the best engine
the best long run history
the best maker
the best brand
the best cult forum
the best rep
the best anything

Now go away.
Ah McFury, you've done it again. Thanks for your substantive contribution to the conversation.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:06 PM   #62
pgods
Godspeed rider

Oddometer: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schickmeister View Post
I'm not making any claims to performance or reliability...but DAMN that bike is ugly.

And this is coming from a guy who owned a Versys and now a GSA.

+1
my GS may be odd looking to some, but at least it's... interesting.

pgods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:32 PM   #63
McFuryMcNugget
me specie in dea ist

Oddometer: 499
Hello Boys.

Long live Yamaha in its own forum iiiiiiiiiiiiiihaaaaaaaaa

My best boys.

McFury
Whats next ? Man walking on the moon ?.
All typing is done with One Finger using a MacPro Computer.
McFuryMcNugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:52 PM   #64
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFuryMcNugget View Post
Long live Yamaha in its own forum iiiiiiiiiiiiiihaaaaaaaaa

My best boys.

McFury
Did you ever visit Yamaha to try the Tenere as you had said you would?

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:04 PM   #65
McFuryMcNugget
me specie in dea ist

Hi.

No.

I said it was strange how things go..

Even if the yamaha is on sale in Iceland i have not taken a look at it.

All joke aside what are you looking to get out of this compare ? tread no specs no tec no nothng

Hey if your ever my way give me a beep we can take a ride

Your Buddy on Ice.

McFury.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:06 PM   #66
Mr.Efficiency
Adventure Wuss

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa12 Pilot View Post
I do realize this is the BMW forum and coming here to criticize a BMW product would not be proper. After all I will not come to your house and criticize your aging furniture, but I have to shake my head when I read statements of that kind that.

I understand the OP wanted to read that the bike he is interested in, the r1200gs, should be the bike to purchase. You cannot find a better place for that than the BMW forum. The same question should have been asked in Beasts and that would have been the only way to compare what owners really feel about the two bikes. On the Beast forum every single person who owned a GS and purchased a Tenere is very happy to have done so, and will never go back to BMW, it is not as you state the other way around.

I think perhaps the beginning of my statement was written incorrectly. The GS and GSA were my dream bikes for years, unfortunately for years there was no equivalent in CC class or type of motorcycle. I paid $6,000us more to purchase the Tenere over the R1200gs, not less. My purchase was not a way to save money, it was a way to assure I was purchasing the latest technology available at that time and it did cost more.

When the Tenere finally arrived in Mexico, just a week before I was going to buy a GS it was a natural choice to purchase a brand new designed bike over an aging, old design such as the GS.

I followed the Tenere being designed for 3yrs. Yamaha's design and electronics were researched and tested for years before the bike went into production. The Tenere is truly a new revolutionary bike.

The XT1200Z was not simply placed into the market as a copy of an existing dual purpose bike, or a copy of a GS for that matter. It was an evolution of the legendary XT660Z. The differences between a GS and a Tenere are overwhelming, hence the statement earlier of "Pot/Kettle" was correct.

One needs to understand that the Super Tenere is not a Chinese manufactured "copy bike". The Tenere is built by one of the most successful motorcycle manufacturers in the World, Yamaha.

It was not a leap of faith on my part, it was not a risk and it was not the unknown. Moto GP is overwhelmed by Yamaha and has been for years. (All that BMW has managed to do in MotoGP is to donate a friggin pace car) Motocross the very same, Yamaha overwhelms. Yamaha knows bikes, unfortunately many Americans do not know Yamaha and/or the reliability or the quality of their products.

Had BMW completely redesigned their final drive, their electronics, their engine for that matter I would have taken a closer look at the GS. But to buy a bike that has not been updated for years is senseless. Sure, they keep coming out with different color schemes, but the GS has basically been the same old bike since 2004. I know they made small changes, but they were very small changes, if any.

To say "Well, the Tenere is just not a GS" is correct, but to think that in a negative sense is closed minded.

The Tenere is a bike that has a final drive that is built for more torque that could possibly be produced by a 1,200cc bike. It has an unmatched traction control system and unmatched ABS and UBS systems. It is a bike that allows you to use 3 different traction control settings and two throttle control setting in order to customize the power output and the response one would like from a bike (multi-mode traction control system and electronic throttle control (YCC-T) with programs to support off-road use, switchable engine mapping, and combined brakes with ABS) An onboard programmable computer, yes, no dealer or aftermarket required.

I could go on, it is not a GS. Had I purchased a GS and the Tenere would have come out a few months later I would have sold the GS in order to buy the Tenere. Newer is better, especially a brand new design.

It depends on the biker, yes. It depends if the biker wants innovation over an aging emblem.
If any of the statements about the drive train or electronics were true, I'd say you were right. But the BMW is the aging brand with the proven electronics package ABS and ASC, all of which have served me well on and off road. And I can turn it off if I want. I don't need to fiddle with my engine, the bike was fast when I got it and it's faster now.

About all those statements tell me is I'm right to also like the Ducati a lot more than the tenere... because they prove it! Their performance is a leap and a bound, the suspension is world class. Instead of listing all the unquantifiable features with no benefits, the Ducati could just up and snatch the milk money from a Tenere... and it's not a GS either.

Every professional comparo I've seen favors the GS, so I think I'm on the right track there. I'm just adding there are several other bikes I like a lot more than the Tenere that are competitors to the GS. If I were choosing tomorrow... I'd still pick the GS. But that Ducati is awesome, the Triumph is the bang for the buck champ, and the KTM has real off road cred.... IMHO leaving the Tenere a very distant 5th
Old 08-31-2011, 02:23 PM   #67
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Efficiency View Post
the Triumph is the bang for the buck champ, and the KTM has real off road cred.... IMHO leaving the Tenere a very distant 5th
The Triumph? Cool bike for what it is - but it's not far off the price of the Super Tenere, with fewer accoutrement... Depends what you're looking for, but if it's a bike that will soak up the miles and be pretty decent off-road, the Yam comes out ahead. If your'e more dirt-focussed, go for the Tiger, or the 800GS for that matter. All about the same money. (within a grand or two)
Old 08-31-2011, 03:16 PM   #68
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFuryMcNugget View Post
No.

I said it was strange how things go..

Even if the yamaha is on sale in Iceland i have not taken a look at it.

All joke aside what are you looking to get out of this compare ? tread no specs no tec no nothng

Hey if your ever my way give me a beep we can take a ride

Your Buddy on Ice.

McFury.
That would be great, I would love to ride Iceland, the ride reports look great!

I don’t think he wanted to compare, he just wanted people to tell him the R1,200gs is a great bike, which is why he started the thread on this forum.

The thread should have been named "Tell me that the R1,200gs is great" and the same would have been accomplished.

The GS is great, but to call the Tenere pure crap, not reliable, flimsy and not built up to standards is pure fiction in one's mind. To place the Tenere in 5th place after smaller 800cc bikes is also comical, talk about pot/kettle.

The Multistrada, now that is a great bike! From what I gather better traction control settings and equally good abs/ubs as the Tenere, but pavement oriented. Not that we are comparing Ducati, we are comparing BWM/Yamaha.

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:47 PM   #69
McFuryMcNugget
me specie in dea ist

Supa.

Well the bmw has raised the bar high and many a maker are having a hard time geting up there.

And they are told to have a water head coming 2013 in Europe.

Maybe they will be the top scooter for city traffic them

The rep is world wide and all tales say the same ¨the perfect do it all bike¨.

All bikes are good. Life is good.

Yeah beep me if your ever my way Supa.

McFury.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:45 AM   #70
Ze_zaskar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Funny how people keep attaking other's bike choices to justify their purchases to them selfs.

I have riden the ST and the GSA. Own a ST.
Their are really great bikes, with strengths and weeknesses.

ST pros:
-It has a real frame, as well as conventional USD forks and a double sided swing arm;
-the chassis apears to be clearly more robust, time will tell;
-It has a conventional cabling sistem, without Can-Bus;
-The brakes and ABS are far better, even off road;
-With some simple protection (SW or Altrider crashbars) it makes it more crashable than the GS;
-The suspensions are much better off road;
-Better lights;
-Much lower CoG, super easy to lift.
-Likely to be more reliable;
-Abundance of dealers.

GSA pros:
-Much better wind protection;
-Engine seems to rev up happier and faster;
-Front suspension is better on road;
-Bigger tank;
-Marginaly better mpg;
-Much better OME equipment. On the ST you have to rely on Touratech, H&B, SW Motech, etc;
-Very cool dealers. On a Yamaha dealer you feel like you are on a mechanic, on a BMW's you feel like in a club, and that's cool;
-Really good riders equipment line.

Someone once said, and I agree, the GSA compares to a Range Rover and the ST to a Land Cuiser 100.

With this said, I like booth bikes, but wouldn't trade my ST for what I need. A rider that make less miles a week, less off road, or likes more to ride in groups might be happier with the GSA.
My 2c
Ze_zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:50 AM   #71
McFuryMcNugget
me specie in dea ist

When the time comes.

We have road race we have boxing we have sprint we have a event for at comparison in all categories of life and worldly things.

From my gps location the only contender in the years to come is the Ducati since they have team´d up with Mercedes-Bens.

Italian design and flare and hard core Mercedes Bens engineering i belive many bike works will have to take notice.

And engineering is the key to a good bike

The yamaha is the crown in Japan and have the know how and money to do a good production.And they do.

In the Lexus LSA .

Team Yamaha where ask to take the motor and make it the best motor for this super class car and the mission was to win the Japan super car shoot out ( win the Nissan GTR )

By no means is a Yamaha a dead beat no go all show bike,,,,, its good,,,, but not the best in this class.

But they are the winners in other classes like the 250 cc.

Just my 2 krónur from the upper North.

I would look out for nummber 2 there is a sniff in the air. And i feel it in the water ( lord of the rings )
Old 09-01-2011, 07:06 AM   #72
McFuryMcNugget
me specie in dea ist

And for the none BMW rider.

I have heard from the grapewine

People are some what intimitaded by the presench of the BMW and Rider the bike looks great and is macho and well made.

Its like looking up the food chain.

The Rider is clean cut not like the Village People ( Old pop Band ) who ride Harley-Davidson with no helmet ??

Ok im dropping a bomb.

But hey im in the G forum.

And i have yet to go of the reservation to another forum and blast there.

So enjoy the this song with me.The girl is the BMW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17lkdqoLt44&ob=av3e
Old 09-01-2011, 07:20 AM   #73
MANXMAN
Overlander

Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze_zaskar View Post
or likes more to ride in groups might be happier with the GSA.My 2c
Could you explain this one
MANXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:37 AM   #74
thecynic OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
The debate rages on.... That is why I had some trepidation on starting this whole thing off. I am not trying to incite a riot, just wanting to hear people's experience with both bikes and to hear some of the issues that people are having. I am learning more about some of the known issues with BMW and I understand that the jury is still out on the ST in many respects.

This group is such a great resource! Thanks!!!
thecynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:34 AM   #75
Ze_zaskar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANXMAN View Post
Could you explain this one
The ownership of a bike does not limits to the bike itself. BMW dealers often organise group rides to some interesting routes, so that's why I said that.

I want to add two more things to my previous post.
First, I forgot to add one thing to the ST pros:
-It has a multi disc wet clutch on a traditional location. In other words, this means a more durable clutch, which you can abuse a lot more a that doesn't means to dismantle half the bike when replacement is needed.

Another thing, US owners tend to refer to the GS as the "One", the "Original", "the One the others copy". Well, when they say things like these, we have to consider the reality of the dual sport/adv touring market in the US on the las two or three decades. The first king size, true adv touring bike that conquered the market in the US was the BMW, so its easy for some of those living there that there was a world of adv dual sports on other continents before they knew what this segment was. 10, 12 or even 15 years before a 1150GS became fashionable in the US, people where riding Africa Twins, Ténérés, Super Ténérés or Elephants all over Europe and some of the rest of the world.

Please take the example of some of the posters here. If you like or want to promote the GS you can say things like "the telelever is better on twisties" or "the stock exhaust is much better". Don't come with things like calling all the others copies or worse, cheap copies.
The ST is every bit as expensively designed and built as the GS. It's even totally built and assembled in Japan. Can you say the same about the GS and Germany?

Even if the copy thing was true (which its not, just do some research), would that be serious to the point of eclipsing the advantages or deffects of a bike? In the late 80's or early 90's there where 4 or 5 dakar inspired bikes on the european market that where basically copies of each others, damn, even the lights where similar. Was that bad? Hell no, they where all great bikes, with something special about each one that riders could identify with.

The top 5 1000 superbikes are more identical between them than the the 3 more discussed adv bikes here.

Don't take this in a bad way, but please don't be dumb and shallow with your arguments. Lets make this topic an informative one, with facts and experiences, and less a quote from a manufacturers brochure or some magazine. And please, don't take magazine reviews or comparos as arguments, those testers are the top of dumbness when it comes to adventure bikes
Ze_zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote