Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2012, 07:32 AM   #166
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,207
In case fellow Klim Latitude owners haven't seen it, a Klim rep has been answering questions in this thread...

KLIM QnA: GORE-TEX
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #167
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,303
Question

thanks for the link....I am sure this has been covered in the previous pages somewhere but since we just got the jackets...anyone have issues with the height and stiffness of the collar? It buggers up my helmet and makes shoulder checks uncomfortable. I washed the jacket tonight and make sure when I zip up the zipper to the top that the little piece of felt is against my neck but man oh man...it is a tall collar.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:50 AM   #168
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
thanks for the link....I am sure this has been covered in the previous pages somewhere but since we just got the jackets...anyone have issues with the height and stiffness of the collar? It buggers up my helmet and makes shoulder checks uncomfortable. I washed the jacket tonight and make sure when I zip up the zipper to the top that the little piece of felt is against my neck but man oh man...it is a tall collar.
Yeah, mine is the same, but it's getting better the more I wear it... softening up. The upper part was so stiff at first (and the little tab I mentioned WAY back in this thread wasn't helping) that I couldn't even zip it all the way up with one hand. That got better after the first wash and is even easier now that I've worn it a bunch. Still, the biggest PITA is that there's nothing to hold the collar open when it's not zipped all the way up. I guess the Badlands jacket has a snap. Wish they'd have added one to the Latitude.

That link has some good tips for washing Klim Gore-Tex gear, BTW. As an example, I didn't realize that it's better to wash without laundry soap unless REALLY soiled. As the KLIM rep explains, the surfactants in the soap are wetting agents and act in the opposite way the DWR (Durable Water Repellent) does. The DWR is surface treatment KLIM puts on the fabric face during manufacture and causes water to bead up rather than soak into the fabric. DWR is refreshed by heat (yes, dryer heat... medium). I can wear off over time, but it sounds like it's truly "durable" and takes awhile for this to happen. A spray-on DWR is available to reapply, if necessary. He goes on to say to test DWR, simply spray some water on your gear after it comes out of the dryer. If it beads up, you're good to go. If the fabric absorbs the water, it's time to reapply the DWR.

All in all, good stuff in that thread and the rep is doing a great job of answering questions... even that they've got more gear in woman sizes coming soon.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:55 AM   #169
OTB
Oh fer Chrissakes

Oddometer: 7,279
Quote:
I tried on a Latitude jacket recently and really wanted it. But, the collar was a deal killer. It would drive me nuts on a long trip. It's tall and akward(sp). The adjustability is fiddly as well with the rear draw string, which can't be done on the fly. I'll wait for vestion 2.0.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:58 AM   #170
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
I tried on a Latitude jacket recently and really wanted it. But, the collar was a deal killer. It would drive me nuts on a long trip. It's tall and akward(sp). The adjustability is fiddly as well with the rear draw string, which can't be done on the fly. I'll wait for vestion 2.0.

Like I just posted, it definitely softens up with use. Remember... this is an all-weather jacket. When things get shitty, you'll be glad that collar is there.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #171
OTB
Oh fer Chrissakes

Oddometer: 7,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narsisco Lopez View Post
Like I just posted, it definitely softens up with use. Remember... this is an all-weather jacket. When things get shitty, you'll be glad that collar is there.
I disagree. No way to keep the tab out of the way when the collar is open is rooky stuff. The ability to tighten the collar easily around the neck, while moving is more important than height.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #172
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Quote:
I disagree. No way to keep the tab out of the way when the collar is open is rooky stuff. The ability to tighten the collar easily around the neck, while moving is more important than height.
While not the best solution (I'd prefer a snap), I'm able to tuck the tab as shown in the photo below. It stays put, even at 100mph (don't ask how I know )

Also, the whole collar rolls down and STAYS rolled down... no problem. Yeah, can't really do it while riding, but it's no big deal.

Damn... I should shave today
Old 04-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #173
DiamondLie
Banned

Oddometer: 464
Agreed...ROLL the damn thing down. It taint rocket science folks!

This is one nice riding suit any way you slice it.
DiamondLie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #174
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Quote:
To confirm, I went for a ride today and did a bit of testing. Even with my gloves on, I was able to reach back and pull the neck cinch to tighten the collar... did it at about 80mph on a fairly busy piece of interstate, too. I was also able to loosen it: reached back and grabbed the cord lock, squeezed it, and shook my neck... loosened right up.

And...

Just to prove it to myself, I waited till I was in less traffic and used both hands to roll down my collar... piece of cake.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #175
gallowaystx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narsisco Lopez View Post
While not the best solution (I'd prefer a snap), I'm able to tuck the tab as shown in the photo below. It stays put, even at 100mph (don't ask how I know )

Oh man that changes everything. Thanks.
gallowaystx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #176
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Couple more photos I just took of the collar fully zipped up, but with it rolled down...

Old 04-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #177
skianreid
Boulder Moto

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Have to agree, I own this suit too and I am 6'1" biggest pet peeve for me is the jacket is way too stiff and the collar Is a real pain. Very disappointing from KLIM in IMHO. I will also say that the rear venting is usless if you wear a camelback. Not the typical R&D you expect from the KLIM group. My review after 3000 miles a 6 out of ten. Reasons

1) Product delivered does not hold up to application use typical of Klim
2) Collar to boardy
3) Fit boxy and wide (standing no problem, sitting you feel the Jacket up into your helmet)
4) Breathability of Gore (Non-existant in shoulder season and product a sweat box in anything over 70 degrees)
5) I find this kit one that I can only use in winter months. I need a whole new kit for spring,fall and summer.
6) It's very difficult to wear with a neck brace.

The good.
1) stitching is solid
2) pockets are well placed although the two Napoleon pockets should have mesh to aid in venting when not full of gear
3) nice long cut
4) waterproof at 80 mph in the rain
5) Cut's the bitter wind of winter

If looking at this kit I would look at it as a winter one. I would love to see Klim do this pattern in a lighter Cordura that was less boardy, more venting, Something I could wear in Baja and Copper Canyon and not just winter in Colorado. They have a pant but does anybody know of a jacket they make for busting the Dez south of the border?
skianreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #178
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
Looking at getting a Latitude for a trip to Sth America and beyond. The mention in the last post about not being good in hot weather bothers me a bit... I know there is no suit that is going to be "comfortable" in the tropics, but I've but I've been led to believe that the Latitude's ventilation is better than average. Not true?

One thing I've been wondering that might be a partial solution - I have a Juggernaut pressure suit - I don't know whether to take it or not. It's a hassle to wear all the time, but on the other hand, a hassle to carry if you're not wearing it. However... if it fits comfortably under the Latitude, I think I could wear it as a regular part of the kit. Will it fit, or would I have to go a size up?

Then, if the jacket turns out to be too hot in the tropics, I can just remove it and ride in pressure suit alone, be cool but not give up any protection.

Feasible?

Trevor
Old 04-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #179
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
Looking at getting a Latitude for a trip to Sth America and beyond. The mention in the last post about not being good in hot weather bothers me a bit... I know there is no suit that is going to be "comfortable" in the tropics, but I've but I've been led to believe that the Latitude's ventilation is better than average. Not true?

One thing I've been wondering that might be a partial solution - I have a Juggernaut pressure suit - I don't know whether to take it or not. It's a hassle to wear all the time, but on the other hand, a hassle to carry if you're not wearing it. However... if it fits comfortably under the Latitude, I think I could wear it as a regular part of the kit. Will it fit, or would I have to go a size up?

Then, if the jacket turns out to be too hot in the tropics, I can just remove it and ride in pressure suit alone, be cool but not give up any protection.

Feasible?

Trevor
You may want to consider Klim Traverse jacket/pants... shell only, no CE armor (can buy it separately or wear your armor under). The Traverse is lighter and has more venting.

You also might like to check out LD Comfort Base Layers. Pretty versatile stuff... acts like a nice insulating layer when it's chilly, but you can soak it in water (or pour water over it) and it acts as an evaporative-cooling system. A soaked LD Comfort layer under a shell will keep you cooler than just wearing your pressure suit.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #180
skianreid
Boulder Moto

Oddometer: 108
It will be a sweat box in the tropics. Best to look at other options IMO. It is also very boardy to stash. Again IMO
skianreid is offline   Reply With Quote