User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 03:10 PM   #31
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,631
Generac inverter generators are made in China just like the Honeywell, Briggs, Lifan, Champion, etc.. Wonder if the Hondas are too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post
The engine's designed by mechanical engineers... the inverter's done by electrical engineers. While they may have a good crew of ME's, who knows where they found their EE's. For that reason I'd hesitate to plug something important into it without some testing first.

Kinda why I'm looking at the Generacs though. They've been in the genset business for years, their standby generators work pretty well. Utility power goes out, batteries keep the radios on long enough for the genset to kick on and stabilize, then it's good till the diesel tank runs empty.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:12 PM   #32
Tweaker

Oddometer: 9,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
I see the Hondas on CL a bunch round here for sale CHEAP because most people who buy them, did so for camping and they quit going camping when they figured out how much it cost, and how much work it actually was. I suggest perousing CL......
Speak o' the devil... http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/for/2571094480.html
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #33
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,559
This thread seems to be a vote for Honda?

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #34
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
The REAL Hondas are the best, those with just a Honda OHV motor, not so much....watch out for the Hondas on the CL with just a Honda OHV motor. They really aren't any better than any of the rest with a Techumsei or something else.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:33 AM   #35
wakewop
Hucker

Oddometer: 684
Me and 3 buddies have the honeywell 2000. One guys is beyond a pain in the butt to start, another's had the fuel line come off the carb and leak all over, and also is a 20+ pulls to get it started. Mine was about 10 pulls to start and the pull start cord broke. It was the 6th time I had used the generator.. I returned mine and got the Champion inverter 2000w model. Extremely quiet, lighter weight, and a breeze to start. Only problem is that it is hardly supplying the watts it says it will. I have a 1000w microwave that any other 2000w generator will run with no problem. This Champion will not spool up and run it. It just bogs down in low rpms and lugggg lugggg lugggg. and the microwave runs at about 1/8 power. So back to the store it goes to get another one to see if it was a problem with the unit. I really want this one to work because the size, noise, and features are perfect.
wakewop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:41 AM   #36
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 10,006
Are there any small diesels?

I guess it doesn't matter, I gotta carry gas for the bikes anyway.

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:54 PM   #37
SnowMule OP
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson.biguns View Post

As nice as that'd be... i'd rather carry a bunch of fuel jugs that I can put in snowmobile/truck/motorcycle/generator on an as-needed basis instead of "this fuel jug's only for the genset, this one's only for the snowmobile, and the truck... well, i hope i've got enough..."

my small backpacking stove's the same way. Oringally set up for white gas... which is great when you're hiking, but if I've got 2+ gallons of fuel on the bike, I'd rather jet it for the same fuel I have a lot of.

The Honda has a "tri-fuel" carb for about $100... can convert the generator to run on an external propane or nat gas supply, or gasoline in the tank. It'd be nice, since I've got propane in the trailer for the furnace... but with an "extended run kit" (easily DIY, probably run about $50 in parts) I could make it most of the weekend on a 6-gal jug plus the 1 that's in the tank without having to refuel. The gas cap threads on the honda, generac, and honeywell units (and a few others iirc) are identical, some lawnmower gas caps have been said to work too.

So again, i'm kind of back to the generac with an extended-run kit...
Old 08-30-2011, 04:56 PM   #38
~DC~
An Internet Legend

Oddometer: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson.biguns View Post

There are diesel gensets, not typical in the consumer marketplace though.
Most diesels engines would be much heavier than their pertrol based counterparts. Besides engine weight, most diesel gensets run at half the RPM (1800 vs 3600 rpm), this requires more/heavier generator windings. Due to the lower RPM, they are often somewhat quieter than a similar output gasoline generator.

~DC~ screwed with this post 08-31-2011 at 12:34 PM
~DC~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:19 PM   #39
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
I'm convinced. I've been sporadically looking at getting a second generator. I'd almost convinced myself to get a Generac and save a few bucks, but I'm just going with Honda.

I've seen the 2k models in RV magazines for just north of $800.
BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:02 AM   #40
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,885
Of course, there are shysters here trying to sell them here on CL after Irene for $1,500. The weather is so nice I don't think folks who don't already have one are running out to spend 2X the price for one.

Still no Yamaha love? I read one review by some Ham radio operators who preferred it to the Honda, don't recall why.
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:14 AM   #41
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,469
Tractor Supply has this 2KW unit on sale for $179.00 at my store zip 25271. Link says $199 but sales paper says $179.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/outdoor...erator-4458506

"Often wrong but NEVER in doubt"!
Beemer Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:56 AM   #42
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post
As much as I'd love to get a Honda/Yamaha, i've got a hard time shelling out $1k+ for them. Best I've found used and still working is $750-ish.
I bought my Honda EU2000i several years ago and have been very happy with it. I purchased it here: http://www.mayberrys.com/honda/generator/html/maingenerator.htm
I think it was in the $800s new, shipped and sales-tax free
Old 08-31-2011, 04:33 PM   #43
Bun-bun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perp View Post
I

I have recently bought a (Home Depot) Ryobi 2000i for emergency home use.
It's in the garage still in the box.
The box may be the best place for it.
My friend bought the Ryobi 2000i last Thursday to have power after Irene. Bought from Home Depot for a bit over $600 otd. Ran it for about 8 hours Saturday, during the storm, out on his covered porch, then shut it off while he went out. He came back, and it wouldn't start, and the overload light kept coming on. He tore it down, and found that water had seeped into the windings, which had no protection but the case.
I have a different setup. I have a 1750w inverter hooked up to a dedicated deep cycle battery which is connected to the alternator. This works well for camping, etc. since it's completely silent. I also have a 4200w Craftsman (Made by Generac) generator to power the house. It's loud, but it's been very reliable.
1985 Honda XL600R - sold
Bun-bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:01 PM   #44
jc9995
Commuting BEAST :)

Oddometer: 213
I was in the same boat. Couldn't spend the money on the Honda's. That was 3 gensets ago..... I now have a honda eu2000i twin setup that have been converted to run on propane, natural gas or gasoline. I wish I would have done it sooner. If I'm boondocking it, I only take 1 generator and a 20lb propane tank and I and good for 4 days at least. You don't hear it at all if you run it 30 feet from camp, and it will run anything but the AC. I can hook them both up to the house and run them on natural gas for days and weeks if needed. Spend it once. Never worry about it again.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:20 AM   #45
SnowMule OP
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,022
Found a great deal on two Generac ix2000's.... company in IA went out of business and was selling the pair for $300.

They both ran, but were in pretty rough shape. Had definitely been used.

Tearing down 1 of 2 right now. Spark plug was original, and pretty well done for. Piston/cylinder appear to be in good condition, air filter was clean, and it had oil in it. Plastics clean up nicely with some Simple Green. New spark plug, new carb tubing, fresh oil, fresh fuel, install an hour meter, and a good going-through for both of them.

I'll keep the better one, not sure what I'm going to do with the other. May keep it and rent it out over the summer, may sell it outright (Should be able to recover all the $ I have into both of them if I do that, leaving me with a free generator if not making some $ from it).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: