Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2011, 03:23 AM   #61
Ironrdr
Pay No Attention...

Oddometer: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedient View Post
Maybe I missed something, but what bearing problem?
After adjusting the play in the clutch cable, I left the rubber boot over the metal part of the adjuster, leaving the top of the adjuster, where the rubber from the cable ends, open for water infiltration. We got a toad strangler of a rain while I was down in the Keys, and all the water running down the clutch cable ran right into that opening, and into the cable intself, eventually ending up in the primary.

When I got home from that trip I changed the primary oil, readjusted the boot and thought all was well. Apparently, the boot got stretched, didn't make a tight seal around the cable, and the same happened again.

The bearings in the clutch hub are now not sounding so happy, so I'm gonna replace them, may do the XB-9 primary swap, replace the clutch cable and all should be well.

My '06 Ulysses has been nothing but reliable for me. The well documented problems have me prepared to deal with any that may pop up. Besides a weeping starter gasket, (which is an easy fix) I have had no troubles with this bike. I see my seat is starting to rub on the ECM, so I will deal with that before it becomes a problem.

I would buy this bike again in a heartbeat.

-darrell

2011 Ride West Ride Report
Ironrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:16 AM   #62
Supertoon2
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I miss the quietness of the belt final drive, but I stopped doing wheelies far from home for fear of being stranded. I was always too dumb to carry a replacement. But man, did that bike like to wheelie.....
I had my 07 for 25 000 miles with nary a problem. I loved the bike but I don't miss it. I never got mine to behave a low speeds, always had to slip the clutch, it would bake your right thigh, I still ride with my right knee sticking out until I remember I don't have to anymore.. Oh, and the fan, that *&$#@ fan. It always came on as the uptight border guard was about to start his questioning. All these sound niggly if you are trying to convince yourself to buy this bike , but after time they will become annoying.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:09 AM   #63
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertoon2 View Post
I never got mine to behave a low speeds, always had to slip the clutch,
XB9 Primary swap

Quote:
it would bake your right thigh.
Rider Comfort Kit and Odies heat blanket

Quote:
Oh, and the fan, that *&$#@ fan.
Fan runs much less with the rider comfort kit installed and ecm flash.

Every bike has its problems, I've just decided I like the mULY enough to live with its quirks.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:18 AM   #64
dgrs2
Where'd I leave my knee??

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
I sure hope my Uly keeps on chuggin' ... its had NO problems so far, just change oil/filter and go. I think this is because my bike was born on Wednesday.

Bikes born on a Monday are built by hung over people who don't want to be at work, resulting in sloppy mistakes.

By Wednesday, they're into the routine, gettin' work done, building bikes. A professional, highly motivated, dedicated work force producing quality bikes.

Friday comes and everyone is just turning wrenches and watching the clock, waiting for the weekend. Result? See "Monday" section above
I'm the proud owner of a 07 Wednesday bike. Had it on it's first 300 mile day on Sunday. Love it. Smooth, great gas mileage, very nice.

Smokin Hole Rally creator

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767567
dgrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:47 AM   #65
wbedient
MoTard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrs2 View Post
I'm the proud owner of a 07 Wednesday bike. Had it on it's first 300 mile day on Sunday. Love it. Smooth, great gas mileage, very nice.
Its life is good when you get a Wednesday bike!

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
Old 09-06-2011, 11:27 AM   #66
SayItAintSo
Wanna be

Oddometer: 129
Quote:

Rider Comfort Kit and Odies heat blanket

Those definitely helped, but it was still a hot bike..... at least my '06 was.
SayItAintSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:56 PM   #67
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,028
Another satisfied Ducati MTS1200 owner

Having put 90,000 miles on two '06 Ulys (first totaled on a deer at 55K miles), I decided to switch to a 2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, and am very happy. I actually still commute on the Uly, but do long rides on the MTS 1200S.

I've put 20,000 miles on two Multistrada 1200's (first one totaled at 12K miles on hoarfrost...remember that?). BTW, to set the record straight, valve adjustments are every 15K miles on the MTS1200, not 7,500.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is that the Uly is a VERY compact bike...anyone who's owned one knows this. After the Uly, almost any bike (R1200GS, Super Ten, Tiger XC etc.) feels VERY long, especially in the front.

The Multistrada 1200 is not QUITE as compact as the Uly, but it's a close second. At a fairly small 5-8, 140, 32 inseam, the other ADV bikes just felt TOO DARN BIG! The Multi fits me much better. Actually, the Tiger XC wasn't too bad, but after riding big V-twins for 1.5 decades I just didn't bond with the 800 triple.

I've done a cross-country trip and have another planned for next summer. I wouldn't mind the MTS12 being a little more dirt-worthy (and crash-worthy), but you can't have everything, I guess. I'm quite content with the bike the way it is.

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:07 PM   #68
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,138
FWIW, the duc hypermotard is an extremely compact bike, probably even moreso than the Buell, and with the right seat quite comfy. With the CA cycleworks 6.6 gal tank I'd think it'd make a good all-around'er.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:22 PM   #69
twizzler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
I have an '08 Uly with about 19,000 miles. I bought the bike new and it's definitely been the most fun bike I've had the pleasure of riding! The little maintenance that is required on the bike is simple and can be done at home with the manual imo. I had to replace an exhaust sensor around 13k but other than that it's just been regular maintenance. I always wonder and imagine about owning other bikes but right now the Uly is my daily commuter yet fully capable sport touring machine.

That Stelvio though...wow!
twizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #70
Supertoon2
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Dr Greg, good to hear from you. I followed your "deer strike" story over on BadWeb. Glad to hear you still have your Uly and are still enjoying the MS. We never really exchanged much, but always appreciated your well informed and polite comments! Did you ever have a chance to sample the SMT 990, it would be cool to hear your thoughts in comparison to the MS....
Old 09-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #71
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,028
Quote:
Dr Greg, good to hear from you. I followed your "deer strike" story over on BadWeb. Glad to hear you still have your Uly and are still enjoying the MS. We never really exchanged much, but always appreciated your well informed and polite comments! Did you ever have a chance to sample the SMT 990, it would be cool to hear your thoughts in comparison to the MS....
Yep, I'm still kickin'...as my buddy says, I seem to have a "durable" body.

Ya know, the 990 is the ONE bike that I've never ridden. Come close, but never done it. Actually, the maintenance issue has always put me off of the KTM twins (and I own an MTS1200? )

Seems like lotsa guys buy badass ADV bikes and trick them all out for dirt, then virtually never stray from the pavement. Not wanting to be one of them guys, I went ahead and bought the more pavement-oriented bike to begin with...

--Doc

PS. "Well-informed and polite"...man, I gotta tell Mrs. Greg about that!
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:22 PM   #72
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,138
The 990 SMT would be the one that would suit you best, I think, Dr. Greg. It is very much pavement oriented. Its currently at the top of my wish list, but would be financially imprudent at the moment, so I secured an XB12XT for about a third the price that an SMT would run (pesky student loans).

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:08 PM   #73
ULY-RPG
cool hands adv

Oddometer: 294
I'm a happy owner of an 08 uly that I bought new. 25,000 miles and has stranded me once. The belt broke in the woods and was totally a result of ABUSE!

There was a KTM demo and I spent the better part of a day riding orange. I will say if the ULY wasnt in the stable first the SMT would've been there instead.

I'm not looking to get out of the ULY, nor do I have buyers remorse but there are better choices out there now.

I'm pissed that i didn't wait for the fire sale prices
ULY-RPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:52 PM   #74
wbedient
MoTard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULY-RPG View Post

I'm pissed that i didn't wait for the fire sale prices
You and me both, I picked mine up a couple months before they shut down

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
Old 09-08-2011, 06:53 PM   #75
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,487
Anything would be better than a bike with a POS HD engine.
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote