User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2011, 08:31 PM   #1
sonoran OP
you already know

Oddometer: 25,639
REI Half Dome Plus tent

So I'm looking at picking up a new tent and I keep coming back to this one because of the size. It's a 2 man but a little wider and a foot longer than the typical 2 man setup.

http://www.rei.com/product/794296

Anyone have one of these? Is it a good tent or should I keep looking?
sonoran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
moist
Thaumaturgist

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoran View Post
So I'm looking at picking up a new tent and I keep coming back to this one because of the size. It's a 2 man but a little wider and a foot longer than the typical 2 man setup.

http://www.rei.com/product/794296

Anyone have one of these? Is it a good tent or should I keep looking?
I bought one a year ago for a ride I was going on and then I lost my job, so I canceled the trip and have not used it.
I love the ease of set up (color keyed poles) and the size. The quality is awesome.

I wish I could give you more information.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:55 PM   #3
sopascat
aka "DevilCat"

Oddometer: 4,089
I have the half dome 2 (prior year, & not the plus).....

I have camped with it a number of times & am very pleased with it, very easy to set up, plenty of room for myself & keeping some of my gear inside the tent. Because of the way it's set up, you can keep some stuff outside the tent, but under the cover of the rainfly, like boots & luggage. I imagine mine might be a bit too cozy for two, but the plus does have a bit more room.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:09 PM   #4
chrome bandit
Wide footed adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Cool2 Popular tent

A few quick thoughts...
  • I see lots of this tent among the ride reports and out on my trips. You'll see two in the picture below.
  • Affordable, good value, kept me dry in a few storms, no leakage until I removed protection while packing up. I picked up mine during one of the REI 20% sales, so the value is even better.
  • Tight fit for two people inside, great for one person with gear. Nice to have two entrances.
  • There's apparently some differences between the current version available in stores and the earlier generation one (that I have) that have people whining about the new pole configuration. I suggest you play with one in the stores to see how it works.
chrome bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:13 PM   #5
rockydog
just a guy

Oddometer: 888
i've had my reg size dome for a year or 2. good tent, easy up and down, dry. i tie a short length of parachute cord to the loop in the center of the tent to hold n the mesh doors up and out of way while packing stuff in or out.
Attached Images

Rockydog woofs the Isles, British Isles

rockydog screwed with this post 02-09-2011 at 09:40 PM
rockydog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:23 AM   #6
jazzdrum69
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
I have the new one

I used the new one for a 4 day trip through scotland. It was very wet and the tent was nice and dry inside. It has a lot of cool little features like 2 roof panels that can be "locked" open with a velcro tab to increase airflow, ven in the rain without getting wet. As mentioned before, 2 doors wich is very convenient for storing gear in both vetibules, whic are decently sized...and a previous mention about the mesh doors...they can be tucked away into the little pocket that is sewn into the wall just behind the door to eliminate this problem. Great ventilation: One evening after getting beat up by horrible weather on the isle of skyy, I got to the campsight and simply put it together with the rainfly without staking it and passed out inside...it rained that night and I stayed dy and ventilated (with the aforementioned roof panels open). Packs small and light...plenty of room and clever design maximizes headroom. In the pics in this thread you can se that with the fly on, it looks like a standard hex dome tent, but it is rectangular-ish so the vestibules have plenty of space on the sides. I had plenty of room for all of my gear without it being cramped but I was alone...I also didn't have the plus model, just the 2 man, but then I am only 5'6" 170lbs. 2 could sleep in it but only if she is purty .

I reccomend it.
jazzdrum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:37 AM   #7
ADVWannabee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
That tent looks to be very similar to the Eureka Apex 2XT which can be had for $85 from SunnySports.com. The REI tent is a little longer but the Eureka is a bit wider. FWIW, I have the Eureka and really like it. It is probably the best deal on a quality tent out there.
ADVWannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:00 AM   #8
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 8,550
Generally, a 2-person dome tent is the best solution. "Two-person" because you'll always need to stash gear and a 1-person tent can get crowded in a hurry.

REI has been around for a while and has a quality "house brand". Years ago the lower priced tents (like Coleman or Eureka) tended to be heavier and less well-designed than the top drawer backpacking/mountaineering gear like Sierra Designs or North Face, but over the last few years the "minimum standards" have come up quite a bit and the entry-level equipment is quite good. This may lap onto personal preference, but I'd avoid Wally World and shop at an outdoor store.

But a dome tent is an excellent choice. Lightweight, packs small and easy to set up. I'd see about getting their recommended "footprint" or groundcloth, it will save a lot of wear-and-tear on the tent floor.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:09 AM   #9
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,127
I have the non-plus version and am very happy with it, except for cold weather use. Which, for some reason, seems to be when I camp more. My previous tent had nice mesh doors that let air through, but you could zip a solid panel in place to control the airflow. The REI has a lot of mesh all over the body of the tent that in colder weather you feel even the lightest of breezes. Yes, I know it is a 3 season tent, but I'm just passing that along for folks that might be tempted to try sub freezing temps with it.

In the summer, without the fly, it is nice and cool. Good down to the 40's and does a very good job in the wind and rain.

Oh, and I use it as a one man tent just because I bring most of my stuff in instead of leaving it in the vestibule area.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:46 AM   #10
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
Myself and three of my buddies started camping and riding this year on a regular basis. I already had gear, but all three of them bought the tent you are looking at. Seems to be the best bang for the buck.

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:54 AM   #11
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrome bandit View Post
There's apparently some differences between the current version available in stores and the earlier generation one (that I have) that have people whining about the new pole configuration. I suggest you play with one in the stores to see how it works.
the new ones changed the zipper run for the Vestibule. Now when you open the vestibule zipper, even a few inches the fly allows water into the main body of the tent.
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:56 AM   #12
MAWee
Comfortably Noob

Oddometer: 47
The HD 2 plus was the tent I had decided on purchasing for my recent trip to the Gulf states. I am 6'-3" 275lbs and the extra length was necessary. It is not the smallest/lightest out there but everything is a compromise. When I went to pick it up the half dome 4 was on sale $20 cheaper. I compared packed rolls side by side and no real noticable difference so, I went with the 4. Once up the 4 man is huge on the inside. I can hold a party in there. Great height which makes it good for getting changed etc. The dual vestibules easily hold my boots and side cases. The interior holds all my clothes and gear spread out without having to organize to fit. Added bonus is my wife and I can use it to car camp and still be comfy.
I will say that the 4 man is just at the point of needing 2 people to set up. I can do it but it goes much quicker with someone handling the far end of the poles. Temps got down to the upper 30's and I had no interior condensation. If I put my poles rolled up in my sleeping pad strapped to the seat, I believe I can fit the tent and my sleeping bag in my Givi side case.
I don't think you will go wrong with the HD 2 plus.
Best part of REI is if there is ever a problem with the tent just bring it back and they will fix or replace.
MAWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #13
sonoran OP
you already know

Oddometer: 25,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
the new ones changed the zipper run for the Vestibule. Now when you open the vestibule zipper, even a few inches the fly allows water into the main body of the tent.
I read a review on the REI site which mentioned that but later reviews said it's not an issue. It is still the one concern I have. However, I live in AZ and we don't get much rain here so it's something I can probably live with.
sonoran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:45 AM   #14
MAWee
Comfortably Noob

Oddometer: 47
The high fly zipper is still an issue. Fully opened it projects into the body of the tent 3 or so inches. I would never open the fly zip fully when raining and in the morning I give the fly a shake to rid any excess dew. Once again everything is a compromise and ease of entry is a nice feature with this tent
MAWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:22 PM   #15
1P8RIOT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
I'm real happy with mine. Works great for one person and gear. I keep my gear in dry bags so they do fine in the vestabules (sp?) There's even room to get dressed in the tent which is great on rainy mornings

'09 F800GS YEAH BABY!!!
1P8RIOT is offline   Reply With Quote