ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #151
40MileDesertRat
Born Again Pagan
 
40MileDesertRat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: 67km east of la república socialista de Kalifornia
Oddometer: 1,434
20X Evolution And Still In The Dirt

__________________
The Ice Age Made Me The Man That I Am Today


40MileDesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #152
CajunRider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Oddometer: 245
That is an awesome picture!!!
CajunRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #153
STinner
any direction will do
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Great Lakes Region
Oddometer: 57
I'm almost 58 and a week ago bought a 2007 wing with 13.5K on the clock. the first thing i noticed was the sharp decline in mpg from what i'm used to with my ST1300. 40-48 to 30-35 is this standard with the newer wings in mileage? the traxxion suspension upgrade sounds well needed with every little bump in the road feels like a speed bump, too. the ST suspension felt the same way when i bought it new back in '04 but it has subsided a little over the last years. i was going to put a racetech suspension change on the ST but figured since I should slow down a little the upgrade was an expense not needed. has anybody done the traxxion upgrade and if so how does your wing handle now?
such a great forum! keep it up!
STinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #154
DirtRider....
Gnarly Adventurer
 
DirtRider....'s Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Southern California
Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by STinner View Post
the sharp decline in mpg from what i'm used to with my ST1300. 40-48 to 30-35

Besides the cash needed to grab one... the mileage decrease is my biggest drawback concern... might as well buy a small convertible car at that mileage.
DirtRider.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #155
richarddacat
daylight rider
 
richarddacat's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Mid-TN
Oddometer: 2,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRider.... View Post
Besides the cash needed to grab one... the mileage decrease is my biggest drawback concern... might as well buy a small convertible car at that mileage.
I like the bike but the other day i saw a Honda Fit and a new GL were parked next to each other. Size wise they weren't much different .
Since I don't care for a convertible, this little car was giving me second thoughts about the expenditure for the Cadillac of bikes. Especially since I'm a solo rider.

MPG's are about the same between the two.

All in what you want, 3 wheeled GL's makes no sense to me but they seem to be popular around here.
__________________
* 05FJR/74R90s *
Middle Tennessee Tag Riders
Never run out of traction, real estate, and ideas at the same time.
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks it head out the window.
richarddacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:26 AM   #156
STinner
any direction will do
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Great Lakes Region
Oddometer: 57
its still the most stable mount i've ever ridden. i'm keepin it even though of the cons.
my ST seems like a minibike now!
STinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:23 AM   #157
100mpg
This sentance intent
 
100mpg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: ionally finished in this space.
Oddometer: 16,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by STinner View Post
I'm almost 58 and a week ago bought a 2007 wing with 13.5K on the clock. the first thing i noticed was the sharp decline in mpg from what i'm used to with my ST1300. 40-48 to 30-35 is this standard with the newer wings in mileage? the traxxion suspension upgrade sounds well needed with every little bump in the road feels like a speed bump, too. the ST suspension felt the same way when i bought it new back in '04 but it has subsided a little over the last years. i was going to put a racetech suspension change on the ST but figured since I should slow down a little the upgrade was an expense not needed. has anybody done the traxxion upgrade and if so how does your wing handle now?
such a great forum! keep it up!
Once you change your riding habits from the ST1300, the mpgs will be around 40. I made the same change, '05 ST1300 to a '09 GW. I miss the ST but would not give up my GW for anything.

I get about 35 towing my little trailer loaded with camping gear!
__________________
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #158
VaderSS
Canyon Carving Goldwing
 
VaderSS's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Cordelia, CA
Oddometer: 186
Keep in mind that, with the stock 60 series rear tire, the speedo and odometer, through the 2008 models, read about 7% higher than actual.

I run 70 series rear tires as it makes the handling snappier. It has the side-effect of correcting the speedometer and odometer.

I average 35 mpg true on my 2008 GL1800. That's 1 mpg better than the 2001 GL1800 did.

The GL1800 is still the most practical and versatile motorcycle I've ever ridden. It never ceases to amaze me, what Honda achieved with it. It weighs 900 lbs, has a barn-door fairing, and 150 liters of storage, but still has a sporting feel to it that allows one to have a blast on a tight twisty road.
VaderSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:51 AM   #159
mrfallover
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Western Colorado
Oddometer: 226
I owned a 2002 Goldwing and missed the moment I sold it. Just bought a 08 and could not be happier. It is the only street bike that I will ride, I'm not even 50 and have decided I like to be comfortable all day. I have owned and /or ridden so many bikes in the past and the Wing just works for me. The bikes handles very well, I liken it to a sport sedan, plenty of wind protection, very quiet, lots of storage and the riding position is upright for comfort great rider visibility.
Love it.
__________________
What can possible go wrong?
mrfallover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #160
40MileDesertRat
Born Again Pagan
 
40MileDesertRat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: 67km east of la república socialista de Kalifornia
Oddometer: 1,434
An Ode To The GL-1800

In my opinion the wing-thing is wrong on so many counts that I would suggest that the only two possible reasons to buy one are, 1) to make your wife happy, or 2) you just have to have one, to add to your bike collection.

Ignoring reason two, the wing-thing is the uncontested and world beating "wife's" bike. This reason for this is simple and it comes down to a simple matter of passenger real estate. Because the bike is obscenely long, the wing-thing has the largest and most comfortable passenger area in the known universe. Unless your wife, or significant other weighs over 500 pounds, there is no motorcycle on the market that provides more personal space than the wing-thing. In fact, the rear seat, combined with the U.S.S Enterprise sized foot boards damn near provides enough space to add a third passenger.

Enough said on the positives, so what are the wing-thing's deficiencies you might ask? Please let me elaborate.

1. The wing-thing is the ultimate touring bike wannabe. That is, if you only ride the Interstates. The bike is so low and the suspension is so primitive that if you ride any road has a texture rougher than a baby's ass, you are going to eventually kill the bike, or the rider.

2. On the zero ground clearance point, the Honda engineers have designed a bike that exposes critical components to trip-ending road damage. The oil filter, control cables and the coolant tank are vulnerable to every bump and random flying rock on the road. Ride one of these long enough and you are damn near guaranteed to destroy one, or all of these components.

3. On the oil-filter, it is non-existant! The 1,832 cc engine has the smallest oil filter that I have ever seen. I spent a great deal of time speculating on why the Honda engineer’s put a chainsaw sized oil filter and positioned it like the ram on a Greek trireme. I finally came to the conclusion that after they placed it in a position that just screams, “hit me, hurt me,” they were going to present the smallest target area that was engineeringly possible.

4. Lighting is critical and any rider that has been in fog, snow, or herds of deer, knows the value of additional lighting. Although wing-thing has good headlights, the Honda engineer's provided an optional lighting placement position that is in the beaten-zone for road debris. I use the Electrical Connection driving lights and I will be placing orders for replacement lights by the gross.

5. Plastic, plastic and more plastic. All joined by more plastic, that is in turn connected to more plastic. I am not against plastic, but come on guys, you need the see the thickness and fastening mechanism for the wing-thing side and top cases. I hold my breath every time I open and close the damn things. Oh, I almost forgot, check out the dental floss sized safety wire that is attached to the doors and the high quality hinges.

6. That bring us to luggage space. Wow, I must have missed it somewhere. At first look, you would think that the wing has some serious luggage space. You would be wrong, and this is why. It's all an illusion. The wing has the most unusable case space that I have ever seen. Basically Honda uses the cases to hide mission critical components like media-players, intercom systems and navigation systems. If you look inside those cases, or worse yet try to pack those cases, you will discover that strapping 50, one dozen egg cartons to the bike would provide less convoluted and more usable space than the Honda cases do.

7. Just like every other manufacture, selling a wing-things is all about the up-sell. One of the pricier up-sell items on the wing-thing is the navigation system. Now, I believe that this is a necessary price of equipment on a touring bike, but how about making one that is actually usable. Other than the definitely self serving attribute of showing the exact location of every Honda dealer, the thing is a pain in the ass. Honda and Garmin designed the thing so that you can not turn it on while riding the bike. A little thing you may think, but to use the GPS, you need to let the entire 'welcome to your GL-1800' screen system boot for a day and a half before you can turn the GPS on. What this means that every time you stop to get a tank of gas, or take a piss, or take a picture, you have to let the system boot and then enter the secret combination of buttons and keystrokes to use the damn GPS. I think that someone decided that this was the safe way to go. But what about the stops that people need to make alongside congested roads, when they discover that they didn't turn on the GPS. Come on Honda and Garmin, turning the GPS on, while riding, should be a one button process that you can do anytime you want.

8. Another bitch with the GPS is the lack of usable data on the display. With the exception of always showing the exact location of Honda dealers, it seems to me that the display has two modes, 1) the universe mode, and 2) the micro, high detail mode. What I mean by this is that you get two viewing options on the display, you can see roads or, you can see restaurants. The GPS will not even display the name of a mid-sized city unless it's in the micro mode.

9. I keep my GPS in the micro-mode just to know the location of gas stations. Gas mileage does suck on a wing-thing. While it is possible to get over 40 miles-per-gallon, you better not have a headwind, or exceed 2,875.4 rpm's. I guess all of that weight has something to do with it, but a 6th gear, combined with that 1,832 cc's and over 100 horses wouldn't hurt the gas consumption a bit.

10. In some respects the lack of gas mileage is an advantage. You just have to get off this bike every 212.431 miles. Combined with the fact that the bike is completely nonadjustable for driver comfort, you've got no power ports for things like heated vests. What were they thinking?

11. Did I mention that the bike is impossible to wrench? I've installed some aftermarket stuff on my wing and I think that I'd rather do brain surgery. Don't believe me, ask someone how to change a tire on a wing.

I could go on, but I won't. I've vented and at the end of the day, I would rather ride the wing than nothing. If you have found this interesting, all I ask is that you don't quote me. Or, that you don't post any comments on Facebook, Fox News or any other place that my wife may see. That could be the end of me.
__________________
The Ice Age Made Me The Man That I Am Today



40MileDesertRat screwed with this post 06-19-2012 at 12:30 PM
40MileDesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #161
VaderSS
Canyon Carving Goldwing
 
VaderSS's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Cordelia, CA
Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40MileDesertRat View Post
11. Did I mention that the bike is impossible to wrench? I've installed some aftermarket stuff on my wing and I think that I'd rather do brain surgery. Don't believe me, ask someone how to change a tire on a wing.

I could go on, but I won't. I've vented and at the end of the day, I would rather ride the wing than nothing. If you have found this interesting, all I ask is that you don't quote me. Or, that you don't post any comments on Facebook, Fox News or any other place that my wife may see. That could be the end of me.
LOL,

It's true, I sold a Councours 1000 to get my first Wing, for my girlfriend. I probably would not have ridden "the old man's bike" before I turned 60, if not for the fact that she was uncomfortable on anything but a Wing, and I made the mistake of renting one for a trip from San Francisco to Big Sur. Oopsie... I found the Wing to be nicer in every way, for myself, and used her as the justification for getting one. I was only 37, but owned one a few months later.

My biggest complaint about the Wing, is the air filter replacement, which must be seen to be believed...

As for changing a tire, I can change the rear wheel in 10 minutes. The secret is to flop the Wing over on it's side. Honda designed the Wing to fall over without damage. Might as well use that design feature...

One nice thing is that, due to the huge popularity of trike conversions, rear wheels can be had for a song. Fronts are pricier, but I have a spare front as well. I drop the wheels off at the shop, have the tires changed, and then have them ready to go for whenever they are needed.
VaderSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #162
STinner
any direction will do
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Great Lakes Region
Oddometer: 57
Now thats a technique i have never imagined! i have only put on 250 miles since last friday. the only bad thing is that the wing dont like tar snakes!



As for changing a tire, I can change the rear wheel in 10 minutes. The secret is to flop the Wing over on it's side. Honda designed the Wing to fall over without damage. Might as well use that design feature...


by the way i ride single the women i know dont offer no gas support. its like they're just there for the ride
STinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #163
40MileDesertRat
Born Again Pagan
 
40MileDesertRat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: 67km east of la república socialista de Kalifornia
Oddometer: 1,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderSS View Post
LOL,

It's true, I sold a Councours 1000 to get my first Wing, for my girlfriend. I probably would not have ridden "the old man's bike" before I turned 60, if not for the fact that she was uncomfortable on anything but a Wing, and I made the mistake of renting one for a trip from San Francisco to Big Sur. Oopsie... I found the Wing to be nicer in every way, for myself, and used her as the justification for getting one. I was only 37, but owned one a few months later.

My biggest complaint about the Wing, is the air filter replacement, which must be seen to be believed...

As for changing a tire, I can change the rear wheel in 10 minutes. The secret is to flop the Wing over on it's side. Honda designed the Wing to fall over without damage. Might as well use that design feature...

One nice thing is that, due to the huge popularity of trike conversions, rear wheels can be had for a song. Fronts are pricier, but I have a spare front as well. I drop the wheels off at the shop, have the tires changed, and then have them ready to go for whenever they are needed.
I haven't done the air filter yet. But I have read the book and watched all of the videos on the procedure. Also, I am now at 11,300 miles on the bike and it is going down on its side, like a horse with a case of colic, in the next couple of weeks for a tire change. I just can't wait to get started....on that little job.

Really though, I have ridden some absolute junk and the, or more correctly "my" Goldwing, is not in that class. The thing is solid, the engine purrs and I'm looking forward to getting a quarter of a million miles out of it, before I adjust the valves. The issues that I pointed out are all legitimate, but I can find fault with damn near anything. Except of course, my wife. So I am sure that you took my treatise in the way it was intended, strictly tongue-in-cheek.

One more thing. Just got back from a 3,300 mile trip. Two up and with a ton of make-up and other female stuff in the cases. Never a day under 40 miles-per-gallon and very seldom at less than 75 miles-per-hour.
__________________
The Ice Age Made Me The Man That I Am Today



40MileDesertRat screwed with this post 06-19-2012 at 02:52 PM
40MileDesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #164
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer
 
mrbreeze's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: God's Country
Oddometer: 7,016
well 40miles, your experience is not too much different than mine, only my wing was a GL1500 - no valve adjustments. It was a pita to do any kind of maintenance on, though. I got so sick of all the plastic. In fact I only put 11,000 miles on it during the two years I owned it. It was boring to ride, so it sat a lot. A friend of mine sold his 1500 and bought the 1800, and was disappointed when he got it home and realized his helmet would not fit in the trunk.

I grew to hate the intercom. The wife talked non stop, and if she wasn't with me on a GWRRA ride, everyone else talked non stop. I just wanted to jam to "Born to be Wild", and yes I can see the tiny pile of gravel on the side of the road, thank you very much. I used the CB on a couple of solo road trips, thinking the truckers would help me avoid Dudley Doright. Instead it was like listening to the bathroom walls in a third rate honky tonk.

It was a wife bike. Then one day she said she was pregnant. I sold the 'wing and paid cash for a used VT1100 Shadow, because "we needed the money".
__________________
2006 Honda VTX1300R

Walk with the wise and become wise,
for a companion of fools suffers harm. Proverbs 13:20
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #165
40MileDesertRat
Born Again Pagan
 
40MileDesertRat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: 67km east of la república socialista de Kalifornia
Oddometer: 1,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
well 40miles, your experience is not too much different than mine, only my wing was a GL1500 - no valve adjustments. It was a pita to do any kind of maintenance on, though. I got so sick of all the plastic. In fact I only put 11,000 miles on it during the two years I owned it. It was boring to ride, so it sat a lot. A friend of mine sold his 1500 and bought the 1800, and was disappointed when he got it home and realized his helmet would not fit in the trunk.

I grew to hate the intercom. The wife talked non stop, and if she wasn't with me on a GWRRA ride, everyone else talked non stop. I just wanted to jam to "Born to be Wild", and yes I can see the tiny pile of gravel on the side of the road, thank you very much. I used the CB on a couple of solo road trips, thinking the truckers would help me avoid Dudley Doright. Instead it was like listening to the bathroom walls in a third rate honky tonk.

It was a wife bike. Then one day she said she was pregnant. I sold the 'wing and paid cash for a used VT1100 Shadow, because "we needed the money".
Just between us, I disconnected the mic in my wife's helmet. I can talk to her, but she can't talk to me. Ditto on all of the rest, except that I do ride it quite a bit. It's not an LT and it not a GS, but it does get down the road.

I'm not sure about this, but I think that all of the Harley's left town when I hit Sturgis last month.



Possibly they couldn't stand the embarrassment. Or maybe it was the sub-seventy degree, with a slight chance of rain weather.
__________________
The Ice Age Made Me The Man That I Am Today



40MileDesertRat screwed with this post 06-19-2012 at 03:55 PM
40MileDesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014