User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
Luma46 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Motto Guzzi Stelvio NTX

I am considering to replace my 2006 BMW 1200GS with the 2012 MG Stelvio NTX. I have done a lot of reading about the bike and so far I mostly like what I read and I am planning a test ride sometimes next month. There is one thing however that scares me off a bit a stated fuel consumption of 7.5 l/100 km. Now this is quite a bit for this size/type of a bike, I am getting as low as 4.5 l/100 on my 1200GS if I take it easy.
Is there a Stelvio NTX owner out there who can comment on this?
Cheers,
Luma46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
Hogslayer
motomaniac

Oddometer: 140
Being both interested in the new Triumph Tiger 1200 and the MG Stelvio NTX this was posted in the T1200 forum on 04/04/12

9-page group test in MCN (UK)

MPG figures (imperial)

47.56 GS
46.78 S10
45.33 T1200
45.05 V1000
44.32 990
43.51 XTourer
41.14 MS1200
39.98 NTX

I was surprised at the NTX mpg myself if this is true ,I never read the whole report but the NTX didn't seem to fair to well not sure why in their test it rated pretty low.... page 123 on the 1200 Tiger Explorer Thread.
Hogslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luma46 View Post
I am considering to replace my 2006 BMW 1200GS with the 2012 MG Stelvio NTX. I have done a lot of reading about the bike and so far I mostly like what I read and I am planning a test ride sometimes next month. There is one thing however that scares me off a bit a stated fuel consumption of 7.5 l/100 km. Now this is quite a bit for this size/type of a bike, I am getting as low as 4.5 l/100 on my 1200GS if I take it easy.
Is there a Stelvio NTX owner out there who can comment on this?
Cheers,
1. Searching for info will be helped by spelling "Moto" correctly. (We won't even GO into colour, centre, aluminium, labour, kerb, etc .)
2. Fuel consumption is directly related to how you ride the bike; the GS, being a souless, boring lump will like be ridden accordingly, while the Stelvio is an exhilarating thing of beauty and is inevitably ridden with brio (an Italian word with no connection to brie, which is a form of festering mouldy milk, over-run with bacteria .)
3. The NTX has a 32 litre tank - that's over 9 of your emaciated little US gallons; even with the best seat in the explored Universe (which is actually standard on an Aprilia Caponord, but the Stelvio comes close), I believe most asses will call Uncle before you run out of fuel.
4. Do not mention the lack of a Dealer Network; Guzzis are so reliable, that dealers are irrelevant and not neccesary except to deliver the bikes when new. Parts are best bought on the interweb, and all routine maintenance until the 500,000 mile service can be easily performed by the owner's mother. The 500,000 mile service MAY need an extra pair of hands.
5. Please do not ask about resale value - there isn't one, because the only time a previously-owned Stevio becomes available is through a deceased estate, whereafter it is immediately bought for an undisclosed sum by large men in tight suits, tighter sunglasses and expensive haircuts. And pointed shoes.

Just buy the thing already!
Old 04-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
3. The NTX has a 32 litre tank - that's over 9 of your emaciated little US gallons
8.45 of our emaciated little U.S. gallons to be picky....but point taken.

7.5l/100km is less than 32mpg, I have NO doubts the quattrovalvole is capable of 38-42mpg in average riding.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,549
Quote:
2. Fuel consumption is directly related to how you ride the bike; the GS, being a souless, boring lump will like be ridden accordingly, while the Stelvio is an exhilarating thing of beauty and is inevitably ridden with brio (an Italian word with no connection to brie, which is a form of festering mouldy milk, over-run with bacteria .)
Yeah, but most Guzzis return MPGs in the 40-ish range.

Quote:
3. The NTX has a 32 litre tank - that's over 9 of your emaciated little US gallons; even with the best seat in the explored Universe (which is actually standard on an Aprilia Caponord, but the Stelvio comes close), I believe most asses will call Uncle before you run out of fuel.
Actually, 32 litres is about 8.5 US gallons. So, at 40 mpg, that's 340 miles range.

Quote:
4. Do not mention the lack of a Dealer Network; Guzzis are so reliable, that dealers are irrelevant and not neccesary except to deliver the bikes when new. Parts are best bought on the interweb, and all routine maintenance until the 500,000 mile service can be easily performed by the owner's mother. The 500,000 mile service MAY need an extra pair of hands.
That's pretty much true, as long as you know which end of a hammer to swing, and which end of a screw driver to screw.

Quote:
5. Please do not ask about resale value - there isn't one, because the only time a previously-owned Stevio becomes available is through a deceased estate, whereafter it is immediately bought for an undisclosed sum by large men in tight suits, tighter sunglasses and expensive haircuts. And pointed shoes.
Who sells Guzzis, anyway? Not me...

Quote:
+1
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #6
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Just keep in mind how long it takes for a big Guzzi motor to really break in too.
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
DLdeano
Ridin' all I can

Oddometer: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Yeah, but most Guzzis return MPGs in the 40-ish range.
That's what I see; maybe a bit above 40mpg in the summer, a bit below in the winter running as set up below...love the bike, but would appreciate the bigger fuel tank the newer bike has.

DLdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #8
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogslayer View Post

MPG figures (imperial)

47.56 GS
46.78 S10
45.33 T1200
45.05 V1000
44.32 990
43.51 XTourer
41.14 MS1200
39.98 NTX

I was surprised at the NTX mpg myself if this is true ,I never read the whole report but the NTX didn't seem to fair to well not sure why in their test it rated pretty low.... page 123 on the 1200 Tiger Explorer Thread.
The only air cooled bike in the group?
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #9
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
The only air cooled bike in the group?
air/oil like the oilhead GS
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #10
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogslayer View Post
Being both interested in the new Triumph Tiger 1200 and the MG Stelvio NTX this was posted in the T1200 forum on 04/04/12

MPG figures (imperial)

47.56 GS
46.78 S10
45.33 T1200
45.05 V1000
44.32 990
43.51 XTourer
41.14 MS1200
39.98 NTX

Almost for sure they'll have been flogging the things.

The interesting figures for me would be recorded over a few hundred miles of touring along country roads together at 70-85mph.

In other words, all the bikes producing similar power, small throttle openings.

The order might be the same, but then again it might not.

A bike's being a bit thirsty when worked hard doesn't bother me much, as usually I won't be working a bike this big very hard. But I do care about how much it uses just cruising along.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:41 PM   #11
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Almost for sure they'll have been flogging the things.

The interesting figures for me would be recorded over a few hundred miles of touring along country roads together at 70-85mph.

In other words, all the bikes producing similar power, small throttle openings.

The order might be the same, but then again it might not.

A bike's being a bit thirsty when worked hard doesn't bother me much, as usually I won't be working a bike this big very hard. But I do care about how much it uses just cruising along.

At OUR pathetic, pedestrian, over-zealously over-policed speed limits? You won't barely get it off the idle jet - and certainly won't get the turbo spooled up.....
Expect under 5km per l100km, better if you pump the tyres and remove the 20' shipping container panniers. And the 270kg Yank off the saddle.
seriously, I expect those Pommies were flogging the bikes - and they were probably given a low-mileage bike and as has been said, you need a good 15-20,000km on the dial for Guzzi's to limber up.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:56 PM   #12
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,348
Quote:
1. Searching for info will be helped by spelling "Moto" correctly. (We won't even GO into colour, centre, aluminium, labour, kerb, etc .)

This has to be my 'favourite' post to date. Very well put mate!
brianwheelies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #13
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak View Post
Just keep in mind how long it takes for a big Guzzi motor to really break in too.

True that, my first tank on a new Stelvio was in the mid-20 mpg range. It didn't really break in until 2500 miles or so and then started getting mid to upper 40 mpg numbers. Most moto test stories that get printed are extremely short term and under 400 miles, impossible to even get a feel for the bike.
larryboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:07 AM   #14
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 756
Quote:

:)

I get roughly 42 mpg highway/constant speed roads, but didn't start getting that 'til the motor started to break in at around 10,000 miles.

The new NTX is supposed to be fueled much better, so there's no reason to believe it won't do at least as well if not better.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:24 AM   #15
Adam R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:

You just made me laugh loudly - brilliantly put, sir> I salute you!

I concur on every point too

Incidentally, my trip computer (read "guestimator") reckons a fairly reliable 42 mpg for my riding - lots of country roads and a little town riding with some motorway use now and again. People with more memory and interest think they are pessimistic though. Mine is on standard cans and lates map and is set up brilliantly, but would expect the later mapping to give better mpg still.

Just buy the bike though, seriously, once you make the shift you will probably become incurably infected with Guzzi love and the world will take on new depth of meaning.

Biased? Moi?

Adam R screwed with this post 04-13-2012 at 06:32 AM Reason: Thought I better add some detail in the hope it helps.
Adam R is offline   Reply With Quote