ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2015, 12:01 AM   #1
mach1mustang351 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Agressive DL650 Maintenance

I just put another 3,400 miles on the trusty 2007 V Strom and I am thinking about maintenance. I have had this bike since new and it has been taken care of, but if one were seeking a possible "zero failure" maintenance schedule what would be done and when?

When should things that fail be done before given the opportunity to fail?

Wheel bearings, steering head bearings, fork seals and fluid, swing arm bearings etc. Any help or advise appreciated here.
mach1mustang351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:53 AM   #2
rlkat
Mine's a whisky

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1mustang351 View Post
I just put another 3,400 miles on the trusty 2007 V Strom and I am thinking about maintenance. I have had this bike since new and it has been taken care of, but if one were seeking a possible "zero failure" maintenance schedule what would be done and when?

When should things that fail be done before given the opportunity to fail?

Wheel bearings, steering head bearings, fork seals and fluid, swing arm bearings etc. Any help or advise appreciated here.
For 'zero failure' replace everything, everyday and you should be fine.

Seriously though, just checking what you can regularly and following the recommended service schedule is the best thing to do. Some people do oil changes before the recommended period but I thinks it not necessary unless you're riding it hard. As long as you can recognise if something's not quite right you should be able to fix it before it lets you down. The vstrom has a very good reputation fo reliability. I nearly bought the 650 version but bought a TDM900 instead. Wish I'd bought the vstrom.
rlkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:23 AM   #3
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,793
Rear suspension linkage bearings, steering head bearings. Lube both sets and adjust the front.

Check the bolts on the steering stem that hold the front plastics on.

There really isn't a lot else.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 04:09 AM   #4
greywolf
Unpaved road avoider

Oddometer: 1,014
Install headlight relays. They will head off overtaxed connector and switch failure. The headlight cutout section in the starter switch especially likes to fail. http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-problems.html

Use anti seize on the rear axle nut to prevent galling and reduce the torque to 58lb-ft to make up for the lubrication effect. http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...ad-galled.html

Replacing the regulator/rectifier with a series rather than a shunt type could hold off stator failure. http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,20426.0.html

in order of ownership
1971 Honda CB350, 2 1973 Honda CB500s, one was stolen, 1974 Can-Am 175 TNT, 1978 Yamaha XS11, 1978 Honda CX500, 1975 BMW R90S, 1983 BMW R65LS, 2005 Suzuki DL650 totaled, 2007 Suzuki DL650A, 2012 Suzuki DL650A
greywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:51 PM   #5
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 4,072
Other Tips:
- Wheel Bearings : Check them everytime you change tires, if they feel the slightest bit gritty or rough replace them.
- Wheel Bearing Seals : Same as above, the spacers should fit snug, pack some grease in behind them before putting wheels back on bike after tire change
- Brake Pads: Visually inspect often, close inspection with each oil change. I had a set of pads go from good to gone in under 3K for no apparent reason.
Air filter: Depends on your riding, just street commuting change every 10K more dirt then do more often.
- Chain Adjuster Blocks : Remove the end cap and anti-sieze the long bolt. This is a one time thing
- Counter-shaft Seal : Check with every chain replacement. I assume you religiously lube the chain
- Cush Drive Bumpers : check and lube with lithium grease with every tire change (your already in there so why not)
- Clutch Cable: Lube it once a year, if you ride in rain then twice. Check fro fraying at both end each oil change
- Clutch Actuator: That lever thing the cable is attached too, that should be taken off the bike cleaned and greased about once a year, make sure it is adjusted properly too
- Valves: every 16-18K miles

I pretty much did this and had over 135K miles on my strom (same year as yours) when I got rid of it. They bike is still being ridden to this day by the new owner.
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:18 PM   #6
greywolf
Unpaved road avoider

Oddometer: 1,014
It's best not to lube control cables except for grease on the barrel ends. The cables are Teflon lined and lube just attracts dust and turns it into grinding paste.

in order of ownership
1971 Honda CB350, 2 1973 Honda CB500s, one was stolen, 1974 Can-Am 175 TNT, 1978 Yamaha XS11, 1978 Honda CX500, 1975 BMW R90S, 1983 BMW R65LS, 2005 Suzuki DL650 totaled, 2007 Suzuki DL650A, 2012 Suzuki DL650A
greywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:20 PM   #7
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 4,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
It's best not to lube control cables except for grease on the barrel ends. The cables are Teflon lined and lube just attracts dust and turns it into grinding paste.
That is a good point, I was referring to the cable specific dry lube that is injected into the housing. I should have been more specific.
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote