Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2011, 08:01 AM   #31
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecynic View Post
Wow, thanks for all of the great info. Even a little geography lesson thrown in for good measure.

A lot of the issue for me is the cost. In a perfect world, where money didn't matter I would go with the 1200gs, however the cost issue is a concern. What has anyones experience been with dealers willingness to "deal" on these bikes. I am guessing with the newness of the ST1200, that is going to be minimal, but what is the BMW experience. I had a good experience with the 650gs purchase, but the 1200gs is a higher demand bike. What has the general experience buying 1200gs been?? or

Thanks again for all the great information!!!
You know the Oilhead forum is about the WORST place to ask for comparisons, right? There are a lot of BMW fanatics here - that's fine in it's own way, but never in a million years would they concede that there might be another bike that can match or better the GS. There are others less fanatical, but understandably ill-informed about the Super Tenere. So that's no good to you either.

As Mr. Efficiency said "5. The only really great things I've heard about the bike are from owners," He says it as if the owners wouldn't know. Who better to ask?

Basically the bikes are very close in many ways, and it really comes down to personal preference, and whether you're prepared to deal with the known BMW problems vs unknown Yamaha ones. If price comes into it, and you're in the USA, Yamaha wins hands down. But if you prefer to pay the BMW tax so you can get that "clubhouse feel" at your local BMW dealers, go ahead. Just be aware some of your money goes that way when you pay for the bike.

Lots of good info here
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630631
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595933

plus multiple threads in Beasts and a whole forum here

http://www.yamahasupertenere.com

Trevor
Old 08-30-2011, 09:18 AM   #32
GSA GIRL
2010 R1200GS Adv.

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
But if you prefer to pay the BMW tax so you can get that "clubhouse feel" at your local BMW dealers, go ahead. Just be aware some of your money goes that way when you pay for the bike.
Trevor
Yeah but it's a great club and that Clubhouse feel is GREAT! I get free Sodas and Cookies every time I go in!
Old 08-30-2011, 09:20 AM   #33
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSA GIRL View Post
Yeah but it's a great club and that Starbucks feel is GREAT! I get free lattes every time I go in!
Fixtated

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:19 AM   #34
Mr.Efficiency
Adventure Wuss

Oddometer: 445
And I would agree, this is a terrible forum to do a comparo. I have ridden BMWs for 20+ years and have yet to be stranded by one. It would be a bit difficult to discuss their known issues... because none of them have ever met anything to me other than a trip to the dealer, a free cookie and a loaner bike.

Also, please note, I did say I like the Super Ten... and it is cheap. It has a lot going for it. But I will also tell you the bikes are not "close" not even. One is a good, inexpensive substitute. But it is Splenda vs. Sugar, one is the real deal and the other is not. And a ride on both will tell you that.

But a previous poster wanted to talk about buying experience. It was way too expensive and I felt I was taken advantage of... and then they continue to spoil me. It's a brutal dichotomy but the bottom line is I think you get what you pay for. If I could swing it, I wouldn't have changed a thing.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:32 AM   #35
WildAnCrazymtl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,286
R 1200GS

Old 08-30-2011, 10:53 AM   #36
GSA GIRL
2010 R1200GS Adv.

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAnCrazymtl View Post
R 1200GS
Wrong! R1200GS Adventure
Old 08-30-2011, 10:55 AM   #37
thecynic OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Yeah, I walked into this knowing that I would hear the GS slant on things. That is why I posted here as opposed to the Beast section. The 1200gs has always been "the one", but with the new Tenere just really wanting to make sure that I am making the right call.
thecynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:56 AM   #38
Animo
Beastly n00b

I like the R1,200gs and the GSA, they were my dream bikes for years. I almost bought a GS when the Tenere arrived in Mexico and I am extremely pleased with the bike. I am sure I would have been just as pleased with a GS or GSA.

I read this sentence thrown around quite a bit as a Tenere/GS comparison, but I still do not understand it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Efficiency View Post
........the bottom line is I think you get what you pay for.

What exactly do you get more of when you pay more for a GS? Heated seats? A windshield wiper? Free back massages after a long ride from your friendly BMW dealership?

When I bought the Tenere I didn’t see it as "getting less" or "getting more". (BTW the GS costs less than the Tenere in Mexico)

Maybe you guys can help me understand the "more for more", or the "get what you pay for" (that you do not get from a Tenere, per example) statements.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:01 AM   #39
icebox
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 958
super ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa12 Pilot View Post
Fixtated
I have probably had ten Yamahas in the last forty years, all have been good bikes, including the 650 twin I bought in the late seventies. Just sold a WR450 and replaced it with a DRZ400SM, so I don't ride just BMW's. When I get to ride a Super Ten and actually try and pick one up, maybe I will buy one. Untill then the 12GS is the best bike I HAVE RIDDEN that can handle two up dirt and gravel in comfort, Interstate Highways for hours at a time, and still be a blast over the Beartooth Highway. The convenience of the dealer location would be wonderfull with a Yamaha, but the extra weight until I have real experience with the bike is a deal breaker. I am only 5'8" tall, or short, 160 lbs, and sixty one years old. So don't tell me I'm fixated because I ride a GS........for now it works, KTM's are too tall, and not great pillion bikes anyway. I watched the Super Ten intro with real interest, was hoping for a 500 pound or less bike that had a DEALER NETWORK, are you listening BMW, their not, Germans always know best, just ask them. But BMW hit a home run with the 12GS, I just hope they don't screw it up and add all the weight back in they took out of the 1150. Till then enjoy whatever you ride. Cheers and keep the shiny side up
Old 08-30-2011, 11:51 AM   #40
WildAnCrazymtl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSA GIRL View Post
Wrong! R1200GS Adventure
Still right... An adventure is just R1200GS on Steroids

Old 08-30-2011, 11:59 AM   #41
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAnCrazymtl View Post
R 1200GS

If you are soooo sure the GS is the best, then why did you make the giant-sized font Super Tenere Blue, hmm???

dcstrom screwed with this post 08-30-2011 at 12:07 PM
dcstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:04 PM   #42
Animo
Beastly n00b

Man, that bike is SWEEEEET! ^^^

Old 08-30-2011, 12:13 PM   #43
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecynic View Post
Yeah, I walked into this knowing that I would hear the GS slant on things. That is why I posted here as opposed to the Beast section. The 1200gs has always been "the one", but with the new Tenere just really wanting to make sure that I am making the right call.

I see, so really you WANTED a GS bias so you could justify going and spending the money on a GS, rather than doing the sensible thing and buying an S10? Well if you have your heart set on a GS, just go get it and then we won't have to waste our time on this thread
Old 08-30-2011, 12:28 PM   #44
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 982
vs

having just driven 4700 miles on a trip on my 09 GSA and test riding a super tenere at Sturgis I can give you my 2 cents.

The GSA was amazingly comfortable, suspension was so plush, the windshield worked awesome at not shaking your head around. Handles surpizingly well loaded down in the twisties and I averaged 42mpg. The only issue I had was my fuel strip failed. No biggie.

Tenere was naked with no bags but it was faster and smother at 70 mph. It did not have as good wind protection or rain but It was adequate for a stock screen. Even thought it is heavier once rolling you did not notice it. I could reach the ground a little bigger but one again not a real concern. The overall fit and trim on the bmw was also better. The throttle felt better on bmw.
Honkey Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:43 PM   #45
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 47,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
You know the Oilhead forum is about the WORST place to ask for comparisons, right? There are a lot of BMW fanatics here - that's fine in it's own way, but never in a million years would they concede that there might be another bike that can match or better the GS. There are others less fanatical, but understandably ill-informed about the Super Tenere. So that's no good to you either.

As Mr. Efficiency said "5. The only really great things I've heard about the bike are from owners," He says it as if the owners wouldn't know. Who better to ask?

Basically the bikes are very close in many ways, and it really comes down to personal preference, and whether you're prepared to deal with the known BMW problems vs unknown Yamaha ones. If price comes into it, and you're in the USA, Yamaha wins hands down. But if you prefer to pay the BMW tax so you can get that "clubhouse feel" at your local BMW dealers, go ahead. Just be aware some of your money goes that way when you pay for the bike.

Lots of good info here
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630631
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595933

plus multiple threads in Beasts and a whole forum here

http://www.yamahasupertenere.com

Trevor

Pot/Kettle

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote