Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2011, 08:25 AM   #16
slowinfastout
6 x 275cc

Oddometer: 1,561
Signed up with another inmate...but a question!

I spoke to someone just this morning who has run the Shenandoah 500 four times and he tells me we will absolutely tear up our 2011 KTM 990 Adventures, and that we need to buy real dirt bikes for the event. I ridden the Peter's Mill / Tasker's Gap trail many times on big Adventure class bikes and can't imagine it to be much more difficult than that on the "C" or "B" routes at the 500.

I understand the "A" routes or 'hero sections' are not really suitable, but neither my pal or I really want to beat up our new $ 14K bikes doing this ride. We don't mind getting them dirty of course, and are prepared for some drops, but we want to avoid flattened rims and damaged body work that would occur on stair-steps of shale rock, etc trying to hump 480 lb of motorcycle across.

So what say ye, those that have done it? Lend some advice so we can decide if we should plan to go or perhaps relinquish our spots to others? No money to go buy 'real' dirt bikes, although we know that's probably the best option.

TIA
Old 08-16-2011, 08:50 AM   #17
nvtr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Eek Shenandoah 500 Dual Sport - Almost Full!!

Fellow Dual Sport Enthusiast:

Pre-registration for the 2011 AMA KTM Shenandoah 500 National 2-Day Dual Sport is almost full. Pre-registrations will ONLY be ACCEPTED via ONLINE.

PRE-REGISTER ONLINE at http://watr.us/

If you have not pre-registered yet and would like to join us, please don't delay. Again, we are ALMOST FULL!

The 17th annual AMA KTM Shenandoah 500 National 2-Day Dual Sport returns this upcoming October 1st & 2nd.

PLEASE NOTE: This event is ONLINE PRE-REGISTRATION ONLY! No entries accepted after Friday, September 2, 2011 or 200 riders, whichever comes first. NO MAILED IN PRE-REGISTRATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED!! NO POST-ENTRIES!!

If you plan on camping with us at the Natural Chimneys Park Campground and have not yet made reservations, please call them at 540-350-2510 to make your reservations ASAP. Natural Chimneys Park Campground Info - http://www.co.augusta.va.us/Index.aspx?page=617

We hope to see you on the trail with us in October!

Washington Area Trail Riders
http://watr.us/
nvtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:11 AM   #18
Kyler
Confused Hack Nut

Oddometer: 2,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowinfastout View Post

I spoke to someone just this morning who has run the Shenandoah 500 four times and he tells me we will absolutely tear up our 2011 KTM 990 Adventures, and that we need to buy real dirt bikes for the event. I ridden the Peter's Mill / Tasker's Gap trail many times on big Adventure class bikes and can't imagine it to be much more difficult than that on the "C" or "B" routes at the 500.

I understand the "A" routes or 'hero sections' are not really suitable, but neither my pal or I really want to beat up our new $ 14K bikes doing this ride. We don't mind getting them dirty of course, and are prepared for some drops, but we want to avoid flattened rims and damaged body work that would occur on stair-steps of shale rock, etc trying to hump 480 lb of motorcycle across.

So what say ye, those that have done it? Lend some advice so we can decide if we should plan to go or perhaps relinquish our spots to others? No money to go buy 'real' dirt bikes, although we know that's probably the best option.

TIA
it depends on how you ride it and whether or not you do the options.
Kyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #19
BluWolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Quote:

TIA
I have not done this ride before as I am a noob to offroad riding all together. I plan on doing it on my F800 which is about as heavy as the 990. I haven't seen anything that scares me yet, but I also have no intention of screaming through the sections. If we want to put together a bigger bike pack, that may help manage pace and damage?
BluWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:12 AM   #20
Glowplug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
I did it last year on a G650Xchallenge (all the weight and half the power!), and had no trouble. I remember seeing at least one other big KTM. Lots of people 2-up. It seems very dooable, very big-bike friendly.
Glowplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:44 PM   #21
nvtr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Sold Out!!

***Aug. 16th: IMPORTANT UPDATE*** - This event is sold out!

We will be filling the waitlist ("Add Me to the Waitlist" button on the event website - http://watr.us/) if we have any cancellations.
nvtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:45 PM   #22
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,749
Quote:

TIA
I dont see why you couldnt do it on a KTM 990. If you can manage Petersmill run you should be okay. Maybe put some fresh knobbies on if you are worried about it.
Skip the options and it should be no sweat.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:49 AM   #23
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,015
This looks fun. Doubt I would be able to get there tho
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:44 AM   #24
Linehand
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I made it!

Somebody must have cancelled, got a notice and registered this morning!! YAYYY! Had a blast last year. Hey Glowplug, long time no see! Guess I'll try and keep up with that awesome 650 xchallenge! See you there!
Linehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:41 AM   #25
vibenation
Out of Rat Race

Oddometer: 62
Upcoming ride

Excited to be taking part in this ride.

Me and mine are in, will be wielding the following:

Me: DRZ400S

Her: XT250

Very pumped and can't wait for October to roll around.
Booze and the blowens cop the lot."
vibenation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:41 AM   #26
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,871
DAMN it, sold out. On the wait list...
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:02 AM   #27
Glowplug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Awesome Linehand! Glad you got in!
Glowplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:24 PM   #28
DrLax
Go Big

Oddometer: 213
I've been riding some trails and construction areas this summer with my GS Adv. so I'm going to give it a go with the big girl this year. I hope it's dry.
DrLax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #29
Motor
Poet Lariat

Oddometer: 688
it's all about the OPTIONS, "C" is for almost everyone, "B" is for experienced and "A" is for expert, just ride to your own skill level and have fun. aword of caution to big bores, if it is real dry the road moves and the switchbacks come up quick, yehah!!
05 BMW R1200GS
Member> GMER, R&T
Motor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:03 PM   #30
BluWolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLax View Post
I've been riding some trails and construction areas this summer with my GS Adv. so I'm going to give it a go with the big girl this year. I hope it's dry.
We can put a group of newer riders on big bores together?
BluWolf is offline   Reply With Quote