ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2011, 10:27 PM   #16
grinns
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by guns_equal_freedom View Post
You need a better insurance company.

My wife was hit by some brain dead old bitch in a Safeway parking lot.
My wife's insurance covered the cost to get it repaired plus a rental car for 4 days, and when it was over the old bitch's insurance company sent us a check to cover the cost of the deductible.

My 1990 FZR1000 was run over in a Navy Exchange parking lot by some brain dead bitch, my insurance company paid to get the bike fixed (I saved them $1,500.00 by not getting stupid shit fixed, like scratches to the frame and swingarm).

My insurance company went after them like a bum after the last ham sandwich at a free food giveaway.

She ended up paying me my deductible and she had to repay my insurance company.

USAA.
That is nice to hear. I thought about getting USAA from state farm.

grinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:29 AM   #17
thebigkr
Stupid Freak

Oddometer: 132
Wife and I were in the minivan about to pull into the alley behind our house when a stupid teenage bitch in a ford ranger pulls out of the alley. She moves her head in a motion that somewhat implied that she was looking both ways and pulled right out in front of our VW Eurovan. It was clear that there was NOTHING going on in her head and she was only turning her head out of some pre-programmed zombie like response to being in an intersection. Slammed on the brakes and didn't crash but both my wife and I burst into laughter as we both instantly realized there was nothing going on in the chicks head.

I always expect people to pull out in front of me.

On the swerving in ones lane, I read an article a while back about a study that was performed in the UK on the science behind the lack of awareness of motorcycles. One of my take away items from the article was that people are much more likely to pick up on lateral movement as it stands out as not normally occurring within a lane. I've been using this for some time now and I'm a firm believer that it helps some less attentive drivers to see me coming.

As far as calling the police, don't bother. Hard enough to get them to respond to real crime let alone tracking down some shithead that can't drive.

thebigkr screwed with this post 08-21-2011 at 06:38 AM
thebigkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:08 AM   #18
BLU HWY
Guilty By-Stander

Oddometer: 919
It's up to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigkr View Post
On the swerving in ones lane, I read an article a while back about a study that was performed in the UK on the science behind the lack of awareness of motorcycles. One of my take away items from the article was that people are much more likely to pick up on lateral movement as it stands out as not normally occurring within a lane. I've been using this for some time now and I'm a firm believer that it helps some less attentive drivers to see me coming.
SMIDSY: Sorry Mate I didn't See You!

This vid has helped me....
Old 08-21-2011, 09:54 AM   #19
VStromTom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Something else I do is stay in the rut of the lane that makes me most visible to side traffic, from the right that means the left rut of my lane. Also, it is sometimes hard to see from the side that a vehicle is moving since I am moving on the bike. I watch the wheel rims and can usually tell if the vehicle has started to move.
VStromTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:16 PM   #20
Hot Stuff
Road Dragon

Oddometer: 312
It's a lot tougher to find an escape route when you are in dense city traffic. I recently had a guy make a right turn from the center lane right in front of me. i was in the right lane. I had left a buffer zone between me and this car in the center lane, but he hit his brakes hard prior to making the right and that caused the gap between us to close, then he made the right, putting his car perpendicular to my lane and about 6 feet in front of me. I ended up center punching his car and I got ejected from the bike. I landed head first in the street then flipped onto my back. Only injuries to me were a torn MCL in my left knee and possible chipped bone in my foot (awaiting MRI results).

In retrospect I know threre were some things I should have done to avoid this collision...not sure if anything would have helped in this circumstance.

I had been behind this guy (in the lane to his right) for several minutes) and certainly wasn't going to pass him on the right. I had Whalen police-spec red and blue strobe lights going the whole time and this asshat still didn't see me. . My two riding buddies right behind me got a nice view of me flying off the bike.

Back to the OP's original question -- sounds like this was just a case of the driver making a mistake. It happens. Glad you came out okay.
Hot Stuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:51 PM   #21
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard.bessey View Post
My question - Should I have turned around and followed the Ford Explorer, get the license plate number, and then call 911 to report a wreckless driver?
Thoughts?
No. You should stop riding straight down the road expecting drivers to see you. Add lateral motion.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #22
BLU HWY
Guilty By-Stander

Oddometer: 919
Quote:

My question - call 911 to report a wreckless driver?
Thoughts?

Watch for the SMIDSY & remain wreckless...
Old 08-23-2011, 05:12 PM   #23
linkweewee
tantum quantum

Oddometer: 13,814
Were you standing on your pegs at the time?
Old 08-23-2011, 06:48 PM   #24
richard.bessey OP
Hard Rider

Oddometer: 511
Update

I have been experimenting swerving back in forth inside my lane when approaching intersections.
I am suprised how well this works.
1st off, I notice people notice my bike much more when they see a light going back and forth in the lane.
2nd, its fun (I get carried away sometimes)
3rd, I think other drivers think I am wreck less when swerving. I have total control of the bike and feel comfortable doing it, but I think it worries other drivers so they pay alot more attention.

Also, I am contemplating purchasing a headlight modulator. They are roughly $100 and I would have to wire it in.

1994 XT 350 - The dirt machine
1992 TDM 850 - The street ride
1988 TW 200 - Wifes Ride
richard.bessey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:04 PM   #25
mlyamkaw
Drill Baby Drill

Oddometer: 523
Quote:
I have been experimenting swerving back in forth inside my lane when approaching intersections.
I am suprised how well this works.
This works great to get tailgaters off your ass also. If that fails, hang your feet off the pegs and do it. If that fails, stand on the pegs and do it. Most people don't want to run over the out of control motorcyclist.
14 KTM 500 EXC
mlyamkaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:20 PM   #26
southforkspeedster
koolaidless

Oddometer: 1,980

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibby View Post
Not sure about Wa laws but here in Oregon, if a cop does not see it, they can't do shit about it

SFS
southforkspeedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #27
Beerslayer
Journeyman Bike Knocker

Oddometer: 3,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkweewee View Post
Were you standing on your pegs at the time?

Here it comes

Road Rash Riding Roatan
Beerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:51 PM   #28
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 13,007
I stood up on my pegs,
I dropped my trousers,
I unfurled a roll of toilet paper into the breeze,
and the traffic seemed to disappear behind me!
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:21 AM   #29
Eris
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Swerving or standing on pegs does work to get people to back off or pay attention... well most people. Sort of funny to see the tailgater way behind you just because you stood up. Usually it just means I'm too hot and need a better breeze but hey, if they think it means something else I'll take it!
Eris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:29 AM   #30
earwig
Crowbar of Embrayage

Oddometer: 4,707
Assume that you are invisible and everybody is trying to kill you.

I'm not joking.
earwig is offline   Reply With Quote