Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #31
Hypochondrius
pretentious hipster

Oddometer: 254
Engine size isn't the crux, it's body size. I agree in broad strokes about maxi scooters being underpowered and ugly motorcycles, although they still have some advantages for some people.

I'd love to have an infinitely large engine if only it would fit inside a standard size scooter body. Man, could you imagine how much ass a litre Vespa would kick?
Hypochondrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:06 AM   #32
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 2,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypochondrius View Post
Man, could you imagine how much ass a litre Vespa would kick?
Uhmmm, probably your own, when the little thing high-sided you over that rubbish bin, through your neighbours rose garden, and rolled you through his picture window.........and that's before you've left your own driveway.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:09 AM   #33
kconville
Avant Guard Dog

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
I wouldn't get a big scooter. I think that's a mistake. The beauty of the scooter is that it's tiny. You can park it on the sidewalk. It fits in a corner of the garage. If you get a big scooter (over 150) you might as well get a motorcycle.
The first part I agree with. The over 150cc part, not so much.

Quote:
Engine size isn't the crux, it's body size.
uh hmm, that's right.
'11 Vespa GTS300
kconville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:42 AM   #34
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by kconville View Post
The first part I agree with. The over 150cc part, not so much.

uh hmm, that's right.
Yeah, that makes sense. I guess I've never seen a big engine jammed into a small scooter. From what I've seen once you get above 150 you are looking at a small step-through motorcycle, whcih doesn't make sense to me.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:46 AM   #35
rifflebox
Yee Haw!

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimo368 View Post
Mine came with the matching Vespa trunk and a super tall windscreen. I took them off, but was thinking of cutting the windscreen down to about "nose" height for the colder weather coming. Which windscreen do you have on yours and how does it work?
Hi Jimo,

I've lost the invoice, but I am pretty sure this is the windscreen:

http://www.scooterwest.com/items/?_p...reen-CLEAR/196

Here's a pic of the bike:

I wasn't sure about the height so I decided to ride it a while before making changes. It works well and doesn't buffet my head (I'm about 5' 10") so I will probably leave it alone. I also think it gives me a few more mph at speed due to better streamlining. The top of the screen can interfere with my vision if I am looking down but in ordinary riding it is fine. I am not crazy about how it looks but I am sure it will look better when it gets colder and wetter around here this fall/winter. I suppose I could remove it during the good months and put it back during the bad.

Here is another pic from the back. I used really thick zip-ties to mount the milk carton. Black would probably look better, but I kinda like the blue.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:38 AM   #36
deezildennis
Its a what?

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Man, could you imagine how much ass a litre Vespa would kick?

Yes....Yes I can!

deezildennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:02 PM   #37
LandPirateMBC
Full blown child

Oddometer: 163
I think most scooterist also own or once owned motorcycles as well. everything has its purpose. I have a yamaha 750 vtwin for the fast highway rides but i love my lambretta for when i just really wanna go out and have fun on a bike
LandPirateMBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:38 PM   #38
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Yeah, that makes sense. I guess I've never seen a big engine jammed into a small scooter. From what I've seen once you get above 150 you are looking at a small step-through motorcycle, whcih doesn't make sense to me.
My Sport City 250 has the same 53" wheelbase as my Kymco Super 8 150 ( and the Super 8 50 as well)
The vespa 250/300 GTS is also fairly small. On the other hand, the Kymco Xciting 250 is a big maxi-scoot with a 250cc engine. It's not just the size of the motor.

Personally, I prefer the smaller more agile traditional scooters over the maxi scooters but the maxi scooters are also unique and not the same as a similar sized motorcycle at all.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:16 PM   #39
LandPirateMBC
Full blown child

Oddometer: 163
Anyone seen any of those yambretta builds? thats the best example of a small scoot with a very big motor i have ever seen. I've owned a rd350 and i cant even imagine the power that motor would have if i put it in my lambretta
LandPirateMBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:40 PM   #40
Raff33
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Those Rosser lammies were pretty mad in their day. I think I still have the original article about em in scootering magazine from back in the late 80s early 90s. Unfortunately the bloke that built em had a few dramas and I think he ended up topping himself.

I remember going to an engineering shop here in Melbourne shortly after reading the article and getting some pretty puzzled looks when I tried to explain that I wanted them to shoehorn an rd donk into a 20 year old italian shopping trolley lol.

While they were insanely fast they were also notoriously full of bugs (which is pretty understandable when you think about it). I have a vespa smallframe with a quattrini M1l engine in it that supposedly pushes out around 18bhp and that is quick enough fer me...
Raff33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #41
DynaSport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
I was over in Daytona a few years back during Biketoberfest having some Motolights installed on my Harley. I was talking to the guy doing the install and asked him what kind of bike he rode. He told me he had bought one of the new at the time Concours 14s. Then he told me he rarely rode it as he preferred his Suzuki Burgman. I was pretty surprised, but he said for the riding he mainly did the Burgman was easier and more fun. I know it is about as maxi a scooter as you can get, but he sure enjoyed it.
DynaSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:54 PM   #42
TINGLER
Swamp lips

Oddometer: 143
My take on it is that no scooter is "manly" and that's the point. Check the ego at the door and get to experience what motorcycling should be about........fun. Cheap, stupid, kid-like fun.

I just bought my second scooter. The first one I bought was a Zuma 50cc "for my wife". She learned to ride on it, but I've put most of the miles on it. I look like a linebacker riding a tricycle on it. Stupid. I love it though and simply do not care.

Tonight I bought a Kymco 125 agility. It's about the same size and a little quicker. This one is straight up for me, I'm not even using my wife as a cover excuse. Yes, I like scooters. I like having fun on two wheels. Scooters are very fun.

Get the scooter.
TINGLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:27 AM   #43
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by TINGLER View Post
My take on it is that no scooter is "manly" and that's the point. Check the ego at the door and get to experience what motorcycling should be about........fun. Cheap, stupid, kid-like fun.

I just bought my second scooter. The first one I bought was a Zuma 50cc "for my wife". She learned to ride on it, but I've put most of the miles on it. I look like a linebacker riding a tricycle on it. Stupid. I love it though and simply do not care.

Tonight I bought a Kymco 125 agility. It's about the same size and a little quicker. This one is straight up for me, I'm not even using my wife as a cover excuse. Yes, I like scooters. I like having fun on two wheels. Scooters are very fun.

Get the scooter.
Amen!

That post sums it all up in a nutshell.

I`ve been riding motorcycles for 30 years now and recently bought my first ever 'scooter' in the form of my 650 Burgman Executive.
It`s so much fun that it`s pretty much the only 2 wheeler that I`m always gagging to ride out of the bunch that I own.

Phuck the phonies,the part timers and the weekend warriors (sunny only) with their 'unmanly/gay' comments because they`re just insecure poseurs.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:01 PM   #44
lowbuckrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
My name is Mike, I ride a scooter because I want to!
lowbuckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:36 AM   #45
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

Oddometer: 303
I've never ridden a classic style Vespa but I've spent some time on my '09 MP3-500 and agree that scoots are a lot of fun. To date I haven't been on any really long rides on it, mostly 100 miles or less but always enjoyable. The MP3 series tend to garner a lot of comments due to their odd 3-wheel configuration and sometimes that can be a bit much. Still the folks who are interested are just being honest and I think are deserving of a couple of minutes answering questions.

BTW, for those dumb-ass people who comment on my scooter versus their particular ride I always reply casually "Yeah you're right, it sure as hell isn't as fast as my Ducati." I've yet to receive further remarks, they generally find it's time for them to move on making as much racket as possible. To date I've never had anyone question my sexuality because of what I ride so I'm surprised to hear about that. With nearly 60 years of riding all sorts of beasties I thought I'd heard it all but that truly takes the cake. Tell 'em to stuff it I'd say.

Having said that there's a nice Aprilia scooter in my area that's come on line for what seems a reasonable price and I may just have to have it. That's probably inviting disaster as I may like it better than the MP3...

LL75
larrylarry75 is offline   Reply With Quote