ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #241
bubu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Very nice yellow TLR!!

But if i could give you an advice, don't let the crash pads on your bike. On the TLR, the crash pads can destroye engine and body, it's really not a good idea...

I'm fan of the TLR too and i have mine since 2002, and now i prepare this bike for racing...

If you have any problems, ask me!!

bubu screwed with this post 01-08-2012 at 10:54 AM
bubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:30 PM   #242
luckychucky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
bigger PIC of My Suzuki

A new owner of this DR650, used 900 miles. Soon I'm going to add a new seat. I had the old GIVI bag laying around
From Suzuki DR 650
Attached Images

luckychucky screwed with this post 01-10-2012 at 03:05 PM
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #243
luckychucky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
Other Side of new DR650

I only bought a Suzuki after reading 3000 pages of Avid Rider. I still havent received my stickers that I ordered forever ago?
Attached Images

luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:09 PM   #244
Heckmann
Chegadera

Oddometer: 33
Cool2 DL in the lake

In the lake
Attached Images

Heckmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:35 PM   #245
Ohio_Danimal
Midlife Crisis Man

Oddometer: 589
My SV has been the perfect platform to morph into a wonderful sport tourer. All the shortcomings that the bike had due to it's retail price are easily improved at a reasonable cost.
It's been dependable too, with over 100,000 miles on her (2003)

Anger is age, hell bent.

Ohio_Danimal screwed with this post 01-08-2012 at 06:47 PM
Ohio_Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:38 AM   #246
ThomasVolomitz OP
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,321
It's amazing how many Zuki V twins have gone over 100,000 miles. And from the pics yours look great.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:29 AM   #247
whittrated03
Steady Rollin' Man

Oddometer: 221
Im a Yamaha guy. Im on my 25th motorcycle...18 have been Yamaha's. BUT, nobody makes a bike that can touch the Suzuki V-Strom. Im now riding a V-Strom 650 and put 50k on the bike. Suzuki has really opened my eyes with the Strom...they did some serious engineering and R&D on this bike because this thing is bullet proof. I ridde with BMW GSA 1200 and theres nothing the expemsive bikes can do that I cant do as good or better...and still get 20mpg more!! The magic of this combo is the over built and understressed engine. Suzuki put the engine in the perfect chassis with a good wheelbase ,decent suspension and and fairly protective fairing for the long haul days. These bikes have a nearly cult like following. They have the market in the 650cc TWIN adventure segment. Yamaha, Kawa, both make a 650cc bike but they are singles and are 80% dirt. Im a huge fan of the Strom and ride it hard off road an then jump on the interstate for a smooth, quite and protected ride home. KI highlyt recommed this bike for any person thats looking to enter the Adventure riding segment
Old 01-09-2012, 05:47 AM   #248
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,837
Great thread. I ride a DRZ400 here in the twisty gravel mountain backroads & love it. Throught I might like to try out a VStrom 650, and "thought" I'd found one for a good price last summer. But when the guy road up on it I realized that I'd confused the model name, instead of being a DL650 it was an SV650.....duh- Me!

The price was "right", but I wasn't sure I wanted a pure street bike, and wasn't sure I liked the handlebar height, so I passed on it. After reading more here I regret not buying her... Oh well, now I know better.

The DL650 is a hard bike to find "priced right". A good reputation can be a bad thing.....when you're shopping!
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:27 AM   #249
Ianstein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Picked up my 2005 SV650 this past year and love it. Took this pic on a ride to the lake shore a few weeks back.

Ianstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #250
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,867
I know some people think the naked SV's are "bland" but I LOVE them, and that looks like a nice clean example!
Old 01-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #251
Ohio_Danimal
Midlife Crisis Man

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by whittrated03 View Post
Im a Yamaha guy. Im on my 25th motorcycle...18 have been Yamaha's. BUT, nobody makes a bike that can touch the Suzuki V-Strom. Im now riding a V-Strom 650 and put 50k on the bike. Suzuki has really opened my eyes with the Strom...they did some serious engineering and R&D on this bike because this thing is bullet proof. I ridde with BMW GSA 1200 and theres nothing the expemsive bikes can do that I cant do as good or better...and still get 20mpg more!! The magic of this combo is the over built and understressed engine. Suzuki put the engine in the perfect chassis with a good wheelbase ,decent suspension and and fairly protective fairing for the long haul days. These bikes have a nearly cult like following. They have the market in the 650cc TWIN adventure segment. Yamaha, Kawa, both make a 650cc bike but they are singles and are 80% dirt. Im a huge fan of the Strom and ride it hard off road an then jump on the interstate for a smooth, quite and protected ride home. KI highlyt recommed this bike for any person thats looking to enter the Adventure riding segment
On the subject of the motor that the SV and Weestrom share, it is well known in racing cirles that the motor is built about as hot as it can get w/out failure.

Racers that try extracting high HP numbers experience lower end failures. Calling the motor overbuilt I think is incorrect.
Mine has 104,000 miles and is starting to consume oil. Maybe a cup every 1500 miles.
Rather than spend the $$ on an top end rebuild, I am swapping in a used low-milage motor this winter (less than $500!)
I am not a small person (6'1" 230 lbs) and beat the crap out of my SV.

I am NOT putting the motor down, just clarifying that the motor isn't as bulletproof as you may think.

Anger is age, hell bent.
Ohio_Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #252
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,867
The top ends of the SV's and DL's are different. The DL makes less power than the SV, and at lower rpm, so the engines tend to last longer. The 1k's are also very similar to the TL's (which I've also owned) and THAT is the kind of situation where failures begin to happen; when you're already making 130ish hp, and want more. Above about 160hp and 10k rpm the bottom ends will start to go, but the DL's don't make that much power, and spend more time at low rpm, so they're more prone to lasting longer than the SV's and TL's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio_Danimal View Post
On the subject of the motor that the SV and Weestrom share, it is well known in racing cirles that the motor is built about as hot as it can get w/out failure.

Racers that try extracting high HP numbers experience lower end failures. Calling the motor overbuilt I think is incorrect.
Mine has 104,000 miles and is starting to consume oil. Maybe a cup every 1500 miles.
Rather than spend the $$ on an top end rebuild, I am swapping in a used low-milage motor this winter (less than $500!)
I am not a small person (6'1" 230 lbs) and beat the crap out of my SV.

I am NOT putting the motor down, just clarifying that the motor isn't as bulletproof as you may think.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #253
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina

Oddometer: 4,122

this thing is always a rush to ride!!
Old 01-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #254
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianstein View Post
Picked up my 2005 SV650 this past year and love it. Took this pic on a ride to the lake shore a few weeks back.

Lake Michigan? Looks familiar.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #255
hrdrckclmr
this is gona hurt

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
The top ends of the SV's and DL's are different. The DL makes less power than the SV, and at lower rpm, so the engines tend to last longer. The 1k's are also very similar to the TL's (which I've also owned) and THAT is the kind of situation where failures begin to happen; when you're already making 130ish hp, and want more. Above about 160hp and 10k rpm the bottom ends will start to go, but the DL's don't make that much power, and spend more time at low rpm, so they're more prone to lasting longer than the SV's and TL's.
also the internal ratios are diffrent talked to a friend with tl1000 asked what rpm he was turning at 70 he said about 5100 rpm where as my dl1000 was turning 3900 both with stock gearing
hrdrckclmr is offline   Reply With Quote