User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2011, 05:43 PM   #76
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,711
Saw you guys on the Cafe Racer tv show.

Fascinating story. Thanks for sharing it.
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:07 PM   #77
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,003
I think I know what's next but, I could be off by three clyinders.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:35 PM   #78
johnjen
Mod-U-Later

Oddometer: 15,202
This thread is so Fuk'n kewl…

I now have another MUST READ thread to follow.

JJ
Old 09-16-2011, 12:34 AM   #79
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,782
come on don't leave us hanging
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:16 PM   #80
River6822
Fat kid on a 950 SE

Oddometer: 357
Awesome and Welcome

Chris,

Amazing story. I've gotten bits and pieces of it over the last year or so, but having it all put together is, as another stated, inspirational.

See you the next time you are at Kolb's and good luck at Barber.

The other, other Scott from next door.
1993 Harley Café Project
River6822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:46 AM   #81
CosentinoEngineering OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
hint hint

Someone is on the right track.

http://www.fim-live.com/fileadmin/al...ocs/f_6127.pdf

It was official. No details to follow. Clear rules. What happened? But I'm getting ahead of myself.
CosentinoEngineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:23 AM   #82
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,307
I'm not an engineer, hell I can barely walk through a garage without tripping, but this is soooo cool to me! Sort of like Pyndon's on-going 950 thread...

IN!
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #83
Z50R
Not lost yet

Oddometer: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosman View Post
Someone is on the right track.

http://www.fim-live.com/fileadmin/al...ocs/f_6127.pdf

It was official. No details to follow. Clear rules. What happened? But I'm getting ahead of myself.

I like a few of these:

Quote:
Chassis will be a prototype, the design and construction of which is free within the constraints of the
FIM Grand Prix Technical Regulations. The frame, swing-arm, fuel tank, seat and cowling are
forbidden to use from a non-prototype as series production road-going motorcycle.

Construction materials will be limited to exclude expensive “non-conventional” materials and
manufacturing methods (a list will be issued).

The engine (excluding exhaust, throttle bodies and ECU) used in a race is available to be purchased
by another competitor in the same race for a fixed price of €20,000 (Euro). Such purchase request
must be made in writing to Race Direction within the protest period, that is within 60 minutes after the
official end of the race. The transaction and delivery will be completed immediately at the end of the
60 minute protest period and will be underwritten by IRTA. Teams refusing to sell when presented
with a valid request will be disqualified.
I think it would brake my heart if someone took my motor. Not from a financial/cheating standpoint so much as that is a lot of love and time for someone to take from you. I guess the rule of thumb has to be: make more than one of every thing you make.

Obviously the restrictions are for safety and to keep racing (relatively) affordable. Why are pneumatic activated valves forbidden? Are electronic activated valves allowed? I don't know if the technology is refined enough but there was talk of solenoids driving the valves and I see that the rules don't exclude it, has anyone done it yet?
Quote:
Pneumatic valve operation is not permitted.
This looks like an awesome hobby taken to the next level.
Z50R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #84
aprilian
Can I change this?

Oddometer: 406
Rules sometimes make me chuckle

Rear wheel max width 6.00" or 6.25"
Old 09-17-2011, 11:26 PM   #85
tex_downey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
so cool, so cool. i hope you are able to sell them one day.
tex_downey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:00 AM   #86
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z50R View Post
I think it would brake my heart if someone took my motor. Not from a financial/cheating standpoint so much as that is a lot of love and time for someone to take from you. I guess the rule of thumb has to be: make more than one of every thing you make
We talked about this and the idea was to make the engine inexpensively enough that you could afford it to be claimed every weekend. It's one advantage Chris has over Honda - he has little overhead and is willing to live on Ramen to see this project through.

Wow, Chris, those rules are amazing! If they stay in place Moto 2 would become the most interesting series in the world. It would be like the glory days of Bears with the Britten. The series needs it (and your bike) to shake it up. Hell, with real prototypes I'd rather watch that than MotoGP!

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:07 PM   #87
CosentinoEngineering OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Damn work

Always gets in the way of the fun projects. Sorry about dropping off for a few days, its been been a bit crazy around here.

Anyway, that post to the FIM website was the impetus behind changing my project from a single cylinder to a multi. That rule package was intended to create the replacement class for the 250GP class. A 250GP bike is a fearsome machine. It looks compact and manageable, but the 250cc two stroke powerplant has a viscous power delivery and can easily highside and send a rider into low earth orbit. Ask Gregor how his ankles are doing these days. His 250 was a lively one and he was never shy on the throttle! The GP change was a push from the manufacturers to mothball 2 stroke motorcycle racing in order to make room for 4 stroke machines intended to help them improve their production machines. You know, the street bikes they race in World Superbike.

After reading the initial rule package I knew what had to be done: build a true GP bike. A GP bike is a true race bike unlike most of what people see when they watch motorcycle racing. Now I may come off as a bit of a snob here, but so what. Most motorcycle racing is done by purchasing a street bike, removing a bunch of parts (lights, emissions controls) and then going racing. This is a perfectly acceptable way to go racing but if you're feeling a bit creative it can be quite limiting in that in the interest of keeping a level playing field you are not allowed to seriously modify or replace any major components. Bummer. A GP race bike is a vehicle that was never intended to be used on public roads. If you take a part off a GP bike it usually won't run, meaning that there is nothing on the bike that is not dedicated to going as fast as possible around a track. Lights, kickstand, even a starter system, are all considered not necessary for the task at hand: racing.

Anyway, for a speed freak and bike designer like myself a GP bike is the holy grail. To get a chance to actually design one from scratch is like......., well I can't even think of an appropriate analogy.

Here was the chance staring me in the face. I jumped in with both feet, not worrying about any of the what-ifs or other possible drawbacks. It was a few busy months. I was able to quickly determine that the chassis and suspension that had been designed for the big single would be just right for a V4 600cc. The only problem was that no current V4 600cc engine existed. Never one to shy away from a big challenge I enthusiastically started research on what a 600cc V4 configuration would be and how i could go about building several.

Once I had a high degree of confidence that the overall design was doable I started hunting up some funding as this would definitely be too much of stretch to go it alone. I am lucky enough to know a motorcycle collector why was enticed to help out with the project. He was mostly obsessed with vintage Norton race machines but that actually was a big help. He had in his collection several one-off factory race prototypes and knew the potential value of having a one-off to add to his collection. After a few meetings we agreed on how to proceed and I started in earnest to work out the incredible number of design details that would make or break the project.

Progress was smooth until the unthinkable happened. At this point I'll leave you all hanging again, but tomorrow I will continue on. I'll also start to put up more pretty pictures as this narrative stage is getting a bit boring for me to type and I assume for you all to read.

See you tomorrow....
CosentinoEngineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:37 PM   #88
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,850
Certainly NOT boring
Old 09-21-2011, 07:58 PM   #89
AKjeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,847
The narrative is fascinating, I love the back story and hearing about the design process.
I am looking forward to the engine pics too.

AKjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:26 PM   #90
katumo_jtb
bogus journeyer

Oddometer: 456
This thread is like crack. More!
katumo_jtb is offline   Reply With Quote