User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
Manymotos OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Acerbis 4.25 Gallon Tank Mounting Hardware

Does anyone know where I can find mounting hardware for my 98' DR350 4.25 gallon Acerbis fuel tank? I purchased my DR350 with the Acerbis tank on it. After noticing the tank wasn't fitting too well I took it off only to find out the only thing holding it on is two 5 or 6 mm bolts at the base of the back of the tank. I know there is supposed to be much more holding it in place but I really don't know what is missing and Acerbis doesn't list mounting parts for sale.

I would even be interested in copying someone's mounting hardware and making it myself but I currently have nothing to copy. If anyone has could supply pictures it would be a big help. Thanks!

Manymotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,335
In my case contacting acerbis was of no real help, ended up making my own mounts for a 5.8 on my Honda xr650l. I used a couple plastic grocery sacks with silicone caulk smooshed between to make an impression of upper motor mount bolt to tank recesses. I then made the middle mount from some 1/2" rod and some flat stock, and capped the ends with plastic.
I also made some brackets for the front from 1/8" aluminum that hook to tabs where my original air deflectors went. You may not need to get that carried away with your 4.25gal. If you really need em I can take some pics.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:15 AM   #3
Manymotos OP
Adventurer

Mounting hardware

Thanks for your input. Guess I'm trying to be optimistic again. Hoped and thought maybe someone out there might have a old damaged tank that the mounting hardware was still good on that wouldn't mine getting rid of it. Probably not going to happen but I'll give it a little more time.

Thanks again!
Old 03-23-2011, 06:57 AM   #4
Stump
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Hi, I managed to make my own mounting hardware. I will grab a couple of pictures later today and post them here.

Essentially, I replaced the top-most engine mount bolts with longer M8 bolts. Then sandwiched the stock tank rubber mountings on the end of these bolts. Kind of hard to explain.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:45 AM   #5
Manymotos OP
Adventurer

Acerbis tank

Stump,

Thanks for your reply. Yesterday I was looking at that upper engine mount bracket and thinking the same thing. It was obvious that Acerbis planned on sliding some kind of rubber dounut shaped stud into those slots on each side of the tank. Someone else mentioned using existing shrouds???? No clue as to what they were talking about.

Don't tear you tank off just to get pictures, I get the idea and I can work from that mount to develop the studs. If you just happen to have pictures from the installation please do sent them. I appreciate your help.

Manymotos
Old 03-27-2011, 08:31 AM   #6
waAvr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Acerbis tank hardware

Check this dr350 post:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230695&page=519

A rider wrecked his tank and may have the hardware to sell or pass on.

If this doesn't work, drop a note back and I can scan and email my instructions, poor as they are.
waAvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
asander1
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I have the same issue, going to go to the hardware store in the next day or 2 to source some stuff, will let you know what I find.

Here is a pic of the stuff it comes with:

Looks like I need longer bolts in the back and some metal sleeves, then a couple of longer bolts to tie into the top motor mount and some rubber cushions for the front...

Cheers,

asander1 screwed with this post 01-20-2012 at 04:38 PM Reason: clarity
asander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:27 AM   #8
mwilliamshs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
dnr?

Not sure if this can resuscitated or not...I need hardware now...anybody?
mwilliamshs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #9
pdegroote
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
similar problem

I'm looking at a similar issue... I have bought an acerbis tank, but I am missing the mounting hardware. As far as I know, the upper mountings of the engine are used with longer bolts. On one side the upper front mount on the other side the upper rear mount. Hence the asymetrical position of the slits in the tank. Possibly the stock rubber mounts can be re-used.

I will get back as soon as I've got a solution to the issue... Might take a few weeks, depending on workload at the paying job...
BMW R100R (sold)
pdegroote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #10
mwilliamshs
Gnarly Adventurer

yes & no

It's not longer bolts. You remove the existing nut and replace it with a coupling nut. It's female on both ends. Torque this to fasten the engine, then thread in a second bolt to retain the rubber tank mount. I haven't touched mine yet or even seen it actually but that's accurate info based on my research and the word of others. I also have a DR350 with the acerbis tank installed for reference. I bought this tank to outfit my 2nd bike. When I do get back to the farm and sort it all out I'll post pics. Good luck! Look forward to hearing back from you.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:05 AM   #11
mwilliamshs
Gnarly Adventurer

like this

and more specifically...
Old 08-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #12
pdegroote
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
ok, that helps ... thanks for the info.

rgds
Patrick
BMW R100R (sold)
pdegroote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #13
el_lobo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Maybe the measurement will be helpful ... ;)

Old 10-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #14
mwilliamshs
Gnarly Adventurer

update

^THAT'S AWESOME^

I didn't realize that had been posted. That's some great info.

I spoke with Acerbis U.S. today about the mounting kit. They're looking into it and I expect to hear from them in the next couple of days. If they can't come through I can definitely fab up a kit based on those^ dimensions, without having to disassemble my other bike with the tank already on it. THANKS!
Old 03-29-2014, 07:30 PM   #15
mwilliamshs
Gnarly Adventurer

update

I've taken the tank off the bike that came with it and sent the stand-off to the machine shop to be duplicated. I didn't take any measurements yet but I will. I did verify it's internally threaded with the same threads on both ends and the threads go all the way through. I don't think that the threads NEED to go all the way through. That would take a long tap and lots of patience. Again, I'll measure and verify all this.

Acerbis didn't have any standoffs in stock when I contacted them a few months back but they did send me some of the rubber donuts (which have a steel washer embedded in them) and the bolts that hold them to the standoff, all for free

Also, I found some VERY nice little brass tee fittings and VERY nice little hose clamps, both at NAPA. The tees are just as big as they have to be and the clamps are called "fuel injection" hose clamps. I like that their beveled edges don't cut into the hose and won't strip like cheapo (which they all seem to be nowadays) worm clamps.

mwilliamshs screwed with this post 03-29-2014 at 07:35 PM