Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #136
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly View Post

The Super Tenere did nothing for me, I found it boring and weird with all the plastic out front. It handled pretty well, but it didn't speak to me. I guess there's more to life than reliability.

Of course, having said that, the voltage regulator puked on me yesterday. Ah well, bikes ARE machines, I guess.

Ski
Trailers and broken up rides are always and option.

When it didn't speak to you were you listening for failing wheel bearings, bad ECUs, the fuel
pump quiting, wires grounding out on the frame, the sound of your leg on fire????

The sound you didn't hear was a motorcycle doing what it does day in and day out asking only
for some gas and a destination.

I only tease because I know you and I like to read the rationalizations of "Hey it made it 6 months
without breaking. Maybe I'll keep it. Oh shit never mind."
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #137
sscol
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTucker View Post
I'm still thinking about this, it has stranded me more than once but I really enjoy riding it.
I did however pick up another bike to try out, I liked the test ride, whole lot different than the uly. Hopefully I will like it as I really wanted something with a 19in front wheel and a narrower rear wheel for gravel and dirt. I'll have to ride it a bit and see how it goes, the uly may stay as well.
So what did you pick up?
sscol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #138
SkiFastBadly OP
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
"Hey it made it 6 months
without breaking. Maybe I'll keep it. Oh shit never mind."
We're talking about motorcycles, not your marriage.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:03 PM   #139
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly View Post
We're talking about motorcycles, not your marriage.
Oh, then that would be 6 months without any. There is a difference.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #140
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
The 990 SMT would be the one that would suit you best, I think, Dr. Greg. It is very much pavement oriented. Its currently at the top of my wish list, but would be financially imprudent at the moment, so I secured an XB12XT for about a third the price that an SMT would run (pesky student loans).
The things I really liked about my Uly was it was light, narrow, handled very well, upright SM-like seating position,torquey twin. I did not trust the Uly reliability at all so I tried to find something with all he same good traits but more dependable. Closest thing I could find was KTM 950 SM....love it. handles even better, better motor, same seating position, much more dependable..
Old 08-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #141
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
The sound you didn't hear was a motorcycle doing what it does day in and day out asking only
for some gas and a destination.
My Uly hasn't had a problem in nearly 20k miles... change plugs, oil, filters and clean the air filter. Throw tires on every once in a while and that's all I've had to do.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #142
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedient View Post
My Uly hasn't had a problem in nearly 20k miles... change plugs, oil, filters and clean the air filter. Throw tires on every once in a while and that's all I've had to do.
Knock on the closest piece of wood. You and several other posters have had an exceptional
good ownership experience. Good for you. I mainly tease Skifast because I know the history
of his bike and why he originally started this thread. When the Ulys are running well the owners
love em. When they have a series of spoiled rides they start looking for greener grass.
I would too. Bullet proof means more to me more and more.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #143
Rider2898
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronandkat View Post

Dislikes
Low speed stutter (I havent played with maps or done a TPS reset yet, I think that will help)

I would recommend doing the breather reroute. It really helped on my 07 uly. The lurchy stutter that happened at low rpms got much better.
I really really really loved that bike, but life changes and finances dictated that the uly had to go. I'm back on a SV650 again. Good bike but doesn't match the uly in the touring or handling department. I miss the personality that that big lumpy engine had. I don't miss having a bike that was always having mechanical issues though. Still, every time a uly rides by I end up bouncing up and down in my seat like a little kid pointing out the uly to the wife :)
Old 08-15-2012, 10:51 PM   #144
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,197
Ah, Love Hate is a great description for the Uly.

I've never ridden a bike that is flat out as much FUN as my '08 XT. Seating position, handling, torque, looks, it's everything I wanted in a motorcycle...except...

I don't trust it.

My previous ride was a 1997 Concours. Probably the best motor vehicle I've ever owned. I put around 60,000 miles on it, and even when it broke, it NEVER left me stranded. I rode that thing from St. Louis to South Dakota back to Minneapolis on two cylinders when I had an ignition coil short out in a rainstorm.

Everything that's gone wrong with the Uly was minor, and easy to fix, but I just have such an uneasy feeling about it. It has left me stranded, and like many Buell riders, parts are a PITA since the shutdown. I wish I'd bought an FJR or C14 in hindsight, but I'll be riding the Uly for the next three years or so, hoping that I can get parts if something goes wrong. I just bought a new Jeep (wanted one for years) and the agreement with my wife was that I not be getting a new bike for some time.
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:43 AM   #145
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,381
You girls need to upgrade your man-skills.

Lornce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #146
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,504
My problem is, I can't decide weather I want to ride the wheels off of it or keep it nice. I thinks it gets cooler and more unique everyday so it's hard for me to waste it riding back and forth to work. Currently I use a scooter for commuting and use the Uly for weekend back road blasts which is where it shines.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #147
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastroman View Post
My problem is, I can't decide weather I want to ride the wheels off of it or keep it nice.
Why not do both? Ride the wheels off of it, keep it clean, fix what breaks, do a top-end engine overhaul when it needs it at ~100k miles. Repeat.

The generic parts (suspension, bearings, tires, etc.) will always be available. We share enough engine parts with Sportsters that you should be able to get gaskets, rings, valves, etc. for the forseeable future. I expect that the expendable items that are Buell exclusive (engine isolators, throttle & clutch cables, electronics) will be (or already are) available from aftermarket suppliers by the time HD cuts us off. Ebay's there for the big stuff in the event of a catastrophy (frame, swingarm, etc.).
Old 08-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #148
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscol View Post
So what did you pick up?
Aprilia Caponord. Man I like odd ball bikes.

JTucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #149
RealOldDualSportGuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Ride it till it falls apart

We are on our 3rd Buell since the fall of 2005.

120K +/- total miles,

2 Flats
1 Head Headlight Bulb (low beam)
1 Heated Grip replacement
2 Broken Hard Bag Latches
Fuel
Tyers

No bearings
No batteries
No bad shocks

Add fuel, change the oil and ride

Yes, we tinker and modify, but that is the object of a hobby.

There are more after market parts suppliers today than in 2010 when HD dumped Buell

Buy One

Ride It

ENJOY

Of Course YRMV
Old 08-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #150
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,001
I'm keeping my Ulysses, too much invested in it anyway. When the crank took a dump, I could have parted it out, but it would have taken forever to get rid of. I don't think I could have recouped enough money to buy another decent bike. I figured I was only $1K away from riding it again. I couldn't have sold it the way it was either. I enjoy riding it. Seeing other Buells on the road bring a smile and a wave.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote