ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2014, 08:46 PM   #1
kwisn OP
One Happy Dog

Oddometer: 8,933
Baby Hawks

OK, I know this is a motorcycle forum but this was too cool not to share.
Complimentary motorcycle picture.

Now that's that is out of the way....
Last Saturday morning I was feeding the horses when I heard a commotion in the woods and saw two red tail hawks chasing an adult bald eagle. Wow, that's really cool seeing that close up.
I then go fishing with Masterchief all day and then go to a BBQ that night. When we get home just before dark, I'm feeding the girls again and I see something in the pasture just on the other side of the fence that usually isn't there. On further inspection, it turns out to be juvenile red tail hawk. I surmise (I'm smart) that the eagle knocked the baby hawk out the nest and it ends up here, not too far from the base of tree. I get Karen (who knows all things critter) and we corral the little devil in a towel and then a box. He doesn't look too great. Not any fight when I picked him up and looks cold and hungry. I'm sorry but I couldn't take any pics as I figured the poor guy wouldn't make it.
Karen got in contact with Wolf Hollow and they sent out a volunteer to pick Pierce up Sunday morning and fly him to Friday Harbor ASAP. You remember Hawkeye, right?
I called yesterday and hawkboy is doing OK, not great, but with a positive prognosis. WooHoo!
Tonight I'm mowing and what do I almost run over but another red tail hawk kid. I grab him, know who to call, put him up and go on with my mowing. When I'm finished I come back and he's escaped. He's in great shape evidently. I follow the screams of the squirrels and pick him up and secure him better this time.
Hunnicutt waiting for the ride to the airport.

Yea, so he's pissed. That's a good sign.

Yes, well, I’m polymerised tree sap, and you’re an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off of me, returns on its original trajectory, and adheres to you. SC
kwisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:55 PM   #2
Trinity_Session
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
LOL. One angry bird.
Trinity_Session is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:59 PM   #3
XtreemLEE
Member #476

Oddometer: 2,268
Way to go!
"And the freedom of speech we try to defend goes to the core of one of my very deepest beliefs: the best information is uncovered with open, spirited debate. Better to grow thicker skin than to risk repressing information--just ask John Adams and Thomas Jefferson." Chris Macaskill
XtreemLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:57 PM   #4
Tom Edison
No hurry, no worry

Oddometer: 2,356
Nice JOB!
Old 06-11-2014, 04:19 AM   #5
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,698
Very cool. I hope they get stronger and are able to be released soon.
"Be real careful which and who's dream you get caught up in!!!" ~ Jettn Jim
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:36 AM   #6
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,465
Is that why that chicken you BBQ'ed the other day tasted funny....
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:24 AM   #7
kwisn OP
One Happy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Very cool. I hope they get stronger and are able to be released soon.
The folks at the rehab facility said they would bring them back here to release them.

Yes, well, I’m polymerised tree sap, and you’re an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off of me, returns on its original trajectory, and adheres to you. SC
Old 06-11-2014, 09:01 AM   #8
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,851
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:15 AM   #9
HellsAlien
a has-been that never-was

Oddometer: 2,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwisn View Post
The folks at the rehab facility said they would bring them back here to release them.
The squirrels will be pissed!
HellsAlien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:19 PM   #10
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,538

I'm buying you some beers for all that - thanks!

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:59 PM   #11
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwisn View Post
"Be real careful which and who's dream you get caught up in!!!" ~ Jettn Jim
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:32 PM   #12
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,973
Thanks for saving the Hawks. Get my brother, Glassman, tell his story of saving an adult Red Tail, about 40 yrs ago.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:20 PM   #13
kwisn OP
One Happy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by guns_equal_freedom View Post
Is that why that chicken you BBQ'ed the other day tasted funny....
" Funny how? I mean, funny like I'm a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I'm here to f*ckin' amuse you? How da f*ck am I funny? What da f*ck is so funny about me? Tell me. Tell me what's funny."

Old 06-11-2014, 08:09 PM   #14
WetSideRider
Recidivist Dirtbag

Oddometer: 1,131
Wise move using the thick gloves. I'd have worn eye protection too. ATTGATT for birds. I'm not likely to run over one a those with a mower down here in the 'burbs. Cool!
WetSideRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:38 PM   #15
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 13,274
Can't find any pics,,too long past,,but my wife and I spotted a bald eagle beside the road not acting quite normal.
We turned the car around and drove back to see that it had apparently been hit by a car or truck, and part of the scalp was peeled off the bird's skull. Half its head was bare bone showing.
I got out of the wife's car and walked toward the eagle,,it could not fly, and the best it could do was try to hop along in the brush beside the highway so I kinda herded it away from the road over toward a barbed wire fence. I followed from about 20 feet away, and it managed to jump up onto the fence, where it sat hissing at me. Good sign I figgered. I walked back to the car, and waited beside the road while my wife drove to the nearest farm to use the phone to call the ODFW rescue people.
They showed up a long while after my wife returned to the scene, and brought with them a huge wooden box, and several of the "furniture mover's quilts" which the wrapped the raptor in,after netting it with a big fishing type net,, and stuffed him into the box for a ride to the bird hospital.
We asked to be informed about the outcome of his treatment, and we were told a couple weeks later that the eagle had survived, but would spend the rest of his days at a raptor center due to loss of sight in one eye and some other complications with flight balance.
Anytime I see a Bald Eagle in flight, I remember that poor bird, and wish it could be him flying high above!
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote