♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Well done my man, well done.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:47 AM   #47
Haar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
You're there Man . . .

Holy Crap ! ! ! If I only had a quarter of your ambition, talent, and downright artistic talent, let alone the kahonies. Can't imagine someone wondering about "heat" on a design like yours. Same outlook on the Harley-business as you, they still have something about them. Don't pay no nevermind to the critics of your bikes, just ask them to show you "theirs". Too bad the "Motor Company" doesn't employ someone like you (and the likes of Denny Berg) to change the "motorvation" of their specimens. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, young man !
Haar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:28 PM   #48
CooperSmithingCo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
This is the cat's ass. Very impressive (as is your 883). More pics?

Hey thanks, you can see more pics at www.coopersmithingco.com/pjefferson.html

www.CooperSmithingCo.com
CooperSmithingCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:40 PM   #49
CooperSmithingCo OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z50R View Post
I am not so much a fan of the generic Harley-D or the "custom" crowd. The bike you opened the thread with was not something that could be dismissed right away though. I like the openness of it. Tanks in the frame are not a secret anymore but the swing-arm isn't ridiculously over-sized to compensate either so it remains... neat? clean? I don't know the word but the bike doesn't suffer from poor design/execution like many do in an attempt to do the same thing.

I like how the frame forms around the rear exhaust, it draws attention to a mechanical part that many hide or dismiss completely.

I like the flow of the body work but I think I'd have made the junction between the seat and the tank a bit wider. As you have already mentioned you have the ability to actually sit on the thing but from the other side of the internet it reminds me too much of my dr 650's seat in that it is too narrow to ride on for any real length of time.

The exhaust is a work of art but I think it draws too much attention away from the rest of the bike.

I like the muted colors, it makes taking in the entire work at once much easier than glossy paint and chrome where each individual part is competing for your attention and when you step back all you can see is a bunch of bright spots.

Thanks for sharing your work so far, I'm looking forward to seeing it when you are done.

I really appreciate such a complete response. I spent a lot of time building/designing the bike and while I don't mind critics, when someone doesn't devote a fraction of their time in a flippant dismissal it feels like a bit of an insult, after all maybe what you see as an aesthetic flaw was a necessary form in the function of the machine - a conclusion you might reach if you took some time to look at it.

You're right about the seat, not uncomfortable for a sprint around town but a bit too narrow for interstate. Then again this isn't exactly a bike that would lend well to a lengthy tour anyway.

Again, thanks.

www.CooperSmithingCo.com
Old 09-05-2011, 10:44 PM   #50
CooperSmithingCo OP
Adventurer

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. It goes a long way in getting me pumped up for the next build, I really appreciate it. There's a few pics of my next project on this page: http://www.coopersmithingco.com/praw.html

I'll be sure to start a new thread here when I get going, until then if anyone is interested I outline the progress in the Build Log on my website.

Thanks again.

www.CooperSmithingCo.com
Old 09-05-2011, 10:53 PM   #51
CooperSmithingCo OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MODNROD View Post
I use olive oil on my stainless (yeah, right!) steel splashbacks in my kitchen.

Possibly a mix of diesel and light mineral oil would do the job without attracting bugs.......or pasta.......

Should last a long time though. I've made mild steel exhausts for some of my bikes, and if they get ridden once every week or two they don't rust, just turn blue/green and shine.
Thanks for the tip...mild steel exhaust? Send me a pic!

www.CooperSmithingCo.com
Old 09-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #52
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,419
that's friggin' beautiful!

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #53
Radu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
What model/ year Buell forks are those ?

Nice bikes btw. That Buell Ducati bike is looking real nice.
Radu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:30 PM   #54
Otis the Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,090
Nice work, sir.
Welcome Aboard.

Fact is, I like roads. I like to move.
Harry Truman
Otis the Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #55
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
I lived in the pnw-everette, but if you ride here in socal what may take weeks to see oxidize there, you can watch it happen before your eyes, it is about the evaporation rate. I have seen blasted Kart frames look almost like titanium, nice finish with a clear coat as mentioned, some clear epoxy for durbility may be worth experimenting with.
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote