Thumb

Thanks Wattner!
Old 09-15-2009, 09:39 PM   #152
Cumbacheech
XRated

Oddometer: 823
Mounted!!!

Hey Everyone,

I just finished mounting my Pelican cases, finally...!!! . Pics to come real soon . The only other thing I really want to do is the gussets but for now I won't overload/overpack.

Cumbacheech

Pics: Adventure setup, SUMO setup, Dirt setup
Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:31 PM   #153
Bbasso
my name is Rob

Oddometer: 1,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner
Hey Bbasso,

I had no more than what you have as far as bags go (full of stuff...), but that was years ago when I would BLAST whoops and ride fairly aggressive with lots of jumping and high speed desert stuff. I have slowed way down now... pain just hurts. Really, I had used dog saddlebags and a small (maybe smaller than the rear bag you have...) rear bag. I was moving along at a pretty good pace and did a seat bounce over a little wash (probably 4th gear 3/4 throttle...) and shazam, I was on my ass when the subframe gave out and my seat was no longer there... Lucky nuts!!!!

Hence my perplexed state when I see rear racks, top boxes, hard bags, bags on top of bags, etc.

I will attempt to find some photos and scan to show.... One buddy had his go with only the tool bag.
I did read what you wrote, just keep forgetting to respond.
I haven't been off-road with the bags yet. My eyes are always looking under for any bad sings.
Most of the weight is right under my ass, where the strap crosses over the top of the seat. Actually both straps are on the seat.
You're telling me that the frame that holds the seat might bust?

The tail bag, has a max of 3lbs. mostly small items- cigs, lighter, air guage... stuff like that.
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:04 AM   #154
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,941
Correct... It is the frame that holds the seat up at the joint where it meets the diagonal downtube.

Mine cracked and broke off pounding deep whoops. It may have been cracked from carrying weight at another time and just gave way. At the time of failure, there was only my rear fender bag with tools. Probably 6 lbs. or so.

Keep an eye on it....
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:42 AM   #155
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,101
luggage

Here is my xr with a cycleracks rack (love it) and dirt bagz (love those too).

On the xr650l these two items work perfectly together.
Attached Images

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #156
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555
Here is my xr with a cycleracks rack (love it) and dirt bagz (love those too).
On the xr650l these two items work perfectly together.
I have a cycle rack. Where do you mount the dirt bagz so they don't get burned on the exhaust pipe?
*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:25 AM   #157
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,101
Dirt Bagz with Cycleracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrockit
I have a cycle rack. Where do you mount the dirt bagz so they don't get burned on the exhaust pipe?
Dirt Bagz have model specific brackets that hold the bags in place and away from the exhaust.

On the XR650L the battery box bumps out the same amount as the exhaust on the other side. The dirt bagz brackets mounted are almost the exact same width as the cyclerack.

The mounting points are also the same, so I used longer bolts in the foot peg mount, and upgraded the blinker bolts to grade 8, 1/4" diameter bolts. no drilling required.

The dirt bagz straps are long enough to go right over top of the cycleracks, which makes taking them on/off a 2 minute affair.

I promptly removed my top box after getting the dirt bagz, as it was ugly and no longer needed. In my opinion, this is probably the best set up for luggage on the XR650L.... For all around use at least.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:46 AM   #158
Carphunter
n00b rash

Oddometer: 80
Got my Cycleracks rack on. Pic'd here with my shooting bag on a trip to the range.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:35 PM   #159
Notabiker
Notabiker.. really!

Oddometer: 24
XRL luggage rack from turbocity

Here's my XRL my wife's DRZ and her uncles 81(?) Goldwing on our ride up to a Deadhorse in Prudhoe bay Alaska. I got the turbocity denali luggage rack with cortech bags. The rack is ok but the package with bags isn't the greatest. Granted the ride was about 1000 miles roundtrip with around 800 of gravel. The bottom corner of the rack has too large of a radius for the bags and the rack wore into the corner of the saddle bags some. As well as the bottom support for the saddlebags wore through the bottom layer of the saddlebags! I maybe had 8 pounds in each side. I'm thinking of trying to straighten out the saddlebag support and have it just go straight down or just fire up the cutoff saw and chop it off above the radius. All turbocity could say was make sure the bags were secured tightly with the side support straps... Which is what caused the edge of the bag to wear because of 1/4" radius being held against a 3" radius piece of metal. Anyways either that or if I can get ahold of a welder I'd modify the lower part to make it a 90 degree angle (no radius) as well as removable with some pins. That way I can still do really tight backwoods riding w/o having to worry about the saddlebag supports sticking out and catching trees during the really tight I'm somewhere where I shouldn't be stuff. And if I find a welder I think the rear seat support should be beefed up. Good thing I built a shed and winter is coming so I'll have room and time to work.

Oh yea around 250 miles w/o reserve with the acerbis tank! Though my wife kept us all going anywhere from 25 to 35mph in the gravel helped the mileage alot. Wasn't a bad thing that we went slower because we ran into three different people that wrecked their bikes in the four days we took to ride the 1000 miles.
Attached Images

Notabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:25 AM   #160
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notabiker
Here's my XRL my wife's DRZ and her uncles 81(?) Goldwing on our ride up to a Deadhorse in Prudhoe bay Alaska. I got the turbocity denali luggage rack with cortech bags. The rack is ok but the package with bags isn't the greatest. Granted the ride was about 1000 miles roundtrip with around 800 of gravel.

Oh yea around 250 miles w/o reserve with the acerbis tank! Though my wife kept us all going anywhere from 25 to 35mph in the gravel helped the mileage alot. Wasn't a bad thing that we went slower because we ran into three different people that wrecked their bikes in the four days we took to ride the 1000 miles.
Looks good. First DRZ and XRL I have heard doing that trip.
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:54 PM   #161
Cumbacheech
XRated

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbacheech
Hey Everyone,

I just finished mounting my Pelican cases, finally...!!! . Pics to come real soon . The only other thing I really want to do is the gussets but for now I won't overload/overpack.

Cumbacheech

Hi Everyone,

Here are some pics with my luggage set up. Now I just need to get the other windshield set up...

Cumbacheech

Pics: Adventure setup, SUMO setup, Dirt setup

Cumbacheech screwed with this post 09-27-2009 at 06:01 PM
Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:17 PM   #162
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
Looks good CC.
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:06 PM   #163
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,210
I've been looking at different types of bags for a while. I found these today and I'm considering them since they are water proof and cheaper than "motorcycle" bags.

http://www.seattlesportsco.com/produ...&idcategory=91

There are a few listed here.
http://store.thewaterproofstore.com/bags.html
*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:24 AM   #164
ravenranger
rave

Oddometer: 1,516
I've looked at bicycle panniers as well but they're usually priced PER SIDE instead of PER PAIR so they've always been about as expensive as mc bags by the time you get both sides. However, they do have interesting mounting hardware that should give folks some ideas.....
ravenranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:35 PM   #165
Spicy McHaggis
Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer: 3,789
So...consensus...what is the best luggage setup WITHOUT having to modify/reinforce the rear subframe???

I'm really leaning towards the DirtBagz because of the cost...and it doesn't appear that any subframe reinforcing is needed for them.