User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
TSD OP
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 88
Schuberth C3 Helmet Forehead Isues

Just a quick note for those of you experiencing the painful pressure in the center of the forehead with the Schuberth C-3... In a discussion with a Revzilla rep the other day on this issue, he indicated that Schuberth recommended cutting away the tab that covers the vent on the front of the liner. Says this eliminates the problem in many situations. I have done so, but have yet to take a 2-3 hr ride to see if there is any benefit...
2012 Sertao
TSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSD View Post
Just a quick note for those of you experiencing the painful pressure in the center of the forehead with the Schuberth C-3... In a discussion with a Revzilla rep the other day on this issue, he indicated that Schuberth recommended cutting away the tab that covers the vent on the front of the liner. Says this eliminates the problem in many situations. I have done so, but have yet to take a 2-3 hr ride to see if there is any benefit...

Thats interesting.. I finally had a chance to try on a C3 the other day and within a few minutes in the shop I could feel the point pressure. Now I have worn Shoei, Arai, Klim, Nolan, and Harley helmets and I have never had an issue, I figured I had a head that could fit into any helmet.. Schuberth clearly has an issue with the fit of the helmet in that part of the helmet... wish I knew what tab you are referring to, can anyone snap a pic?
Old 06-19-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
I'm having the same issue. I think its that tiny piece of cloth. Hard to believe thats whats responsible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
Thats interesting.. I finally had a chance to try on a C3 the other day and within a few minutes in the shop I could feel the point pressure. Now I have worn Shoei, Arai, Klim, Nolan, and Harley helmets and I have never had an issue, I figured I had a head that could fit into any helmet.. Schuberth clearly has an issue with the fit of the helmet in that part of the helmet... wish I knew what tab you are referring to, can anyone snap a pic?
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:38 PM   #4
Ultravoyageant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallRob View Post
I'm having the same issue. I think its that tiny piece of cloth. Hard to believe thats whats responsible.
I only know about Shuberth's helmets from trying a C3 on at Revzilla (an XL fit me very well for the 20 minutes I had it on), but different helmet manufacturers make different shaped helmets. I wear a 2X in HJC and Scorpion, a L in Sharks and I can't even get Icon helmets on without damn near passing out from the pain. I had to remove some of my Evoline's foam in the forehead area to make the knife in my forehead pain go away, so perhaps Shuberth's helmets just don't play well with folks whose heads are shaped a certain way. Either that or that must be one hell of a tab they've got there. If you're getting a hot spot from the helmet I bet if you remove the liner you'll see where the shape of the helmet foam doesn't get on nicely with the shape of your head. Pedi Eggs work on more than just feet. I'm just sayin'.
Ultravoyageant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:59 PM   #5
peterb
Long Distance Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
C3

for the C2 an XL; for the C3 a L - pretty happy with it butt do admit to reshaping the forehead area with a ball peen hammer. I will look at the tab mentioned as further relief PRN.

As for the hammer and/or beer bottle relief - you don't really think that couple of mm is gonna make much of a difference in a head-on do YOU?

2000 BMW 1150 GS with >165k miles and more to come...

2007 BMW R1200RT - new 4/08 with >145K smiles ...
peterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:49 AM   #6
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,259
The tab is a flap of material that is sewn on at the junction of the two or three pieces that make up the soft inner liner. The issue on mine was that the material at the forehead pressure point was too thick, and stiff and the stitching is rough. This caused excruciating discomfort and rubbed my forehead raw. I glued a piece of thin foam over it after trying to compress the underlying hard foam. I also ordered a new liner from Revzilla and it seems to be a bit softer and smoother in this area. Maybe manufacturing variances....?
Old 06-20-2011, 07:32 AM   #7
Nom de Tour
n00b

Oddometer: 9
C3 knife to the forehead

I made the mistake of not breaking in my helmet before my San Francisco to Chicago ride. The attached is the result of my C3 reshaping my head. It was taken on the last day of a four day ride.

In defense of the helmet, I have an abnormally shaped head, long and narrow. I get a crease in my forehead everytime I wear a baseball cap or construction helmet. A buddy of mine has a C3 and he went through a brief break in period, but isn't having any problems now.

I too am looking at some DIY modifications to the forehead lining, but haven't decided on exactly what. I'll post my decision and results, probably over the weekend.

Name:  Looks worse that it feels.jpg
Views: 2391
Size:  33.9 KB
Nom de Tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:39 AM   #8
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

I recieved the same "MARK of SCHUBERTH" as you did. But after only 4 hrs of riding it wasnt as bad as that. I think I shall take a spoon to the foam later today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nom de Tour View Post
I made the mistake of not breaking in my helmet before my San Francisco to Chicago ride. The attached is the result of my C3 reshaping my head. It was taken on the last day of a four day ride.

In defense of the helmet, I have an abnormally shaped head, long and narrow. I get a crease in my forehead everytime I wear a baseball cap or construction helmet. A buddy of mine has a C3 and he went through a brief break in period, but isn't having any problems now.

I too am looking at some DIY modifications to the forehead lining, but haven't decided on exactly what. I'll post my decision and results, probably over the weekend.

Attachment 272112
Old 06-20-2011, 03:16 PM   #9
TSD OP
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
Almost impossible to get a pic of the tab. If you look on page 91 of the C-3 Manual, You'll see a pic of it under "winter and summer adjustment". Just remove the tab. Guess a bit of duct tape will suffice in the winter...

C-3 Manual link: http://www.schuberth.com/fileadmin/d.../C3_manual.pdf
2012 Sertao
TSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:40 PM   #10
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

or go to a craft store and buy a few penny mini cork bottle plugs
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSD View Post
Almost impossible to get a pic of the tab. If you look on page 91 of the C-3 Manual, You'll see a pic of it under "winter and summer adjustment". Just remove the tab. Guess a bit of duct tape will suffice in the winter...

C-3 Manual link: http://www.schuberth.com/fileadmin/d.../C3_manual.pdf
Old 08-25-2012, 03:58 AM   #11
ZX14R
ZX14R

Oddometer: 1
Hey guys, I realize this is an 'old' thread, but I'm bringing back to life, with a red mark in my forehead!!

I got a C3 the other day. In the shop, it felt pretty good. Very snug all over, but felt about right. A little pressure on my forehead but I thought it would be okay. The other day I took a ride, and when I took the helmet off, I had the signature tall rectangle mark on top of my forehead, just like Nom the Tour here. Well, not that red, but it would have been if it was a long ride!

Since many of you had issues, I'm wondering, how's your helmet now? Got a bit looser? I've already tried a bit with a spoon, didn't help much. Don't want to modify it too much you know.

I saw online that Revzilla.com sells a Schuberth helmet liner. I see some reviews saying it helped the forehead issue a bit. Anyone with that experience?

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...3-helmet-liner

Thanks guys. Helmet feels really solid, but this mark just won't work!

Using an XL by the way..
ZX14R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:27 AM   #12
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,947
It was cold (teens F) when I got my C3 a couple years ago so the flap was in the winter position and I had no fit issues. In the spring, when it warmed up to 40F and I put the flap in the tucked back position, I immediately noticed the pressure.

Ten minutes applying pressure with the end of a baseball bat (gently rolling it over the area with a good amount of downward pressure) solved the problem. That was 30k miles ago.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:34 AM   #13
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,688
How they could claim that much development and charge that much and then fail so miserably is beyond me. I bought one with all the electronic toys for my trip to Alaska. I even gave my self a few months to break it in. I talked with the Schuberth rep in person and he recommended that I buy different cheek pads which I bought and which did no good. No joy at all with the experience or with Schuberth's understanding of the problem. I sold it for a big loss and went in my Arai RX-7 in total comfort.

Cutting things out of a $600 helmet, duct taping vents, and bashing it with a hammer is a disgrace.

Schuberth can KMA forever and ever. Amen.
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #14
Iron Rey
Oh shit, not him!

Oddometer: 816
I had the red mark and a splitting headache after 50 miles when I got mine, easily solved using a baseball to flatten it slightly in the area, 30K+ in it and loving it.
Iron Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #15
WyldeBill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I have spent limited time wearing the Schuberth C3 in the shop and never felt any problem in the forehead area but again limited time in the helmet. I really tried to like the helmet but in the time I played with it there was a very uncomfortable throat pain. The ratchet chin strap just sat right on my neck and my Adams apple and was very annoying in a 5 – 10 minute wear… cant imagine a long ride in it… especially at the price they ask.. I ended up going with the Nolan N 104 for a bunch less money.

Wylde Bill