Outstanding

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:09 AM   #47
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,456
Yes, I know that tech inspection routine. Of course, my bike always looked pretty ratty, which never helped at tech inspection. My last season, I decided to clean up everything, and paint it all one color using proper, shiny automotive paint. Made tech go much faster - I deprived them of a reason to suspect poor preparation.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:07 AM   #48
CosentinoEngineering OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
For some reason my rear brake was air-permeable and always needed to be bled. The tech guys loved to find something to make me come back and I was always getting caught out by the rear brake.
CosentinoEngineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:43 PM   #49
CosentinoEngineering OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Scotty, I need more power!

Just As Kirk was always bitching to Scotty how he needed more power, a roadracer is never satisfied with the power they have. Todd was adapting to the new chassis and suspension quite nicely but when up against bikes with nearly double the displacement there is only so much a rider can do through the turns without getting taken down the straights. In the search for more power we left no stone unturned. I massaged everything in the existing engine, 64Hp. We got a bunch of race parts from Ron Wood, 64Hp. Purchased a complete 75Hp engine that made.......64Hp. I was beginning to think that Peter's dyno maxed out at 64Hp. We tried big bore low revving engines, small bore screamers and everything in between. 42mm roundslide, 45mm flatslide, 48mm flatslide......64Hp.

I finally gave up on making the existing head make more power. The next avenue was to see what other non-Rotax options were available. At this point I walked into a friend's shop just after he bought a Ducati 999 engine off of ebay and was in the process of disassembling it. I saw the cylinder head and thought, that looks about the size of the Rotax head and they both have 4 studs. Could it fit? I was quite sure that a modern 4 valve head would flow more than the mid-80's design of the Rotax and proceeded to buy my own head from ebay and see what I could see. What I found out was that the head and cylinder assembly could definitely fit on the Rotax crankcases.

I needed to resize the cylinder spigot in the cases, bore new cylinder stud holes in the cylinder and head castings, and arrange for oil feed to the cams and oil drain back to the cases. Oh, I also had to design a camdrive system as the rotax is a single cam engine while the Ducati was twin cam. The chosen solution, with the assist of the engineers at Gates Belts, was a 1:2 reduction fron the crank to the exhaust cam and then a 1:1 from the exhaust cam to the intake cam. I was able to use stock belts but had to have custom pulleys made. After a bunch of work and money the engine was finally mechanically ready for testing.

The last item to take care of was to figure out how to run the fuel injection and computer. this was the first fuel injected engine I worked with so a large learning curve was ahead of me. After looking at the available generic ECUs and the contents of my wallet I decided to go with an Emerald M3DK setup from Emerald in the UK. The system and programming software was easy to understand and the ECU could be configured for nearly any engine type. A stack of cash and a few weeks later and I had all the electronics parts needed and only had to make a wiring harness to tie it all together.

Making the harness was a huge chore but its getting late so the rest will have to wait for another post.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #50
steve o 77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
that just might be the coolest thing I've ever seen. :
steve o 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:28 AM   #51
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
Bitchin'

(I have the feeling I'm gonna be saying that a lot more in this thread!!!)
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:19 AM   #52
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,395
Wow, I was there the whole time but hearing about it now I'm surprised you were ever ready to go to the track with us...

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:46 AM   #53
baldwithglasses
Godspeed, Robert

Oddometer: 795
Jesus, thecosman- I am in complete fear and awe. I dig your creativity and persistance!

My name's Len, and I'm subscribed.
baldwithglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:31 AM   #54
CosentinoEngineering OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Steve/Len, thanks, it's a huge effort but is quite rewarding when the bike does the biz.

Gregor, if I remember correctly I was rarely ready to leave for the track on time! Funny thing, at my recent Indy visit I realized that what I had made was a true GP bike. Every garage I looked in had a bike in various stages of disassembly. If Repsol Honda is tearing the bike down after practice then if I am doing the same thing I must be on the right track! I'll keep repeating that to myself......
Old 09-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #55
adiablolex
Lost again

Oddometer: 3,693
I'm really amazed at your persistence to perfection cosman, this kind of ingenuity and commitment is what America has been missing for a while now.

When I first moved to Canada (yes we are in America too, just the colder part) I was truly amazed at the scale of things, along with how advanced it all seemed in comparison to my little home town back in Greece.
Fast forward 24 years later and my amazement has turned into discust as I'm realizing that this never ending need for cheap overseas crap has hurt not only our economy(ies) but also our pride.

This right here is something to make all of us proud that people like you put their life and finances on the line in order to reinforce what's been missing all along.

Thanks you for sharing this, really appreciate it

Old 09-09-2011, 06:58 PM   #56
dukerollo
n00b

Oddometer: 4
The Dutax engine is great. I love this type of thing. In for updates.
dukerollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:59 PM   #57
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,371
speechless

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:55 AM   #58
jake28
Riding to the horizon.

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosman View Post

Absolute drool. That is fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

jake28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:11 AM   #59
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake28 View Post
Absolute drool. That is fantastic. Thanks for sharing.
That is a thing of beauty, isn't it.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:51 AM   #60
CosentinoEngineering OP
Gnarly Adventurer

adiablolex, i think it's hard to balance having an easy life and still retain a sense of meaning and purpose besides 'consume'. we'll figure it out sooner or later. hopefully sooner.

saliah, I'll cherish that brass balls award right up there with all my race trophies!