Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2011, 12:58 PM   #76
BigChris99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
I've had two Wings, a 1986 1200 Aspencade, and the 1991 1500 Aspencade that I've had for years. I've done so much to my 1500 over the years, it is perfectly set up for me. It is a mile eater of a bike. Comfortable, fast enough for me and reliable as a stone. I don't believe I will ever sell this bike. I really like the 1500 version of the Goldwing. I have all the room to streach out, and it has great weather protection too. I like Hondas flat six so much, that when I found a 1997 standard Valkyrie two years ago, I bought it. A Goldwing on steriods. Both of those go well with my KLR too. Got all the bases covered. Touring, Hotrod cruiser, Dual Sport. Life is good.

Goldwing
Valkyrie
KLR

IBA#7849

1997 Honda Valkyrie, 1998 Kawasaki KLR 650
BigChris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:14 PM   #77
moist
Thaumaturgist

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChris99 View Post
I've had two Wings, a 1986 1200 Aspencade, and the 1991 1500 Aspencade that I've had for years. I've done so much to my 1500 over the years, it is perfectly set up for me. It is a mile eater of a bike. Comfortable, fast enough for me and reliable as a stone. I don't believe I will ever sell this bike. I really like the 1500 version of the Goldwing. I have all the room to streach out, and it has great weather protection too. I like Hondas flat six so much, that when I found a 1997 standard Valkyrie two years ago, I bought it. A Goldwing on steriods. Both of those go well with my KLR too. Got all the bases covered. Touring, Hotrod cruiser, Dual Sport. Life is good.

Goldwing
Valkyrie
KLR
Awesome stable selection in my opinion.

I have a 99' Valk an 02' BMW GS and a 87' KX500 gotta love a good selection. But I want a goldwing. 15 or 18, will be fine.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:37 AM   #78
BigChris99
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moist View Post
Awesome stable selection in my opinion.

I have a 99' Valk an 02' BMW GS and a 87' KX500 gotta love a good selection. But I want a goldwing. 15 or 18, will be fine.

Thanks. I really like all of them. A bike for every purpose. Keep looking for that Wing. They are out there. Find a clean one, without a lot of crap on it and set it up for you. Take your time setting it up and ride it. The bike will be there, Wings that are taken care of last forever. You know that with your Valkyrie. You'll find out what you need and what you don't. Thats what I did with my 1500. It just plain works for me. Very comfortable, safe, user friendly, reliable bike. Looks good too, IMO.

IBA#7849

Old 09-22-2011, 10:47 AM   #79
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by mngl1500 View Post
The stock alternator is failure prone. In 1995 HITACHI moved their manufacturing from JAPAN to CHINA, since then they have been producing bad alternators. Broken rotor windings or burned up rotor coils from inferior wire and insulation. Replace it with a compufire or get a quality rebuilt one. Depending on how much electric clothing you also have the stock alternator is under powered.
I think I may be getting a Wing ('08?) in the shop next week that needs the stator replaced. He already has the part, so suspect it's an OEM version and subject to failure too.

He rides year round if the roads are clear of snow, sometimes 2-up, so I know the system is probably cranking out the watts for two heated vests/jackets, gloves, grips, etc.

I'll see if I can talk him into trying to return the original (assuming still in plain brown wrapper), and opt for a Compufire.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:51 AM   #80
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

True cartridge front fork conversion

My friend with an 1800 seems to think there is a true cartridge conversion front fork system available for this bike. The only things I have seen are the emulators from someone like Race Tech:

http://www.racetech.com/page/id/58

Is there something else out there I haven't heard about??
Old 09-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #81
BigChris99
Gnarly Adventurer

Guy, If your friend with the 1800 is riding year round and running heated gear and extra lights and such, Compufire is the way to go. I've had one on my 1500 for years. No problems. I have a gauge on my bike, and with the Hotgrips on, electric vest and Tulsa lights on, it stays in the green. He will need a sealed battery such as an Odessy to go with the higher output of the Compufire. As for the front forks on the 1800, you need someone else to chime in. I have Progressive front and rear on my 1500 and am happy with that set up.

IBA#7849

Old 09-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #82
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
My friend with an 1800 seems to think there is a true cartridge conversion front fork system available for this bike. The only things I have seen are the emulators from someone like Race Tech:

http://www.racetech.com/page/id/58

Is there something else out there I haven't heard about??
Some folks in Woodstock, GA;

http://www.traxxion.com/goldwingforks.aspx
IF Eric Clapton was God, Joe Bonamassa would be his Son.
richarddacat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:41 AM   #83
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddacat View Post
Some folks in Woodstock, GA;

http://www.traxxion.com/goldwingforks.aspx
Thank you, and I have passed this along to the owner. Bet this installation ain't cheap, but I have asked him for all the information on their form so we can, at least, get a quote.

Best.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:34 PM   #84
The PacRat
I'm that other guy

Oddometer: 2,506
Which is easier to work on (for general stuff) - 1200 or 1500?
Old 09-23-2011, 07:12 PM   #85
BigChris99
Gnarly Adventurer

For general stuff, they are both about the same. Oil changes are easy, you can get a wrench that slides over the oil filter, so on the 1500 you dont have to remove the bottom cowel, even though the book says to. Getting to the battery is easy too. Pop off a side cover and there it is. Air filter on the 1500 is a major PITA, but doable, just takes time. The problem is that older plastic gets very brittle, and you have to be very careful when you take it off and put it back on. I broke a nipple on a side cover and had to have it plastic welded. Still, they are both coverd in plastic, so it takes some time and patience to work on a Wing. Totally different mindset than say working on my KLR or a Sportster for example. The good news is that they don't need " major " work very often. Another good thing is that if you need to know how to do something, someone somewhere has done it already and there is a wealth of information out there.

IBA#7849

Old 09-23-2011, 10:28 PM   #86
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChris99 View Post
For general stuff, they are both about the same. Oil changes are easy, you can get a wrench that slides over the oil filter, so on the 1500 you dont have to remove the bottom cowel, even though the book says to. Getting to the battery is easy too. Pop off a side cover and there it is. Air filter on the 1500 is a major PITA, but doable, just takes time. The problem is that older plastic gets very brittle, and you have to be very careful when you take it off and put it back on. I broke a nipple on a side cover and had to have it plastic welded. Still, they are both coverd in plastic, so it takes some time and patience to work on a Wing. Totally different mindset than say working on my KLR or a Sportster for example. The good news is that they don't need " major " work very often. Another good thing is that if you need to know how to do something, someone somewhere has done it already and there is a wealth of information out there.
just FYI, on the 1200, the OEM crankshaft oil seal under the timing belt cover is discontinued. My friend made me a 59mm OD 55MM ID sleeve to put in, and we got a 55mm OD oil seal from one of his vendors to change it out because it started leaking.

If anyone else runs into this problem, Let me know, i'll get a sleeve made for you and mail it out.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #87
LukeMacPU
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
New to me GL1100 Standard

My dad has graciously donated his trusty GL1100 to me. I've been playing around with restoring a '75 Z1 that spent the last decade in storage. The Z1 runs, but isn't exactly a smooth or practical machine.

In any event, my dad is getting an upgrade and I get his '83 GL1100 with just over 23K miles. Bike looks good and runs super smooth. I'm looking forward to it, though I doubt I do much off-road with this one!

Any tips on locating a passenger backrest for the GL1100 standard? I keep seeing them on bikes in pictures, but I've not had much luck finding one. The Mrs. really doesn't enjoy riding without a sissy bar.

1990 XT350
LukeMacPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #88
WhatThaFrig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Here's an updated pic of my 82. Done for now until winter. Just gonna ride!
1982 GL1100 Standard
1980 GS550
WhatThaFrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #89
Ultra54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Wow...that is nice...!! I owned a bone stock 80 Interstate and now ride a sweet 86 Aspencade.
Ultra54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #90
lake_harley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThaFrig View Post
Here's an updated pic of my 82. Done for now until winter. Just gonna ride!
What kind of paint did you use on the pipes, BBQ Paint maybe? They look to be stock pipes without the "tailpipes" and front shields. Any info you might share about how you prepped the previously chrome pipes and how it's holding up?

Cool looking 'Wing! Superbike bars??

Thanks

Lynn
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote