:24 AM   #13
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

not sure if you are aware, you can replace the shit head light with a suzuki etc.. can't remember model but can look it up. its on thisoldtractor.com REALLY big improvement for little $$
Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM   #14
Ddouble
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Hey Les,

I'm also running an auxiliary tank on my Quota. Mine is on the rear rack as part of a custom top box that I bought from an inmate. It adds about 2 1/2 gallons. As you mentioned gravity takes care of mine. I have a manual valve that I flip open when I have drained the main tank down some. I have never tried, but I imagine that I would overflow the main tank if I left the valve open with both tanks filled.

I think the idea of plumbing the main tank into a lower aux tank with the fuel pump pulling from the lower tank is great! The only issue might be if it's necessary to flood the suction of the fuel pump. That might be a trick, but I'm not sure it's necessary.

DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesman View Post
I found a cheap electric fuel pumps for $16-20 for the alternative strategy. Wow, I never even thought about running the main tank into the aux tank. Run the electric pump line to the aux tank. Run the line from the fuel regulator from the aux tank instead of the main tank( I think because I a little foggy on the concept). Thanks for the out of the box thought. It would allow both tanks to be "on" all the time. Does anyone see where this idea won't work or would work poorly? What are the downsides that I might not see?

Thanks,
Les
Ddouble is offline   Reply With Quote