Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 06:06 AM   #796
Underboned
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Ventura View Post
And, oh: photos do not do justice to Re "Underboning" ... She's a real stunner in person, trust me on this :) Colin "Underboning" is a very lucky man!
Aw, shucks, Ronnie! Thanks for the compliment! Colin is a very patient man to tolerate me many days, so I'm the lucky one!

Underboned screwed with this post 05-01-2012 at 05:54 PM
Underboned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:14 AM   #797
Underboned
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by takemeaway View Post
I spent all weekend catching up here and getting Re's side from the blog.

Thank you for taking the time and energy to write these up and share with us. I can't express how much I enjoy reading and learning from you. This isn't my husbands comfort zone...so this is helping me ease him into the idea of possible trips.

Re, there are lots of guys here showing support, but want to let you know from one ADVgrrl to another...YOU ROCK! I'm reading along and enjoying it!
Glad you're enjoying our adventure. It honestly wasn't in my comfort zone when Colin first proposed this dumb idea either, but the places we've been, the things we've done and seen, all make me wish I'd left my comfortable, safe hole much earlier in life!
Old 05-01-2012, 06:17 AM   #798
Underboned
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Great work, guys. Re, you are my Heroine. I haven't caught up yet but your story deserves to be bumped up right now so I'm posting a reply.
Never in my wildest dreams, did I imagine that I would be someone's heroine. It's been quite a ride so far! Thanks!
Old 05-01-2012, 08:16 AM   #799
Harry94025
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Colin & Re,

Count me in as one of your faithful readers; thanks for sharing your journey! Question - you often refer to getting food at the "7Eleven". Are there really 7Elevens in Thailand, etc. or is this a euphemism for "a local store"?

Regards,
Harry
Harry94025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #800
Paul J Statham
Sign Maker

Oddometer: 33
Exciting ride

Colin and Rebecca
Thank you very much for the entertaining and informative RTW RR.
I have enjoyed it from start to now. I am very envious of the majority of your travels.
I would love to go to Thailand and visit the places you have. When you were there before what was your mode of transport.
I do some adventure traveling also on my GSA but only in Canada and the States so far and nothing like you guys.
I do like your choice of bikes for what you guys are doing . Is it your intention to bring them back home or leave them there when done. I am sure there is an emotional attachment to you loyal Symba Steeds.
I check for your posts every day. If you are ever around London Ontario Canada. Drop me a line and we can hook up.
I know my wife would love to meet you guys.
Keep up the good work
Stay Safe
Paul
Old 05-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #801
Scalpel 3000
Proficient Scootering

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry94025 View Post
Question - you often refer to getting food at the "7Eleven". Are there really 7Elevens in Thailand, etc. or is this a euphemism for "a local store"?
I can answer that: there are so many 7 Elevens in Thailand you would be amazed. Seriously, they're everywhere in the cities.
Scalpel 3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #802
yank-in-asia
S.E. Asia biker

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Are there really 7Elevens in Thailand, etc. or is this a euphemism for "a local store"?
Harry
RE: 7/11's
There are nearly 7,000 7/11 stores in Thailand. The number of stores is only exceeded by Japan and the US.
Per Thailand's population, there are more 7/11's, per person, than any other country! It's not rare, in the big cities to sometimes find two of the 7/11's within 100-meters of each other!
Thailand, also has a number of other mini-mart franchises, but they are much less common than the 7/11's.
One Thai company CP and CPF own the master franchise for 7/11's, and that's just a part of this mega companies'
food business.
yank-in-asia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #803
yank-in-asia
S.E. Asia biker

Oddometer: 16
Underboning...
For your much appreciated task of creating this incredible ride report, what wi-fi equipped notebook or tablet are you using to create your posts??
In Malaysia, were you using the Malsing (MSM) GPS map and was it helpful in finding guesthouses?

I expect to having my ride into Malaysia, biking there for the month of July (less rain!).
thanks...
yank-in-asia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #804
dubtruker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalpel 3000 View Post
I can answer that: there are so many 7 Elevens in Thailand you would be amazed. Seriously, they're everywhere in the cities.

The locals call em Seben! Farang call em Jept Sipedt! HaHa

of course its hard to type it in english characters.

dubtruker screwed with this post 05-01-2012 at 10:17 PM
dubtruker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:49 AM   #805
Ronnie Ventura
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underboning View Post
I spent a few hours on Sunday trying to figure out if either the Bonus or the Joyride had the same engine, but couldn't ever figure it out.
It's both :) The Joyride is essentially just a Bonus in different clothing.

Quote:
I am loving the inexpensive parts prices here in Malaysia, though. I just picked up two RK chains (to replace mine and have a spare) for 26 ringgit (9 USD) for both! And I also priced a replacement Yuasa battery for 36 ringgit (12 USD)!! It would be at least three times as much in the US and they'd probably have to order it. We should be back on the road soon, and then we'll have to make the trip down to Ipoh!
Yep: parts are cheap for mopeds because I think we have a wee bit more mopeds in Malaysia than America

That's about right for a Yuasa – I recalled telling Re in Cameron Highlands, expect to pay between USD10-15 for one, and no more. Yuasa is overrated in for many moped owners in Malaysia now, though. Most of us upgrade to sealed gel batteries from a couple of local manufacturers for roughly the price of stock Yuasas. Reason being, moped owners never check their battery fluids – sound familiar?

Cya in Ipoh soon! (I got me bike already, woo-hoo!)
Old 05-03-2012, 02:16 AM   #806
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 713
Quote:
Colin & Re,

Count me in as one of your faithful readers; thanks for sharing your journey! Question - you often refer to getting food at the "7Eleven". Are there really 7Elevens in Thailand, etc. or is this a euphemism for "a local store"?

Regards,
Harry
As others have already commented, yes indeed Thailand is full of 7Elevens. In places like Bangkok you can see as many as three on the same block. Even many small towns have them. They are good for things like water, yogurt, ice cream, and the cheapest beer prices. Malaysia also has 7Elevens, but not at the concentration that Thailand does. Strangely, Indonesia has no 7Elevens, but is covered with Circle Ks.
Underboning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:24 AM   #807
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J Statham View Post
Colin and Rebecca
Thank you very much for the entertaining and informative RTW RR.
I have enjoyed it from start to now. I am very envious of the majority of your travels.
I would love to go to Thailand and visit the places you have. When you were there before what was your mode of transport.
I do some adventure traveling also on my GSA but only in Canada and the States so far and nothing like you guys.
I do like your choice of bikes for what you guys are doing . Is it your intention to bring them back home or leave them there when done. I am sure there is an emotional attachment to you loyal Symba Steeds.
I check for your posts every day. If you are ever around London Ontario Canada. Drop me a line and we can hook up.
I know my wife would love to meet you guys.
Keep up the good work
Stay Safe
Paul
Thanks for the offer, if we ever are in the area we'll be sure to get in touch. We will be bringing the Symbas back home, largely because we have to. The terms of our Carnet require that we return the bikes to the US in order to get our deposit back (which in our case was 10K USD). Even if we weren't traveling in Carnet countries, most other countries require that you have a Temporary Import Permit (TIP) that is a guarantee that you will either remove the bike when you leave or pay a hefty import duty and penalty. We have and will end up spending more on shipping than the Symbas originally cost, but them's the rules. We'd probably take them home anyways, since they are our only real souvenirs from this trip. When we visited Thailand two years ago, we traveled by bus and train. Thailand has an excellent and relatively safe long distance public transportation system, and it's cheap too! We did rent both big and small bikes to tour around some of the areas we visited.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:34 AM   #808
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yank-in-asia View Post
Underboning...
For your much appreciated task of creating this incredible ride report, what wi-fi equipped notebook or tablet are you using to create your posts??
In Malaysia, were you using the Malsing (MSM) GPS map and was it helpful in finding guesthouses?
I expect to having my ride into Malaysia, biking there for the month of July (less rain!).
thanks...
We are using a cheap Acer Aspire 5741 laptop since we already had it and wouldn't cry too much if it got stolen or damaged. We also went with it since it has a full size screen (great for movies and other streamed content), a DVD drive (great for all the "inexpensive" DVDs for sale everywhere), and a decent keyboard (which is important when you consider that my RR is over 220 typed pages and Re's Blog is nearly 200 pages - that's a lot of typing!).

As for GPS maps, we are still using the OpenStreetMap.nl free maps and they have been good enough for us. The roads and streets in Malaysia are very well signed and easy to navigate. Other Malaysians have recommended the free maps from MalFreeMaps.com. Apparently they are the most popular and are frequently updated.

At the rate we are going (very slowly) we may still be here in July!
Old 05-03-2012, 02:36 AM   #809
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Ventura View Post
It's both :) The Joyride is essentially just a Bonus in different clothing.

Yep: parts are cheap for mopeds because I think we have a wee bit more mopeds in Malaysia than America

That's about right for a Yuasa – I recalled telling Re in Cameron Highlands, expect to pay between USD10-15 for one, and no more. Yuasa is overrated in for many moped owners in Malaysia now, though. Most of us upgrade to sealed gel batteries from a couple of local manufacturers for roughly the price of stock Yuasas. Reason being, moped owners never check their battery fluids – sound familiar?

Cya in Ipoh soon! (I got me bike already, woo-hoo!)
Congrats on the new bike! I may have to keep my eyes open for one (or two) of those sealed batteries next time I am in a bike shop, since Re's battery seems to have just about given up.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:43 AM   #810
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

4/17 Touring Some of the Beaches on Phuket

I woke up with a bad “dehydration headache” today, and Re was feeling very achy. After breakfast, we put on our swimsuits under our clothes, grabbed sunscreen and towels, jumped on the bikes, and headed south. We attempted to follow the coast as closely as possible around the southern tip of the island and and back up around the west coast. We visited Phuket island once before and really didn't care for the popular beaches like Patong and Karon. Too many old, fat, European guys in too small Speedos spread out on lounge chairs next to their “Oh my god, Grandma, put your top on,” wives. Somehow, they've all gotten enough sun to turn their skin into something resembling the leather on a well broken in baseball glove (honestly, the topless women look like they have two Coach leather duffel bags laying on their stomachs). Not a pretty sight. Instead, today we were searching for some of the other less populated beaches.

The ride wasn't much fun since the vast majority of where we rode was one long urban strip. The amount of development on this island is astounding. We stopped for lunch as Rawang Beach, where we found a woman selling fried chicken and sticky rice next to the 7Eleven. We picked up some soda waters next door and ate our picnic at the beach. Re does not appear to be feeling well. She seems a bit listless, and says she's feeling very achy, but she wanted to continue, so we hopped back on the Symbas and rode north.

Poking around on the southwest coast, we did find a couple of nice beaches, which I marked in my GPS for us to return to over the next couple of days. All day, the sky was a mix of black and blue, and we finally ran into the black in Patong. Patong is the epicenter of what is wrong with Phuket. You can literally see the next McDonald's from the front door of the first McDonald's. We were here because a friend of ours from our last trip was supposed to be renting an apartment for a year at the north end of Patong Beach. Bernie is a creature of habit, and his habit has been to be at a certain spot in the water after lunch. We didn't get a reply to our email, so we decided to try to catch him by chance. Unfortunately, as we entered the south end of Patong, the thunder started to roll, and it began to sprinkle. As we slowly made our way to the north end, the beach was clearing. By the time we reached Bernie's little spot, there was nobody on the sand. At about this time, the sky opened up and began dumping buckets of rain on us. This was our cue to end our tour and head back to Phuket Town. As we rode up the hill out of Patong, the road was crisscrossed by two inch deep puddles of water, and when we started descending back down the hill toward Phuket Town, we passed through several areas of equally deep standing water.

Back in the room, we changed out of our wet clothes and took a quick shower. Re had spied an honest to goodness laundromat a block away, so she took our dirty clothes down for a wash. When she got back, she wasn't looking or feeling very well, so she laid down for a nap while the clothes washed. Later, we walked out for dinner at the market. We did finally stop and buy some sunscreen since we are down to less than one tube. At the market, we looked at several seafood restaurants and ran into the worst case of “farang pricing” that we've seen so far. At one place, we picked up a menu, flipped it open, saw that it was in Thai, and that all the prices were all between 80 and 120 baht. The waiter quickly snatched the menu out of our hands and replaced it with one in English. Funnily enough, all the prices in this menu were 200 baht or more... We laughed and politely declined. A little further on, Re spied a familiar pile of yellow rice and baked chicken that is khao mok khai. Expecting to get the farang price treatment again, Re asked “How much?” The lady smiled and said 50 baht, which is about right, so we sat down to have two delicious plates of our favorite southern Thai Muslim meal. After dinner, Re still felt achy and was now feeling less well in general, so we called it an early night and headed back to the room.

55 miles in about 6 hours