Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2015, 02:31 AM   #1
Mastery OP
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 1,377
Comfortable pants when long distance riding?

Usually wear regular jeans under my Klim Latitude Misano pants. Going to AK this year and looking at clothing to take. Planning to do a good amount of camping on the trip. Jeans take up so much room in the duffel bag and are pretty rigid feeling under the Klim.

Wondering what everybody else wears under their riding gear and/or when at camp instead of jeans. I'm thinking maybe the 5.11 utility pants would be good for traveling in; figured somebody out there had a good recommendation of what works for them, can get dirty in at times when camping, and still comfortable for all day wear. The frugal side of me is looking for a good cost-to-usage ratio.
Mastery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:52 AM   #2
Squidsix
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
I wear duluth "dry on the fly" pants under motorcycle pants for long trips.
They are very lightweight, very comfortable, and don't bind up the jewels under moto pants.
Squidsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:15 AM   #3
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,876
Not cheap at all, but I like them for wearing under my riding gear, especially when I'm in warmer climates and going to camp. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cloth...3Bcat104073480
It's hard to go wrong with convertible pants for functionality, IMHO.

My other favorites are actually the pants I wear 6-7 days a week even when not riding. Decent weight, won't bind up the jewels, teflon treated, and comfy. Not bad looking either. They have the versatility of a cargo pant but don't look baggy. http://tacticalgear.com/24-7-series-...-pants-khaki~1
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:24 AM   #4
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,634
any type of lightweight hiking type pants, either with the zip off legs or not. They don't take up much room, are very comfy, and dry fast.
for chilly evenings in camp, I'll wear my longjohns under them. And yes, I never travel without a pair of lightweight longjohns, even in august.
If it's hot out, I'll just wear shorts under my riding pants.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:34 AM   #5
bkg123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
I wear poly skivvies and a pair of OP poly swim trunks under my pants. Less sweating, and they don't stink (as much). And +1 on the longjohns. Ill wear those in the morning and switch to the swim trunks when it warms up.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:26 AM   #6
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerfish View Post
any type of lightweight hiking type pants, either with the zip off legs or not.
+1, if you're wearing some type of 'overpant' that you will be taking off when you get to your destination. Something like these.

If you're wearing more of a fitted pant, then maybe cycle shorts or a base layer / long john appropriate to the temps you'll be riding in. I like the EMS TeckWick stuff for this for the pricepoint, especially the light-weight stuff, though for colder weather I mostly have polypropylene or Hot Chilly stuff.
2008 Suzuki SV650n (Sold... I miss that bike...)
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:41 AM   #7
S21FOLGORE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
tactical pants

I wear tactical pants under Aerostich Roadcrafter.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/co-truspec-stcp-simply.html

I buy them at LA Police gear's closeout sale, around $20 / pair.
Never paid full retail price for the big name such as Blackhawk or 5-11.
http://www.lapolicegear.com/pants.html

More comfortable under the 'stich while riding, more comfortable off the bike.
Packs smaller, dries faster.
S21FOLGORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:05 AM   #8
Dewey316
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Under my riding pants, I wear different things depending on conditions.

I always carry under armor long johns and Nike hyper-cool compression tights. both are full length, and great as a base layer. With vents on the pants open, the hyper-cool tights actually keep me cooler on really hot days, then without them. The evaporation properties of good base layers are great went it gets really hot. The trade off, is the synthetics like that can get funky after multiple days of use, but they are super quick drying, so a gas station sink wash will do the job.

For camping / hiking / around town / backpacking / etc as an outer pant, stand alone or layered. Arc'teryx palisade pants. Super light, pack very small, keep the funk away, and do just enough of keeping the wind off the skin to work even when the temp drops a bit. Lots of brands and price points for pants like this. Key feature, make sure it isn't cotton, ideal here is nylon that breathes and maybe some stretch. I find polyester gets funky smelling faster than nylon, so I would look for nylon option. Just check, if it is a cotton or cotton blend pant, don't consider it.

Since I do both the moto camping trips, and backpacking. Most of my stuff is all meant for layering in both conditions. Everything I bring is meant as a layer in the system. Base layers, insulation layers, and weather protection layers. Luckily what works for one, works well for the other. Wool base layers also work really really well, pick a weight(s) that work for the conditions you expect. Ultralight wool base layers will work great under your riding pants even when it is hot, and add a nice extra layer around camp. The name of the game is the right layers for the right conditions.
Dewey316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:51 AM   #9
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,918
Long distance? Bicycle shorts. . ..
NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:33 AM   #10
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerfish View Post
any type of lightweight hiking type pants, either with the zip off legs or not. They don't take up much room, are very comfy, and dry fast.
for chilly evenings in camp, I'll wear my longjohns under them. And yes, I never travel without a pair of lightweight longjohns, even in august.
If it's hot out, I'll just wear shorts under my riding pants.

Either lightweight merino wool or LDComfort brand longs to wear as a base layer.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:35 AM   #11
mslim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
I second the "tactical pants" thread. Vertx Phantom LT. Gusset crotch, mini ripstop nyco blend for toughness, hidden leg pockets, no "mall ninja" look, very well made. Presentable in civilized surroundings. Around $60.

Slim
mslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:39 AM   #12
Mastery OP
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 1,377
Wow, appreciate all the great feedback. Will go through all the recommended suggested links.

With going to Alaska, I know I need to plan for days of hot, cold, humidity, rain, dryness, etc. That's why I was think a basic tactical style pant. I will be bringing along some medium weight Minus33 wool thermals...I may just look at a lighter version as well.
Mastery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:46 AM   #13
Dewey316
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
The only thing I would caution against with the tactical pants, is that many of them are cotton(or blended cotton), and cotton is a terrible idea, heavy, gets wet and stays wet. That is likely why you don't like jeans. Don't get a pant that is the same as jeans, just a different color, if it gets you the same issues as jeans.
Dewey316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:11 AM   #14
MotoDaveL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
Long distance? Bicycle shorts. . ..
yup, pair these with the non cotton zip off pants and you are good to go.
MotoDaveL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:38 AM   #15
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoDaveL View Post
yup, pair these with the non cotton zip off pants and you are good to go.
And some gold bond medicated powder. . ..

Helps with days 3, 4, 5. . ..
NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote