Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
zoo mob OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Michigan to Boston; what route? US-20? Suggestions?

I'm planning a trip from Michigan to Boston, we can't go through Canada as we do not have passports. What would be the best route across norther Ohio, New York state and Mass.?
zoo mob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:23 PM   #2
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,568
Ohio Turnpike- I-80 / 90.

There is nothing scenic to see on US20 in Ohio. Take I-80 or an alternate, across PA if you want semi-scenic.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:44 PM   #3
zoo mob OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
OK, what about NY state?
zoo mob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #4
klebs01
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
I took I-80 to 66 in PA. Then US-6 east to SR-409 to 706 to 267. Once we got off 80, it was all good riding in the hills, and we were able to make decent time. I think 409 was the best road of them all, and I just picked it off the map as a short cut to save time. We were headed north into the Adirondacks after we took 267 to Binghamton, so I'm not sure my route after this will help any.
klebs01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
keyzard
Falls over a lot....

Oddometer: 115
US-20 in Western New York is not too bad, mostly 2 lanes in each direction, larger towns, etc. If time isn't too much of an issue try to get onto US-20a as early as you can once you get into NY. It will rejoin with 20 near Canandaigua (in the Finger Lakes region). It's a little slower, but much nicer a ride.

US-20 pretty much runs parallel with the I-90 which is the main highway across NY. You can easily jump on that if time becomes an issue.
2011 Suzuki DRZ400S (My new favorite)
2006 Suzuki DL650 (My wife's, but I "borrow" it a lot!!)
keyzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:31 AM   #6
DieLivin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
I did Southern VT to Alpena, MI with the wife and we went across to MotoGP in Indy as well. I hate 80-90 and will begrudgingly do it to make time, "get somewhere" but not my choice. We skirted along Erie on 2, stopped in little towns, avoided Cleveland as much as possible, but didn't do half bad, lucked out timing Toledo too. Little town of Lorain was cool, Jackalopes restaurant on this little harbor was GREAT! In New York look ahead and book a winery for overnight in the finger lakes area. We did Glenora Winery and were blown away. Nice to get off the bike and indulge a little, especially with the wifey along to please.
I usually just set the GPS, then as I start going into Zombie, slabbin', highway, boredom mode, just jump off at an exit and start weaselin' my way along as parallel as I can manage. You find some cool stuff that way. My best trick is to zoom in enough to look for streams/rivers. You can always find twisties, just look for a river, stream, dam. If time is on your side.

Ride well
Old 08-16-2011, 09:53 AM   #7
Uglyprimate
UglyPirate

Oddometer: 6,945
All just depends on how big a hurry you are in.

20 is a generic two lane with a lot of truck traffic due to the cost of the turnpike. So is 6.

2 is basically interstate for half it's distance. At least you can see the lake in a few places.

I-86 is good as far as interstate goes and scenery. Cheapest fuel in NY is in the Indian Reservations.

ANY two lane through upstate NY is scenic. Just understand that between the Finger Lakes are big hills, wineries (traffic) and deer. Watkins Glen is gorgeous.

I like Route 2 from Albany area to Boston. The old Mohawk trail. Scenic, big hills, history. Turns into interstate near Boston to avoid the suckage that is all things Boston.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:57 AM   #8
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Just went from north of Albany to Massachusetts. If you're not in a hurry this is a scenic route with lots of little towns, twisty roads, and low traffic. Take NY67 to North Bennington, VT, then 67A down to Bennington, then Rt. 9 across VT to Brattleboro, then 119 South turning into 78 to 2A near Orange, MA, then 122 South to Barre, then 62 east to the Boston area. The back roads start to get really slow stop and go near Boston and you may want to hop onto the highways at that point. I should add that the first part of Route 2 is OK too, from North Adams to around Greenfield or so, but after that it gets pretty straight and boring heading east, though it is still much more pleasant than 90 (the Mass. Turnpike).