User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #121
thisflatearth
Pro-Commuter

Oddometer: 935
I love my 06 Uly and I cant wait to get rid of it

With so many possible issues down the line I know at some point it will leave me stranded with no help to come. But other than not affording another bike because no one will buy my current one, I love it and will be keeping it till one of us kills the other.

I haven't (on paper) found a better bike or what I do (which these days feels like only commuting) and its great at that.

But I do keep telling my buddy to stay away from the overpriced used models on the craigslist.

And my biggest concern was the pinging mine had but since I retarded the timing on 95+ degreee days I cant make it ping no matter how hard I try.

After I take care of the other minor stuff and have a bunch of parts on the shelf I will be a happy guy.

So.... who wants to buy a Uly
thisflatearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:18 AM   #122
Petrus
not at heavens Gate

Oddometer: 39
Funny enough, the first test ride back in 2006, I did not like the Uly at all. The fan was blowing all the time and a couple of other things that i cannot remember now.

A couple of years later I found myself thinking about one again and toke another test ride. A little longer this time and enjoyed it very much. This one i bought and have it now for about 5 years and had no major issues with it besides problems with the Voltage regulator. That is sorted now as well, seemed to be the #77 connector.
Couple of bearings changed out, but I consider these more as maintenace spares. 1 belt snapped but lasted longer anyway then the chains on my bikes.
It has a race ecm with a remap done and since the remap its running cooler so the fan only switches on in slow traffic on warm days and the bike feels 'stronger' in general.
A race muffler and a K&N filter, more holes in the airbox and a breather reroute. Bike starts perfectly in any type of weather and doesn't stutter or have any hickups anymore.
Last year I was able to buy a new new racemuffler and the original panniers/topcase and rack for a very reasonable price.

I'm still very happy with the bike and will keep it for the next year or 2 anyways. No real replacement comes in mind except the Moto guzzi stelvio ntx maybe.
Petrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #123
RealOldDualSportGuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Uly

We are on our third Uly since 06.

Bought an 06, whne they first came out, rode it for 55K, no real issues at all.

Sold the 06 to buy a lightly used 07 with 2500 miles. Rode it for an additional 65,000 miles and it was stolen and sold by psycho ex-wife.

We were without a ride for 3 years until early this year we started to look for a Big Traillie as the Lads in the UK like to say.

Long story and many test rides later, we found an 08 Uly with 16K, a few farkles and a couple of spare parts included, at a price that was really too good to pass up. An 08 Uly for the price of an 05 - 06 Girlie,

We have put about 2600 miles between work assignements and recall why we went with Buell in 05 origionally.

Due to a bad knee, we are in the process of lowering it with a custom shock by WIlbers or Penske, with the intent of keeping te Uly till either we or it can no longer get started.

Buell parts are starting in increase in perceived value, however, there are many many sources for parts than there was on 2006.

Thanks for listening to the rantings of a Uly rider

Be Safe

Cheers

Old 08-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #124
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,675
Cool.

What's an '05-'06 Girlie(i have no question mark key).

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:47 AM   #125
Jonny955
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Maybe I can answer that !

I had a 2006 Girlie Tiger (yes, that's what it is) from new and was very happy with it except that I just wanted to try something different. Ended up on a 2006 Ulysses.

I think the Uly is a great bike - full of character and extremely good fun to ride. However...there was only ever going to be one bike that was more fun that the Uly yet did almost the same job and that was the KTM 990 Adventure.

I've had my Katoom a couple of weeks and absolutely love it - but I'm not blind to the virtues of the Uly that I have had to say goodbye to. In summary;

Ulysses: Better mpg, better pillion comfort, easier maintenance, better on-road handling.
Katoom: Better off-road, better heat management, better build quality, nicer controls.

Although they are aimed at riders with different riding requirements they are pretty close in being the two most enjoyable big 'Adventure' bikes out there. I'd certainly consider another Uly but I'd go for the later model.

My 2006 Tiger will be a hard act to follow, though.

Jon
Jonny955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:10 AM   #126
ronandkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
New to the Uly

My wife and I looked for an adventure / touring bike for over a year off and on. We sat on big GS's, Tigers (used 955 and new 1050), Vstroms, and finally the Uly. My wife instantly felt most comftorable on back of the uly, I instantly felt most comftorable on the front, as im a dirt bike rider / racer for 37 years now, it instantly felt right.
Now I haveent owned alot of streetbikes, Only a yamaha vmax, and a Kawasaki eliminator 900.. Both great bikes, but not the best for any distance.

All the perks, like baggage, accesory outlet, heated grips, EASY suspension adjustment
TORQUE! I really enjoy the fact that I can come into an uphill corner with me an my wife on it, forget to downshift, and just simply chug away from 1900 rpms. I REALLY enjoy that!

Dislikes
HEAT!
Low speed stutter (I havent played with maps or done a TPS reset yet, I think that will help)
Flat spot at 4000-4800 rpms. (have researched this and saw some posts by a fair amount of others on other web sites that experienced the same thing so I believe a TPS reset may help this also)
I KINDA miss the last little bit of rev.. Just when it feels like its pulling hard.. Theres the Limiter kicking in.

All together im EXTREMELY happy with the bike, the handeling, power, ride, ergos, etc.. A few quirks that need to get figured out over time, but happy I got it for the wife and I.
ronandkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #127
Bryn1203
Dances with spaniels

Oddometer: 1,815
still love my Uly, but its been in the shop for a month now waiting for bits (exhaust valve actuator) and a new ECU - again.

Been trying out bikes but nothings floats my boat yet.

Fancy making up a bobber-trailee-drag-cruiser-sports-ike - like this I saw at a drag race meet last weekend... not much to ask ?

Honda V twin - firestorm, SP or VL1000 ???????????????

Get $5 off Smugmug - use this code NxRfLxbR5xhlE
Bryn1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #128
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,675
The combination of comfort, utility, buttery suspension, torquey urge and killer chassis are keeping me pretty well charmed with my '09.

I love it.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #129
sfarson
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
The combination of comfort, utility, buttery suspension, torquey urge and killer chassis are keeping me pretty well charmed with my '09.

I love it.

Well observed and well noted.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #130
unlucky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
I crossed 45,000 mi on my Uly last week on my way home from South Dakota. It was practically flawless the whole ride. I don't think I can ever get rid of it.
unlucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #131
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,285
I'm still thinking about this, it has stranded me more than once but I really enjoy riding it.
I did however pick up another bike to try out, I liked the test ride, whole lot different than the uly. Hopefully I will like it as I really wanted something with a 19in front wheel and a narrower rear wheel for gravel and dirt. I'll have to ride it a bit and see how it goes, the uly may stay as well.
JTucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:58 AM   #132
SkiFastBadly OP
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,516
Well hell, since I started this whole thread a year ago, I might as well chime in here.

I haven't done a thing. The Uly has, for the last year, been running like a champ. I had to replace the rear bearings but that's pretty standard. I've put about 10K miles on it in the past year.

In the meantime, I've taken a few test rides.

The Super Tenere did nothing for me, I found it boring and weird with all the plastic out front. It handled pretty well, but it didn't speak to me. I guess there's more to life than reliability.

I rode the Tiger 1050, it's a little more sport bike than what I'm looking for.

I rode the Explorer. Nice bike. But I found the throttle by wire a bit twitchy. A LOT twitchy. I'd be scared shitless to stand on the pegs on that bike.

I've been reading a lot of good stuff about the Stelvio, and I just read the compo in Cycle World.

Having gone through all this, I realize that if I wanted to replace my Uly, I'm looking at 18K OTD (sales taxes are high in WA state) and that's more than three times what I paid for the Uly used. So screw it, I guess I'll keep dreaming and thinking and wondering but for now, it's still the Uly.

Of course, having said that, the voltage regulator puked on me yesterday. Ah well, bikes ARE machines, I guess.

Ski

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #133
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,220
Switching Bikes

I live in the country and we only have a few paved roads. The Ulysses OWNS these roads, love riding this bike in the corners. BUT we have more gravel than pavement, and the Uly does OK on gravel. We have a TON of fire roads, single track, trails and dirt roads.

I'm getting rid of it because I don't ride the pavement much anymore. The Buell WORKS in the dirt, but I bought a Honda XR650L that is FUN in the dirt.

I ride WAY more dirt than pavement and so the buell is gonna go bye bye.

Miss it already

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #134
Mnrider2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Keeping mine

I bought a used 09 KLR last year so I could keep the Buell nice.

The KLR works great on the gravel and two track that I used to ride the Uly on.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #135
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnrider2 View Post
I bought a used 09 KLR last year so I could keep the Buell nice.

The KLR works great on the gravel and two track that I used to ride the Uly on.
Money (and time) rules out that option for me.

That is a great way to do it though.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote