Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2011, 11:09 PM   #1
Pcfly OP
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 973
Aprilia RXV 4.5 for a dual sport or something else.......

Howdy folks, I got myself enthralled by a 2008 Aprilia RXV 4.4 (450) and dispute knowing how unrefined, gas guzzling, garage needy and over-hp'ed this Italian hag is......I think I want one!! Despite all my sensibility and education I can't help but want an RXV.

I know I'd be better off with a WR250R, 2007 650X Challenge or a newer Husky before remotely thinking an Aprilia would make a decent DS! :loll I know the jury's verdict is in, court adjured, the fat lady sang but........damn, this bike just looks so bloody cool!! Can anybody give me any credibility to the RXV and it's DS characteristics? What do you think.......move on to something else?? The hype isn't justified?!? It's worth it?! Please let me know if this things going to leave me stranded 100miles from home in Death Valley...........which is where I like to take long weekend rides. I'm not a speed freak or one to break the sound barrier, rather I'm one to enjoy the scenery. The 650X is the most refined, probably the best of this lot but it's just a wee bit lacking in the heart racing dept. What would you guys recommend?? The goal is to off-set my 1200GS with a light weight trail bike, add a big gas tank and soft bags and do more technical sections that I wouldn't take the Rhino on.
Attached Images

Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,653
Well, I have the single cylinder version of that bike ((ha ha, actually, they do share the exact same, complete $500 fuel pump assembly)) and it IS guaranteed to put a spring in your step, but would I try and dual-sport it all over again? I doubt it. Trans is too close ratio, fuel mileage sucks when you throttle it hard all the time, burns rear tires like going thru butter. It's fun, but I just dont know if its worth it.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
Pcfly OP
Dude?! Seriously??

Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJake View Post
Well, I have the single cylinder version of that bike ((ha ha, actually, they do share the exact same, complete $500 fuel pump assembly)) and it IS guaranteed to put a spring in your step, but would I try and dual-sport it all over again? I doubt it. Trans is too close ratio, fuel mileage sucks when you throttle it hard all the time, burns rear tires like going thru butter. It's fun, but I just dont know if its worth it.

Sweet husky!!! Which husky is it.....TE-610, TE-550?? I love the looks of these new Husky but again......I hear stories here and there about how they would let you down at just the wrong time. Yeah I should look for a WR250R but I just feel like I want to sleep with what I'm riding. Ok, that might be a little much but you get the point. I should just change this thread into..... Show us pictures of your high maintenance, oil burning, exotic hag!!!

I had a feeling this bike wasn't going to get a lot of hits here.

Thanks for the input.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #4
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcfly View Post
Sweet husky!!! Which husky is it.....TE-610, TE-550?? I love the looks of these new Husky but again......I hear stories here and there about how they would let you down at just the wrong time. Yeah I should look for a WR250R but I just feel like I want to sleep with what I'm riding. Ok, that might be a little much but you get the point. I should just change this thread into..... Show us pictures of your high maintenance, oil burning, exotic hag!!!

I had a feeling this bike wasn't going to get a lot of hits here.

Thanks for the input.
Actually, this 2010 TE450 is rock solid at this point, 4000 miles, doesn't burn any oil at all, has never boiled over, and like you said, if bikes were women, yeah, this one you would do with no beers before. It just might not be the one you finally decide to marry....

Old 08-20-2011, 05:22 AM   #5
Rokoneer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
I was just like you at one point and bought an Aprilia RXV based about 99% on the looks/sexy factor. I had it shipped across the country to me without ever having ridden one until it showed up at my door.

Even when I sold it three months later it still looked amazing. Easily one of the top three sexiest looking bikes I've ever owned, and I've had some sexy machines.

Twas not the bike for me. Maintenance intervals were ridiculous and the questionable reliability (mine was an '07) was ALWAYS on my mind when riding. I also found that having the motor screaming at 6800rpm's at 55mph was really, really annoying.

All this being said, I'm not sure you shouldn't buy one just to realize your passion. If you don't you'll always wonder what it would have been like, and that will drive a sane man crazy. Plus, it may very well be everything you had hoped even though it wasn't for me.

Opinion knowing what I now know of my personal experiences: Buy a Beta.
Rokoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:28 AM   #6
BC61
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
I own a 09 RXV 5.5 I use primarily for RallyMoto racing but have done a few dual sport rides. I have had a few head gasket issues but nothing else. I believe a properly sorted bike can be be just as reliable as the next brand.

Your quoted line below

"I'm not a speed freak or one to break the sound barrier, rather I'm one to enjoy the scenery."

says this is not the bike for you. The RXV has two things going for it, it looks really cool and the bike is made to rip! Most of the 450 class bikes are not made for putting around though some can take it better than others. If you are looking for a 450 class bike for cruising the trail and you want a little more bike than a DRZ has to offer I'd look at the Husqvarna TE 449(TXC 449 if street legality is not an issue), a BMW G450 X or a KTM 450 EXC. If being street legal is not an issue you have even more options. Find a bike that is enduro specific as most mx based bikes don't have the cooling capacity for trail duty.

since yo asked for pics...

SM trim

post Sandblast Rally

in action at Sandblast 2010

My experience at Dakar 2012 www.bc2dakar.com

BC61 screwed with this post 08-20-2011 at 07:08 AM
BC61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #7
Pcfly OP
Dude?! Seriously??

I was afraid you guys might give me that advise....

There's certainly a lot of good bikes out......but there's certainly a lot of bikes without soul. I do like some of the Husky's and my brain likes the WR250R & G650X.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:57 AM   #8
habahaba
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I have RXV550 2007 as a Dual Sport bike, and I love it. These are awesome machines as long as it has been set up right. The bad reputation for this bike came from the early 06 and 07 models, where Aprilia had some serious issues with product line.
The must do mods in my opinion for the RXV is definately:
-IMS 20liter fuel tank
-Lithium battery(I have ultragravity 6900Ah)
-longer ratios, I changed the front sprocket to 16 teeth

When the bike has been mapped properly and supporting mods have been done, the fuel mileage is not so bad. Also bike is very light and its easy to handle even in the hard terrain.

This bike puts a smile to my face every time I ride it, I recommend this bike to every adrenaline junkie
If you consider this bike, I suggest you get to know apriliaforums.com, there are lots of helpful information available.
habahaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:09 PM   #9
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,884
IMS 20l tank is $689 from justgastanks.com!
Does anyone make a decent rear rack for a 450RXV? Maybe mounting rotopax jugs or using bungees to strap on a one gallon wally world can is the answer.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:49 PM   #10
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

Anyone have an opinion on the 12L Aprilia tank? They're around $300 + a bit under $100 for the seat.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:00 PM   #11
mantan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcfly View Post
I was afraid you guys might give me that advise....

There's certainly a lot of good bikes out......but there's certainly a lot of bikes without soul. I do like some of the Husky's and my brain likes the WR250R & G650X.
Hey Paul,

Get the RXV, you will not be disappointed. I suggest 09 (or 10, same as 09) because it has all the fixes/updates from Aprilia and has the new swingarm which can take smaller rear sprockets, I am using 41t. You can try mine if you like, its a 550 with IMS tank, some soft luggage and even heated grips!

Manish
mantan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:23 PM   #12
Pcfly OP
Dude?! Seriously??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantan View Post
Hey Paul,

Get the RXV, you will not be disappointed. I suggest 09 (or 10, same as 09) because it has all the fixes/updates from Aprilia and has the new swingarm which can take smaller rear sprockets, I am using 41t. You can try mine if you like, its a 550 with IMS tank, some soft luggage and even heated grips!

Manish

I'll take you up on your offer. I'll PM you.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:33 PM   #13
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

I'd like to thank each and every one of you who responded to my questions. My brother is coming in next Friday and I wanted to give him a cool birthday present for his 450. Too late now.

PU doesn't list a 16T front sprocket. Only JT even offers the standard 15T. Fuel tanks? You guys are worse than HD owners.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:22 AM   #14
habahaba
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Had some nice 800km ride at the finnish Lapland last weekend with my RXV 550. The bike was running like a dream, average fuel consumption during the trip was 33-35 MPG.

habahaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #15
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Greetings,
If you don't mind, what year is your machine, and how many total miles are on it?
Any mechanical issues?

I looks great!

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote