Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
SAM7 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Which one to get? Shiver 750, MT09, Street TripleR, Monster 796, F800R or...

First a little about my motorcycling experience... My current bike is a Honda VFR750 and I've had quite a few motorcycles in the past. In chronical order: C90 Cub, YB100, CG125, GS500 w/ 33BHP restrictor, GS500 unrestricted, VFR750, WR125X.
So, the thing is; I'm thinking about replacing my ageing VFR since it has over 38,000 miles, a minor crack on the fairing as previous owner had dropped it once, it feels quite heavy sometimes as I live in a very congested area, its getting poor economy (<45mpg, not a major concern though), and since I'm not an American; I HATE its fairing! It doesn't look great either (doesn't seems to impress anyone) and lastly but most importantly... "I RECENTLY WON A LOTTERY!!!
Anyhow, I've chosen these bikes which costs roughly the same: Aprilia Shiver 750, Yamaha FZ9, Triumph Street Triple R, Ducati M796, BMW F800R or maybe an MV Agusta Brutale 675???
Does anyone here have experience with any of these bikes? I'm falling towards The Ducati cause I always wanted to buy an air cooled Ducati Monster and thing is; it'll soon be replaced by water cooled M821 and probably is the last breed of air cooled Ducatis so it'll become a collectors item in a decade or two and would be a great toy to pass to my grandson!
My least favorite is the Yamaha, obviously! I want something to pass up to my grand child someday and its a YAMAHA for crying out loud! Not that its a bad bike...
So which one would you pick if you were me? Keep in mind that it'll be my weekend runner... Not daily commuter... I've got a Yamaha WRX for that very reason.
Thanks for reading such a huge post!!!
SAM7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:01 PM   #2
combustor777
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Everyone will have their favorites out of this list of course. If it were me, the F800R and the Shiver are probably the most "congested area" friendly (wide bars, upright ergos). Seems like economy is a concern, and nothing will come close to the F800 on that front (60+ mpg commuting). You might get some less than pleasant vibration from the F800 parallel twin, seems to bother some more than others (definitely test ride them all if you can). I've always had a soft spot for MVs, but it and the Street Triple are going to have more of a sport/forward lean riding position, if that's your preference, probably closer to the VFR in that regard.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:36 PM   #3
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 1,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM7 View Post
I'm falling towards The Ducati cause I always wanted to buy an air cooled Ducati Monster
Best reason in the world.
Pick your favourite colour and ride.

Congrats on the windfall.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:15 PM   #4
McAninch35
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by MODNROD View Post
Pick your favourite colour and ride.
Agreed. If the Monster really pitches the 'ol pants tent, buy it and ride it like you stole it. When it comes down to it, those are all incredible machines-I don't think you can go wrong.
McAninch35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:28 PM   #5
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

Oddometer: 14,699
Ducati monster
Member #68,893
Above all stop pandering to posts from morons like Venteuri who can't even spell Venturi properly.
Venteuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:30 PM   #6
poster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
I absolutely love the triple cylinder engine on Triumph Speed Triple, but I am also grappling with the desire for that big Ducati Monster 1200 v-twin.
poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:53 PM   #7
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
what the hell is your grandson gonna want with an old tech, 25 year old, air cooled, Italian boat anchor? probably sell it first chance he got, and wonder why gramps would want to unload such a dated POS on him

get the Speed Triple and be happy now while not leaving a heap for your offspring later
Old 06-20-2014, 09:00 PM   #8
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,889
He is asking about the street not the speed triple.

I have no idea but get what you always wanted sounds good. Forget the grand kid,
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:07 PM   #9
Smithers167
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
KTM Duke? I've gone drunk the orange coolaid. However, I also don't think you can go wrong with any of those bikes. The only way to find out is test ride them all. Also, don't discount the Yamaha. Also look at fz/mt-07.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:22 PM   #10
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
He is asking about the street not the speed triple.
dammit!

ok then get the Street. or hey, you won the lotto, right OP? get ME the Street and you can have any damn moto you want without asking us bozo's about it
Old 06-21-2014, 07:23 AM   #11
univibe88
Slidell4Life

Oddometer: 1,889
won the lotto but concerned about fuel economy?

bike with 38k miles is aging and needs replacement, but you are figuring on passing on a bike to your grandkid 20+ years from now?

you dislike the fairing on your vfr b/c you're not american?

sounds like you want the duc for emotional reasons yet you are trying to come up with some sort of rationality for it. fuck it. just get the duc if that's what makes your panties moist.

"I like my ride plans like my women...loosely put together with a chance of getting wet."
univibe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:28 AM   #12
DesmoDog
Desmo's my dog

Oddometer: 594
^^^What he said

FWIW the 796 Monster will never be much of a "collectors item" as far as Ducatis go. Last aircooled twin? Trivial detail, no one will care. The 796 will never be the top of the food chain for air colled Ducati engines. No one will care about the last, they'll care about the "best". It will never be more desirable/valuable than one of the year or two older air cooled Monsters with more displacement. I've got a 796 Hypermotard right now, it's fun. It'll never be particularly valuable however.

Buy what makes you happy now. Bikes are an emotional choice, trying to rationalize it is just a game. It doesn't matter WHY you like it, if you like it, go with it. Some people have to rationalize their chocies. Fair enough, but those people should not own Ducatis. From a rational viewpoint there is always a better choice.

DesmoDog screwed with this post 06-21-2014 at 08:59 AM
DesmoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:35 AM   #13
SAM7 OP
Adventurer

My lottery is just 20,000 = $34,000. Secondly, I'll be expending (or wasting!) only half of it and will keep the rest for a rainy day...
Yes, I admit that I'm biased toward Ducati.
Well, Its an exotic brand for one. Two, Monsters look wicked cool in Blood Red with these 'retro futuristic' cues and no eye sores like... Ahem... RADIATOR up front (personal preference). Three, I love its throaty growl that screams EXOTIC! Four, its the last breed of air cooled Monsters, so might as well buy one new while I still have the chance.... Five, I can afford it! Six, I've a Ducati dealer just 4 miles away!
My second choice is Triumph Street Triple R but it looks a bit on the traditional side. May I dare say; a 21st century Bonneville...? It has little to stand apart in a crowd of Japanese street fighters.... Same can be said for... Um... Aprilia. BMW? Well, its parallel twin 360 degree crank motor seems a little on the bland side although I've never rode it... MT09? A fantastic affordable bike, but every other motorcyclist I know ride a Yamaha... Now what we have left? Ah... MV AGUSTA Brutale 675! Nice rare bike but I doubt that it'll last a decade... I seems a bit crude compared to Triumph.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #14
SAM7 OP
Adventurer

One might ask: Why you started a thread if you're dead set on a Ducati?
I'm NOT dead set on a Ducati. I'm just biased towards it. Ducati has its problems like expensive maintenance, insurance and poor reliability compared to Japanese Brands... Not to mention Desmo Valves which are a pain to work on according to my mechanic.
At this point, I've no idea which one to get......
Ah, another thing. The Ducati dealer which I mentioned in previous post also sells Moto Guzzi and he currently has a used Griso 1200 4v in mint condition on display with pretty low miles (only 2,600)... He's willing to sell it at roughly the same price as an M796. Anyone has any experience with it. It does look STUNNING though and is physically bigger then Monster too. I sat on it and it fit me like a glove! I'm 6'2 @ 185lbs BTW with 33" inseam...
Old 06-22-2014, 08:26 PM   #15
Bama67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
It's a shame you don't feel the Yammy more, as I feel it is the best bike of the group.

I had one, loved it, sold it because I needed to free up some cash. Kept the Griso, if that tells you anything.

Good luck, cool group of bikes to choose from.
Bama67 is offline   Reply With Quote