Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2011, 01:46 PM   #46
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
I see, so really you WANTED a GS bias so you could justify going and spending the money on a GS, rather than doing the sensible thing and buying an S10? Well if you have your heart set on a GS, just go get it and then we won't have to waste our time on this thread
And you say the GS guys drink all the kool aid?

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:56 PM   #47
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
And you say the GS guys drink all the kool aid?

Jim
No, I didn't. I think this bike has the potential to gain a cult following (just like the GS) but for different reasons.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:00 PM   #48
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Pot/Kettle

Jim
I could ask you to be more specific, but I won't.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:02 PM   #49
Schickmeister
Youngin'

Oddometer: 2,672
I'm not making any claims to performance or reliability...but DAMN that bike is ugly.

And this is coming from a guy who owned a Versys and now a GSA.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:09 PM   #50
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schickmeister View Post
I'm not making any claims to performance or reliability...but DAMN that bike is ugly.

Yes, but it's prettier than my V-Strom so it's a step forward in that department. GSA is no beauty queen tho, in case you hadn't noticed...
Old 08-30-2011, 02:24 PM   #51
Schickmeister
Youngin'

Oddometer: 2,672
Quote:
Yes, but it's prettier than my V-Strom so it's a step forward in that department. GSA is no beauty queen tho, in case you hadn't noticed...
I know...which just strengthens my argument
Old 08-30-2011, 03:01 PM   #52
icebox
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,028
cults

Quote:
No, I didn't. I think this bike has the potential to gain a cult following (just like the GS) but for different reasons.

Almost every bike has a cult following, Stroms, especially wees have their own brand of fanatics. KLR is loved and despised, not sure why any of us would despise ANY bike, anything with two wheels beats the shite out of another mini van. Why are 88% of mini van drivers brain dead? oops another thread. Ducati riders have their own identity, and Guzzis you grow to love, I have been told. Don't know, have never owned one. And then the ultimate cult, Hogs. Maybe I will finally get a Harley when I get old, right now my knee still can hold up a GS most days, and when it can't my back can still pick one up. Maybe I just have to wait for Yamaha to bring over the 660 Tenere to get a Yamaha Dual Sport under 500 ponds. I am glad yamaha brought the S10 here, the more manufacturers there are in the DS market, the better the bikes get. And the more choices I have, I just hope we don't get a HP race, because more displacement and HP is not the answer to me. Usable torque, low CG, and low overall weight and a long enough chassis for a passenger and luggage is what be will be buying. Yet to see a S10 on the road up here, but looking forward to it.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:15 PM   #53
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schickmeister View Post

Damn right it is. It's fugly like a Honey Badger and rides like one too. It eats any type of road you throw at it.

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:33 PM   #54
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,874
I had a short test ride on a Tenere a few months back. IMO you need to be on the road for a couple days to really know a bike so I can't comment how the Yamaha performs where it counts. While I found nothing to fault except maybe a little bland-, The Yamaha felt outclassed by my R1150GS. Simply no comparing it to the 2011 Adventure I rode the same day.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:30 AM   #55
Animo
Beastly n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
While I found nothing to fault except maybe a little bland-, The Yamaha felt outclassed by my R1150GS. Simply no comparing it to the 2011 Adventure I rode the same day.
Let me guess, you rode the bike with TCS1 and Touring Mode?

Old 08-31-2011, 09:03 AM   #56
Mr.Efficiency
Adventure Wuss

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa12 Pilot View Post
I like the R1,200gs and the GSA, they were my dream bikes for years. I almost bought a GS when the Tenere arrived in Mexico and I am extremely pleased with the bike. I am sure I would have been just as pleased with a GS or GSA.

I read this sentence thrown around quite a bit as a Tenere/GS comparison, but I still do not understand it:

What exactly do you get more of when you pay more for a GS? Heated seats? A windshield wiper? Free back massages after a long ride from your friendly BMW dealership?

When I bought the Tenere I didn’t see it as "getting less" or "getting more". (BTW the GS costs less than the Tenere in Mexico)

Maybe you guys can help me understand the "more for more", or the "get what you pay for" (that you do not get from a Tenere, per example) statements.
Actually, your statement really defines the answer. The GS is a dream bike, the Yamaha is a good substitute. The GS is your dream bike, and you took a pass. I'm also certain I would be happy with a super Ten. But I didn't want to be happy or compromise and we are doing a comparo here. Iwanted the whole package performance and handling, legendary reliability (and don't let the boo birds get to you, my current GS has just ticked off 36k without a hiccup and all home-based maintenance.) I wanted daddy, I wanted the bike with the rep and quality build and gnarly performance that only the GS has. But make no mistake, in every level set comparo I've seen and according to guys that own both... the Tenere just isn't the GS. It is cheap, that's good... but who, overall built the best bike? The GS is lighter, performs better and has better goodies. The dealer experience is very nice. The BMW can handle circles around it on the road.

I love all motorcycles; I love the Tenere. But if you had your sights set on a GS and got something else, well, IMHO, you're missing quite a bit. Ride a Tenere for a weekend, then ride a GS for a weekend. That's all I can say.

But then ride the Ducati, ride the KTM, ride the Motoguzzi.... I would pick any of those bikes before the Tenere, personally speaking. I just don't think that it's as simple as GS vs. Tenere, because it's just not that good a competiton. I would look at the five bikes I like more than the Tenere in the class before comparing it with the GS. I would way rather have the Triumph than the Super Ten, and I can go ride/buy one this weekend. Same with the Duc, which as long as you're not going to ride a lot off road, the Ducati is the holy grail of performance.

And then finally, If I was a heavy off-roader, I'd get a more robust enduro than any of them. See KTM or Husaberg.

So, if somebody asks the question, which one. Even looking back at the $5000 I wasted (yep, I know I wasted it) I still wanted nirvana, I wanted THE bike, not an appropriate substitute. And no matter what anyone says, the Ten just can't do all the things the GS can and it's not as nicely appointed and it's well, just not a GS.

Mr.Efficiency screwed with this post 08-31-2011 at 09:10 AM
Mr.Efficiency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:08 AM   #57
s-flow
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Maybe I can help,I rode both side by side before choosing the "best" bike.

The Super Ténéré is a bike to go fast with, it is exellent above ~130km/h while the GS engine start to feel
strained above 125km/h, at low speeds the GS might be a tad more silent and smooth.

The GS feels heavier to ride, the faster you go the worse it gets. To make a quick turn while breaking is scary
on the GS while the Ténéré does it in a proper manner.

Weather protection is better on GS at stock configuration but shorter people like me gets a nice protection from
Yamahas stock screen.

The gearbox is a bit smoother on the GS and the engine noise is lower too.

I choosed the Super Ténéré for the great stearing, low speed balance and the engine that in my opinion is superior. At
the end I had the choise to buy any bike I'd like and not leaning to any brand over another.

The Ténéré grows a lot during the ownership, hopefully its the same with the BMW.

Ride both before you decide! Good Luck.
s-flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:58 AM   #58
Animo
Beastly n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Efficiency View Post
Actually, your statement really defines the answer. The GS is a dream bike, the Yamaha is a good substitute. The GS is your dream bike, and you took a pass. I'm also certain I would be happy with a super Ten. But I didn't want to be happy or compromise and we are doing a comparo here. Iwanted the whole package performance and handling, legendary reliability (and don't let the boo birds get to you, my current GS has just ticked off 36k without a hiccup and all home-based maintenance.) I wanted daddy, I wanted the bike with the rep and quality build and gnarly performance that only the GS has. But make no mistake, in every level set comparo I've seen and according to guys that own both... the Tenere just isn't the GS. It is cheap, that's good... but who, overall built the best bike? The GS is lighter, performs better and has better goodies. The dealer experience is very nice. The BMW can handle circles around it on the road.
I do realize this is the BMW forum and coming here to criticize a BMW product would not be proper. After all I will not come to your house and criticize your aging furniture, but I have to shake my head when I read statements of that kind that.

I understand the OP wanted to read that the bike he is interested in, the r1200gs, should be the bike to purchase. You cannot find a better place for that than the BMW forum. The same question should have been asked in Beasts and that would have been the only way to compare what owners really feel about the two bikes. On the Beast forum every single person who owned a GS and purchased a Tenere is very happy to have done so, and will never go back to BMW, it is not as you state the other way around.

I think perhaps the beginning of my statement was written incorrectly. The GS and GSA were my dream bikes for years, unfortunately for years there was no equivalent in CC class or type of motorcycle. I paid $6,000us more to purchase the Tenere over the R1200gs, not less. My purchase was not a way to save money, it was a way to assure I was purchasing the latest technology available at that time and it did cost more.

When the Tenere finally arrived in Mexico, just a week before I was going to buy a GS it was a natural choice to purchase a brand new designed bike over an aging, old design such as the GS.

I followed the Tenere being designed for 3yrs. Yamaha's design and electronics were researched and tested for years before the bike went into production. The Tenere is truly a new revolutionary bike.

The XT1200Z was not simply placed into the market as a copy of an existing dual purpose bike, or a copy of a GS for that matter. It was an evolution of the legendary XT660Z. The differences between a GS and a Tenere are overwhelming, hence the statement earlier of "Pot/Kettle" was correct.

One needs to understand that the Super Tenere is not a Chinese manufactured "copy bike". The Tenere is built by one of the most successful motorcycle manufacturers in the World, Yamaha.

It was not a leap of faith on my part, it was not a risk and it was not the unknown. Moto GP is overwhelmed by Yamaha and has been for years. (All that BMW has managed to do in MotoGP is to donate a friggin pace car) Motocross the very same, Yamaha overwhelms. Yamaha knows bikes, unfortunately many Americans do not know Yamaha and/or the reliability or the quality of their products.

Had BMW completely redesigned their final drive, their electronics, their engine for that matter I would have taken a closer look at the GS. But to buy a bike that has not been updated for years is senseless. Sure, they keep coming out with different color schemes, but the GS has basically been the same old bike since 2004. I know they made small changes, but they were very small changes, if any.

To say "Well, the Tenere is just not a GS" is correct, but to think that in a negative sense is closed minded.

The Tenere is a bike that has a final drive that is built for more torque that could possibly be produced by a 1,200cc bike. It has an unmatched traction control system and unmatched ABS and UBS systems. It is a bike that allows you to use 3 different traction control settings and two throttle control setting in order to customize the power output and the response one would like from a bike (multi-mode traction control system and electronic throttle control (YCC-T) with programs to support off-road use, switchable engine mapping, and combined brakes with ABS) An onboard programmable computer, yes, no dealer or aftermarket required.

I could go on, it is not a GS. Had I purchased a GS and the Tenere would have come out a few months later I would have sold the GS in order to buy the Tenere. Newer is better, especially a brand new design.

It depends on the biker, yes. It depends if the biker wants innovation over an aging emblem.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:03 PM   #59
McFuryMcNugget
me specie in dea ist

Oddometer: 499
Yamaha is the best bike in the world.

The best seat
the best engine
the best long run history
the best maker
the best brand
the best cult forum
the best rep
the best anything

Now go away.
Whats next ? Man walking on the moon ?.
All typing is done with One Finger using a MacPro Computer.
McFuryMcNugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:40 PM   #60
Animo
Beastly n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFuryMcNugget View Post
The best seat
the best engine
the best long run history
the best maker
the best brand