User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 07:40 AM   #1
beeper OP
Badger tickler

Oddometer: 780
Cbr900rr ?

Anyone here have any experience with these bikes? I have the opportunity to pick up a '93 model for a decent price.
It has fairly low mileage (under 15k) but the owner says it will need a new stator and rotor. I've always been interested in these and the early dual round headlight models look kinda cool IMO.
beeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:47 AM   #2
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,263
Cool bike, 16 front wheel stock.
Hondas entry into the liter bike Ina 600cc chassis.

Most of them by now are worn out unless you find a lightly used snow belt bike.
Plastics are going to be very very hard to replace and the stock ones will be very brittle by now.

Look for a stock bike that wasn't messed with.

Handling is antique by today standards but they are still a fun bike.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
ramon
weezin' the juice!

Oddometer: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
Cool bike, 16 front wheel stock.
Hondas entry into the liter bike Ina 600cc chassis.

Most of them by now are worn out unless you find a lightly used snow belt bike.
Plastics are going to be very very hard to replace and the stock ones will be very brittle by now.

Look for a stock bike that wasn't messed with.

Handling is antique by today standards but they are still a fun bike.
+1!

That was THE bike to have, back in the early 90's. A 900cc bike that weighed a few pounds more than a 600cc, what was not to love!
Old 03-31-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
Skowinski
Deuterostome

Oddometer: 5,791
I had one for many years. Put about 50k miles on it and only had to adjust one valve in that time. The water pump went out some time during that 50k, but otherwise absolutely no issues at all. Heli bars and a Sargent seat and it was comfortable (for me...). I sold it so an inmate, and was sad to see it leave my garage for the last time. It was a great bike, and never failed to put a smile on my face when I rode it.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
jasonc32amg
Hello Gubner

Oddometer: 135
They are epic fun. If it's a clean unmolested sample scoop it up. If you don't like it you'll have no issue selling it.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
I sold one about 2 years ago. In disagreement with an above poster, fairings and bodywork are available. The 16 in front wheel turns in pretty quick, but it worked OK. For an 18 year old bike, the handling was pretty decent. What it lost in late model trickness, it made up for in light weight and a screaming strong little engine. At track days, the only thing slowing that bike down was me.

I sold mine to my brother, and he sold it in 2010, the valves had never moved, it was still on the original battery. At 60,000 miles, trouble free. Even the original rectifier/regulator has never given me any issues (a common problem, except mine never did).
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:37 PM   #7
wrecked'em
satisfied enzyte user

Oddometer: 447
had a 929 it was awesome. hurricane Katrina took it.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:15 PM   #8
Skowinski
Deuterostome

Oddometer: 5,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
...The 16 in front wheel turns in pretty quick, but it worked OK. For an 18 year old bike, the handling was pretty decent.....
From memory, replacing the stock triple clamps with the Ontario Moto Tech clamps (not sure if these are still around), which had a different offset, totally changed the feel of the front end, for the better. I did this modification on mine early on and was really amazed at the transformation.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:27 PM   #9
Cafe Racer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Old thread....but I just got a 1993 CBR900RR for almost nothing. Literally!

So, what kind of vintage CBR-RR can someone be lucky enough to acquire? Well, let me tell you? I was lucky. Very lucky.

I am the third owner of this amazing piece of history. The bike is almost all original except for the front turn signals, rear fender delete, and anodized wind screen bolts. Other than that... original! No crashes. No drops on the driveway. .

The plastics? Old school quality. Not brittle. Not faded. Bike has been kept indoors. The speedo looks great and the numbers and colors have not faded away.

When I got the bike, I pretty much drove all night to pick it up. It was definitely a last minute thing. And you know how late night decisions sometimes bite you in the azz when the sun rises and you wake up in the morning.

If you have been there you know what I mean. Meet some gal at last call... wake up in some strange place... "oh hi, I gotta go"

Well, I woke up in some rest area along the highway. Not really knowing what was in store when I walked to the back of my SUV. But fortunately she was hawt!

As great as this bike looks, I'm going to play with it and modify it. Similar to what I did to my 1990 FZR400.

More to follow on a new thread.
Attached Images

Calspeed Moto Studio SF
http://www.calspeed.com

Cafe Racer screwed with this post 02-23-2015 at 10:36 PM
Cafe Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:41 PM   #10
Cafe Racer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
fyi... this is my FZR400. Now known as my FZR-R4

Im hoping that my CBR900RR will have a striking personality too.
Attached Images

Calspeed Moto Studio SF
http://www.calspeed.com
Cafe Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:08 AM   #11
sperz1
UnStudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Excellent score Cafe!

2015 Harley-Davidson FLTRX
1998 Suzuki DR350se
sperz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:49 AM   #12
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,691
I keep thinking to myself that I want an S1000XR. Then I think to myself that I should just keep my R1100S and look for a Honda 9 series. I'll be able to do everything the S1000 can do, and I'll be $15,000 ahead. Make sense?

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:07 AM   #13
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
I keep thinking to myself that I want an S1000XR. Then I think to myself that I should just keep my R1100S and look for a Honda 9 series. I'll be able to do everything the S1000 can do, and I'll be $15,000 ahead. Make sense?
The real difference with the new stuff is the electronics. Really a quantum leap with traction control and power settings..don't undervalue it in picking a new ride.
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:37 AM   #14
south
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Big fan of the 900rr--especially the 93-94 twin headlight bikes. As clean as that thing looks--my favorite color scheme, too--and is described, I personally would be reluctant to (heavily) mod it; plenty of less original/rougher others out there to have fun modding. But, absolutely: your bike, your call.

For quite a while, I'd been casually looking for a 900rr or air/oil -cooled GSXR as a candidate for an old-school endurance-racer/repli-racer themed bike. The vintage appeal of the big Suzuki won out in the end--"air" cooled, vertical cylinder (monster) motor, early perimeter, non- twin spar frame, etc.-- and I found my cosmetically rough and generally neglected '92 GSXR1100, but I'd still be hard pressed to pass up a good deal on a clean 900rr. Congrats...

...and just maybe give a second thought before carving it up too much.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:10 PM   #15
Mondo Endo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
The real difference with the new stuff is the electronics. Really a quantum leap with traction control and power settings..don't undervalue it in picking a new ride.
Yes but electronics are only part of the changes, the big difference is the size of the bike and horsepower. I bought a new CBR900rr in 98 and compared to any new sportbike its ergos are more like a sport tourer than sportbike, also its 115 hp is more like a current 600. Today 200hp seems to be the number to hit if you want a competitive open class bike, so while buying an old bike will save big money you not be getting anything even close performance wise.
Mondo Endo is offline   Reply With Quote