Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2011, 12:16 PM   #121
McFuryMcNugget
me specie in dea ist

Oddometer: 499
Yeah its a dakar base seat.

On the tenere.

Hell for what its worth

BMW and Yamaha can send me there bikes for a full blown test.

Il be Fair and Honest.

And my findings will be sent to both companys as well as ride report.

I will be waiting in the post office for delivery every day until 5.

McFury.
Whats next ? Man walking on the moon ?.
All typing is done with One Finger using a MacPro Computer.
McFuryMcNugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:07 PM   #122
JBeemer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
"As for standing behind their product, Yamaha fixed a lot of "tickers" YEARS after their warranties expired, plus doing these repairs for people who had used bikes and were not actually Yamaha customers. Same with some other issues. They would have addressed the grounding spider issue sooner if they weren't swamped with another issue. (Even Yamaha has finite resources.) The biggest problems I've seen were not with Yamaha-USA, they were with a few individual dealers."

Well I got the dealer and Yamaha USA corporate involved, and Yami USA basically denied they had a problem. I know they fixed some of the tickers, but how they selected the ones they fixed and the ones they didn't seemed pretty random. Their corporate office telling me that the FJR didn't have this problem (while they were fixing some of them) only lost them a customer. I'm sure a lot of people have had this type of issue with any given manufacturer, so I don't think this is exclusively a Yamaha issue, my incident just happened to be with Yamaha. That said, I'll never buy another one.
JBeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:43 AM   #123
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBeemer View Post
"As for standing behind their product, Yamaha fixed a lot of "tickers" YEARS after their warranties expired, plus doing these repairs for people who had used bikes and were not actually Yamaha customers. Same with some other issues. They would have addressed the grounding spider issue sooner if they weren't swamped with another issue. (Even Yamaha has finite resources.) The biggest problems I've seen were not with Yamaha-USA, they were with a few individual dealers."

Well I got the dealer and Yamaha USA corporate involved, and Yami USA basically denied they had a problem. I know they fixed some of the tickers, but how they selected the ones they fixed and the ones they didn't seemed pretty random. Their corporate office telling me that the FJR didn't have this problem (while they were fixing some of them) only lost them a customer. I'm sure a lot of people have had this type of issue with any given manufacturer, so I don't think this is exclusively a Yamaha issue, my incident just happened to be with Yamaha. That said, I'll never buy another one.
Glad you have alternatives then. I have similar feelings about Triumph. Great bikes and near my sis in Florida is a great dealer for support. I'll not buy another because we don't have the support near me. No matter what I needed, the bike got stranded till mail ordered parts could arrive.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #124
Geografo
Lost Armadillo in Heat

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFuryMcNugget View Post
On the tenere.

Hell for what its worth

BMW and Yamaha can send me there bikes for a full blown test.

Il be Fair and Honest.

And my findings will be sent to both companys as well as ride report.

I will be waiting in the post office for delivery every day until 5.

McFury.
My, my, you're picky! Hell, I'll settle for Yamaha sending a the Super Tenere to a dealer anywhere within a 2-hour drive/ride of here (the closest BMW dealership to my neck of the woods). Then I can also check out another BMW dealer's rapport with its customer base while I test ride one of theirs...I'll ride my own GS there, of course. I cannot say that my opinion will be better than McFury's, but I will be cheaper (i.e., the low-ball bid...kinda like some of the contracts I have had to deal with when purchasing anything on grants or otherwise through our contracting system).

Current Rides: 2007 R1200 GS

Past Rides:

1972 Yamaha 60 Mini-Enduro
1971 Yamaha 125 Enduro
1974 Suzuki GT 750 "Water Buffalo"--like a true water buffalo, big and heavy, but deceptively fast
2006 Harley-Davidson XL 883 (traded-in on Corolla...)
Geografo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:08 PM   #125
McFuryMcNugget
me specie in dea ist

Oddometer: 499
Lol.

Hi Geografo.

we have a competiton

I like it.

You have to remeber i will wait in the post office for delivery

My best Geo,

McFury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geografo View Post
My, my, you're picky! Hell, I'll settle for Yamaha sending a the Super Tenere to a dealer anywhere within a 2-hour drive/ride of here (the closest BMW dealership to my neck of the woods). Then I can also check out another BMW dealer's rapport with its customer base while I test ride one of theirs...I'll ride my own GS there, of course. I cannot say that my opinion will be better than McFury's, but I will be cheaper (i.e., the low-ball bid...kinda like some of the contracts I have had to deal with when purchasing anything on grants or otherwise through our contracting system).
Whats next ? Man walking on the moon ?.
All typing is done with One Finger using a MacPro Computer.
McFuryMcNugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:29 AM   #126
deaninkl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Here in Malaysia the Tenere is at least the same price as the GS, its heavier, and is not yet tried and trusted.

For my thoughts the Yamaha would need to be at least 20% cheaper that a GS.

Go take a look at a 90's Tenere or TDM, then look a similar aged BMW. There will be no comparison. The BMW is a quality product, Yamaha has improved since the 90's but still not as good as a German BMW.

I think Yamaha have got the Tenere seriously wrong in its pricing. lets see how it sell.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:32 PM   #127
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by deaninkl View Post
Here in Malaysia the Tenere is at least the same price as the GS, its heavier, and is not yet tried and trusted.
Maybe not yet tried and trusted, but it's been a year and practically NOTHING has shown up in the way of problems. Nick Sanders did 50,000 miles in a little over 3 months (Pan-Am x3) - total problems = fork seals, leaky drive o-ring (caused by a strap wrapping around the wheel) and some minor electrical thing with the headlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaninkl View Post
I think Yamaha have got the Tenere seriously wrong in its pricing. lets see how it sell.
Yes it's curious that they priced on par with the GS in other countries, but way less in the US ($7000 less if you option up the GS to match the stock S10). You might want to recheck pricing in Malaysia though, after adding spoked wheels, ABS, traction control to the GS. Also, if you are not one to do your own servicing, you need to add service costs to the BMW at 6000 mile intervals, it's going to cost a lot more to own than the Super Tenere at 24000 mile service intervals.

A comparison here - not saying it's completely fair and accurate, but it will give you some idea...

http://supertenere1200.com/think-outside-the-boxer/
Old 09-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #128
Schickmeister
Youngin'

Oddometer: 2,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
Maybe not yet tried and trusted, but it's been a year and practically NOTHING has shown up in the way of problems. Nick Sanders did 50,000 miles in a little over 3 months (Pan-Am x3) - total problems = fork seals, leaky drive o-ring (caused by a strap wrapping around the wheel) and some minor electrical thing with the headlight.

Yes it's curious that they priced on par with the GS in other countries, but way less in the US ($7000 less if you option up the GS to match the stock S10). You might want to recheck pricing in Malaysia though, after adding spoked wheels, ABS, traction control to the GS. Also, if you are not one to do your own servicing, you need to add service costs to the BMW at 6000 mile intervals, it's going to cost a lot more to own than the Super Tenere at 24000 mile service intervals.

A comparison here - not saying it's completely fair and accurate, but it will give you some idea...

http://supertenere1200.com/think-outside-the-boxer/
It's not a comparison if you only point out what's "better" than the GS on the ST. That is merely a list of ST specs...of course the GS doesn't have them.

This tells me nothing.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #129
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schickmeister View Post
It's not a comparison if you only point out what's "better" than the GS on the ST. That is merely a list of ST specs...of course the GS doesn't have them.

This tells me nothing.

You'll need to elaborate a bit - I don't get you. This comparo was put together by Yamaha marketing and they could have done a much better job - but it's not so bad that it "tells you nothing".
Old 11-27-2011, 06:57 AM   #130
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,802
December 2011 Motorcycle Consumer News compares the 2011 R1200GS (updated engine) with the 2012 Super Tenere. The comparison is extensive: six full pages of text and comparison charts.

To start off, there's no mention of the biggest sticking point for many prospective R1200GS buyers: final drive failures. The Yamaha has a two-sided swingarm with hypoid gears that should prove reliable - but is newish.

Shortest possible summary is the BMW is lighter, faster, has a better dirt riding impression, and much more expensive. S10 had better road suspension, instruments, and street riding feel but is a little less capable off hard surfaces.

Engine: BMW, S10
Clutch & transmission: tie
Suspension: S10, BMW
Chassis and handling: tie
Brakes, wheels, tires: BMW, S10
Ergonomics: tie
Riding impression: tie (BMW dirt, S10 road)
Instruments: S10, BMW
Value: S10, BMW
Overall: BMW, S10

The BMW was 43.5 lbs lighter.
The BMW was quicker: 1/4 in 11.45 @ 117 versus 11.89 @ 109.6
The BMW stopped in 117 ft from 60 versus 130.
The BMW delivered substantially better fuel economy: 44 versus 37.9.

It's pretty clear from the dimensions that Yamaha "went to school on" the R1200GS as many of the specifications are identical. The testers wondered aloud why in the world Yamaha didn't work hard to get the weight closer to the BMW. The 2013 GS is rumored to be water-cooled, so that difference may shrink.

In terms of value, the Yamaha blew the BMW away. The base price of the R1200GS is $14,950 while the Yamaha is $13,900. The Yamaha had an as-tested price of $14,950.

The GS required upgrades to be similarly equipped. BMW charges extra for the Standard Package (heated grips, handguards and ABS) raising the MSRP to $16,400. The Premium Package adds the Endura ESA (Electronic Suspension adjustment) on-board computer and pannier mounts, raising the price to $17,695. But the cross-spoke wheels are an additional $2,451 for a total of $20,146 and traction control (standard on the S10) is not available. Adding crash bars, panniers and cylinder head guards raised the as-tested price to $21,708.67.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:05 PM   #131
longslowdistance
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
A summary:
BMW better off road despite far inferior suspension.
Yamaha better on road
Yamaha too heavy
BMW too expensive
longslowdistance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #132
Matt-tastic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
anyone have any idea what the load capacity is on the Tenere? I was easily able to find the GS's, but can't seem to locate the Tenere's capacity anywhere?
Matt-tastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #133
whisperquiet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-tastic View Post
anyone have any idea what the load capacity is on the Tenere? I was easily able to find the GS's, but can't seem to locate the Tenere's capacity anywhere?
Per my owner's manual......................209 kgs 461 lbs.

Not bad............
whisperquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #134
jtfbb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Super Tenere at 24000 mile service intervals
So you only change the oil every 24K miles???? - After all that basically what the GS 6k service is with the valve clearances just a check and rarely needing adjustment (camhead models) and it is sooo easy to do.

Quote:
But the cross-spoke wheels are an additional $2,451
Gee thats high when I bought my 2010 model the additional cost for spoke wheels was arround $500.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #135
Matt-tastic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Thanks!
Matt-tastic is offline   Reply With Quote