User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
choppahead OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Get Back Whips???

So I've been lurking over at the HD Forums (not a member) because I get a chuckle reading some of the "who's a bada$$ biker threads".

I'll admit I'm a little out of touch on a lot of the latest fads and trends. I just read about an item that I'd never heard of or encountered in almost 40 years of playing around with motorcycles. The "get back whip"....

A google search brings up pix of these things and companies that sell them.

I just have to say I've never seen a motorcycle accessory that is more f'n ridiculous in my life. Just for the record, I personally like apehangers and a few other things some serious riders would think are also f'n stupid.

Aside from any "you're an idiot if you have/don't have" one of these things on your bike, arguments, anyone with any experience around machinery or power tools of any kind should know enough to tuck in any loose objects. I've worked in plants that won't even let you wear jewelry.

I think, for me at least, the whole 'Biker Idiom' has finally jumped the shark....
choppahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
Weldman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,398
I wanna chrome one

all sparkley-like.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
Old Blue
Shallow waterman

Oddometer: 1,499
One of the silliest things I've ever seen/heard of on a bike. For fun, I asked a sales guy at the HD dealership about them. He acted like they were the best traffic control tool since the brake light!
Old Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
ThunderLizard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
My MSF beginners class instructor had one on his giant hog. The first night of class, he walked us around his Harley and I asked "what is that thing?". He said a "get-back whip" for crackin' windshields when cagers piss you off.... a pocket full of ball bearings will work too.

Nice message for beginner riders.
ThunderLizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,354
Never even heard of 'em before. Google to the rescue of course.

This site had this to say about them:

Quote:
Today the whips are used for aesthetic reasons only but like most things they have a history of their own. “Back in the day, these leather whips were usually made with the 1% bike club colors, besides showing off their club colors the whips could be quickly released and used "in case of emergency" to swing at anything that was causing a threat to the biker, hence the name "Get Back Whip".
The ones they sell have a quick release snap where they connect to the bike, so the danger is probably mitigated to a great degree.

But still... I don't get a LOT of the Harley crap, even though I do own one.

BUT, with that said, I will have to admit to a time or two that they might have came in handy. I've been chased by dogs on a couple of occasions. Once when I was in a situation that I couldn't speed up and wished I had something to pop him a good one with. Another was a dog on my usual ride route that tried to ambush me every time I went by. He was aggressive and appeared to be trying to bite my legs. I always outran him but my main fear was that he would run in front of me and cause a crash. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs, but sometimes they do need a little help breaking a bad habit.

Different strokes for different folks and all that though.

I'm quite sure that some people think my brown leather seat is the dumbest thing they ever saw, and still other undoubtedly think my GS is hideously ugly. But, I didn't want either one of those things for "them" did I?
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy

Randy screwed with this post 06-06-2013 at 05:04 PM
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #6
Weldman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,398
I'm thinking about a get-back machete

for my Sportster. Just to be different ...
Old 06-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #7
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,823
To be fair, they tried bear spray.

It didn't go well.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,338
Those guys are so far from being "bikers" it's not funny............................never mind yes it is.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,331
The first time I saw a "get back whip" was on a big group ride our antique bike club used to put on. There were 4 guys on H-Ds each with one of these long things of braided leather dangling from a handlebar. It seemed like a bad idea to me to have something like that on your bike, and I couldn't figure out what they were for. So I asked them. Turned out they didn't have any idea either. They were all rubbies in costume, and none of them knew what it was for. They'd all just seen them in the accessory shop and thought they looked cool.

It took me 3 or 4 rides over as many months, each time asking people who ahd them what they were, before I found a scraggly old-school actual biker who had one and explained it to me. I still thought it sounded like a less-than-great idea, but at least that guy had a purpose for it, and it wasn't just another thing to buy and hang on the bike as decoration.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (236,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #10
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
At least you didn't get, " You wouldn't understand." which was the response I got one time when I asked a pirate what his tassles were for.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:21 AM   #11
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
This has come up in a number of the geezer biker forums, with none of the old riders actually remembering "get back whips" from back in the day. Fringes, yes. But not these super long things, and not anything called a "get back whip" that was used against cars that crowded you.

So I'd say it's a modern urban legend about "the good ole days" that has nothing to do with reality.
foxtrapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:43 AM   #12
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,338
You won't see that shit on bikes owned by these guys.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #13
rockmurf
IBA #31100

Oddometer: 324
It sounds like a great idea for a bicycle to keep the dogs back etc.
rockmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #14
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,981
Motorcycle whips are awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGNoDDjdmAk
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:45 AM   #15
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
At least you didn't get, " You wouldn't understand." which was the response I got one time when I asked a pirate what his tassles were for.
I don't mind getting "you wouldn't understand", because when someone says that, they are usually entirely accurate. If given a full explanation, my reaction is most likely going to be "that makes no sense. I don't understand why anyone would do that".

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (236,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote