User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
motormail OP
Supermoto Posty

Oddometer: 444
Adventurizing a Yamaha DT230

Have always loved the power, weight and ergos of 2 strokes and always wondered if one could be successfully turned into an adventure beasty. Finally decided to give it a go, did a heap of research and came to the final 3; Honda CRM250 (had one before, it was a brilliant bike), Suzuki RMX250 and Yamaha DT230. After riding them all I decided the DT230 had the most adventure potential. Here's a sample:

motormail screwed with this post 01-09-2012 at 10:33 PM
motormail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:06 AM   #2
motormail OP
Supermoto Posty

I found a modest example which already had a Wiseco top end rebuild and was reasonably priced. Unfortunately in my eagerness I had the bike stripped of all parts except the engine and failed to take any photos as I went. Here is one just after I got it and took it for a quick ride to see how it went.

Performance wise, this DT230 sounded like it couldn't breathe and could only be described as asthmatic. Having ridden and owned the Honda CRM250 and Suzuki RMX250 I was fairly disappointed with the DT230...mind you it didn't help that the power valve was broken in half and in the closed position. The bike came with the standard muffler and of course the exhaust chamber which any boatmen would be proud to have as an anchor, was chock full of carbon. Still needs more carbon removed but figure I'll have a shiny new ProSkills chamber soon (as shown in the 1st picture of this thread) and probably won't worry about it. Calculated fuel consumption at 10 Km/Ltr in this state, but that was pushing it pretty hard.

Having removed the seat I discovered the airbox still had the standard snorkel which was immediately removed and chucked. Was about to cut open the top of the airbox when I remembered I had some Ballards Air Box Vents in the parts cupboard. Started her up and the improvement was very noticeable. While I was at I installed a needle set for the carby which I bought from JP-Parts as the old one was not exactly straight. Also installed a 165 Main Jet and tried the needle clip in the middle position. Went for a ride and think 1 slot towards the pointy end from the middle position for the needle clip will be the sweet spot. Noticed a definite improvement in performance with this simple mod.

Still a little disappointed with the power after fixing the engine bits, air box and carby mods, I went for broke and bought a set of Boyesen Pro Lead Reeds, NGK Power Plug Spark Cord and a Pro Skill Silencer all from Webike Japan. Fuel consumption now at 14 Km/Ltr and that was going harder than the first fuel consumption calculation. Other guys on the thread are getting 20Km/Ltr when using as a transporter.

The power difference now is amazing. Before It was lucky pulling 110kph, now it pulls past 160 with some in reserve. Can't wait to see what it will do when I can afford the new exhaust chamber. Also found a programmable CDI for the DT230 which has two settings and can be used on the fly (adventure curve and trail curve). That would be awesome.

Cheers
Robo

motormail screwed with this post 01-21-2012 at 01:27 AM
Old 08-23-2011, 03:19 AM   #3
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,562
we have had one for a few years (my son owns it now) - it has had the living snot beaten out of it - it has has been looped , barrel rolled, and bent like a pretzel.

Simply awesome bike - my son has fixed it back up - he won't let me ride it now as he said it would be like returning an abused pet that has been nursed back to health to its original abuser .

you'vemade a great choice

Old 08-24-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
Moto13
Riding to Relax

Oddometer: 362
I would love to try this bike in the US. How is it that we don't have it available in the US but in NZ it can be purchased new?
Moto13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,580
Nothing a zillion craigslist KDXs aren't and they are cheap to boot.Want new? You have KTMs from 125-300, Husky 125/250/300s and GasGas at the least.

Not knocking the lil 230 but they aren't in the USA cause they didn't sell well as WR200s when they were and we need street legal trail bikes here now. A 2t ain't gonna cut it for a volume seller like Yamaha.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:19 PM   #6
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto13 View Post
How is it that we don't have it available in the US but in NZ it can be purchased new?
only about 14? were ever sold new in NZ as they were expensive for what they were. Seem to be more in Aussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
Nothing a zillion craigslist KDXs aren't and they are cheap to boot.Want new? You have KTMs from 125-300, Husky 125/250/300s and GasGas at the least.

Not knocking the lil 230 but they aren't in the USA cause they didn't sell well as WR200s when they were and we need street legal trail bikes here now. A 2t ain't gonna cut it for a volume seller like Yamaha.
KDX is a vastly superior trail bike but the DT230 is much better as a mini adventure bike. More low end than the kdx but less top end.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:32 PM   #7
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,580
KDX 220 or simply send the cylinder to Freddette or Eric Gorr. Easy to build your own or better. I was addressing the desire for one in the USA. We had similar, WR200 with electric power valve IIRC and it tanked in sales. No doubt a search could uncover one for sale, I just saw one recently.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:10 AM   #8
motormail OP
Supermoto Posty

]Hey Mark,

Yours certainly looks a little bent out of shape. Nothing a bit of pipe to bend it back wouldn't fix though. The sub frame on the DT is like butter, which is one of my projects to fix at the moment. Here's mine so far with rear shock linkage raisers. These have lifted the rear end about 50mm and has certainly given the bike more ground clearance however at the expense of increasing the steering rake angle which almost makes the steering tuck under on full lock. Still not sure if I'll keep these on or not. Next project is replacing rear side panels with fuel tanks, thinking aluminium or fibreglass. My brother is a fibreglasser so I'll probably go for that option and build some rear pannier racks and jerry can panniers to protect them. Will post more as I go.

Cheers, Robo

motormail screwed with this post 01-09-2012 at 11:40 PM Reason: Adding extra
Old 01-10-2012, 02:07 AM   #9
motormail OP
Supermoto Posty

Finally got some time to build some pannier racks for the DT230. Being a posty, I've used boxes, vinyl bags, milk crates, etc, etc but none stack up as good as the pannier system on my Yamaha TTR125 posty bike, which I got from Cycle Racks in the US. These things are brilliant, they are made out of $20 water containers from Super Cheap, are as flexible as anything, are rain proof, hold in excess of 15kg each side and when you hit something like a power pole.....or the ground, they take the brunt of the stack and then explode off the bike. Usually of course with mail flying everywhere, but nothing gets bent or damaged.

So decided to build the DT230 panniers with that in mind. Finished product this shot.

Spot welded only so far, gathered it would take me a couple of goes to get right.

Rear guard is dodgy, but have a new one ready to replace when finished build.

Bag supports simply bolted to water container

Bag supports sit on top bar and hook under another strengthened tab.

Side view

Painted, mounted and secured with ocky strap....for testing purposes only, have some Andy Strapz on order.

Filled with camping gear using a $20, 30L waterproof bag from BCF, 5Ltr fuel container fits in there too.

Was going to build some alloy rear side tanks, but found these 5.7 Ltr fuel packs which are way cheaper

Should look similar to this by the time I'm finished. Yet to make the top rear luggage rack extender to hold the 7.5 Ltr Bum Tank and remaining camping gear.

Forgot to mention, I'm currently making some alloy radiator scoops which will also be fuel tanks, around 5 Ltrs each side and will be bolted to the tank plus additional frame mounts. Can't get a plastic aftermarket tank for the little beasty, so have to improvise. The DT should carry a min of 35 Ltrs fuel by the time I'm finished.

Cheers
Robo

motormail screwed with this post 01-10-2012 at 02:25 AM
Old 01-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #10
motormail OP
Supermoto Posty

Fitted my alloy rack today and built a rack extender to hold the bumtank and additional camping gear.

I hit my but on the rear tank a little when leaning back.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:02 AM   #11
motormail OP
Supermoto Posty

Started working on an adventure touring screen today, researched the web and came up with this idea which is to save screwing brackets through the headlight cowl and so I can add an extra bit of tube to make a headlight protector. The bracket is 1 piece of 12mm tube and simply bolts to the top fork bolts. Being one piece its fairly strong, easy to remove and simple enough to bend back into shape after an off.

I measured the existing headlight cowl and cut a taller version from cardboard as a template. Not sure if it will be a clear plastic screen or coloured plastic used by sign writers, which I probably prefer as its cheap, flexible and any time I kill one, I just have to phone up the sign writer and get him to whip up another as he'll keep the template on file. Will post some more photos when i decide.

Robo
Old 01-20-2012, 10:40 PM   #12
motormail OP
Supermoto Posty

Only had to modify the cardboard adventure screen a couple of times to get the wind directed at neck height. Decided to go with a non clear screen, which I had made at my local sign writer out of plastic signage material and it only cost me $10. He's got the pattern on file now and next time it will only cost me $5...sweet, I can crash as often as I want. Next project apart from the alloy fuel tank radiator shrouds is a dash that will sit behind the screen to accommodate GPS power plug, light switches, etc. Oh and a new set of bars, the current set are a bit bent, might go with a set of fat bars.

More soon.
Robo

Old 01-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #13
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,828
What a cool bike! Had never even heard of one of those until now. Yet more things that we can't get in the USA.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:32 AM   #14
motormail OP
Supermoto Posty

Hey Jimmy the Heater,

The DT230 is a rare bike in Australia as well. It is one of the last road registerable 2 strokes produced by Yamaha. Shame really, because they almost had it.....just needs fuel injection and it would be the perfect adventure bike, light weight, easy maintenance, 300mm ground clearance and good fuel economy.

Robo
Old 01-26-2012, 12:44 AM   #15
motormail OP
Supermoto Posty

Added a small endurop lite strap on tank bag bag from Bags Connection to take the extra bits like wallet, camera, hand held UHF, torch, batteries, hang over cure, etc. Fits well and doesn't smack one's ball bag when up on the pegs, however it covers the fuel cap which is just a matter of unclipping one quick relase buckle. Pretty cheap too, which is why I'd thought I'd give it a go first before spending big on a Wolf man number.

Robo