Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 03:54 AM   #406
AdrianB1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
I just crashed today in my brand new Latitude suit. Rain, car changes lane and hits the brakes in front of me trying to turn 180, I lost front wheel and I did a lowside, slided on the road 20-30 feet on the left side and stopped, the bike hit the car.

The pants are apparently in very good shape, just a minor cut at the rear in the external Cordura layer and abrasion mark on the left pocket zipper protector; I will probably find more after a good wash. The jacket is the Misano variant and it has a few cuts at the light Misano Cordura layer on the arm - I really wish I have bought the non-Misano variant as it is stronger. I have injuries to a hand and a knee - the Vanucci rain gloves do not offer much protection while the pants knee protector did the part, but I think it moved to the side during the slide because the hurt area is right in the middle of the knee, not on a side.

In the end: great pants, saved my skin; good jacket, 840 Cordura is probably best.

Any advice on stitching the cuts? They are all less than 1 cm (0.4 inch) long, Cordura layer only. Sending the suit from Europe to Klim for repairs will cost probably the same as buying a new set, so this is not an option.
AdrianB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:12 AM   #407
ar1814
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Glad to hear you're OK and glad to hear that the Latitude protected you and survived so well. I haven't had to try (and hopefully never will) the abrasion resistance of mine.

Thanks for the feedback, ride safe
ar1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #408
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianB1 View Post
Any advice on stitching the cuts? They are all less than 1 cm (0.4 inch) long, Cordura layer only. Sending the suit from Europe to Klim for repairs will cost probably the same as buying a new set, so this is not an option.
Glad you're not hurt badly. If the suit is compromised such that you don't want to continue to wear it, I'd view it as a consumable after a crash like this, just like a helmet.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #409
keiji
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
I just crashed today in my brand new Latitude suit. Rain, car changes lane and hits the brakes in front of me trying to turn 180, I lost front wheel and I did a lowside, slided on the road 20-30 feet on the left side and stopped, the bike hit the car.

The pants are apparently in very good shape, just a minor cut at the rear in the external Cordura layer and abrasion mark on the left pocket zipper protector; I will probably find more after a good wash. The jacket is the Misano variant and it has a few cuts at the light Misano Cordura layer on the arm - I really wish I have bought the non-Misano variant as it is stronger. I have injuries to a hand and a knee - the Vanucci rain gloves do not offer much protection while the pants knee protector did the part, but I think it moved to the side during the slide because the hurt area is right in the middle of the knee, not on a side.

In the end: great pants, saved my skin; good jacket, 840 Cordura is probably best.

If you want to patch any holes, you can, but you will need to seam seal it from the inside as well as any other holes in the gore-tex if you want to stay ry. There is a seam in the mesh lining of one of the arms that is top stitched - you can open this up and turn the jacket inside out to inspect the membrane.

That being said - it is a LOT of labor to do yourself, so it might be worth it to just buy something else.
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #410
Xeraux OP
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
I wish Klim made a jacket like the Latitude or the Badlands that doesn't contain some form of Gore-Tex™ or waterproofing.

They're already making pants like this, the Dakar pants for instance. Why not a jacket?

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:47 AM   #411
AdrianB1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
There are 2 tiny holes on the arm and 2 on the pants; the Goretex layers are not affected, I can use the suit even without patching but my concern is the cuts just not to grow larger in time until the suit is compromised.

I don't consider the suit as expendable and in no way I compare it to a helmet. In case of a crash the foam in the helmet gets compressed and it will not protect the next time, in case of abrasion the suit looks almost intact, you need to search very well to find the cuts and they are in some areas I would not expect to use too often (on the jacket it's just next to the armpit, I probably left the adjustments too large and the entire arm rotated during the slide).
AdrianB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:31 AM   #412
keiji
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
There are 2 tiny holes on the arm and 2 on the pants; the Goretex layers are not affected, I can use the suit even without patching but my concern is the cuts just not to grow larger in time until the suit is compromised.

I don't consider the suit as expendable and in no way I compare it to a helmet. In case of a crash the foam in the helmet gets compressed and it will not protect the next time, in case of abrasion the suit looks almost intact, you need to search very well to find the cuts and they are in some areas I would not expect to use too often (on the jacket it's just next to the armpit, I probably left the adjustments too large and the entire arm rotated during the slide).
Have you actually tested it for waterproofness? As it is a 2L laminate, it is not unheard of for the gore-tex laminate to be damaged from abrasion with the mesh lining in a crash - I have seen armacor look fine on the outside, but have half a dozen or so holes in the membrane from this.

If the damage is as minor as you say, I would just use one of those adhesive/iron on gore-tex patches. The genuine ones are kind of pricey, but the adhesive is more compatible with the DWR coating from my understanding.

Also, FYI. On cheaper jackets, certain construction shortcuts are made (no hidden stitching, no overlocking of seam edges, etc) which would cause a seam to be weaker and more prone to bursting after a crash. The Latitude's seams are taped so they should be stronger, but it is still worth doing an inspection on the inside.
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #413
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,256
new Klim Latitude hi-vis

Old 03-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #414
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
Good info. Thanx. I have one of the first Misanos and always wondered a little about the abrasion resistance. Good to know it's "OK".

I kinda agree with the attitude about gear being disposable, but at these prices you'd hope to be able to crash a few times before discarding. OTOH, compared to the typical insurance deductible for an ER visit any safety equipment is a sound economic investment even if you have to throw it away after a crash.

I cut my left index finger open on a broken wine glass last year - a deep 1" incision. I could not get the bleeding stopped and it happened after hours, so no "urgent care" was open, only the ER. Ten stitches and one hour later I got a bill for $1200. My share was $600. I can't imagine how much a real motorcycle crash with injuries would entail in terms of deductible. So I no longer skimp on gear or wearing it. YMMV, natch'.

FB
Old 03-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #415
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
KLIM just saved me $550. Hi-viz is what I had heard was coming but the jacket should have been black and HV not this gray/silver color. I really wanted to get the new Latitude with HV but it won't be this one. Ick is about all I can say on the color but I'm sure there will be others that think it's just right.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #416
bastimentos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
KLIM just saved me $550. Hi-viz is what I had heard was coming but the jacket should have been black and HV not this gray/silver color. I really wanted to get the new Latitude with HV but it won't be this one. Ick is about all I can say on the color but I'm sure there will be others that think it's just right.
Always the Badlands HV if you prefer it against black.

bastimentos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #417
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,285
While we owned and sold the First generation Latitude...I tried on the Misano version. Yes light but that collar is still way too high....thought KLIM would have listened to the hundreds of complaints regarding the height of the first collar
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #418
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
I think it looks great. I bought a tan one a year ago, but I'm seriously thinking about selling it for the hi-viz. I had a hi-viz Aerostich Roadcrafter for a decade and am a believer that anything you can do to more yourself more conspicuous is a measure worth taking, even if it means you're a little dorky.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #419
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,034
It must be tough being a manufacturer like Klim. You fight off adding something like HighViz for so long, even though so many people request it. Then, you sell your soul to the devil and start leaking photos of the new HighViz that you didn't want to do in the first place, and everyone whines about it
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #420
Xeraux OP
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
It must be tough being a manufacturer like Klim. You fight off adding something like HighViz for so long, even though so many people request it. Then, you sell your soul to the devil and start leaking photos of the new HighViz that you didn't want to do in the first place, and everyone whines about it

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote