User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2015, 09:21 PM   #1
Zuber OP
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,987
What the HELL is up with Triumph??

They have just pulled the franchise from the Eugene OR shop, Medford OR shop and I've heard the Bellingham WA shop. Do they want to be Hardley or BMW with a boutique shop next to the interstate full of Triumph branded dog dishes? No greeter, no glitz and you're gone. The Eugene shop bought into Triumph when no one else did. Sold the original 3 and 4 cylinder carbed bikes. If you are in So. OR, you have to drive about 250 miles now.

Disappointed and done with Triumph.

Edit: more info from the dealer on a NW site>
http://www.ride44.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4126

Zuber screwed with this post 02-23-2015 at 09:28 PM
Zuber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:53 PM   #2
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
They have just pulled the franchise from the Eugene OR shop, Medford OR shop and I've heard the Bellingham WA shop. Do they want to be Hardley or BMW with a boutique shop next to the interstate full of Triumph branded dog dishes? No greeter, no glitz and you're gone. The Eugene shop bought into Triumph when no one else did. Sold the original 3 and 4 cylinder carbed bikes. If you are in So. OR, you have to drive about 250 miles now.

Disappointed and done with Triumph.

Edit: more info from the dealer on a NW site>
http://www.ride44.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4126
Hey Zuber, what's up!

Yep, Triumph bought into a new style of operation. They got rid of the mom & pop shops and moved their business to the stores who will bend over to Triumph and spend thousands of dollars to decorate their store according to a very specific pattern, franchise style, boutique style. And will ask the shop to sell a quota of cruisers even when a certain location is only great for Bonnevilles, Tigers, Explorers and Street/Speed Triples.

It's a new world. Triumph has gotten bigger and wants more yet. They want to become like BMW or Harley, you got it.

Later!

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:28 AM   #3
trumpet173
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Yeah that's a drag. I bought my tiger from Rod this last October, and he was very helpful and patient with me while tested bike after bike. At least my tiger is used and is out of warranty, so I can still go to them for any services. Bummer though that Beaverton is now the nearest Triumph joint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trumpet173 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:22 AM   #4
Gordon Bennett
At least I tried

Oddometer: 370
There is nothing wrong with Triumph - the problem is with the American Triumph importer.

You hear the same tale of woe with other makes of motorcycle, and the one common factor is the American Importers.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:31 AM   #5
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Seems to me that if enough people made a stink about the lack of dealers strategically located throughout a state potentially affecting overall sales, perhaps they'd take notice. I for one, was considering a new XCX -- now I'm not so sure.
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:44 AM   #6
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,696
I've heard about this from a few sources now, and I think there are going to be a lot of dealerships affected. My local Triumph dealer is currently having a closeout sale on their bikes, I suspect for the same reason, though it's possible I may be jumping to conclusions -- Triumph has had an overall sale to sell off 2014 bikes.

Going to be interesting to watch this situation unfold. I really hope Triumph USA doesn't shoot itself in the foot.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 29-31, 2015
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:38 AM   #7
WolvesLower
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Our dealership in my town discontinued Triumph. They said they were a pain in the ass to deal with. Granted, the nearest shop is still only 60 miles away. But it is disappointing.
WolvesLower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:16 AM   #8
Black Rhino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
The dealer I use was the first to sign back up with Triumph in 94 I believe. I'm in there enough , know my group well. Store manager says yeah , there is up front cost bringing Triumph in , Triumph forces clothing and apparal , but they (Triumph) buys back everything that doesn't sell from the dealers after x amount of time. Although I'm not attracted to the expensive clothing , and bright walls , can you blame Triumph for trying a play out of Harley Davidson's play book? Adventure bikes are just a segment of what they sell , they actually have a vested interest getting their cruisers spoken of in the same breathe with HD. With Thunderbirds , Rocket 3 , and Bonnies (including American's) , the Tiger is a great bike , but not their bread and butter.
Black Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:53 AM   #9
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,696
Cruisers aren't their bread and butter either. Their best-selling bike is the Thruxton. The Tiger 800 and Speed/Street Triples are high on the list too, as is the Bonneville (classic, but not a cruiser).

I think Triumph NA's current management is trying to push cruisers though… but the timing is interesting, since this is something I would have expected more from Greg Heichelbech, who was fired as CEO last summer. As far as I know, he hasn't been replaced -- his responsibilities were split up between the COO and CFO.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 29-31, 2015
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:58 PM   #10
Yukon PER
Blacksheep

Oddometer: 441
Two Triumph dealerships in Pennsylvania sued Triumph over "required" dealerships upgrades. Triumph won the lawsuit and promptly instituted their "comply or loose your franchise" program in September of 2013. My dealer (who was not involved in the lawsuit) lost his franchise of 15 years at that time. Four months later, the Harley Dealership about 30 miles away was awarded the Triumph line.

The Harley dealership has worked with me very well concerning the warranty and required service on my TEX. However, I do not believe that dealership has sold any additional bikes vs the prior franchise.

Triumph makes a great product but their network of dealership in the USA is their weakest link. It is time for them to concentrate their efforts developing new dealers and start supporting the existing ones.

Yukon PER screwed with this post 02-24-2015 at 01:19 PM
Yukon PER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:20 PM   #11
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
I've heard about this from a few sources now, and I think there are going to be a lot of dealerships affected. My local Triumph dealer is currently having a closeout sale on their bikes, I suspect for the same reason, though it's possible I may be jumping to conclusions -- Triumph has had an overall sale to sell off 2014 bikes.

Going to be interesting to watch this situation unfold. I really hope Triumph USA doesn't shoot itself in the foot.

--mark
I agree, I hope they don't shoot themselves in the foot. I think BMW did.

I'd rather work with a smaller shop that is more personal with less overhead than a glitzy huge shop that develops an attitude and has sky high overhead and prices to match.

I don't think these manufacturers, importers, or ??? who come up with these ideas really understand the economics of a motorcycle shop.

I watched Honda shoot itself in the foot when they had the Aquatrax PWC line and were requiring dealers to either become 100% Honda Powersports dealers or provide a completely separate Honda sales building, just so they had the "privilege" of selling the watercraft. Well most dealers told them to get lost and returned the watercraft and went on with business as usual. Stupid decision.
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:47 PM   #12
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
I agree, I hope they don't shoot themselves in the foot. I think BMW did.

I'd rather work with a smaller shop that is more personal with less overhead than a glitzy huge shop that develops an attitude and has sky high overhead and prices to match.

I don't think these manufacturers, importers, or ??? who come up with these ideas really understand the economics of a motorcycle shop.

I watched Honda shoot itself in the foot when they had the Aquatrax PWC line and were requiring dealers to either become 100% Honda Powersports dealers or provide a completely separate Honda sales building, just so they had the "privilege" of selling the watercraft. Well most dealers told them to get lost and returned the watercraft and went on with business as usual. Stupid decision.
I agree with your statements. Triumph is well into the boutique/apparel accessories business... However, I don't criticize them for expanding their business. It is long proven that this business is not about selling motorcycles only. My point is that in this process they decided not to work with the small shops who have been traditional Triumph dealers and could not afford the investment, or who regionally had a different sales outlook for different product line than the company's goals.

I'm not sure this is a specific dealer network issue or if it is a Triumph issue. I tend to think it is a Triumph issue, the same way BMW dealers' playbook is organized under BMW's directions, not the U.S. Triumph dealer association or whatever is their organization. It is a worldwide design for the shops in the case of BMW, and I would believe it is the same for Triumph.

I know Ducati has their rules, also. What they do, however, is that they provide different levels of engagement/marketing opportunities to dealers, based on sales volume and engagement to Ducati policies. Smaller shops do not get the privilege of hosting new product events (such as the recent truck traveling to the several dealers to show the Scrambler, the new Multistrada and the new Panigale 1299). And the smaller dealers will get a small quota of all the new products, however, it will happen AFTER the well established dealers get these new products. It's just a natural thing. You promote and invest more where you sell more. Just doesn't mean you eliminate the smaller operations.

Having sad all of that, I live in a small town where I have the privilege of knowing the owners and chief mechanics of most motorcycle shops. It is part of the experience of a motorcycle purchase to talk to them and ride with them. Now that Triumph has pulled out of my "neighborhood" and from the people whom I interacted on a weekly basis, it will be very, very hard for me to think about buying another Triumph product.

But hey, Triumph sees this as the eggs that have to be broken for the meal to be cooked. Fair enough. I'm an economist and I know my purchases do not compute on their profit margins.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR screwed with this post 02-24-2015 at 03:52 PM
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:37 PM   #13
bikepsych
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
This is indeed disturbing news. But as some of you noted, Harley used that model successfully and now the support network is solid, the product reliable, and the service ....well tolerable now.

Having said that,,,folks there is power in numbers and specifically in numbers of people who buy product. Let the factory know...flood em with letters.

The thrill of owning a motorcycle is not only the riding experience, but the ownership experience. The mom and pop stores are still a viable business model that will support the industry.

BG
2009 Harley Road Glide
2006 Buell Ulysses
bikepsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:00 PM   #14
RodT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Pulled dealerships

I remember when Yamaha did the same thing about 1972 or 73. It seems like all brands do this sooner or later. There use to be small dealers in lots of small towns and when the ball got rolling, they ripped the dealerships away in favor of the big fancy showrooms.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:20 PM   #15
Augdog1964
BMW R1200gsa

Oddometer: 31
What I learned

When I was picking up up my new '15 GSAW I asked about their Triumph line, the head of the shop said it was a no money maker. They basically sell the bikes at a loss, and hope to make it back in service work and farkles.

This is a nice, modern BMW, Triumph, Norton shop... If he had his way "he would drop the line altogether" was his statement... he also said the product got stale in the showroom, unlike the BMWs...

At least that's what he said...
Augdog1964 is offline   Reply With Quote