User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #166
VaderSS
Canyon Carving Goldwing

Oddometer: 186
Just got on the Wing last night after 1000 miles on my new to me 2007 F650GSA

It is amazing just how different two bikes can be, while still being very enjoyable, and having a lot of overlap in capabilities. Having two such different bikes really highlights the differences, and the strengths in each. It made things apprent that have become muscle memory to me, taken without a thought.

The first thing that struck me was how much more attention I had to pay to keeping the Wing vertical while stopped and walking it back, and how much more push it took to roll it back out of the garage. At the same time, I felt the huge seat cradleing me.

The next was how, the moment it started moving, it lost all the sensation of weight, so that there is a distinct shift from stopped to moving, where the F650 is light both stopped and moving.

The next was how easy it is to tip it into a turn, but how stable it is both upright, and in a turn. "Steam roller" is a good analogy to how it feels for stability, but once you put a movement into the bars, it heals over like it is on ball-bearings with even less effort than the F650 on the bars, and is oh so stable, even when the pegs are dragging.

I then noticed how much stiffer the ride is, not because of it naturally being stiffer, but because it only has a few inches before bottoming.

Then there is the engine, dead smooth, which will pull 3rd gear from idle, and top gear from 1000 RPM, with most of it's torque appearing at 2,000 RPM, and a little extra power kicking in at about about 4k.

And then the wind, which is very apparent with the F650, where the Wing directs it around you, letting it puff at you, but shielding you from the majority of it. I have a Windbender windshield wich is even better than stock in this regard.

Biggest thing that occured was that the ride made me realize that I need to change the fork springs and put a Traxxion shock in, then dial in the sag to sport-bike numbers, in order to be happy with it again, lol. That is how my 2001 was, where the '08 is still stock.
VaderSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #167
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,237
Interesting comparison.

Being raised mostly on sport bikes the first thing I would do to my Wing would be to add the http://www.mblinnovations.com/customgw.html sport kit. The next stop would be at Traxxion.

Then I'd look for more ways to reduce weight and unwanted nuisances like an intercom system.

I could live with the mpg's and do the same as you, have a light weight DP to piddle on.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:22 AM   #168
LCGarage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
40mileDesertRat,
Your "Ode to the GL1800" is superb! It's well thought out, funny and honest....Thanks.

I am looking for a "Wing-Thing" and serious enough to rent one a couple weeks ago (10' GL1800)..

It was a lot of fun and the wife factor sealed the deal....but I was glad to get it back, didn't miss it as much as I thought I was going too...even on the highway home ride, and this was on my EX250. Actually for the riding I do commuting/ errands I still haven't found anything better than the EX250. But two up, never. Long joy ride, not now.

The roads are pretty bumpy around here and GL1800 was giggling and hitting them hard. I though the NAV (gps) was broken, would use my portable...but enjoyed watching the streets.
Two tank fill I pulled off 45mpg, ~3hr highway the rest was ~45mph rural (43, then 47 400mi total). I thought that was very good mpg.
Loved (needed) the reverse and radio (control with left hand)....and the horn!
Oh and no electric windshield, that's weird (loved the elec shield on C14 test ride, that bike left a good impression).

So I liked the thing, going to get one...but it also made me appreciate my bike even more and that's cool too.

Here it is:

LCGarage screwed with this post 06-22-2012 at 02:40 AM
LCGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #169
VaderSS
Canyon Carving Goldwing

Oddometer: 186
Only time I've gotten fuel economy over 40 is in the mountains. By comparison, My F650GS got 76 MPG in the mountains, where it usually does around 65.

My best was 46, in Yellowstone. Worst was 27. I had a LOT of fun getting 27 mpg...

Windbender has an electric windshield for the Wing. I find I don't need the electric option though, as I can move the stock one up and down at will while moving. Just pop the latches, push it forward if at speed, and move it.

I use my trunk WAY to much to pul it off if it takes 90 minutes to put back on, and $800 is close to a Traxxion fork, lol. 1.2kg/mm fork springs up front with a 1200Lb/in spring in back and a Traxxion shock gets it there for me. I already have Galfer Wave rotors and Traxxion brake pads. I've ridden a full-monty Traxxion bike, and it was sweet, but not sweet enough for me to part with the money for the fork upgrade. Maybe someday, but I keep blowing the money on other toys...

VaderSS screwed with this post 06-21-2012 at 02:12 PM
VaderSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #170
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,906

It looks like you went to sturgis at the best time of the year....When it is EMPTY! Thats the only time I plan on going for my first time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40MileDesertRat View Post
I'm not sure about this, but I think that all of the Harley's left town when I hit Sturgis last month.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #171
kwthom
nOOb Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderSS View Post
<...> I've ridden a full-monty Traxxion bike, and it was sweet, but not sweet enough for me to part with the money for the fork upgrade. Maybe someday, but I keep blowing the money on other toys...
Dunno if you play in that geriatric sandbox called gl1800riders . com, but there's a guy that's developed a fairly inexpensive upgrade when you're ready to try to fix that.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #172
Trans4ormer
B to V 1983

Oddometer: 54
Like the man says..."the best you have ridden is the best you know." The "full monty" is nothing compared to the 'Mega Monty"...buy/install the Traxx-Rite triple trees.
Trans4ormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #173
luckychucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,091
Goldwing in the Heartland

I've posted this pic on bike at a bridge, but not Goldwing specific yet, so let me try this.
From Goldwing on Hardgrove Bridge
My friend bought this bike, then stripped it, not sure if he is still cruising it. I thought the 82 was under-powered on take off. Sound like a can of marbles taking off. But rode nice.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:40 PM   #174
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,906
pretty close to the max with the wing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckychucky View Post
I've posted this pic on bike at a bridge, but not Goldwing specific yet, so let me try this.
From Goldwing on Hardgrove Bridge
My friend bought this bike, then stripped it, not sure if he is still cruising it. I thought the 82 was under-powered on take off. Sound like a can of marbles taking off. But rode nice.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #175
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwthom View Post
Dunno if you play in that geriatric sandbox called gl1800riders . com, but there's a guy that's developed a fairly inexpensive upgrade when you're ready to try to fix that.
you mean Rocky's triple reinforcement? I've had eyes on the product in the garage, and it's bomber. I know first hand it gets done right, it's not a cheap alternative, just inexpensive.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #176
kwthom
nOOb Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
you mean Rocky's triple reinforcement? I've had eyes on the product in the garage, and it's bomber. I know first hand it gets done right, it's not a cheap alternative, just inexpensive.
Yep...had a ride on his bike last weekend...impressive!

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 10-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #177
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwthom View Post
Yep...had a ride on his bike last weekend...impressive!

Sent from my Nexus 7
he comes over to a shared garage. I know him through another guy. I haven't ridden with him yet though, but I want to. Sounds like a hoot.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:07 PM   #178
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,526
'84 1200 with about 60k on the clock

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:33 PM   #179
jub jub
frumiousbandersnatch

Oddometer: 13,049
I'm thinking seriously of getting a Gold Wing now after contemplating a Yamaha Super Tenere. My wife broke her back in an accident and needs a comfortable perch when she rides now.

The 13 model I'm wanting comes close to 30k equipped with an air bag. That's more than I paid for my loaded Honda Accord!

Looks like a comfortable bike though, especially for serious long distance touring.
jub jub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #180
jspringator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
The airbag is priceless. I wear a Cashbounce hitair airbag vest that would be better in some situations, but not nearly as good in a head on crash. Enjoy.

2000 ST1100 ABS
jspringator is offline   Reply With Quote