Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2011, 11:03 AM   #46
Bryn1203
Dances with spaniels

Oddometer: 1,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
Well I think I've just bought myself an '09 Uly XT, one came up in the fleemarket here that I couldn't resist so I put a deposit down and am working out the details now. Now I just gotta get myself up to boston with cash in one and an ECM in the other (it's got a cracked ECM -- FI light comes on after riding a while the seller says, has already been diagnosed by the dealer up there). Lots of great bike options here and I'm still dying to try the SMT or SMR 990, but I've never had a buell or HD before so figured I'd better see what all the fuss is about
what did the new ECM cost you ?............. I have an EBR one and it performs much better. If I were in the states I'd get a Drummer can and EBR ECM - good combo .......... hope you enjoy it.

Get $5 off Smugmug - use this code NxRfLxbR5xhlE
Bryn1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:15 PM   #47
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
I haven't got it in hand yet, but EBR lists it at $250.
http://www.erikbuellracing.com/store...ammed-ecm.html

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:08 PM   #48
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,601
Currently there may be some value in a used Buell as used Uly's sell for as little as $4500. But at $12,000 I hear you loud and clear. There is a lot of information out there so todays buyer should know what they are getting into but if you bought in before Harley closed shop and paid a premium price I without a doubt understand your frustration.
The fact that the muffler on my Uly started rusting the 1st time it got wet should speak volumes the non premium nature of many of the bikes components. The lifetime belt, rear wheel bearings and cracked ECM's take away the nature of a go anywhere bike. Sadly, if I were to take a trip across the country I'd probably have more faith in my $3500 Korean scooter.
Good luck in your search for a new bike and sorry to read of your Uly woes. Look on the bright side, you get to look forward to new bike day.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:14 PM   #49
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,270
The biggest problem with uly parts is there were too many components from the HD parts bin. They're fine on a fair weather cruiser but when used in the way we use them they're really not up to the job. Yes the rusty muffler does suck, where it's at meant it needed a really durable coating of some sort. I'm sure the bean counters wouldn't allow that either. It definitely isn't a structural problem though, only aesthetic as mines risky as hell and I have no problem jacking the bike up with it.

That Stelvio does look nice though. I'll be riding my uly for a few more years though. It only has 36k on it.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #50
merc16
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Just a little bump to subscribe.
merc16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #51
PSO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Skifast I had an 06 Uly. Bought new in 06. I was left stranded on the road three times, and also had major local problems to contend with, eg the fan, rerouting the wiring over the heads, bottom of fuse panel wireing, replacing VR and also #77 connector, plus replace connector from stator, preventive maint. for the fuel pump, etc. This bike I think was my favorite if only it was dependable and I coudl trust it on my back road cross country trips. My wife has a Wee strom, and I took that on one of my ten day annual trips plus several 3/4 day trips to WVa. I like the famouse dependabilty of the bike, I like the extensive dealer network for long open road trips, I like the availabilty of parts, I like the chain over the breaking belts of the first Uly's (by the way I enjoyed your post several years ago on how to make a roadside belt change), I lkie the upright riding position similar to the Uly, and also the limited off-rad capability, I also like a v-twin motor for the low end torque. I did do as suggested and lowered the front forks in the clamps about 1/2 to 3/4 inch and all the issues regarding handling in the wind stopped, plus it turns on a dime. I did need to stay in 5th gear in the mt.'s in WVa. and also NY, and only occasionally needed to down shift. I like that I can get a little over 200 miles per tank of regular. If I want to get more off the line acceleration I will switch to 14 tooth front sprocket. However reports from superhiway riders say that it gets a bit buzzy at 95MPH, which this speed is of no concern to me, and they switch to a 16 tooth front sprocket and like the hiway cruzing. I picked my 08 up last year for half the retail price. It had a litle over 3K miles, with dealer maintence paperwork. It suites me fine and also I can take my wife on it if she doesn't feel like taking her own. Other than the valve check, (which usually do not need to be adjusted) this bike is simple to do routine maintence upon. Not quites as sexy as the others mentioned. One last comment, I am on two forums for Stroms and it is interesting after BadWeatherBikers, that the issues dissucced are so minor. I would say that there have been a few problems with the larger Strom's stator. 6 allen head bolts to reomve and replace. I think Suzuki has fixed the problem.
Major complaint is it does not have the character of the Buell, I am not accused of riding what sounds like a tractor, I had a minor adjustment to the power difference, however it is a V-twin so torque power is sill lower RPM and thus useable. Plus the suspension could use some work, I was spoiled with the ULy suspension. I do not miss the Uly as much as I thought that I would, I guess its dependablity made it more of a nightmare and I could just no longer trust it n longer trips.
Hope this helps.
PSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:32 PM   #52
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,241
I sure hope my Uly keeps on chuggin' ... its had NO problems so far, just change oil/filter and go. I think this is because my bike was born on Wednesday.

Bikes born on a Monday are built by hung over people who don't want to be at work, resulting in sloppy mistakes.

By Wednesday, they're into the routine, gettin' work done, building bikes. A professional, highly motivated, dedicated work force producing quality bikes.

Friday comes and everyone is just turning wrenches and watching the clock, waiting for the weekend. Result? See "Monday" section above

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #53
Ironrdr
Pay No Attention...

Oddometer: 533
I bought a Concours last month. Took it on a 10,000 mile trip across the country. Got home and started turing wrenches on the Buell, hoping to get it back on the road by the middle of this month.

The Concours is a great bike, but that Uly has a character that can't be matched. I can't imagine not having the Uly in my garage. Every time I get on it I'm smiling ear to ear under my helmet.

-darrell

2011 Ride West Ride Report
Ironrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:42 AM   #54
jrflanne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
First time I hear about a happy owner of the caponord.

Just go on with it
Well, my Capo has about 36k miles on it and the motor hasn't exploded yet.

If I were to go out for an adventure/touring bike now, I believe it would have to be a SMT.
jrflanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:59 PM   #55
tankhead
Path less traveled

Oddometer: 177
Het Darrel, My Uly is fixed. Blown fuel pump fuse and new plugs. I am not as confident in the Uly as I was my Buell City-X. Took that across the US in 08 and sold it with close to 30,000 miles. Not one problem. Can't say the same for my 09 Uly. "Tis a shame.....
Old 09-05-2011, 08:32 PM   #56
Ironrdr
Pay No Attention...

Oddometer: 533
I saw over on Badweb you got the problem solved. Glad to see it was an easy fix.

I just started tearing into mine. Hopefully have it back on the road by the middle of the month.

I haven't had any leave me on the side of the road troubles with my Uly. This little bearing problem is about the worst bit of trouble I've had with the bike, and it was totally preventable on my part.

Hopefully we'll be able to get together for a putt after this wrench turning session.

-darrell

2011 Ride West Ride Report
Ironrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:29 PM   #57
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironrdr View Post
This little bearing problem is about the worst bit of trouble I've had with the bike, and it was totally preventable on my part.

-darrell
Maybe I missed something, but what bearing problem?

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:13 PM   #58
manybike
Omnipresent

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
Well I think I've just bought myself an '09 Uly XT, one came up in the fleemarket here that I couldn't resist so I put a deposit down and am working out the details now. Now I just gotta get myself up to boston with cash in one and an ECM in the other (it's got a cracked ECM -- FI light comes on after riding a while the seller says, has already been diagnosed by the dealer up there). Lots of great bike options here and I'm still dying to try the SMT or SMR 990, but I've never had a buell or HD before so figured I'd better see what all the fuss is about
You got a smoking deal on that bike. I was also in contact with him but I was a fair distance away and couldn't get the time off work on such short notice to go get it in BOS.
Looking at an 08 Uly right now. I still have my 1150 GSA but I am looking forward to trying something different.

72 Yamaha 350 street 92 R100GS
07 Versys 08 WR250X ST1300
manybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:28 PM   #59
manybike
Omnipresent

Oddometer: 368
Are the Uly's really as unreliable as I am reading here?
As I mentioned, I am looking at an 08 with about 16k miles. I have read that the 08's were supposed to be much better than the previous models.
Or is this kind of like reading the BMW GSA threads where you would swear that not a single GSA has not suffered FD failure, brake failure etc etc.
I do own a 04 GSA and I have had none of those problems (and yes...I do like the whizzy brakes)
The Uly to me seems like a simpler bike, no valve sets, no FD issues, no spline lubes etc.
I also used to own a 04 Ducati Multistrada, put 35k miles on the bike with no mechanical issues at all...the only bad thing about the Multi was resale....almost had to give it away.

I have ridden the Uly on occasion and I quite like it. Seems like a relatively low maintenance bike compared to my GSA.

72 Yamaha 350 street 92 R100GS
07 Versys 08 WR250X ST1300
manybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:19 PM   #60
paul56
Usually gruntled

Oddometer: 123
My 06 Uly is nearing 98,000 miles since I bought it new in Jan 06. It has left me stranded three times. Once for a shorted fuel pump wire (repaired for less than $20 after pushing it 1-1/2 miles home), once for a dead battery caused by a dead voltage regulator ($100 repair)(caused by an overheated 77 connector) and once for a broken throttle shaft. These problems have been well documented and can easily be pre-empted (now that Tootal has a replacement throttle shaft available for under a hundred dollars) . A number of other problems (rear wheel bearings and cracked ECMs come to mind) are also preventable. Most of the "known" problems aren't difficult or expensive to deal with.
Recently, some 07s with crank failures are becoming known. This may or may not be a widespread problem.
I think without the knowledge gained by experience the reliability isn't great, but with so many people finding and fixing common problems and sharing their experiences the reliability improves greatly.
paul56 is offline   Reply With Quote