Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2011, 06:40 PM   #16
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoldArt View Post
If you want to be manly, get the GTS. The frame is bigger, the wheels are bigger and the motor is bigger (278cc). You won't look too big for it even if you are over 6' tall, and it still looks properly proportional. You will have enough motor to stay with any traffic, city or highway. Top speed is between 75 and 80 mph (gps, indicated is 10% higher). I have a 250 and typically get between 70 and 75 miles per gallon.

The main drawback is it chews through rear tires in less than 4,000 miles. But it handles great and is fun in the twisties while still useful around town.

Look for a good used one - new ones can be pricey (def. over $6,000).

It is probably the smoothest ride you will ever find.
Hmm, I've got 6,800 on my GTS 250's rear tire and its still got tread though I did have to replace the front due to a tread pop. FWIW, we have quite a few folks in the scooter group I ride with in Houston that have considerably bigger bikes sitting in their garages while they RIDE their Vespas.

It's my favorite in town ride and did well on the 1,280 mile trip to Amerivespa and back.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:48 PM   #17
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,695
I ride a Shadow and a Zuma. The Zuma is a lot more fun to ride. Yep, I catch shit from coworkers and my family. I don't care.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:32 AM   #18
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 1,968
My son-in-law comes from good German stock, in other words he's 6ft7 and 8 pick-handles across the shoulders!

He HATES scoots, but loved his GSX1400, so when I came round with my daughter's scoot all fixed up after a slight "down-the-road" she had (and after a few Dr Pulley tweaks), I told him to ride the thing before his darling wife did, just to check it.

He came back 30mins later with a bloody huge grin, coming round the corner he looked a lot like a large bearded gorilla riding a tricycle, bloody funny!

He still won't admit he had fun, give him another 20 years and he won't care.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:14 AM   #19
Raff33
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Mate, all you need to worry about is how you compare to cagers, not other blokes on bigger bikes. I grew up riding trail bikes in the country and then got my license as a 17 year old skinhead with a sparkly Lambretta so the way I see it as long as you are on two wheels and all you have to exert is your right wrist to get some speed up then you are way ahead of the curve...

Plus in my experience, the kinda girls who are attracted to scoots, at least of the classic variety, are a lil more refined than your average biker moll (not that there is anything wrong with that)

Plus now that ive taken a look at your profile and have discovered you are a fellow Australian (although one of them westerners) and also that you own a cb350 then it would take you showing up at the front door when one of these people knocked in ladies underthings to even come close to just breaking even.
Raff33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:53 AM   #20
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

HA!HA! Nothing wrong with Westerner's mate, we got our side of the Nullabor, you got yours!

Damn I need a scoot bad, summers coming up, it was 30*C here yesterday.
Reminded me of all the work I hafta do to fix the V-wobble, then find a scoot to ride up footpaths (we do have one where I live), and zing around between the roos.

To the OP, get a scoot, ride one, you'll be hooked.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:08 AM   #21
Raff33
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Sorry Rod, looks like Ive merged you and the OP into the same entity somehow lol.

There is anational scooter run over in Perth in the next few weeks I think, more of the anorak classic crowd than I tend to ride with but it would be a craic regardless,

If you are after a scoot I might be able to have my arm twisted for one of mine in the nearish future... there is an ex army xt600 that another member has in the for sale section which is making me check all my credit cards to see how much cash I can scratch up...
Raff33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:11 AM   #22
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Gday Raff.
PM sent.

I' am gonna be in SSSOOOO much trouble.......
Old 08-28-2011, 03:58 PM   #23
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,515
You really have to ride a scooter to get it. If your friends and kids have never given one a try their opinions don't hold much water.

I run into a lot of riders who started out on bikes and moved on to scooters but I rarely run into a scooter rider who has given up scooters and goes solely with a motorcycle.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:39 PM   #24
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,695
Yep, now that I have a scooter I doubt that I will ever be without one! I may end up without a motorcycle at some point though.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:06 PM   #25
Godders
Crazy Pom in Aus

Oddometer: 297
go the scooter..

i've not been lucky enough to score a rode on a vespa but geez i love the look of them, always have done as a kid growing up and had pics of them over my bedroom wall. Having grown up in the UK, scoots are big over there, alas it's not the same here.

I'm on my 3rd scoot now in 3years, i have a scarabeo 300 - a lovely machine. I've been there with the bikes, FJ12oo, f650, klr 650, a few others but i just love the scoot, easy to ride, plenty fast enough. Sure i get 'hassle' from the people at work but i don't care lol

If I had the $ i'd have a 1200GS and a scoot but reality is the scoot suits perfectly...next trade will be one a burger or majesty but shhh don't tell the Mrs

Brisbane, Qld, AU
2014 KLR650EEF - LED tail light, Wolfman luggage
former04 KLR650 A18 http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smal...ric/248519.png
Godders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:08 AM   #26
mullman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
I have a Vespa GTS300 and love it.
Fantastic to commute on or run to the grocery.
Heck, I rode it to the Deals Gap a few weeks ago, and regularly to the BRP & foothills.
Frankly I would not hesitate to ride it anywhere.

I've never had a GS (my wanderlust), but I have had an HD, & ~7 BMWs.

The big Vespa is an amazingly well-engineered machine with a high level of fit and finish.

mullman screwed with this post 08-31-2011 at 07:23 AM
mullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:42 AM   #27
CaribouCases
Boulder CO

Oddometer: 1,196
We have a Vespa LX150 here at the shop that gets daily use around town running errands. Getting on a big BMW GS, or getting into my Toyota truck on a 90+ degree day in the constantly insane stop-and-go traffic in this town makes no sense at all. The Vespa is absolutely the way to go. I will admit it took a while to get over feeling a bit silly on a scooter, but it passed quickly. My neighbors and friends only laughed once, now they just wave. Occasionally I do get bullied on the road by cagers that don't like anything on two wheels, so you'll have to have some thicker skin and get the heck out of there when they get angry. Attitudes are slowly changing about basic around-town transportation given the higher costs of everything these days. In fact, I've become so enamored with the Vespa that we are coming out with a few new storage-related products for it (Shameless Product Plug Warning)...

Glove Box Liner....

If you are a big dude then you may want to go larger than the LX150. I'm 5-9 and 170lbs and the LX150 fits fine. I must admit I do not go ATGATT on the Vespa, especially on a hot day, a personal choice. I am also a big fan of the timeless style of the Vespa, even though the modern ones have gotten a bit plasticky. There is a thread here titled something like "What's better a small bike or scooter" that has a ton of good advice.

-rog
Made in Boulder, Colorado USA
PH: 303-786-8947 Mon-Sat 8:00am-5:00pm Mountain Time Zone
CaribouCases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:15 PM   #28
rifflebox
Yee Haw!

Oddometer: 203
Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimo368 View Post
I recently bought a Vespa 250GTS to add to my other bikes (TL1000S and ST1300) and have been getting the usual gruff from the guys at work about the scooter and the fact that I wear ATGATT. The fact is that the scoot if so darn fun to ride that I cant get off of the thing. After 30 plus years of riding, racing, touring and wrenching they still think I should be riding a "real" bike, (Harley) and be wearing a pirate costume.
I've got the same one (black n' tan). With the a milk crate on the back rack and a wind screen. It pulls 55mph up a big hill on my way to town and can easily do 65 elsewhere. It carries a lot of stuff between the crate and the "pet" compartment under the seat. So easy...

Twist n' Go Baby!
rifflebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #29
Jimo368
intrepid traveller

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifflebox View Post
I've got the same one (black n' tan). With the a milk crate on the back rack and a wind screen. It pulls 55mph up a big hill on my way to town and can easily do 65 elsewhere. It carries a lot of stuff between the crate and the "pet" compartment under the seat. So easy...

Twist n' Go Baby!
Mine came with the matching Vespa trunk and a super tall windscreen. I took them off, but was thinking of cutting the windscreen down to about "nose" height for the colder weather coming. Which windscreen do you have on yours and how does it work?
Jimo368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #30
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,523
I wouldn't get a big scooter. I think that's a mistake. The beauty of the scooter is that it's tiny. You can park it on the sidewalk. It fits in a corner of the garage. If you get a big scooter (over 150) you might as well get a motorcycle.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote