User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2011, 12:18 AM   #1
BluNozr OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Earth, Wind and Tires

I'm keeping a blog for family and friends of my trip from Nova Scotia to Deadhorse and then you guessed it, down to Ushuaia. The title was decided upon over lots of rum and little sense but it will suffice. Go easy on me as I'm not much of a blogger and again, this is a cut and paste of a blog done for family and friends.

If you want to see the real deal take a look at www.earthwindandtires.ca

Cabano, QC (807 kms)

Today was the day I have been waiting on for some time now.* The first day of a year long journey around the America’s and like a kid at Christmas I was up well before the sun and chomping at the bit to go.

Unfortunately my poor preparation meant that I wouldn’t hit the road for several more hours but this gave me some time to say goodbye to family and friends and share a cup of coffee with my brother Mark.* I am blessed with a large family that is very supportive and my parents are helping me out in a big way by taking care of my good buddy Jack while I am away.* Jack is my six year old black lab and I will miss his company as much as anything else while away.

Jack on a sunny afternoon at Long Beach Tofino, BC

My nephew with his dad. *A future adventure rider perhaps???

With goodbyes complete and the bike packed I hit the road accompanied by light cloud and a cool breeze.* Traffic was brisk and for the most part everyone on the road was doing their best to make good time so it was clear sailing.* I headed for the New Brunswick border on my way to Quebec.* Now, as most Maritimers know, New Brunswick has lots to offer but scenery on the highway to Quebec is not their forte.* The road was straight doubled lane tarmac so I didn’t stop for many pictures and did my best to put down some big miles on the first day.* I set up my stealth camp west of Cabano, QC just off the highway in an old abandoned highway pit.* It was nothing much to look at but a good place to lay my head on the first night.

La Belle Provance!

Ottawa, ON (687 kms)

Sporting a maple leaf on the front of the bike and in the in the middle of a cross country tour I figured a trip to the nations capital was in order. *The city really embodies the Canadian spirit. *Everyone was fantastically polite, helpful and the city itself was clean and vibrant.

I got to my friend Lisa's place, unpacked the bike and had a quick shower then it was downtown to check out the light show on Parliament Hill. *It was also Lisa's first day at a new job so we had another great reason to go downtown for a beer. We were there early so we had time for a bite to eat before walking down Elgin St to watch the show.

When the street lights came on we made our way down Elgin to the Hill. *The light show was done using the Parliament building as the backdrop. *The show itself was fantastic but the three kids laughing and giggling during the show was just as much fun.

After the show we walked around the downtown and took in the sights and sounds. *Lisa shielded me from a roving pack of french cougars and we took in a few more of the monuments.

Oscar Peterson

Women's Rights monument.

There was lots to see but unfortunately I was only in town for a short while. *I suspect I will be back to Ottawa again so I didn't feel rushed to take it all in right away. *It was back to Lisa's apartment where I slept like a baby after the prior night in the gravel pit in Quebec. *Tomorrow it's off to Northern Ontario.

Espanola, ON (567 kms)

Road traffic was the sign post of the day. *I looks like the Provincial government is spending a few bucks on old Hwy 17. *Traffic was light and other then the few stops and a bit of rain things moved along well.

I pulled into the town of Mattawa on the Quebec - Ontario border and found a great little coffee shop with a great bowl of soup. *The Moon Cafe was on Main St is a great place to eat and get a cup of coffee and the staff there were spot on.

"When in Mattawa ...visit The Moon!"

I put in some more long miles to make it to an old haunt in Sudbury, ON. *I have a lot of great memories from this town and many of them came in this building. *I really shouldn't be wearing Soo Greyhound red when standing in from of the home of the Wolves but the blue T-shirt was getting ripe.

I headed down the road with my soul full of great thoughts. *The motorcycle helmet will certainly make you think on any ride but all kinds of thoughts and memories were bouncing around in there over the next hour. *When I finally clued in that it was getting dark I started looking for a place to camp. *I found a picnic park at the Spanish River on Hwy 17 and set up my first truly "stealth" site.

From the road

A bit closer

The final set up!

It was a surprisingly good night. *When I was setting up the thunder was booming and when I got in and settled in hammock it started to pour rain. *I had another great sleep swinging in the breeze.

More Northern Ontario tomorrow...

White River, ON (565 kms)

The drive through the Canadian Shield surprises me every time. *Not because of it's beauty, and it is gorgeous but it's because for some reason each time I go there I never really anticipate how long the drive will be. *Northern Ontario is massive and the maps just don't do it justice.

The weather was good again today. *I started the day in Espanola, ON with a coffee and later stopped in Sault Ste Marie to load up on some fruit for the drive. *That being said, I have been reluctant to stop as often as I should for some reason. *I guess old habits die hard, but if I am going to see anything I have to force myself to get off the bike here and there to take it all in. *I started to do that towards the end of the day stopping for a nap in the sun at Speckled Trout Creek and then to see the view at Old Women Bay on Lake Superior.

The bay was named appropriately. *There were three old women there ...and three old men too. *All sipping coffee, bundled up in sweaters and sitting in the sun.

I ended my day and stopped earlier then has been typical on this trip and got a room in White River, ON.

History Lesson #1

Winnie the Pooh is Canadian ...or at least was caught on this side of the border. *He may have been from Duluth I guess. *The bear who inspired the character was purchased from a hunter in, you got it, White River, ON. *The bear was bought by a Canadian Lieutenant Harry Coulbourn for $20 and became a mascot for Fort Garry Horse Regiment. *The bear was named "Winnie" after the city of Winnipeg.

For August it was freezing in White River. *Winnie most likely got the addiction to honey because it was unlikely he saw any up here. *Common theme I guess. *Small town bear goes to big city and gets hooked on the sweet candy and is forced into dancing for servicemen to feed the habit.

BluNozr screwed with this post 08-28-2011 at 12:46 AM Reason: fix font
BluNozr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:49 AM   #2
BluNozr OP
Studly Adventurer

Ignace, ON (627 kms)

Instruction manuals come with most all electronics we buy. *When I bought the GoPro camera for this trip I simply rifled through the box to the camera, played with it for a little while and tucked it away with all the other trip goodies leaving the instructions God knows where. *As a result I had 3000 photos of random photos at the end of the day.

Rather then search through them all at the end of a long day of riding I scrapped the whole lot and chalked the experience up to a lesson and took my lumps.

I left White River mid morning after seeking refuge at a local motel the night before. *I met up with a group of riders from Michigan who were having a grand time telling stories and enjoying the sunset when I arrived. *In the morning as I packed the bike one couple came by to say good bye before they made their way home. *Dale and Lucy were all smiles and sent me away in the morning in great spirits. *Dale spoke of his son's new bike and the rebuild on his "73 Norton he bought new while on leave from the military back in 1973. *As he spoke I could tell he was back at the dealership that day picking up the bike. *I'm not sure Lucy was there with him then or today.

I wasn't on the road for more then an hour and stopped at a construction site with another GS rider pulled up. *We talked for a bit and decided to ride together for a while and for the first time on the journey I had company. *Jason is in the middle of his own trek that started in mid May and went from his home in Washington State to Tennessee, North Carolina and then on to Boston where he worked for a bit. *After finishing up in Boston, Jason went north to Eastern Canada and was making his way back home.

You know what's better then a GS? *...two of them!

We had lunch in Thunder Bay and raced off west until we hit heavy rain, thunder and lightning that stopped us for he day in Ignace, ON. *Jason showed off some great negotiation skills scoring us a room for next to nothing and that is where we parked the bikes for the night. *It is also when I found out that somewhere over the past several hours of riding I forgot to turn off the GoPro which was set to take photos every two seconds. *We had a couple beers at the local tavern with another GS rider from Hope, BC and that is when the tales started.

I'll work on taking a few less*photos tomorrow and finding a happy medium.

Tomorrow it is off to Portage la Prairie to see the Butlers.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:50 AM   #3
BluNozr OP
Studly Adventurer

Portage la Prairie (538 kms)

After our short stay in Ignace, ON the plan was to make our way to Winnipeg, MB and pick up a few “wants” at Mountain Equipment Co-op.* After a stop in Kenora, ON for lunch we headed for Winnipeg, stopping only to pick up some snacks at a local fruit stand.

We hung around for a while enjoying the sun and started chatting with Lois from Calgary.* She and her sister were headed to Nova Scotia and stopped to look at the bikes.* Lois explained that she began riding 53 years ago in Germany and has had a bike ever since.* She shared a few interesting stories and left briefly only to return a short time later with a phone number and address in hand in case we needed a place to stay in Calgary.

After a brief stop in Winnipeg for a few goodies Jason and I made our way to the Butler’s in Portage la Prairie.* Chad and Hali are friends I met several years ago and became close very quickly. *There kids were waiting in the driveway for me when I arrived and I got a big hug from Raeley when I arrived. * *They had cold beer and brontosaurus sized steaks waiting when we got there and we ate and drank and told lies into the night.

Daehan and Raeley going for a ride on the bike

Chad, Hali and Jason posing for a picture between drinks.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:51 AM   #4
BluNozr OP
Studly Adventurer

Flin Flon, MB (766 kms)

Jason left early the next morning to make his way to a friends home in eastern Montana.* It was going to be a big day on the road for me as well but before that I had a date for ice cream with Chad and Hali’s daughter Raeley. *We took a look around Portage la Prairie, went out for some ice cream and went back to the house where the kids added a couple of stickers to my pannier.* It looks like Dora the Explorer is heading to Alaska!

I left Chad and Hali’s in the early afternoon to make my way north in the direction of The Pas, MB.* As I got closer I started looking for a site to camp but for the next hour found out that most northern Manitoban’s go camping on Saturday’s.* I turned back at several sites and run out of one “non designated” site and found myself on the road near Flin Flon at 10PM trying to find a place to sleep.* I ended up at Neso Lake, MB and pulled out the hammock for a welcomed rest.

My campsite at Neso Lake outside Flin Flon, MB the next morning

The bug carnage from the night riding in northern Manitoba. *Thankfully there are no moose guts on the visor.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:53 AM   #5
BluNozr OP
Studly Adventurer

Green Lake, SK (677 kms)

I was again impressed with the hammock the night prior.* It went up very quickly and the site requirements were minimal.* Two trees is all I needed however I still counted my blessings I found that in the dark and with all the beaver’s at work in the area.

I had been told that Flin Flon was a sister city to Sudbury, ON and was impressed just how much.* The town was eerily similar to “The Rock” and the people were just as impressive.* As I did maintenance to the bike four different people showed up and offered to give me a hand.* I then went to a local tourist bureau / campground looking for a Flin Flon Bombers hat and the owner of the park Rick spent the better part of an hour tracking a hat down for me.* I then spoke with Bev at the airport where Rick said to go and she did the same tracking down Scott who owned the local drugstore.* He came in from his home and searched his store and office for a hat.* Not one of these people I had ever met and no one asked for a dime.* They couldn’t do enough for me.* I asked Rick’s wife why and she told me “they are so bushed that they are just happy to see a new face in town.”* I left Flin Flon without a Bomber’s hat but with a great story and having met three fantastic people.

I made my way west and worked out a route to hit some dirt roads for the first time on the trip.* I rode a great route from Flin Flon West to Hwy 165 heading north to La Ronge. SK and on to Beauval, SK.* The road conditions varied from gravel to hard clay to a sand / gravel mix that latter making up the majority of the 300+ kms of fun.

Tired and hungry I made my way south to Green Lake, SK and set up the tent for a quiet night by the Cowan River listening to rain on the tent’s canopy.

BluNozr screwed with this post 09-01-2011 at 07:46 AM Reason: video problem
Old 08-28-2011, 11:36 PM   #6
BluNozr OP
Studly Adventurer

Earth Wind and Tires

Slave Lake, AB (667 kms)

Sometimes things are best left alone. *Someone sang in a song that "you don't mess around with Jim." *I have heard in the movies that you shouldn't f*#k with a Marine. *When I was creeping up to the fence this big buffalo picked up his head and I stopped dead in my tracks. *I tried another step, he snorted and if he had an eyebrow I'm sure he would have furled it to go along with that "I dare you" look. *I made you way back to the bike.

The sound of the rain on the tent canopy the night prior was second only to the light show being displayed in the sky. It would be no exaggeration to say the thunder and lightening went on for three hours. *It was a soggy pack in the morning. I had left my stove and boots outside. Fortunately they were tucked under the panniers so they escaped the full downpour. I wasn't in the mood for much other then a coffee so the camera was not in my thoughts and I took no photos of the site in Green Lake. In what is becoming a bit of a ritual I found a McDonald's in the next larger town of Meadow Lake, SK and worked on the blog enjoying free WiFi, free coffee refills but few smiles. *I hope its my freeloading and not my smell as its been a couple days since the last proper shower.

When I fueled up a local rider named Lyle chatted with me for quite a bit, looking the GS up and down and finally parting with a small request. He asked me to take a photo of the polar bear in the Anchorage Airport and add it to my blog so he could show his friends how big it is. Apparently they thought he was a bit of a bullshitter when he told them the story of the bear.

I stopped a short time later in my Mom's home town of Bonnyville, AB to see her childhood home. She couldn't remember the house number but I went up and down Lakeshore Drive and took in the whole neighborhood. *I had a chance to take a few photos of some buffalo outside of town and when I came to terms with their bulk I had a new appreciation for the First Nations people of the plains and what they had to do for food.

After that I twisted the throttle and made my way northwest towards Slave Lake, AB where I made camp about 30 kms west thereof.

I passed throughout the neighborhoods devastated by the recent fires but didn't feel right taking photos. It was amazing what the fire destroyed and how adjacent properties were untouched. Regardless of the tragedy the town seemed to be going about it's usual business and moving on... just like I was doing.

BluNozr screwed with this post 09-01-2011 at 07:48 AM Reason: Video was auto playing
Old 08-28-2011, 11:43 PM   #7
BluNozr OP
Studly Adventurer

Earth Wind and Tires

Fort Nelson, BC (796 kms)

The day started off well. *I got the bike packed up early and got on my way. *The sun was intense and the air was cool which made for good riding. *I thought of my niece Maggie and how she would love this area as each farm I drove by had no less then ten horses in the paddock.

I stopped in Raycroft, AB to do some bike maintenance in the parking lot of the fuel station. *Unlike Flin Flon, MB no one stopped to say hi and everyone put their head down and went about their business. *I had stopped as I noticed the performance had dropped off slightly, and I mean very little. *It turned out the air pre filter that picks up the bigger junk before the main air filter.**It*was full with ...you guessed it, bugs. *Bees and mosquitos mostly.

Six bolts and the covers are off. * Real easy stuff.

The main air filter and the pre filter (left) after the bugs were dumped out.

Ready to roll again!

I got back on the road and entered British Columbia's Peace River Region near Dawson Creek. *This is the start of the Alaska Highway that was started and built in less then a year back in 1942 at a cost of 114 million dollars. *They really got things done back then. *From this point on it is a series of oilfield towns till I get to Watson Lake, BC. *The riding was uneventful and I am focused on getting to Anchorage by Saturday to get tires for the Dempster Highway as my front tire is almost done. *The motorcycle shops in the US are closed on Sundays and Mondays so I need to do my next oil and tire change there before heading to the Arctic Circle.

Good 'ol Mile 0.

I found a hotel in Fort Nelson and dried out the tent, washed some clothes and got some fresh fruit for the next day. *I passed on the $15 cabbage rolls special at the local restaurant snacking in the hotel room and looking forward to a nice burger in Watson Lake, BC.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:49 PM   #8
BluNozr OP
Studly Adventurer

Earth Wind and Tires

Rancheria, YT (638 kms)

Up early and refreshed I packed the bike, went for a coffee and fueled up. I was talking to John S. from Fort Nelson at the pumps and commenting on how quickly my front tire was wearing when he said to me, it's because it's on the wrong way...

I was choked. I had the new set of Heidenau's K60 Scouts put on in Nova Scotia before I left at a bike shop. *They are directional and being installed backward explained the premature wear. They did screw up but I have only myself to blame. I didn't look either and knew there was a problem since eastern Ontario. The poor performance and noise might have been a clue as well. *So there it was as obvious as could be. *The arrow pointed in the wrong direction and John S. looking at me like I was a complete f-ing idiot. Fortunately I was going in the right direction for what was soon to be the best day so far.

I swapped the tire around at a local tire shop and was back on the road in no time. *Problems persisted with the tire throughout the day and into the evening but the riding was so good it didn't matter. *I rode through Stone Mountain Park and Muncho Lake Park for the better part of the morning and afternoon and the two parks were bookended by coffee and chat with a nice couple from Minnesota two up on an BMW R1100GS. They told me what was to come and gave me some contact information should I find myself in their neck of the woods.

Rather then try to explain the day I'll give you two GoPro videos from the front of the bike as samplers of what I saw. Enjoy.

Buffalo in the park.

There was lots of views like this all day.

I rode beside the Liard River into Watson Lake, YT stopping to take in the vistas and deal with persisting tire issues. In Watson Lake I had supper at local burger joint I used to visit from my days in northern BC. Full and satisfied it was on to Rancheria, YT where storm clouds appeared on the horizon prompting my retreat into a local picnic site with covered eating sites. *A perfect spot to set up camp protected from the weather.

Nice spot to relax and have a little break.

Tomorrow I will roll into Whitehorse, deal with the tire and hit the road for the Alaskan border. *I spoke with a buddy in Anchorage and I think a few pops may be in the works this weekend

BluNozr screwed with this post 09-01-2011 at 07:53 AM Reason: video not playing.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:52 PM   #9
BluNozr OP
Studly Adventurer

Earth Wind and Tires

Tok, AK (947 kms)

It was a great night in Rancheria. *I settled in early the night before and got away at dawn. *The roads were familiar and there was no traffic in sight. *The front tire continued to give me problems until I got to Whitehorse, YT where I found a local bike shop to help me solve the problem.

Turns out that the last tire shop in Fort Nelson didn't clean up the bead as well as they could have and the slow leak was coming from around the wheel. *Problem solved I was back on the road just after noon heading west in hopes of putting some miles down. *I wanted to get to Anchorage for my friend Darren's birthday partly on Friday night. *The highway in the Yukon was beautiful but I wasn't feeling up to taking photos as the roads were a chore. *The Alaska Highway west of Burwash Landing, YT to the Alaskan border were extremely bad and took all of my attention.

I stopped outside Beaver Creek, YT for supper and had a bunch of ducks entertain me as I ate. *I stayed on the road until just before dark getting to Tok, AK and making camp just off the road. *Tomorrow I will get away early again and go to Anchorage for an oil change, a new front tire and some time off the bike at a friend's home.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:23 AM   #10
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,413
Good stuff. Subscribed for this one.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:01 AM   #11
BluNozr OP
Studly Adventurer

Earth, Wind and Tires

Anchorage, AK (492 kms)

Up again early this morning all I could think about was a hot cup of coffee and breakfast. *I wasn't five minutes on the road and had seen my third moose and I again got the idea it was going to be another great day on the bike. *Most of the wildlife I saw had the breakfast on their minds as well.

The weather turned cold, rainy and about 5C as I entered Glenallen, AK and stayed wet till I got to Anchorage. *The GoPro camera was snapping away but the lens was dirty, wet and most of the shots did not turn out. *The riding was great again today but the long rides of the two previous days have taken their toll and I am learning that pushing too long on the bike is not good for me or the photo album.

This moose was just as hungry as I was and could care less that I was there.

The riding down from the pass near Sutton, AK was good but traffic started to get heavy so I pulled off often to relax. *I got into Anchorage mid afternoon, lined up a front tire for the run to Prudhoe Bay and went to Darren and Jeanna's place. *I got a hot shower and Darren and I went downtown to Humpy's to meet some of his friends for a few beers.

I suspect it will be a rough morning but I plan to spend a day or two with Jeanna and Darren in Anchorage. *I will change the oil in the bike tomorrow afternoon and pick up a tire at The Motorcycle Shop. *Darren and Jeanna are raving about the pizza at The Moose's Tooth so I will come back with a review soon.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:02 AM   #12
BluNozr OP
Studly Adventurer

Earth, Wind and Tires

Anchorage, AK (- kms)

There wasn't really a plan for how long I would stay in Anchorage. *I had arrived late on Friday and after a few beers downtown with Darren the idea of leaving early on Sunday didn't seem to make sense. *I had to do an oil change, pick up a front tire and I wanted to get out and seem some of the area with Darren's family.

Saturday was Darren's birthday so we had some of his favourites for breakfast. *I was surprised to see onion rings on the menu and I'm doubtful it is regular fare in their home but they went well with the ham, bacon, eggs and mild hangover.

Darren and I made our way over to The Motorcycle Shop to pick up a new tire and a filter. *I also grabbed some oil and at a NAPA and looked around a few other shops for odds and ends. *We made our way back to Darren's place and foreman Fiona gave me a hand with the oil change.

We had planned to go out that evening for pizza at a local favourite but Jeanna called ahead and found out the wait would be an hour and forty five minutes so we stayed in and had some BBQ. *The next day we were away early to the Byron Glacier about an hour outside Anchorage. *It was a great place as the walk in was easy enough for the kids and it had some great views. *We all hung out in the sun and relaxed for the afternoon.

Darren, Jeanna and the family on the walk into Byron Glacier.

Darren and Fiona crossing the creek.

After a nice afternoon exploring the park we got an invite to a BBQ at friend's of Jeanna and Darren and had some grilled sockeye.

Tomorrow it is off to Fairbanks through Denali National Park looking on towards the run into Prudhoe Bay.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:04 AM   #13
BluNozr OP
Studly Adventurer

Earth, Wind and Tires

Fairbanks, AK (568 kms)

It was a long day on the bike for such a short ride. *I was on my way to Fairbanks to hit the Dalton Highway tomorrow. *Leaving familiar faces in Anchorage and hitting the road in the cold and rain wasn't the most fun I have ever had. *I knew there would be days like today and believe they are a necessary contrast to *have to great days. *

I had the camera out and ready to go and knew that going through Denali National Park there would be lots to see. *This was echoed by the plethora of tour buses and Winnebagos parked all over the road. *The one problem was the entire park was shrouded in low lying cloud and the heavy traffic and rubber necking tourists kept me busy with riding tasks.

A few hours later I found myself in Fairbanks, AK with a new knobbie tire to mount and an empty stomach. *The priority was the tire for the early start the next day. *I couldn't convince the local tire shop to break the bead for me but they tipped me off that a the Harley Davidson dealership was open. *After making the change on the worn out front tire I found a deal on a hotel room downtown and grabbed something to eat. *I had a beer and contemplated a second but with the task at hand the next day I thought better. *I"m glad I did...
Old 09-01-2011, 01:05 AM   #14
BluNozr OP
Studly Adventurer

Earth, Wind and Tires

Deadhorse, AK (807 kms)

Alarm clock went off at 5 AM. *I had been up for an hour putting things together for the ride ahead. *I had heard all kinds of stories about the Dalton Highway and I was a bit apprehensive. *The overwhelming theme was that weather, specifically rain could turn enjoyable riding into a treacherous mess.

After a good heavy breakfast for me and the bike I made my way north from Fairbanks to the Dalton. *The first section till the Yukon River was a bit slick as there was some rain in the area overnight. *North of the river things got much better and there was a spot in particular along the way I was looking to find.

I had been to Prudhoe Bay before and being above the Arctic Circle was not a new thing for me. *Riding a motorcycle from Nova Scotia to Alaska and into the Arctic was new and something I was pumped up about. *Fortunately there were several people around and a gentlemen from St Louis, MO helped out taking some photos for me. *I hopped back on the bike and made my way to Coldfoot, AK to top up on fuel and then it was following the pipeline to the Atigan Pass. *Take a look at some of the video from the Dalton Highway.

Following the pipeline near Coldfoot, AK.

Climbing a hill near Dietrich, AK.

Dropping down to the Atigan Pass approach.

On the north side of the Atigan Pass it was continuous road construction to Deadhorse, AK. *My thoughts of doubling back to Coldfoot to camp for the night waned as the drive went on and when I pulled into Deadhorse shortly after 5PM. *I spoke with another biker at the fuel station and he told me about a place in town that if I hurried had rooms that included all the meals. *I got a room and had a great meal, hot shower and laid out my gear for the night.

It was an early night of working on the blog and getting road information from the truckers (No, I didn't see the crew from IRT). *I will sleep in tomorrow, take a look around town and head south when the sun warms the tundra.

BluNozr screwed with this post 09-01-2011 at 07:57 AM Reason: video link problem
Old 09-01-2011, 01:07 AM   #15
BluNozr OP
Studly Adventurer

Earth, Wind and Tires

Salch, AK (858 kms)

The smell of bacon woke me up this morning. *There are few things in the morning as good as waking up to the smell of bacon. *One of them is eating as much of it as I could handle. *The deal on the room, which was pricey, was all meals were free. *In fact I could go and eat whenever I wanted. *I was in an oilpatch town, in an oilpatch hotel and was being fed just like I was when I worked on the rigs.

The Prudhoe Bay Hotel

A warm, dry place to seek refuge from the freezing rain.

After breakfast it was over to the post office for a decal for the bike and then I hit the road shortly before 9Am. *It was -2C with the windchill when I pulled away and for the first 50 kms I was cleaning ice from the visor. *When the sun broke, the roads dried and for the next 8 hours it was a playground with great views. *Road construction north of Atigun Pass was still in full swing and calcium chloride they put on the road as they grated made riding slippery at times.

Slick roads near Joy, AK

People race away from these even up here.

My thought was to stop in Wiseman, AK and make camp for a short day but the weather after I climbed over the pass got even better and I was having fun riding. *I kept riding and by the time I tired I was only 30 mins outside of Fairbanks so I set my sights on the Hilltop Truckstop. *This place is a big deal for locals and truckers and their pies are supposed to be the cats meow. *I was told that Elvis ate there when visiting the area. *Judging by the chicken fried steak that I had I suspect this place was a contributor to his svelte look of the seventies.

Yes, that is the sausage gravy in case you were wondering.

I wondered the roads for a while looking for a place to set up camp when I stumbled on this place near Salcha, AK.

The place was great, rooms very clean and well priced. *Everyone there was friendly and with my stomach full I settled in to a bit of work on the blog and a nice snooze. *Tomorrow it is off to the Top of the World Highway from Chicken, AK to the Yukon.

BluNozr screwed with this post 09-01-2011 at 07:58 AM Reason: video problem