Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2011, 07:11 PM   #106
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post

Taken at the plant the week HD pulled the plug on Buell.

That picture's hard to look at.

Still it's not a bad start.

pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:12 PM   #107
manybike
Omnipresent

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Taken at the plant the week HD pulled the plug on Buell.

That picture's hard to look at.

That is bad....what a tragic waste regardless of what brand it is.

72 Yamaha 350 street
07 650 Dakar 08 WR250X
manybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:53 PM   #108
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,212
I would love to have one of the bikes in that dumpster. My '06 is great, but it would be nice to have a newer bike with the extra steering angle, improved oiling, higher redline and heated grips.

What a waste. They could have given them to charity or something!

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:07 PM   #109
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Still it's not a bad start.
For the kind of riding I most like to do, there isn't a bike out there I'd rather have.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:18 PM   #110
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,934
Have you been dumpster diving?

Good for you to find something you enjoy so much. I only tease.
The brief ride I've had on a Uly was impresive.
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:37 PM   #111
axelwik
Yep

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly View Post
Ok, I think I'm coming to the end of my 'cool bike with personality' Buell experiment. My 07 grenaded at 28K miles, but being a romantic, I picked up a used 08 last spring. The 08, if you know these bikes, was supposed to be improved in lots of ways. Well, the damn thing stranded me in Polson, MT on the fourth day of a 6 day ride. They're still trying to determine which of the known gremlims (ECM, Chaffed fuel pump wires, etc.) are affecting the bike. I had a girlfriend like this in college, she was gorgeous and mercurial and fun to ride, but I dropped her because I knew eventually it would end badly.

So, it's time to think about what the next bike is, and I'd be grateful for any ex Uly riders to chime in.

When I bought the Uly, I was living in Utah, and did a lot of dirt road rides with it. My riding buddies had the typical big KTM 990s, BMW R1200GS, BMW F800GS etc. Now that I'm living in WA, I don't have quite the same riding, and spend more time on the street. I have a Harley Heritage, (which is what I SHOULD have taken on the trip) so I don't really need a cruiser. I also have a Triumph Scrambler which I putz around on and take up Forest Service roads if I'm looking for some gravel etc. So when I think about it, I really want a bike that has the spirit of the Uly, the upright riding position (hey, I'm 55) handles great, can be used for long rides, and good power.

My riding pal insists I need a R1200GS, but frankly, I find the telelever front end sort of weird, and now that I'm not in Utah, I don't know if I need that kind of tractor. But I'm open.

Another thought that's occurred to me is the Tiger. Yeah, I know everyone loves the 800 but I think the 1050 might be closer to the Uly in seat position and power.

I've looked at but have not ridden the Aprillia Dorsoduro. It looks kind of sharp, but I know nothing about it.

Finally, I'm thinking very hard about used. I'm not poor, but I am sorta cheap.

So I know that's sprt of a generic set of criteria and I know it's been asked a hundred times before, but whaddya think?
Two valve Ducati Monster or Multistrada. Keep the belts fresh and they'll go forever.

"Man - despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, & his many accomplishments - still owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil & the fact that it rains".... Anonym
axelwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:23 PM   #112
wbedient
MoTard

Quote:
Originally Posted by axelwik View Post
Two valve Ducati Monster or Multistrada. Keep the belts fresh and they'll go forever.
How often do you have to replace the belts?

My only reservation with the DUC is valve adjustment intervals... just too short for my taste.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
Old 09-20-2011, 06:12 AM   #113
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
Belt and valve intervals differ depending on year/model, but generally figure belts every 2 years and a valve check (note check is different from adjustment -- you only adjust if it is out of clearance) every 7500-15000 miles depending on model/year. After the first adjustment or two you probably won't have to do more than just check for a very long time.

On the plus side they generally seem not to have the numerous design flaws of the uly so you spend a lot less time pre-fixing stuff. Probably a wash in the end.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:00 PM   #114
dgrs2
Where'd I leave my knee??

Oddometer: 1,608
Love my Uly. Taking it for a ride to VT Thursday. Second long road trip. I'll be posting a ride report in ride reports so keep an eye out for it. Going to do a kind of video diary of the trip.

Smokin Hole Rally creator

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767567
dgrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #115
wbedient
MoTard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrs2 View Post
Love my Uly. Taking it for a ride to VT Thursday. Second long road trip. I'll be posting a ride report in ride reports so keep an eye out for it. Going to do a kind of video diary of the trip.
Post up a link to that video diary here when you're done with it... or send me a PM with the link. Sounds interesting.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
Old 08-03-2012, 05:15 AM   #116
Petrus
not at heavens Gate

Oddometer: 39
So, were almost a year further since the last reply on this thread. New bikes to consider. Anyone?

I'm eyeballing the latest Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX to be honest.
Petrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:09 AM   #117
merc16
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Laugh

For me, it is a "new to me" 2003 Kawasaki ZRX 1200
merc16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:48 AM   #118
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,252
Well I took a demo ride on a Tenere last weekend. Did over 100 miles on it. Good bike in some ways but I don't know if I can go to it after having the uly, it just didn't do anything for me. Shame, I really wanted to like it.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #119
kcumjc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
I had an 06 Uly, bought it when they first came out. I test rode everything back then that qualified as an Adventure Touring bike and we settled on the Uly. It was the only bike the wife gave both thumbs up to.

I have a serious love/hate relationship with that bike. It left me stranded 3 times hours and hours and hours from home (once for wheel bearings, once for a snapped clutch cable and torn belt and lastly the 77 connector) and countless fixing of little stuff over the time I had it. All was fixable and when it performed, it performed flawlessly and I had a ton of fun on it. I just got sick of putting in new rear wheel bearings every tire change and the fear of taking a long trip.

Now that I'm commuting again, I'm after another big over grown street bike that thinks it can off-road. I like to ride my bikes and they tend to get abused off road as I take them way past their design ability. So far, I've been researching the Tiger 800XC and the Super Tenere. I need to get a test ride on each and see how it goes.

BUT, I still have a place for the Uly in my heart. I would like another one, I'll take a '10 though. With the comfort kit, heat blankets and other stuff to manage the wind, it just ate miles. I did a SS1000 and it was like cheating on that bike.
kcumjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #120
Strokizator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
I had an '06 Uly that I dearly loved but after two serious crashes (the second fatal to the Uly) my wife said that if I wanted to continue to ride, it had better be on something else. So I picked up an '07 990 ADV. Offroad it's the bike I wanted the Uly to be. It's 21" front tire is much more suited than a 17". It has all day comfort - I've done a 5000 mile, multi-day trip as well as a 1200 mile/22 hour iron butt.

No bike has the character that the Buell had and I miss it a bunch. The 990 is still unique enough that you don't see a bunch of them everywhere you go ("KTM, who makes that?"). About the same horsepower, one extra cog in the transmission. Chain drive requires maintenance but it's easy to change ratios. Weather protection & cargo capacity are about the same. Both like to cruise at 80 mph. After owning both bikes, I think the Uly is more motard with dirt capable tires than a true adventure bike but that's where the market is headed anyway - with the multistrada probably being the best. YMMV

BTW, I just turned 60 and will be in Alaska on the KTM next summer.