Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2014, 08:02 PM   #1771
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,131
Sometimes the motion pro bead breaker just requires patience and LOTS of back and forth over an 1/8 of tire circumferance. I even got Mitas E07s with them off.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:46 AM   #1772
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLO View Post
Yeah, I actually saw your post about that... Been following closely. Once I get them on I'm going to practice and play around for sure. I have the motion pro bead breaker, but I think that's the same one you were trying to use at first.

Nah I only had two tire irons and my center stand, wouldnt budge even with soapy water.

I finally popped it with my truck and some 2x4's
Old 01-13-2014, 10:39 AM   #1773
KiLO
Adventure Cafe

Oddometer: 332
Haha, wow... Yeah, that's crazy. When I finally get them mounted (been doing far too much road riding lately), I will report back.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:24 AM   #1774
Bugchewer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLO View Post
Yeah, I actually saw your post about that... Been following closely. Once I get them on I'm going to practice and play around for sure. I have the motion pro bead breaker, but I think that's the same one you were trying to use at first.

I just changed my front tire myself for the first time. It was pretty easy. Not sure how the back would be. Breaking the bead on the front was simple. I just just stepped my fat arse on there and bingo. I will attempt the rear the next time I need to. A tire stand would make the job easier though.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:39 AM   #1775
RedBean25
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugchewer View Post
I just changed my front tire myself for the first time. It was pretty easy. Not sure how the back would be. Breaking the bead on the front was simple. I just just stepped my fat arse on there and bingo. I will attempt the rear the next time I need to. A tire stand would make the job easier though.
The rear is the bitch. The fronts are always easy.
RedBean25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:35 PM   #1776
rksksa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
went for a ride last weekend to a place called Broga Hill abt 30 min south of the city. it's normally populated by hikers, MTB's and some dirt bikes.

it rained the night before so it was a lil slick in places. 8 bikes went up - an assortment of 150 and 200 cc dirt bikes and my tiger. only failed to negotiate one bend but the big tiger (compared to the lil dirt bikes) made it everywhere much to the amazement of the other guys.

single track most of the time

taking a breather

a narrow concrete strip that wound itself up the hill for about a kilometer.

look ma! i finally got my elbow down.

am now wondering what i can do to get myself out of this situation if i was alone. anybody ever pin themselves under their bike? barring having a mini jack within reach, i'm not sure what else i could've done. i could barely move and whatever leverage i had, i was trying to keep the bike from crushing my leg.

the best dirt tires ever. not.
rksksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:14 AM   #1777
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by rksksa View Post
went for a ride last weekend to a place called Broga Hill abt 30 min south of the city. it's normally populated by hikers, MTB's and some dirt bikes.

it rained the night before so it was a lil slick in places. 8 bikes went up - an assortment of 150 and 200 cc dirt bikes and my tiger. only failed to negotiate one bend but the big tiger (compared to the lil dirt bikes) made it everywhere much to the amazement of the other guys.
Yikes!! Good on you mate for making it that far in the jungle with those tires. Did you let some air out before going in?

I would recommend some knobby tires if you are going to be doing this again, as well as raising your front fairing a bit.

Great photos btw.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:07 AM   #1778
rksksa
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
Yikes!! Good on you mate for making it that far in the jungle with those tires. Did you let some air out before going in?

I would recommend some knobby tires if you are going to be doing this again, as well as raising your front fairing a bit.

Great photos btw.

JG
hey live2ridetahoe. yeah...i dropped front and rear to 20psi. rear had some pretty awesome traction even in the mud. in the place where i got my *ahem* elbow down, it was a v-groove track that went snaking up the hill for abt 500-800 meters. the rear hooked up just fine. coming down was another story though.

it wasn't muddy enough to warrant a fender raise either. for trails like those, i'd go in with a lighter bike that's for sure.

the initial plan was to hit a simpler trail. but it would've been too short. so, everyone took a vote and decided to hit the jungle trail. the others were more worried abt my bike but we all found out that there was no reason to worry.

the tiger took everything thrown at it in stride. i wasn't going fast though as i felt the front wanting to wash out a lot.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:32 AM   #1779
BlackBeast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Wow, good for you tackling those conditions on the Tiger with those tires. It looks like you had a ton of fun though.
BlackBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:57 AM   #1780
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,562
Knobbies & a 15th front sprocket will help out big time. As far as getting trapped under the Tiger, you have to get out of the way. When these heavy bitches start to tip over, all you can do is dismount & get clear. It's much easier to pick it up when it's not on top of you.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:55 AM   #1781
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
Knobbies & a 15th front sprocket will help out big time. As far as getting trapped under the Tiger, you have to get out of the way. When these heavy bitches start to tip over, all you can do is dismount & get clear. It's much easier to pick it up when it's not on top of you.
++++1111111
My torn ACL can attest to this

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:20 AM   #1782
rksksa
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeast View Post
Wow, good for you tackling those conditions on the Tiger with those tires. It looks like you had a ton of fun though.
yeah...it was def fun. when i saw the trail, i did find it a bit daunting and had my doubts if the bike would make it up some of them as the lighter bikes in front of me were having slight issues. but it made it up no worries.

i'd have to get my fitness level up a bit more though as i was seriously running out of steam wrestling the tiger on this route. one of the reasons i got pinned under the bike i'm guessing. too tired to get leg off the pegs quickly enough.

as for the 15T sprocket, i can see the benefits off-road. but i do a lotta onroad as well and am usually running above 140kmh. i don't think i'd like the higher revs for longer runs. am seriously considering some knobs though. at least a set sitting at home or something.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:01 PM   #1783
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,126
Little ride around the Santa Cruz hills

y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:41 PM   #1784
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,789
Bike looks good YO! I like the smileys
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:45 PM   #1785
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by rksksa View Post
yeah...it was def fun. when i saw the trail, i did find it a bit daunting and had my doubts if the bike would make it up some of them as the lighter bikes in front of me were having slight issues. but it made it up no worries.

i'd have to get my fitness level up a bit more though as i was seriously running out of steam wrestling the tiger on this route. one of the reasons i got pinned under the bike i'm guessing. too tired to get leg off the pegs quickly enough.

as for the 15T sprocket, i can see the benefits off-road. but i do a lotta onroad as well and am usually running above 140kmh. i don't think i'd like the higher revs for longer runs. am seriously considering some knobs though. at least a set sitting at home or something.
Congratulations on the off road explorations
The Tiger is very capable for a 500 pound dirt bike

I'm tuning 6K RPM's at 78 MPH with the 15 tooth sprocket. It's a cheap item and easy to install and may be worth trying out. The Tiger doesn't mind the RPM's but it does consume a little more gas.

I and other off road Tiger riders swear by the Mitas E-07. It peformes way better than expected on and off trail.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote