ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2011, 11:11 PM   #1
richard.bessey OP
Hard Rider

Oddometer: 512
Close Call - Can I call law enforcement?

All,
Yesterday, I was cruising down the highway, about 55 MPH
I come up to an intersection, I am on the highway, a ford explorer has a stop sign.
I see the ford explorer come to a complete stop, look both ways, I am pretty certain she sees me, and then pull out in front of me.
I locked both the front and rear, I was certain I was going down. At the last possible moment, the driver saw me and slammed on the brakes, missed me by a couple of feet.

I survived, didn't dump the bike, just some clouds of smoke from my skidding tires, and lots of adrenaline.

My question - Should I have turned around and followed the Ford Explorer, get the license plate number, and then call 911 to report a wreckless driver?
Thoughts?

1994 XT 350 - The dirt machine
1992 TDM 850 - The street ride
1988 TW 200 - Wifes Ride
richard.bessey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:15 PM   #2
grinns
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 1,321
Why didn't you shoot the bitch?

Honestly, you won't really get anywhere. I only call in drunks and people driving extremely recklessly. (cutting corners in cars on popular bike roads)

Be glad you didn't get hit or have to lay it down. Go have a beer.

grinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:17 PM   #3
VStromTom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
She did what I always assume a vehicle in that position will do, not see me and pull out. I ride looking for an out, ready position, usually flashing my high beam to make myself more visible, while in my hi-viz jacket.

You could do as you asked about, probably wouldn't do any good, IMO.
VStromTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:22 PM   #4
grinns
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromTom View Post
She did what I always assume a vehicle in that position will do, not see me and pull out. I ride looking for an out, ready position, usually flashing my high beam to make myself more visible, while in my hi-viz jacket.

You could do as you asked about, probably wouldn't do any good, IMO.
Same and this happens to me too, but I am way more prepared.

All my crashes are from me being stupid. Once riding to school in the snow , second the turbo kicked in on a 90 deg corner, and third jumping way to freak in high and letting off the gas on the last jump because I thought I would overshoot the road.

grinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:41 AM   #5
wibby
BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer: 10,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard.bessey View Post
My question - Should I have turned around and followed the Ford Explorer, get the license plate number, and then call 911 to report a wreckless driver?
Thoughts?
Not sure about Wa laws but here in Oregon, if a cop does not see it, they can't do shit about it
Old 08-20-2011, 01:30 AM   #6
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,259
I don't think this would qualify as wreckless driving. As you stated, she did stop, and attempt to look both ways.

Unfortunately, the human eye doesn't see vertical, only horizontal. So you and your vertical bike were not easily recognized by her until you were almost horizontal...

On the flip side, maybe she did see you but merely mis-judged your closing speed. Simple human error that could have been costly.

I've said this numerous times over in Perfect Line.... when approaching an intersection like that. At the slightest inclination of thinking they won't stop or pull out in front of you, I start some lateral swerves side to side within my lane... I can definitely say I've seen drivers who realize I'm there and they slow their roll or touch the brakes. Also applies to the person who may turn left in front of you. No loud pipes, ABS Brakes or Hi-Viz jackets here btw...

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"

Kootenai Rider screwed with this post 08-20-2011 at 10:46 AM
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:24 AM   #7
papaduc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
First things first...go buy a lottery ticket
Being a small object makes it hard for other drivers to judge your speed and distance. The driver may have seen you but thought you were further away.
Next time (chances are pretty good there will be a next time) use your jedi powers and predict they will pull out then come up with a way to "help" them see you. The moving in your lane mentioned earlier is a good one, you could also turn your headlight to high beam (don't flash it).
Even after all of your attempts there is still a 50% chance they will pull out so get ready to use thos mad skills you have been developing
We are all glad you came away from this un-hurt.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:43 AM   #8
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,526
this kinda shit happens every day...

*yawn*

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:50 AM   #9
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING EYEBALL View Post
this kinda shit happens every day...

*yawn*
yeah, cops don't care unless you're doing 10 over..

let it go.. just know that there are thousands more people like here that are just waiting to mow you over
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:56 AM   #10
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,694
In Oregon it might be careless driving instead of reckless, but really, it was just inattention. It's something we have ALL done while driving/riding (if you have given driving/riding your complete attention 100% of the time, you're the first I've ever heard of).

My understanding is 911 is for emergencies. It doesn't sound like an emergency unless the woman was having a seizure, driving drunk, or was on fire. It's just an oh sh*t moment and ride on. When stuff like that happens to me I just wave and figure they realize they almost killed someone.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:58 PM   #11
richard.bessey OP
Hard Rider

Oddometer: 512
Thanks!

Thank you everyone for the replies, I will have a beer and buy a lottery ticket

Also, thank you for the ideas, swerving inside my lane and flashing my brights, never thought about that. Great idea!

I ride pretty cautiously, I have had several of these happen before but this was the first one at high speed, and by far the closest.

Normally, my close calls are in downtown traffic, when I see something similar to this about to happen I slow down or sometimes stop, until the other driver decides what they are going to go, go, stop, etc...

I appreciate the comments on being carefull, 9 times out of 10 I am and I was pretty certain this driver saw me.

Now off to the mini mart for a lotto ticket and a cold one.

1994 XT 350 - The dirt machine
1992 TDM 850 - The street ride
1988 TW 200 - Wifes Ride
richard.bessey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:19 PM   #12
liv2rydktms
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,253
Uh-Oh!

I was amazed when I studied for the endorsement test, It seemed to me the key concept was defensive driving, watch out for the other guy! Glad you escaped unscathed. Good luck with the lottery ticket!
IBA#33733
"R" Death Valley trip

liv2rydktms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #13
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,843
Worse deal

I was run off the road once----it was really close to being bad-------I hit the ditch and damaged my bike quite a bit, but I wasn't hurt.

The person stopped----we called the law--and guess what----------since we didn't touch----he told me I didn't have a leg to stand on. I was shit out of luck.

Guess I should have hit her-------hell---I wouldn't have had a leg to stand on then either

Accidents on private property can be very ugly---such as a Wal-Mart parking lot. I was in my jeep--and saw this 17 year old gal coming at a weird angle across the lot very fast---I was in a proper lane--she wasn't------I was stopped----she slammed into me and the cop wouldn't make a report. Not on private property he said. Had to fix that one myself.

It ain't fair---the bad guys wins.

Mark
BidDog
Old 08-20-2011, 10:27 PM   #14
dabracing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
We've all had that happen before if you've been riding m/c's for more than 3 minutes. Live and learn.
Personally, I'd be more pissed at myself because I didn't take the necessary defensive precautions.
Like one of the posters above stated; ABS, Hi-Viz gear, high beams, blah, blah, blah, it doesn't matter if they're not looking.
dabracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:39 PM   #15
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
I was run off the road once----it was really close to being bad-------I hit the ditch and damaged my bike quite a bit, but I wasn't hurt.

The person stopped----we called the law--and guess what----------since we didn't touch----he told me I didn't have a leg to stand on. I was shit out of luck.

Guess I should have hit her-------hell---I wouldn't have had a leg to stand on then either

Accidents on private property can be very ugly---such as a Wal-Mart parking lot. I was in my jeep--and saw this 17 year old gal coming at a weird angle across the lot very fast---I was in a proper lane--she wasn't------I was stopped----she slammed into me and the cop wouldn't make a report. Not on private property he said. Had to fix that one myself.

It ain't fair---the bad guys wins.

Mark
BidDog
You need a better insurance company.

My wife was hit by some brain dead old bitch in a Safeway parking lot.
My wife's insurance covered the cost to get it repaired plus a rental car for 4 days, and when it was over the old bitch's insurance company sent us a check to cover the cost of the deductible.

My 1990 FZR1000 was run over in a Navy Exchange parking lot by some brain dead bitch, my insurance company paid to get the bike fixed (I saved them $1,500.00 by not getting stupid shit fixed, like scratches to the frame and swingarm).

My insurance company went after them like a bum after the last ham sandwich at a free food giveaway.

She ended up paying me my deductible and she had to repay my insurance company.

USAA.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote