ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #16
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Abbott View Post
Well that's kind of ironic. I'm covering that same ground with my brothers September 2–6. I've been casually planning over the last nine months or so. Here's the general route and links to lots of references: http://www.flickr.com/photos/boise/5439813564/ (view the image at its original 15K x 10K pixel size to see details).

I'd love to say join us! but we're shooting for a lot of ATV and single track (if not too gnarly).
I'm familiar with trail 16 where you're running from Lake Elsie to Moon Pass. I can't tell from your map, but do you go east of Moon Pass road? If not, the Red Oak trail up to Gold Mountain is worth the ride.

***edit to add..never mind, looking at your map more closely, it looks like you are running it.
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #17
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade;16667182***
edit to add..never mind, looking at your map more closely, it looks like you are running it.
You were kind of too quick. I was uploading a new map while posting but the upload died. Trying that again. Then you'll see the final route ...
Old 08-19-2011, 03:29 PM   #18
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You were kind of too quick. I was uploading a new map while posting but the upload died. Trying that again. Then you'll see the final route ...
That should be a fantastic trip. What bikes are you running on it?

I need to learn the trail you show that goes from Latour Creek to Pine Creek. It would help with some loops in the area. Any idea if it's ATV or mid sized bike (DR650/KLR) friendly?
Old 08-19-2011, 11:59 PM   #19
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,258
Quote:
Well that's kind of ironic. I'm covering that same ground with my brothers September 26. I've been casually planning over the last nine months or so. Here's the general route and links to lots of references: http://www.flickr.com/photos/boise/5439813564/ (view the image at its original 15K x 10K pixel size to see details).

I'd love to say join us! but we're shooting for a lot of ATV and single track (if not too gnarly).
Jason, what are you guys going to be riding? Some of the single track can get pretty gnarly if you pick the wrong trail. There's a few that aren't that hard, just a lot of sidehill which suck-diddely-uk-lucks.

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:50 AM   #20
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Kodanja, after a dozen tries I've given up on uploading a high-res map. Here's the biggest it would take (Flickr). It seems like turning off to see some of the Hiawatha Trail would be photo-worthy. And Cataldo Mission, the oldest building in Idaho, is scenic (I have it as an optional loop in the northwest of that route).

I think Road 301 turning north along Fishhook Creek is beautiful, if not too far from your plan. That's the lower half of our loop. And you could run northeast from Wallace to the old Burke Mine—nice images there. Lots of other mines around that I've seen but I don't have directions. Good luck! I look forward to hearing about your trip. You make great images.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider View Post
Some of the single track can get pretty gnarly if you pick the wrong trail. There's a few that aren't that hard, just a lot of sidehill which suck-diddely-uk-lucks.
I hear ya. At no point does our route depend on single track. I need no suckage.

Southern St. Joe Forest last year
Old 08-20-2011, 09:22 PM   #21
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
...I think Road 301 turning north along Fishhook Creek is beautiful, if not too far from your plan. That's the lower half of our loop....
You're right, Fishhook is a beautiful ride. It looks like you're going over Freezeout Ridge, also very nice.

I want to let you know about trail 16 if you haven't done it. It has some (not many) pretty good dropoffs and stairsteps over some rock slabs and exposed roots. It's popular with dirt bikes and ATVs. It's a bit narrow, a few quads are lost every year. I see BMWs in your links. This trail might be a bit challenging on bigger bikes. I want some more experience before trying it on a DR650. It might be a non-issue, even on big bikes, for more experienced riders.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:23 AM   #22
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post
I want to let you know about trail 16 if you haven't done it. It has some (not many) pretty good dropoffs and stairsteps over some rock slabs and exposed roots.
Thank you for the heads-up. I've plotted several alternates to the ridge trails and kept to distances that won't have us hurrying. No shame in turning back. I get around alright on that GS but we may have a less experienced guy on an XR 650 so good to know conditions.

Kodanja, sorry to co-opt your thread a bit. If we get back before you leave, I'll post with up-to-the-minute conditions and ideas.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:42 PM   #23
Kodanja OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Kodanja, sorry to co-opt your thread a bit. If we get back before you leave, I'll post with up-to-the-minute conditions and ideas.
No problem....good to hear anything about the area. Thanks for the links....I like the way you set your flickr page up. Have a great ride.....looking forward to your report!
Kodanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:01 PM   #24
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thank you for the heads-up. I've plotted several alternates to the ridge trails and kept to distances that won't have us hurrying. No shame in turning back. I get around alright on that GS but we may have a less experienced guy on an XR 650 so good to know conditions.

Jason, you guys might not have any problem. The part I was describing is from Lake Elsie east to Slate Creek Saddle. There are bail-out routes at Lake Elsie if nothing else, both north and south. There are only a couple bad spots, and with a group, you could help each other over them. You're going the right way-west to east is downhill. The part of the trail I'm familiar with west of Lake Elsie IIRC is wooded and a bit hilly, but I don't recall it being badly rocky...but I've only run that part once a couple years ago (on a quad at that).
Old 08-21-2011, 08:21 PM   #25
Kodanja OP
Studly Adventurer

Alternate Northern Route to Elk River

I've already been across the Dent Bridge along the Elk River Road to Elk River. I'd like to ride through Weippe, Pierce and Headquarters on Hwy 11 to see other communities. Google maps show a route off 11 (merging into County Rd 247) to Elk River via Telephone Creek Rd (turns into Grandad Rd), a bridge crosses the Dworshak Reservoir and continues on Aquarius Rd into Elk River.

Anyone ridden this?
Old 08-21-2011, 08:39 PM   #26
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodanja View Post
I've already been across the Dent Bridge along the Elk River Road to Elk River. I'd like to ride through Weippe, Pierce and Headquarters on Hwy 11 to see other communities. Google maps show a route off 11 (merging into County Rd 247) to Elk River via Telephone Creek Rd (turns into Grandad Rd), a bridge crosses the Dworshak Reservoir and continues on Aquarius Rd into Elk River.

Anyone ridden this?
Kodanja, I've ridden from Elk River to Grandad Bridge. It's a good road, and IIRC there are actually some signs for Grandad pretty much all the way from Elk River. Compared to much of that country, it's an easy one to follow. I can't speak for the roads south of Grandad Brigde, we went as far at the bridge and headed north to Avery.

We were on quads, but actually passed some guys on adventure tourers. Actually, seeing them was kinda what got me on the kick of looking for a bike.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:43 PM   #27
tomasinator
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Wow, the trails.idaho.gov is a great site! Has anyone ridden the apparent single-track at the top of Burke Canyon, the one that heads to Granite Peak? http://www.trails.idaho.gov/?c=47.54...3&mt=g_terrain

The views must be amazing on that high ridge. What's the trail like?
tomasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:46 AM   #28
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodanja View Post
Google maps show a route off 11 (merging into County Rd 247) to Elk River via Telephone Creek Rd (turns into Grandad Rd), a bridge crosses the Dworshak Reservoir and continues on Aquarius Rd into Elk River.
Anyone ridden this?
We rode that last year—Elk River, Aquarius, Grandad, Telephone Creek, Pierce (here's the report). We detoured onto some ATV tracks but the regular road is well maintained gravel, no issues.

Edit: Knowing you're a photo guy, let me add that I didn't find Aquarius and Telephone Creek terribly photo-worthy. Gravel roads through evergreens with no meadows or vistas I recall. Still great to be out in the mountains but not as scenic, in my opinion, as other nearby places. The road up along the North Fork of the Clearwater is fantastic but you can't easily loop anywhere from there with your Anakees.

Jason Abbott screwed with this post 08-22-2011 at 11:04 AM
Jason Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:04 PM   #29
N-Id-Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Visit Murray ID

If you go to Wallace, then you should definately go to Murray, and to the Spragpole Museum of north idaho mining and life. It is truly unique. From Wallace there is a cool dirt rd that goes over the pass and comes right to Murray.

http://silver-valley.com/sprag_pole/
N-Id-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:14 PM   #30
Kodanja OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Knowing you're a photo guy, let me add that I didn't find Aquarius and Telephone Creek terribly photo-worthy. Gravel roads through evergreens with no meadows or vistas I recall. Still great to be out in the mountains but not as scenic, in my opinion, as other nearby places. The road up along the North Fork of the Clearwater is fantastic but you can't easily loop anywhere from there with your Anakees.
Thanks Jason..... In that case I'll most likely loop back to Orofino then. Appreciate the tip!