Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2011, 07:14 PM   #16
wmax351
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
You may be able to take the disc off of the old wheel, and put them both on, along with a new caliper, and you will have much improved dual disks. I was working on that on my 550. For what ever reason, most of the 500-550's had the other fork leg drilled for the caliper, and bolts on the hub.
wmax351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:01 PM   #17
CoyoteCowboy
Easily Distracted

Oddometer: 308
Dual discs are kind of a toss up on these bikes. On one hand, it increases your braking power. But on the other hand, the factory discs were extremely heavy and even drilled and thinned they still weigh a ton. Caveat emptor and shit.

Before you even screw with putting the new points plate on, get in touch with Hondaman at the SOHC forums. He builds a very good solid-state ignition system for these bikes that utilizes the factory points as ground breakers and you can still leave the condensors on. If the unit ever does act up (though they have a pretty good track record for reliability) you can unhook the Hondaman ignition and simply reattach the wires to the condensors and ride away.

The same gentelman also installs bronze bushings in your swingarm and align-bores them. Use conical bearings in the steering neck. Download the factory manual here>> http://www.honda4fun.com/man_officina/man_officina.html

Get to know the guys at the SOHC forums. Great site, great people and one helluva resource for your CB!
Old 08-31-2011, 08:42 PM   #18
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,293
1971 500-4.....My first road bike in 1974.
I loved it and rode it up until 1983....I took my wife on our honeymoon on this bike in 1981.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:56 PM   #19
LoCoMatt
Busy

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteCowboy View Post
Download the factory manual here>>
I loooove the internet!

Getting ready to start a similar project. Good luck on this one!
LoCoMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:34 PM   #20
JBMorse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
I wouldn't bother with dual discs honestly. I don't think the 500 is fast enough to require them! A great upgrade, though, is stainless brake lines. Lots of us on the SOHC forums have used this guy:
http://slingshot-cycles.com/
Buy them through the forums and I think you get a little discount.
He does a nice job and is very reasonably priced on his brake lines.
There are a couple of builders who sell 4-4 stainless pipes for these bikes. They cost around the same as an NOS set from Honda but they are sure pretty. Do some searching on SOHC4.net and you'll find examples. My 500 has the mac 4-2 setup which isn't great but I don't mind it and I like the way it sounds. My next 500 may get either a used 550f system or a Motad system. Not sure yet.
If you're doing swingarm bushings, contact the aforementioned "hondaman" on the SOHC4 forums. He makes great replacement bushings suited to your bike. I haven't bought them yet but will. Tapered steering bearings are a great upgrade too and make a big difference. I don't know how original you're keeping your bike, but the rear shocks are junk and even a mediocre replacement like Progressive is a good idea. There's also Hagon.
I upgraded my coils to Dyna 5ohm coils but that wasn't really necessary. I just wanted some new stuff before my long trip last year. I kept the points ignition but there are a couple of solid state ignitions on the market (pamco and Dyna S). Hondaman's system keeps the points ignition but his unit does the heavy lifting, leaving points to do the switching only. This elongates the life of the points by a lot.
Looks like you're having fun with your bike! Keep it up.
JBMorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:49 PM   #21
Skowinski OP
Deuterostome

Oddometer: 5,197
Thanks much for all the ideas! I have signed up on the sohc4 forum, and it looks like a great resource.

redryder2 - thanks for the tip on the old copy of Cycle, might have to grab that.

wmax351 - looks like my other fork leg doesn't have mounts for the disc. Anyway I don't think I'll be riding this bike very fast.

CoyoteCowboy and JBMorse - thanks for the tips on electronic ignitions, steering head and swingarm bearings, etc.

LoCoMatt - good luck with your project!

And, bmwhacker - that's a cool story, honeymoon on a bike, cool, if she is the right kind of woman.

In the stage of repeatedly circling the bike in the garage, and making a mental list of things it needs. Probably should start writing this stuff down...

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:26 AM   #22
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,315
Quote:
Looks like someone decided a black hub and spokes was a good idea...

Good thing the bike came with this, I guess the PO was getting ready to fix that problem.
"Bing-bing-bing"-- that sets off a minor alarm. Check the front wheel (hub, bearings, etc) closely. A spare wheel and hub isn't casually tossed into a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote
Before you even screw with putting the new points plate on, get in touch with Hondaman at the SOHC forums. He builds a very good solid-state ignition system for these bikes that utilizes the factory points as ground breakers and you can still leave the condensors on.
That sounds similar to the "Dyna Points Booster" I use on my bike, and that setup is very recommended.

Quote:
In the stage of repeatedly circling the bike in the garage, and making a mental list of things it needs. Probably should start writing this stuff down...
Yes! That is a good approach.

This will be a good resto thread.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:27 PM   #23
Skowinski OP
Deuterostome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
"Bing-bing-bing"-- that sets off a minor alarm. Check the front wheel (hub, bearings, etc) closely. A spare wheel and hub isn't casually tossed into a deal.

That sounds similar to the "Dyna Points Booster" I use on my bike, and that setup is very recommended.

Yes! That is a good approach.

This will be a good resto thread.
Yep, all the bearings are going to be replaced anyway.

I read up on the Hondaman electronic ignition system. Just ordered one, sounds like the way to go. Only about $80, 5 year warranty, and if it goes FFFFfffffttttzzzzz... you take a few minutes and switch the wires and ride off using the stock points/condenser ignition, which remains on the bike.

Looks like most stuff I need is available. A few things are apparently hard to find, the airbox and the right side handlebar switch. My switch is old, faded, and the starter button fell out at some point (you can start it now by using the end of a mechanical pencil to push the internal part of the button assembly ).

Somehow I got lucky, found a guy on the SOHC4 forum who had a handlebar switch, new old stock. And, a complete airbox assembly, all bolts, clamps, filter, even a stock tool kit, showed up on ebay - I snagged it like a weasel jumping out of the bushes and grabbing a chicken.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #24
noman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
tools

you'll have fun with this, for sure.

have refreshed quite a few mid-seventies cb550/750's, one thing i use all the time is a hand held impact driver. i use it to remove those stupidly soft phillips head screws that are eveywhere (then i replace with allen heads). most times, i don't even try to use a screwdriver, i just smack 'em all to loosen then have at it.

good luck!
bobp
noman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #25
wmax351
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by noman View Post
you'll have fun with this, for sure.

have refreshed quite a few mid-seventies cb550/750's, one thing i use all the time is a hand held impact driver. i use it to remove those stupidly soft phillips head screws that are eveywhere (then i replace with allen heads). most times, i don't even try to use a screwdriver, i just smack 'em all to loosen then have at it.

good luck!
bobp

Worth trying an electric impact driver too. I have one of the 12 volt craftsman ones. Its a great tool for motorcycles. Doesn't strip even the worthless cheese head phillips screws on old japanese bikes. Hell of a lot faster too. If it doesn't get something out, then it is time for the hand impact driver.
wmax351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #26
BWatson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I'm restoring the same bike! Looking forward to watching your build.
BWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:36 AM   #27
Skowinski OP
Deuterostome

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWatson View Post
I'm restoring the same bike! Looking forward to watching your build.
Cool! I'm collecting photos of these things new, to reference during the rebuild. I can send them at some point if you want. Maybe you have some.

noman and wmax351: Those damn old phillips screws, yeah, what did they make those out of, old melted down beer cans? I was raised on 70's street bikes, and will never forget wrestling with them, stripping them, drilling them out, uggh... I think I said this isn't going to be a concours museum restoration, anything that can be improved (like an electronic ignition, for example) will likely get done, as long as it doesn't compromise the looks of the bike, I do want it to look original as much as possible. Yep, it might offend some purists, but allen heads are going in the engine cases everywhere those phillips head screws are...

Old 09-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #28
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,315
Quote:
I snagged it like a weasel jumping out of the bushes and grabbing a chicken.
Yep, you'll get that way.

Look around for a "parts breaker"-- they buy old bikes, and part them out. Back in the car days, we'd call them "junkyards". I know that there are a couple for BMW bikes, and I suspect that there are some that specialize in your type of bike. I've never checked for your type.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:03 PM   #29
noman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
resto

hey skow,
the full-on "resto" guys may sneer at non-OEM upgrades but f them. am currently just beginning my rebuild of a K6, starting with tapered roller head bearings. triples were stripped and painted today, and ready for the install tomorrow (stem in the freezer overnight, bearings heated w/wifes hairdrier and they'll plop right on).

then it's a full refresh on the forks (strip/clean, Progressive springs, synth fork oil, painted lowers, etc). then wheel bearings, tires, brakes, yahoo! until spring.

all this stuff makes for a better, more reliable ride than original. and i'll ride this somebitch without wincing over every new stone chip.
noman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:55 AM   #30
Skowinski OP
Deuterostome

I'm not a "restorer" so anything I change from original to make the bike better will not worry me. The looks need to be near original, but beyond that...

I forgot about those old ball bearing steering head bearings, is that what's in there? Seems I have dim memories of having those stupid ball bearings falling out when the triple clamps and steering stem are removed... yeah, tapered roller bearings for sure.

noman - where did you source the tapered roller steering head bearings?

Was just looking around for the best deal on new OEM exhaust systems, and noticed this:

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...9140#sch394585

The mounting brackets, parts 5,6,9,10 here (if this link works), don't seem to be sold. Anyone had to deal with getting these?