User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2014, 01:57 PM   #1
Parx400 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,397
Back seat waterproof bag for camping

SO i need some suggestions for an overnight bag.

I take my caponord on alot of single over night trips with lots off road. My bike is kept in the basement of a high water Victorian style house. I have a door with a ramp that is just barely wide enough to get the bike through. My metal Panniers are far to wide to fit on the bike and get though ( its not a straight shot). Once Im outside I have to get thought a narrow gate, again panniers don't fit.

Because of this i'm always packing my bike in the morning out on the street. I would like to through a dry duffel bag on the top case mounting plate and the rear seat that can be all ready to go the night before.

Needs to fit small REI tent, backpacking bag, small thermarest, jet boil etc.

Brand and size suggestions please.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:13 PM   #2
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,409
Does your pannier manufacturer offer liner bags,that would be one way to go.

Twisted Throttle has liner bags/dry bags for their panniers,check your box dimensions and see if there is a close fit.

NRS,Sealine and others offer many sizes/shapes of dry bags.

As for a throw over bag look at Wolfman,Ortlieb,Sealine,NRS,Seattle Sports.

You mention owning some REI equipment,go check their kayaking/rafting section for dry bags.

Walmart sometimes has a big dry bag in their sporting goods section.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:25 PM   #3
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,006
Nelson Rigg drybag is a good value, and well made. Mine sat outside during a severe thunderstorm for nearly an hour (while I ducked inside a convenience store). Everything inside was bone dry when I unpacked the next day. A medium suits my needs for a week, but I don't camp. You may want to get the large, or pick up a dry bag from Walmart for your camp gear (I got one to pack gifts in, tested it out in the shower before I left and it was watertight. not bad for $8.00)
Old 07-07-2014, 03:32 PM   #4
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,634
I use U.S.Army waterproof bag for camping gear . They are large, cheap & durable. Nylon cord at top and you tie it up. Guess what color?
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #5
Parx400 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Bag purchased. I found a Giant loop great basin on clearance for 300 brand new. Could not justify the 450 retail but 300 will do.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:46 PM   #6
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
Bag purchased. I found a Giant loop great basin on clearance for 300 brand new. Could not justify the 450 retail but 300 will do.
I bought a slightly used Motofizz Medium bag from Flea Market and it came with a sil-nylon raincover. IIRC, I paid around $125 for it. With a DWR, the Motofizz bag is water resistant, with the sil-nylon cover, it is waterproof.

I've heard great things about the Giant Loop bags.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:13 PM   #7
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,371
Quote:
Kayak dry bag. If you hunt around, you'll find some with decent ties down points that work well on a bike.

A lot cheaper, a lot more waterproof (designed to keep water out when the kayak goes under , not just keep out rain) and probably tougher than motorcycle gear.

I use one instead of a top box when I know I'll be doing a lot of dirt.

Pete
PeterW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:28 AM   #8
Parx400 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I have the sx north face base camp bag already I strap on when the hard top case comes off.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:28 AM   #9
TorontoBrit
TorontoBrit

Oddometer: 294
Onsight

I have a 70L Onsight Tarmac Duffle bag. It fits my tent, sleeping bag, thermarest, toolkit, liners for jacket and pants....etc... I strap it to the rear seat, so I can lean back against it. It has been through some pretty torrential downpours and no water entry, even though it is not described as a dry bag.

http://www.onsightequipment.com/duffle-bags

Old 07-08-2014, 07:50 PM   #10
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,158
Quote:
I have the sx north face base camp bag already I strap on when the hard top case comes off.
I use the TNF Duffel bags in three different sizes. The are not advertised as waterproof but have kept my gear dry in Alaska where it rained nearly every day. I tried waterproof roll type bags and while they keep the water out they are hard to access and the shape makes it harder to put stuff on top. TNF bags also have points to lash even more crap to,

Twohondas screwed with this post 07-11-2014 at 04:16 PM
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:05 AM   #11
rockydog
just a guy

Oddometer: 770
I've had an old Ortleib bag for a long time, then got a Helen TwoWheels bag and really like the 2 bands of reflective strap on either side through which you can thread your tie down straps.

Rockydog woofs the isles, British isles
rockydog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:24 AM   #12
mwood7800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
All kinds of dry bags available for 30$ or less, I have used a yellow bag off eBay for the past 10 years that I got for 20$ shipped.
mwood7800 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:45 AM   #13
Xan13x
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwood7800 View Post
All kinds of dry bags available for 30$ or less, I have used a yellow bag off eBay for the past 10 years that I got for 20$ shipped.
What this guy said. If you're looking for something water proof that will bungee to the back of a bike, you don't have to spend 100+ dollars. That's not to say that the motorcycle specific bags at or well above that price aren't great, but you're paying for straps, loops, pockets, etc. If you need those things, go for it. Otherwise just grab a big enough generic dry bag and you'll be good.
Xan13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:12 AM   #14
NHTOTEROAD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
I have a Firstgear Torrent waterproof duffle. It has worked well for me, keeps things dry. The price was good. It has lots of tie-down options. The duffle comes in 3 sizes and there is also a back-pack.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/f...ent-duffle-bag
NHTOTEROAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:21 AM   #15
wjfawb0
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
I used to bungee my kayaking dry bag (NRS I think?) to the top of my FZ1 on longer camping trips. My givi hard cases were pretty much waterproof.

http://www.fawbush.org/images/2011_7...1_7_camp_7.JPG

Like one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/NRS-Tuff-Sack-...rds=nrs+drybag
wjfawb0 is offline   Reply With Quote