Old 04-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #661
jungleplant OP
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike View Post
The first liar doesn't have a chance.

Mike
we all have faith in you cigar, the weight of the entire XRL world is on your shoulders
who would have ever thought that the greatest problem facing us today would be solved by a
Spud a Jungleplant and a Cigar, so let it be written so let it be done
">

jungleplant screwed with this post 04-15-2012 at 07:27 PM
jungleplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #662
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,620
Quote:
Here is what I came up with.

...It is not a problem just slipping into place and making up the bolts. I believe that this design would allow the strut to be used with most if not all aftermarket pipes...
You might not believe me, Mike, but I suggested your very idea to Jungleplant at the beginning of this project. Even if my original attachment points accommodated aftermarket mufflers and pipes, I believed most XR650L owners would not want to drill a hole in the air box tab. However, I don't have a welder, so I helped Jungleplant develop the prototype struts with my original attachement points.

Does the name "Spud Cigar Struts" sound okay? How about "Cigar Spud Struts?"

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #663
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,620
Quote:
...After being a steamfitter for 40 years. I have done so much for for long with so little I am now qualified to do anything with nothing...

Quote:
...Seriously, I think we are pretty close now that I have received some clarification.

Cheers,

Mike
That's wonderful. I'm so glad you volunteered to help out, Mike. Another Achilles Heel of the XR650L is about to be healed.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #664
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
You might not believe me, Mike, but I suggested your very idea to Jungleplant at the beginning of this project. Even if my original attachment points accommodated aftermarket mufflers and pipes, I believed most XR650L owners would not want to drill a hole in the air box tab. However, I don't have a welder, so I helped Jungleplant develop the prototype struts with my original attachement points.

Does the name "Spud Cigar Struts" sound okay? How about "Cigar Spud Struts?"

Spud
That sounds OK, if I have no liability.

I went out and looked at the design again and I think it is good as is, except.

I would like to pick up the seat bolt.

And maybe have the angle of the strut coming down parallel to the piece that bolts onto the foot peg bolts. Everything would be in line with the direction of the force being applied..

I would also like it made out of heavier material to resist any chance of the strut bowing under load.

I would make both sides the same for ease of installation.

It is not up to me. It is jungleplant's party and I am just a guest.

Mike
Old 04-16-2012, 07:12 AM   #665
jungleplant OP
Motorcyle Stuff

Quote:
That sounds OK, if I have no liability.

I went out and looked at the design again and I think it is good as is, except.

I would like to pick up the seat bolt.

And maybe have the angle of the strut coming down parallel to the piece that bolts onto the foot peg bolts. Everything would be in line with the direction of the force being applied..

I would also like it made out of heavier material to resist any chance of the strut bowing under load.

I would make both sides the same for ease of installation.

It is not up to me. It is jungleplant's party and I am just a guest.

Mike
Spud did mention that way of building those before , but i had a full head of steam in the wrong direction, but you have pulled it back on track mike
I say give it your best shot it looks good from California, once i get them back we can cut some samples for a few guys , then if it all goes well , go into production, and start helping the XRL riders

jungleplant screwed with this post 04-16-2012 at 10:56 AM
jungleplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #666
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleplant View Post
Sud did mention that way of building those before , but i had a full head of steam in the wrong direction, but you have pulled it back on track mike
I say give it your best shot it looks good from California, once i get them back we can cut some samples for a few guys , then if it all goes well , go into production, and start helping the XRL riders
We will have to wait and see how it works out. It may turn out that you may still have the best idea. From what you have showed me I see no reason it would not work just as well if not better. Once you get these back you should be able to make them both ways and see what works best.

Mike

Cigar Mike screwed with this post 04-16-2012 at 07:59 AM
Cigar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #667
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,518
The only pictures I have of Lilli being tied up are here........

Your tie downs work great. I took her to Death Valley and then two weeks later to Kernville ~800 miles of truck time and they held perfectly. I have my buddy with an XR4 looking at buying a set, because they will fit (eye ball measurements)

After my last trip I had to take the dirts shoes off and put her street ones back on.

Thanks Mike!

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #668
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,010
Them tie downs are the cats crap! Even fit with the cr fork coversion with a little filing

On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #669
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Spud Struts

I am done with the strut and the modified strut will be on it's way to jungleplant tomorrow. If it follows the way most of the prototypes I work goes. It should only take two more fittings to get it right

I am surprised at how solid that strut is once it is bolted into place. I will feel confident in testing it out with the camping gear on the bike.

Get me the new struts soon. I have a trip planned.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #670
jungleplant OP
Motorcyle Stuff

Quote:
I am done with the strut and the modified strut will be on it's way to jungleplant tomorrow. If it follows the way most of the prototypes I work goes. It should only take two more fittings to get it right

I am surprised at how solid that strut is once it is bolted into place. I will feel confident in testing it out with the camping gear on the bike.

Get me the new struts soon. I have a trip planned.

Cheers,

Mike
I wont tell anybody that you have been PLAYING, whilest they have been waiting for there
KS is that a genuine ManRacks Case Guard on that pig mike
Old 04-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #671
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Quote:
I wont tell anybody that you have been PLAYING, whilest they have been waiting for there
KS is that a genuine ManRacks Case Guard on that pig mike
There are a few people waitng for centerstands. I thought I would work on something that put money in my pocket instead of yours for a day or two.

You know it is. And it is a fine piece of work. "Oh Lord it is hard to be humble, when you're perfect in everyway." Don't let it go to your head.

I am glad you mentioned it. I have to go clean off the excess silicone before we go ride tomorrow.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #672
jungleplant OP
Motorcyle Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
Them tie downs are the cats crap! Even fit with the cr fork coversion with a little filing

hey you got them to work we sent a set to CW and wattner , the Suzuki dr650 tiedowns fit the upper holes with those
new fangled fork ya have there
Old 04-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #673
jungleplant OP
Motorcyle Stuff

Quote:
There are a few people waitng for centerstands. I thought I would work on something that put money in my pocket instead of yours for a day or two.

You know it is. And it is a fine piece of work. "Oh Lord it is hard to be humble, when you're perfect in everyway." Don't let it go to your head.

I am glad you mentioned it. I have to go clean off the excess silicone before we go ride tomorrow.

Cheers,

Mike
I agree on all of that
Old 04-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #674
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,010
Quote:
hey you got them to work we sent a set to CW and wattner , the Suzuki dr650 tiedowns fit the upper holes with those
new fangled fork ya have there

I just had to elongate one of the holes an 1/8 inch or so. Easy Peasy as someone would say
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #675
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,518
Visit

I'll be in Lodi around the 3rd of August +/- a day. I am still finalizing the schedule. If you are around I'll share some and some .

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote