ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2011, 06:31 PM   #16
nwgs
solarfied

Oddometer: 32,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterman View Post
you must have a shovel, a bucket, and a saw or axe, to legally have a campfire in a dispersed site, your helmet qualifies as a bucket, so,, the rest is easy,,,,never bild a fire you can't piss out!
I like your style.
nwgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #17
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"

Oddometer: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by oremike View Post
For me it's about comfort and perspective. I like to primitive camp out of my pick up. I can bring the stuff that makes camping comfortable, my big tent, cot, clean clothes, water ice, food, firewood, ect. See I've done the stealth camping thing, only it was not called camping, it was called being homeless. Traveling by motorcycle I can't carry all the comforts I like so I seek them out. Very few things are as satisfying to me as an ice cold beverage after a long hot day.
I don't mind getting dirty but I like to start the day out clean, riding all day in the desert with sticky buns makes the trip less enjoyable to me. I'm not so much of a dandy that I won't go a couple days with a baby wipe bath but I will look for running water every few days. I have to get food, water and gas at the very bare minimum every day any way so why not plan the camping where the comfort amenities are available as well?
Lastly my days of drunken primal scream therapy are past so I don't need to be away from people for that. I'd rather sit around the camp fire and tell tall tales go to bed early and get up at dawn.

You said sticky buns ...........

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:31 PM   #18
peterman OP
cop magnet

Oddometer: 13,004
I wondered that too,,why would he sit on cinnamon rolls?
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:54 PM   #19
Tucson Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
when I was young I camped where ever I felt like it, most always away from people. Never used established camp sites and liked being by myself way out in the middle of no where. Tried to pick a spot where my camp or fire couldn't be seen from the road, out of sight out of mind. Don't like to be around strangers or have them come up on me in my camp asking for stuff and being nosy about what I was drinking or smoking.

One time (early 80's) at a party thrown by some patch riders (Dirty Dozen) they had a spot down by the Gila river south of Globe Arizona. All I had with me was my leather jacket and wallet. Finally passed out on the ground around a small fire I built with sticks and twigs. Talk about minimalist.

Now I have grown into old age, prefer hot showers, restaurants and air conditioning at the end of a long ride. Still like to be on the end room of the motel, my bike by the door and no one else around. Screaming kids and rap music are like nails on a chalk board and I have been known to pack up a leave should the need arise.

The only decision you have to make is what to do with the time you have been given

'07 Vulcan 1500 FI

Tucson Jim screwed with this post 08-18-2011 at 09:04 PM
Tucson Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:40 AM   #20
yondering
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
[QUOTE=Apple Jam;16639500PS: The best stealth camps are the ones you find at the last minute yerself.
Ride until you see it. You'll know it when you get there.[/QUOTE]

This.

Paying to camp at a "campground" isn't camping, it's just a place to stay the night. I'd have more privacy and quiet just pitching a tent in my yard. May as well buck up and pay for a hotel if you need creature comforts.
yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:35 PM   #21
T.Low
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 920
Agreed.

Why pay at the counter when this is included in your taxes?

T.Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:10 AM   #22
Mustangshelly
Adventurer...hardly

Oddometer: 527
It's not called camping if you are in a tent city surrounded by obnoxious city folk yapping at the top of their lungs about their trips to Baja, their new Range Rover, and how little Billy just graduated Kindergarten at the top of his class, all the while having to listen to little Billy and his friends riding their Razer scooters 'round and 'round the campground roads from dawn 'til dusk. No rest, no relaxation, no privacy.....that's what campgrounds are all about. Love the creature comforts, but "camping" in a big public campground SUCKS! Peterman, stealth camping is the BEST!
Mustangshelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:23 AM   #23
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Low View Post
Agreed.

Why pay at the counter when this is included in your taxes?

A tricked out astro van and sweet motorcycle are included in my taxes??? Damn, I'm calling H & R Block, they've been screwing me for years!
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:20 PM   #24
oremike
Motorcyclest

Oddometer: 2,359
You pick your spots and take your chances:

Ride what makes you giggle in your helmet
oremike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #25
EddMc
are we there yet

Oddometer: 274
I paid for a camping spot once and that was once to many and decided that if I'm going to pay for creature comforts it will be at a hotel.

2007 R1200GS
1997 XR400R
EddMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:11 PM   #26
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,352
Not all campgrounds suck. This one's north of Missoula--

But when I stay at an ordinary campground, earplugs are my friends. Put 'em in a bedtime and sleep for 8 hours straight no matter what the fuggers next to me are doing.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:09 PM   #27
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,631
I like to hear the bear before it bites me through the tent.
http://www.chron.com/news/article/2-...ar-2133978.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Not all campgrounds suck. This one's north of Missoula--
But when I stay at an ordinary campground, earplugs are my friends. Put 'em in a bedtime and sleep for 8 hours straight no matter what the fuggers next to me are doing.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:29 PM   #28
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
I like to hear the bear before it bites me through the tent.
http://www.chron.com/news/article/2-...ar-2133978.php
Quote:
The attacks happened within the Forest Service's Maroon Bells-Snowmass Wilderness Area. A spokesman for the Forest Service, Pat Thrasher, said the attacks happened not at formal campgrounds but at popular backcountry camping sites.
Good reason to be packin' when your in the backcountry...
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #29
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,890
Stealth! OBDR country.
There is a place for each. Sometimes having a shower and sitting for a good grunt is good.
You bring along good whiskey AJ.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:31 PM   #30
peterman OP
cop magnet

Oddometer: 13,004
I've got a shower,,(I know Fisherman has one also) it packs as small as a can of beer, hangs in a tree in the sunlight, and gets me wet when I open the sprayer.
Poopin' in the woods can be an adventure,,even more so if yer hungover,,hence the old saying regarding a screw up,,Well,,,shit!, and fall back in it"
My point of the thread was, if I'm riding from A to B to C,,and I know I need to stop somewhere along the way, I like to be unseen, and camp for free.
I'll give up this one. Along the Ukiah/Dale scenic corridor is a State park campground,,running water, and toilets,,no showers,,$9.00/nite for a tent spot. About 2 or 3 or so miles south of the campground is 5 mile creek. Take that road,,and camp anywhere you like, for free.
No toilet, no running water,except the creek, and it runs all night, but, no 9 dollar fee for an overnite.,,Oh,,and NO other peeple, kids, generators, dogs yapping, or lawnmowers starting up to keep the place spiffy!
Just down the hiway from there is FS 3961, and FS 3963,,if my memory works. ride a bit, find a spot. FREE!
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote