User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2012, 05:44 AM   #61
zoki1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Thumb

Very nice detailed report , thanks for the info !!!.. I laugh for the fight on page 1 ....JAPS vs GS vs REAL ADVRIDER !!! And thanks for not posting a pictures with bike down .....Lake most GS owners !!!!
Old 04-29-2012, 10:46 PM   #62
vanveen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
thanks for the post, those are tough bikes, think I had over 100,000 on mine, hard to tell because the speedo quit working at about 8,000, loved that bike, sorry I sold it, but I've said that about more than one bike

vanveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:47 AM   #63
BonkDog
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Great report, Nick. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your adventures. I also commented at the James Bay site.

Good luck whenever you decide to conquer the James Bay and Trans Taiga roads.
BonkDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:41 AM   #64
Boulder Ed
Bin Ridin

Oddometer: 807
What's a guzzi?

I was servicing my GSA yesterday and noticed that Guzzi's closely resemble BMWs that have been dropped on both sides without cylinder head protection. That said, I've been wanting one to explore its mechanics for years, since I rode old /5, /6 bikes for 100,000 plus miles over the years, and still love the feel of old airheads.

The idea of being able to do roadside repairs is enduring. The idea that you are at risk with modern Jap bike technology is simply obsolete. In close to 500,000 miles in our family on Jap bikes, we have never once been stranded by a failure other than a flat tire. My wife put over 60K between a 90 and a 93vfr, and I never even adjusted a valve. About 105K for me on ST1100's- same story. Probably the best bike ever made.

My brand new 07' GSA lost a fuel controller in WY at 4k though and BMW's great "anywhere" roadside assistance plan that came with the bike left me to bake in the sun, and limp back homeward, until final death of the fuel system occured after maybe 40 moving failures with a MTBF or about 5 miles. During one painful call to the service advisor at the dealership I bought it from, he asked me "did you ride it in the rain?" The answer was yes, 12 hours after picking it up at 5:00 on a Sunday morning on highway 200 in MT, about 2 months ago. Apparently they had some with bad o-rings on the fuel controller set up, and made a design change to remedy the problem. But at 52K enjoyable miles now, on what is arguably the most competent big adventure bike ever made, I am confident in it's reliability.

I still want one of the cool old El Dorados though, even after helping a friend service his Centuaro a few years back. Oil drain plug with 1" clearance from exhaust system. We were literally laughing out loud as we laid on opposite sides of the bike hands reaching in from both sides, fingers on the bolt, to get the plug re-threaded.

Well when the screaming deal comes up on a clean Guzzi, I'll buy it and spend hours dialing it in and starring at it between rides. I guess I'll always be one of those guys who loves anything with two wheels. That might explain why I bought a Jawa 354 (1961) that I found in a barn recently.

"Terrorizing small animals on the road since 1971"
Boulder Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #65
nick949eldo OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
James Bay Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkDog View Post
Great report, Nick. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your adventures. I also commented at the James Bay site.

Good luck whenever you decide to conquer the James Bay and Trans Taiga roads.
Thanks Bonkdog - glad you enjoyed it. I have been up the James Bay Road a couple of times. Once on my own on a BMW K100 (over 200,000kms on that one), and the following year with my son - me on a Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe and my son, with freshly minted licence, on his 1980 Honda CM400. Great fun both times, but not enough gravel.

If you are interested, you can view a short, dusty video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8iK1ct3Ydc

Nick

nick949eldo screwed with this post 05-09-2012 at 05:28 PM
nick949eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #66
nick949eldo OP
Studly Adventurer

No risk = No fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder Ed View Post
I was servicing my GSA yesterday and noticed that Guzzi's closely resemble BMWs that have been dropped on both sides without cylinder head protection.

The idea of being able to do roadside repairs is enduring. The idea that you are at risk with modern Jap bike technology is simply obsolete.
The old joke about Guzzis being 'perky' (or nubile, depending on your preference) and airheads being gravity challenged is barely worth repeating. Get one - you may never go back to a BMW!

As for roadside repairs, its my comfort level - nothing really to do with the realities of the reliability of modern bikes. I find the possibility of a roadside disaster to be part of the joy and pleasure of long rides in remote places. Too much reliability, too much smoothness, too capable handling, too much power - well, its all too dull. I'll take a bike that sounds right, is moody, obstinate sometimes, a bit cranky and subject to the occasional problem over some soulless piece of perfect engineering any time.

No risk = no fun. This is not a new revelation for me but something I have been enjoying / enduring for a long time. Further explanation here: http://www.adamsheritage.info/in_praise_of_older.htm

Nick
Old 05-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #67
Mane
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick949eldo View Post
As for roadside repairs, its my comfort level - nothing really to do with the realities of the reliability of modern bikes. I find the possibility of a roadside disaster to be part of the joy and pleasure of long rides in remote places. Too much reliability, too much smoothness, too capable handling, too much power - well, its all too dull. I'll take a bike that sounds right, is moody, obstinate sometimes, a bit cranky and subject to the occasional problem over some soulless piece of perfect engineering any time.
That sounds twisted but I do see the allure.

Well said!

Regards,
Mane
'03 BMW R1150GS Adventure (Death because of hopistalary infection R.I.P.)
"Never wrestle with a pig. You both get all dirty, and the pig likes it".
Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #68
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
wow Nick, you said a mouthful there and I tend to agree!
woodly1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:16 AM   #69
Boulder Ed
Bin Ridin

No risk = no fun. This is not a new revelation for me but something I have been enjoying / enduring for a long time. Further explanation here: http://www.adamsheritage.info/in_praise_of_older.htm

Nick[/QUOTE]

Well, ok, I can understand it, as I would totally enjoy taking an older bike on a long ride, knowing some uncertainty exists, and am a bit of a risk taker on my rides with things other than safety. Take today for example, as my wife and I are riding our boring, predictable BMW R1200GSA and R1200R over the continental divide, beating a big storm by only hours to camp in Canyonlands or Capital Reef area in Utah, and return in 5 days after the storm is gone. Hopefully the winds in Utah will be calm while we camp, or I will be in big trouble for having misrepresented the weather :-)
Hopefully the reliability will hold on next months 9,000 mile run to D2D and AK!

Old 05-10-2012, 06:37 AM   #70
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
hey bouldered, hope to see you at D2D! I hope to be there as well as AK also! Leaving KY June1st! Sorry for the hijack...
woodly1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:19 AM   #71
nick949eldo OP
Studly Adventurer

Boulder Ed - I hope you and your wife have a great trip, now and on your adventures to the north.

Nick
Old 05-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #72
ckjj888
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
1972年的摩托古兹跟我年龄一样大,佩服老前辈!
ckjj888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #73
nick949eldo OP
Studly Adventurer

Translation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckjj888 View Post
1972年的摩托古兹跟我年龄一样大,佩服老前辈!
Courtesy of Google Translate, the message above roughly says:

"Years Motuoguzi with my age, admire the old-timers!"

Thanks ckjj888, Happy 40th (享受40。这是一个很好的年龄!)

Nick
Old 05-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #74
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,858
Loved it! Now I just need to convince the owner with the California for sale near me to sell it to me.
skierd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:10 PM   #75
Boulder Ed
Bin Ridin

Back from UTah

Just got back from 1100 miles in Utah, with my wife on her R1200R and my GSA. We camped the entire week and had a perfect ride, no issues, no flat tires, no tickets. Now to swap brake pads, change a few fluids and adjust the valves and I'm ready for departure to D2D early June! a big YEEHAW! Btw, for the statisticians in the group, my GSA carrying all the gear gets 48mpg at 68mph, vs 54 on the R1200R! Dang she kicks my tail with the taller gearing.