User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 08-28-2011, 02:54 PM   #16
nadams
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
We bought a Honda EU2000i for use at fireworks shows. It'll charge our Paslode and firing box batteries when on the "idle down" feature, which is great. When its time to tear down in the dark, it runs two double shop lights with no issues (4x 500watt bulbs on high) for extended periods of time.

Fuel use is great, even under full load.
nadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:49 PM   #17
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,318
I keep my Honda eu2000i, this thing is worth the $, but shop around, can be had for high 8xxs.

It is also putting out clean juice for the lap tops. Just don't turn tour back on it......they will grow legs.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:16 PM   #18
glynb
Relentless Underachiever

Oddometer: 771
I've got 2 2KW Honda generators (EU2000I) that I hook together to power my house when the power goes out. Very reliable, hardly any maintenance and very quiet (important in a neighborhood.) I can't recommend them high enough. Like what was said before, they're worth the high price because they last so long. My Honda's are 7 yrs old and still run like new.

"Pour yourself some backbone, and shaddup!"
Movie- Colt .45
glynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:15 AM   #19
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 703
My Honda is perfect. Well worth the $$$$$$. NEVER a problem with it.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:50 AM   #20
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
My dad and several friends have the Hondas. Great generators, quiet, always work, last forever, seem quite well built. If/when I buy I'll get a honda inverter generator, just not worth the noise or aggravation to mess with anything else imo. My dad's big honda, a 6500 I think, makes less noise than his RV's AC unit. I once worked on a ford liquid cooled boat generator, it was quite nice too, but big/heavy (~350lbs I'd guess).

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:25 AM   #21
Bongolia
stop acting

Oddometer: 16,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
The Yammy's and the Honda's are expensive for a reason: They work. They're quiet, sip gas, and are extremely reliable.

Here are a couple of old sayings that have always served me well when I'm in a similar situation as your's:

The wrong gear at the wrong price is still........the wrong gear.

Buy once, cry once.
Honda are not expensive. we have had one for ten years and it still runs well. They are not cheap shit.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:14 AM   #22
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongolia View Post
Honda are not expensive. we have had one for ten years and it still runs well. They are not cheap shit.
I think you may have misunderstood me.

They're expensive when compared to the discount units often found at box stores. They're cheap when considering that they'll be the only one you'll ever have to buy.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:40 AM   #23
snakebit
growing old disgracefully

Oddometer: 1,055
Timely thread.

Last November I lucked into an old Honda 1000 at a marine flea market for $ 350 dollars. Brought it home and let it run until it was out of gas and stored it until this morning. I added fresh gas and it started on the third pull. That's reliability.

It has no trouble starting and running the 5000 btu AC unit in my camper van.
snakebit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:37 AM   #24
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,622
I would be tempted to try a Lifan inverter generator because I've had such good luck with their motorcycle engines. I see 2600 watt inverter models selling for about $650.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:42 AM   #25
SnowMule OP
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,011
The engine's designed by mechanical engineers... the inverter's done by electrical engineers. While they may have a good crew of ME's, who knows where they found their EE's. For that reason I'd hesitate to plug something important into it without some testing first.

Kinda why I'm looking at the Generacs though. They've been in the genset business for years, their standby generators work pretty well. Utility power goes out, batteries keep the radios on long enough for the genset to kick on and stabilize, then it's good till the diesel tank runs empty.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:37 AM   #26
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,884
No love for the Yamahas? And the Homelite generators have Robin Subaru OHC engines - what about those?
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #27
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post
Lookin around at the little 2kW suitcase generators for camping.

120v AC and 12v DC charging is required.
Parallel operation is not.
I don't need it california-compliant.
Quiet would be nice but I'm not using this in a campground. Snow does a wonderful job of attenuating generator noise, but I'd rather not have a noisy-ass construction site generator running all night.

As much as I'd love to get a Honda/Yamaha, i've got a hard time shelling out $1k+ for them. Best I've found used and still working is $750-ish.

I can get a brand-new-in-box Generac IX2000 for $600-ish, factory refurb'd for about $450.

It's got 12VDC. It's got 120VAC. Runs on gasoline. Same fuel tank threads as the Honda, extended run kits and DIY extended run kits are available. I'm kinda leaning towards this one since I've had good luck with the larger power units of theirs.

Then there's the honeywell units. Roughly the same price as the Generacs.
Sam's Club sells "Champion" gensets for even less than that.

Anyone have the Generac unit? Love it/hate it?
I see the Hondas on CL a bunch round here for sale CHEAP because most people who buy them, did so for camping and they quit going camping when they figured out how much it cost, and how much work it actually was. I suggest perousing CL......
Old 08-29-2011, 01:51 PM   #28
91Eunos
zipper suited sun god

Oddometer: 717
CL = ??

Craig's List?
91Eunos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:35 PM   #29
divotdm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post
The engine's designed by mechanical engineers... the inverter's done by electrical engineers. While they may have a good crew of ME's, who knows where they found their EE's. For that reason I'd hesitate to plug something important into it without some testing .

This is the one I have

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/p...lid=EB3000CKAN

">

I know its bigger than what the OP is looking for, but just for reference. This is a 3000 watt (68 pounds)
CycloConverter style. Not sure how that differs than an inverter. I can tell you in the last ten years, this thing has been abused. I would guess it has 7500+ hours on it, has been dropped, overloaded, run for days straight, bounced around the back of a van, knocked over while running, ect. It still starts on the first pull and runs as new. It has never needed a repair or failed to start (even in sub-zero temps) Other than oil changes, all I have replaced is 1 sparkplug and 1 airfilter. If I were you I would buy used, spend the $20 to do a tune up, use the heck out of it.

Thanks,
Dave
divotdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #30
SnowMule OP
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
I see the Hondas on CL a bunch round here for sale CHEAP because most people who buy them, did so for camping and they quit going camping when they figured out how much it cost, and how much work it actually was. I suggest perousing CL......
I've had my eye out there for a while. Cheapest running ones I've seen are >$750.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: