User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,476
Trying to find a rear tire for my Super 8

This should be easy right? Well, it seems that nobody makes a rear 120/80-14 scooter tire, except for the OEM Chen Shin which costs $95. At least I can't find anything in that size except for some front tires. I'd actually like to go with a slightly bigger tire to get a little more speed out of my Super 8 but I can't find anything like that.

So, my choices are go with the OEM or get a 120/80-14 front tire.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
GeeGusKahn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
This should be easy right? Well, it seems that nobody makes a rear 120/80-14 scooter tire, except for the OEM Chen Shin which costs $95. At least I can't find anything in that size except for some front tires. I'd actually like to go with a slightly bigger tire to get a little more speed out of my Super 8 but I can't find anything like that.

So, my choices are go with the OEM or get a 120/80-14 front tire.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
KL

you are so right, I looked at all the sites I have bookmarked and no one has 120/80-14 marked as a rear tire.

So, just a thought, get a front 120/80-14 tubeless and mount it on the rear with reverse rotation.
I say this for several reasons.
First a bunch of Goldwing riders do this only a rear tire mounted on the front with reverse rotation with no problems that I have read of. Very heavy bike with lots of speed and no obvious problems noted.
2nd, you are not riding a 100hp screamer.
3rd, I looked at 2 different sets of bias ply scooter tires that I have and the direction of the groves is reversed front and rear.

If it was me, which it is not, I would probably give it a try since there is such a good choice of front tires.

Also, I found smalltire.com has a good selection of scooter tires.
Good luck.

Sent from my Trash 80 on 300 baud dial up.
GeeGusKahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
That is a surprising situation, what do people on the Kymco forums suggest as a replacement? Unless you are unhappy wih the oem Cheng Shin, get another one and enjoy the ride.
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warney View Post
That is a surprising situation, what do people on the Kymco forums suggest as a replacement? Unless you are unhappy wih the oem Cheng Shin, get another one and enjoy the ride.
Someone else asked about tires on the Kymco forum and didn't get much response. I reposted and no response yet. The Kymco forum is not nearly as active as ADV.

I may get another OEM tire but $95 seem rather high for a Chen Shin tire. I'm happy with the fact that it has lasted 8,000 miles but it is pretty hard and doesn't have the greatest traction in wet conditions. I'm just exploring my options before I make a decision.

I seem to have this habit of getting scooters with weird rear tire sizes. My Aprilia also has a very rare sized rear tire.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeGusKahn View Post
KL

you are so right, I looked at all the sites I have bookmarked and no one has 120/80-14 marked as a rear tire.

So, just a thought, get a front 120/80-14 tubeless and mount it on the rear with reverse rotation.
I say this for several reasons.
First a bunch of Goldwing riders do this only a rear tire mounted on the front with reverse rotation with no problems that I have read of. Very heavy bike with lots of speed and no obvious problems noted.
2nd, you are not riding a 100hp screamer.
3rd, I looked at 2 different sets of bias ply scooter tires that I have and the direction of the groves is reversed front and rear.

If it was me, which it is not, I would probably give it a try since there is such a good choice of front tires.

Also, I found smalltire.com has a good selection of scooter tires.
Good luck.
I've heard of reversing the rotation as you said. I'm still waiting to see what others have done with their Super 8's. Good seeing you again on Sunday. I hope you had a good ride.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #6
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,089
that's so weird- I also spent time searching figuring someone would make a rear that would work, but no go.

I had a 73 Kawasaki 175 that needed new rubber, and finally found Cheng Shin was about the only company I could source them from. I didn't quibble- Just happy to be able to replace those old stale tires....

Would have thought that some Taiwan site might offer an alternative, but not sure how to narrow the search, and shipping would be steep...Good luck!

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
lifer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
This is one of the reasons I purchased an agility 125 instead of the super 8. I did not want to pay $100 a tire and have no options. good luck, I hope you find a good alternative.
lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifer View Post
This is one of the reasons I purchased an agility 125 instead of the super 8. I did not want to pay $100 a tire and have no options. good luck, I hope you find a good alternative.
I didn't even consider it when I bought my Super 8. However, although the tire is expensive, I pay around the same for rear tires for my Sport City, and I have yet to go 4,000 miles on any of those tires. I doubt that many of the smaller 10-13 inch rear tires will go 8,000 miles.

If and when I get around to replacing my Super 8, I will get something with a more common tire size.

Kymco has sold a lot of Super 8s so there must be other tire choices out there, they may just not be available in the USA.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #9
lifer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
I didn't even consider it when I bought my Super 8. However, although the tire is expensive, I pay around the same for rear tires for my Sport City, and I have yet to go 4,000 miles on any of those tires. I doubt that many of the smaller 10-13 inch rear tires will go 8,000 miles.

If and when I get around to replacing my Super 8, I will get something with a more common tire size.

Kymco has sold a lot of Super 8s so there must be other tire choices out there, they may just not be available in the USA.
True, I am sure there are choices overseas. I agree about the small tires . I actually am looking at puting a 145/80/12 car tire on the back of my Agility when I wear out the OEM. The Reflex owners like them on the 250 and I measured up my back end nd It will fit. I will have to raise the fender a little but that looks doable.
lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:58 AM   #10
GeeGusKahn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
KL
I was just checking on similar wheel equipped scoots.
I think the PCX guys are going to have the same problem, limited or no selection on tires.
I think the skinnier 14 in and some skinnier 15 in sizes are very very limited.

Sent from my Trash 80 on 300 baud dial up.
GeeGusKahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:41 AM   #11
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeGusKahn View Post
KL
I was just checking on similar wheel equipped scoots.
I think the PCX guys are going to have the same problem, limited or no selection on tires.
I think the skinnier 14 in and some skinnier 15 in sizes are very very limited.

They were discussing this on the PCX thread. They also have no choices but the OEM tire seems to be pretty good and only costs $64. I was hoping maybe I could use the PCX tire but it is a 100-14. The Sport city 125 uses a 120/7-14 rear tire but I don't want to go with a smaller tire.

I think I'll go with the OEM tire for my super 8. It's over priced but at least it lasts a long time.

I'm hoping that by the time I wear out this next tire there will be some more choices. At least I do have some choices for the front tire although I don't think the OEM tire will wear out for another year or two.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #12
steveb126
Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer: 992

Watching with interest. sending a pm.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:52 AM   #13
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb126 View Post

Watching with interest. sending a pm.
Got your PM.

I stopped at the dealer and ordered an OEM tire. It's over priced but it has worked pretty well and I can't really complain about getting 8,000 miles out of a small scooter tire.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #14
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:

Viper Stryke AM63 (rear) 140/70-14 Rim 350-450
width 140mm
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #15
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,717
14 incher

http://www.scooterwest.com/items/?_p...ound-Tire/9328

$155 for a wider 14" Continental.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote