Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2011, 09:52 AM   #16
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 612
Hey Skifast' - Sorry for all your Uly troubles...but Damn Man, you gotta quit drinkin the coolaid! As you know, I'm also a recovering Uly owner. Though I gotta say, i had 28K pretty trouble free miles out of my 08' - well, at least the last 20K anyhow. I did enjoy that machine - but with 5 bikes in the garage and wifes car sitting out all last winter, & to secure a measure of "domestic tranquility" for this winter - something had to give. Just have the 2 tigers now - 06' Girlie & 11' XC. I think you're on the right track in considering a tiger as replacement. I rode a 1050 before I bought the 955, and liked it. This was in 09' - way before the 800 was unveiled. My thinking at the time was I wanted a dirtroad worthy touring machine - the Girlie had better tire selection with the 19" front wheel & plenty of performance from the litre triple. Now - with the addition of the 800 in the line up - & I had a "do over" - I'd probably go with the 1050 for touring and the 800 for dirt road / camping / fishing adventures. HOWEVER: If you're looking at a ONE bike replacement that will do dirt roads AND be a capable adventure tourer - the late model Girlies would be worth looking at. An 06' if possible, as it had the cast tubeless wheels,1050 cases & head, and breather reroute, and after 15K mi, has been pretty trouble free. After a Uly, ST1300, Kawi 1500 classic, I did enjoy NOT lubing a chain - But the KLR at least kept me in practice. I do like the 800 - but if I could only have 1 machine, & wanted to limit my economic trauma to between 5 & 7 K$ - I'd probably get a Girlie, with the Roadie as my second choice. Either one would would be a Good choice. (PS: My riding partner has an 08' 12GS with 35K trouble free miles - but you're simply not going to get one for the price of a good tiger) Just got back from a 2 week Fishing trip thru Id, Mt, Wy - Girlie is crying for some warm water & soap and relief from 6" thick bug gut coating. Good luck with your next aquisition. Toodles, j
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:09 AM   #17
Supertoon2
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I had my Uly for three years, tried a Dl1000 for all of 2 months and now am enjoying this. Basically a perfect "uly"
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2011, 12:59 PM   #18
dgrs2
Where'd I leave my knee??

Oddometer: 1,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertoon2 View Post
I had my Uly for three years, tried a Dl1000 for all of 2 months and now am enjoying this. Basically a perfect "uly"
That's what I would have suggested. Rode one recently and it is as close to the Uly as you could get. KTM SMT990.

Smokin Hole Rally creator

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767567
dgrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:20 PM   #19
DLdeano
Ridin' all I can

Oddometer: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarson View Post
Did you ever give a Stelvio a look over? ...There are definitely some parallels, and some diffs, but this "Italian Harley" charms in ways few bikes can.
+1...different bikes with lots in common. I loved my Uly, but am easily as smitten with the Guzzi. My Stelvio has been trouble free for the close to 8k miles I have put on it. It is diiferent, great fun to ride, runs well and does everything...not to mention there are some good deals out there.

DLdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:21 PM   #20
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyMedic View Post
Good in the twisties, even better than the Uly I might add.
I find that hard to believe. More reliable, more power sure but a Super Tenere better in the twisties?
I guess I'm going to have to ride one and see. Is it an appliance like all the Japanese bikes I've ever ridden?

I've been checking this thread out as I know I'll need a replacement for the uly one day, hopefully there will be some other bikes available by the time I need something because nothing really appeals to me right now. The 800xc is pretty nice but they're kind of small for two-up and the subframe welded on scares me. The Stelvio is a nice looking bike as well, it probably has the character I'm looking for.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:31 PM   #21
SkiFastBadly OP
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Wow. I dig that KTM. The Stelvio too. Damnit, this is going to be harder than I thought.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:38 AM   #22
SayItAintSo
Wanna be

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by elementalg20 View Post
I'll just toss this one out there, Multistrada 1200 anyone?
Thats what I did. I went from a Uly to the Multi 1200 and couldn't be happier. I loved my Uly and would probably still have it if I hadn't followed a friend to the Daytona BMW/Triumph/Ducati dealer when he was trading his ST1300 on a Multi. The dealer knew EXACTLY what he was doing when he suggested I take his personal bike (Multi 1200) for a demo ride. The ride was like crack, I couldn't get it out of my mind. I resisted the urge to buy one for 6 months or so before giving in and getting one.

Of course I'm biased (like everyone else) but the Multi is the best motorcycle I've ever ridden when looked at from a total package standpoint comfort/power/handling standpoint. Are there more comfortable bikes out there?.... yes. Are there more powerful bikes out there?...yes. Are there better handling bikes out there/...yes. But I have yet to find one that pulls all three things together as well as the Multi.

It is an new model so there have been a few teething pains with the bike but the enjoyment of the ride had been well worth the hassles. The power of the Multi in the urban and enduro modes is comparable to the Uly; the Touring and Sport modes are in a whole other class. I've been calling the sport mode the stupid mode....its stupid fast and stupid fun.

@Armymedic: I haven't ridden a S10 yet but unless your Uly was set up wrong I find it hard to believe that a S10 handles better than a Uly. The Uly is one fine handling bike.

OP: If you dont at least demo a Multi before making your decision you are doing yourself a disservice. Test ride everything you can before making a decision.
SayItAintSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:47 AM   #23
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,206
I don't have a Uly, but am in the market for this class of bike. I think the SMT is probably the closest thing to a modernized Uly. Light, simple, quick, somewhat visceral, 17" wheels and very sporty. The MTS is a phenomenal bike too, very sophisticated, fast, brakes and handles with the best. If anything its a bit too refined and sophisticated -- it doesn't have that exceptionally-visceral feel that a ducati should (though its worlds better than a BMW in this respect) and oddly, it doesn't demand enough of a rider imo. The motor and injection is flawless, you can be a ham fisted spode and it'll pull hard, smooth and clean from idle to red-line. Where's the fun in that?

The hyper is huge fun, very visceral, compact, extraordinary handling. The motor is blindingly fast, but it moves well and is extremely useable. As standard its no good as a tourer with less-than-great seat and a 100 mile fuel range. Add the DP seat (or some comfy aftermarket seat) and the 6+ gal CA cycleworks tank and you've got a mighty fine ultra-light/sporty tourer-capable machine.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:01 AM   #24
Supertoon2
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I think the Stelvio might have the KTM on comfort, man, that screen looks effective and the seat is huge. You gotta like shaft-drive as well. The Uly is still the most comfortable bike I have ever owned. It has set the bar really high for pillion comfort. My wife finds the accommodations a bit smaller on the 990. I switched out to a Sargent and that helped alot! This bike shines on twisty country roads, it virtually disappears under you and the motor, the brakes and the suspension are top shelf. I have a set of Scorps on the shelf, this will make the bike as competent on dirt roads as the Uly was.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:51 AM   #25
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
I don't have a Uly, but am in the market for this class of bike. I think the SMT is probably the closest thing to a modernized Uly. Light, simple, quick, somewhat visceral, 17" wheels and very sporty. The MTS is a phenomenal bike too, very sophisticated, fast, brakes and handles with the best. If anything its a bit too refined and sophisticated -- it doesn't have that exceptionally-visceral feel that a ducati should (though its worlds better than a BMW in this respect) and oddly, it doesn't demand enough of a rider imo. The motor and injection is flawless, you can be a ham fisted spode and it'll pull hard, smooth and clean from idle to red-line. Where's the fun in that?

The hyper is huge fun, very visceral, compact, extraordinary handling. The motor is blindingly fast, but it moves well and is extremely useable. As standard its no good as a tourer with less-than-great seat and a 100 mile fuel range. Add the DP seat (or some comfy aftermarket seat) and the 6+ gal CA cycleworks tank and you've got a mighty fine ultra-light/sporty tourer-capable machine.

That's why I mentioned the old MTS, with a set of Leo's it's a true riders bike, very fun!!

I'd love to have a Hyper and do that big tank, but we're a two-up family on the big bikes and it's too small.

The heat on the Uly is horrifying, especially two-up with hard bags...somehow the heat packs under the bike at speed.

I've spent considerable time on a Stelvio, more miles in one week than most people put on in a year. It's a great bike and once broken in the MPG's were into the mid 40's, I don't think you'd really need the NTX with the bigger tank. Heat is a complete non-issue.

Took my new to me 1150GS out yesterday two-up in 100 degree heat, it's really a great bike. I should have tried one sooner.

I've ridden a 990 a bit, somehow the FI ruins that bike. I rode a buddies 950SE and it's a great bike with the carbs, totally changed my mind about the big KTM's.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:31 AM   #26
sfarson
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
I think the Stelvio might have the KTM on comfort, man, that screen looks effective and the seat is huge. You gotta like shaft-drive as well. The Uly is still the most comfortable bike I have ever owned. It has set the bar really high for pillion comfort...
The Stelv is Uly like on comfort, with better protection up front. It doesn't enjoy the curves as much as the Uly (not many bikes do) but it isn't deficient either. Except for dimensions, there are more than a few similarities between the two bikes. The inviting stock seat and aftermarket (and effective) Givi screen...

Old 08-29-2011, 05:08 PM   #27
dgrs2
Where'd I leave my knee??

Oddometer: 1,605
Guzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarson View Post
The Stelv is Uly like on comfort, with better protection up front. It doesn't enjoy the curves as much as the Uly (not many bikes do) but it isn't deficient either. Except for dimensions, there are more than a few similarities between the two bikes. The inviting stock seat and aftermarket (and effective) Givi screen...

Now if I can find one of them for sale. I like it!

Smokin Hole Rally creator

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767567
dgrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:18 PM   #28
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
That's why I mentioned the old MTS, with a set of Leo's it's a true riders bike, very fun!!

I'd love to have a Hyper and do that big tank, but we're a two-up family on the big bikes and it's too small.
I agree on that -- I'd expect the old MTS to be quite good, though I haven't any significant time on one. It and hyper are essentially the same bikes under all the plastic. An outfit in germany even made hypers out of MTSs before ducati got around to doing it and they looked darn good too

Most folks seem to love the Uly seat. I can't say from FHE though.

I'm the exact opposite re the carbs and FI, but I grew up with computers and FI and like the tuning options and instant throttle response. A well tuned FCR suits me too, but keeping one well turned is a full time career.

I'm leaning toward an SMT or 990 SMR as my next ride, but nothing's off the table yet and I'm still really curious about the Uly.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:24 PM   #29
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly View Post
Wow. I dig that KTM. The Stelvio too. Damnit, this is going to be harder than I thought.
Pm'd ya.
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:49 PM   #30
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,222
I think that a 2003-2009 Multi sounds like it might do the trick, power, handeling, comfort, long trips etc. Not a dirt bike, but it will go on dirt roads. Its a sport touring super moto kinda deal.

The only thing that kept me from getting a MTS is the valve adjustments. They require valve adjustments every 6000 or 7500 miles (depending on models). I don't want to do the valves every year!

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote